Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

"In homes where a meal is cooked on a gas stove once a week, 60 percent have pollutant levels so toxic that they would be illegal if measured outdoors."

The citation for this claim links to a berkeley lab article which talks about that claim, and in turn links to the primary source for the research. They never actually test air quality in a real home. It's all simulation models in R. The berkeley labs article is also arguing for the installation of effective range hoods and ranges with better burning efficiencies. I'l cede not knowing much about the extraction of natural gas, but there's safe ways to burn gas in the home. Restaurants use gas ranges and are subject to occupational exposure limits. I'm sure lots of line cooks are regularly poisoning themselves with no2, but in theory it can be done safely.

I'd like to think we can eventually have carbon neutral bioreactors producing natural gas to feed commercial and residential.

I'm not shilling for the oil industry, I just like cooking and electric ranges are universally garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i say swears online posted:

you can tell he's hiding his sharp-rear end elbows

the artist hates drawing elbows

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hooplah posted:

I'd like to think we can eventually have carbon neutral bioreactors producing natural gas to feed commercial and residential.

I'm not shilling for the oil industry, I just like cooking and electric ranges are universally garbage

unfortunately methane is such a potent greenhouse gas that even a little leakage ruins it for the climate.

Biden is going to be a massive shill for “renewable natural gas” even as the science shows it’s terrible for the climate.

But you can still burn wood!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

You'll take my gas range from my cold dead hands.

Induction is second best but it limits what kind of cookware you can use on it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i imagine if you completely eliminated coal, gas, and oil burning for electricity, transportation and industrial production, then natural gas for restaurant and home cooking would be incredibly negligible

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

unfortunately methane is such a potent greenhouse gas that even a little leakage ruins it for the climate.

Biden is going to be a massive shill for “renewable natural gas” even as the science shows it’s terrible for the climate.

But you can still burn wood!

yeah i understand it's a fraught viewpoint and completely personally motivated. I just really dont want to be forced into coils or induction

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Felix apperantly moved to Japan while I wasn't looking.

https://kotaku.com/student-arrested-for-allegedly-threatening-to-bomb-kona-1844230037

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

THS posted:

i imagine if you completely eliminated coal, gas, and oil burning for electricity, transportation and industrial production, then natural gas for restaurant and home cooking would be incredibly negligible

except it isn’t because you’d have to keep the entire natural gas production, supply and distribution system operational and that leaks a loving lot of methane.

Hooplah posted:

yeah i understand it's a fraught viewpoint and completely personally motivated. I just really dont want to be forced into coils or induction

Oh I hear ya. Like I too would rather have gas but doesn’t look too good in the future.

But yeah we’re so culturally unprepared to adapt to climate change that of course the Dems are going to gently caress it up and turn this country full fasc.

Like we need every single ICE vehicle to stop driving. Imagine the Biden plan to phase out cars. You know it will include tax credits for the rich and end up with riots in rural communities.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the settlers of catan boxes are a nice little detail

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It's incredible that Little-B kept the same glasses throughout his time in the YPP. I'd have lost that poo poo a dozen times over and just been blind.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Omnicarus posted:

It's incredible that Little-B kept the same glasses throughout his time in the YPP. I'd have lost that poo poo a dozen times over and just been blind.

He did constantly lose them, he just kept accidently taking out dug in enemies while trying to find them.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
if everything else is under control then methane isn't a problem. it's potent but has a low half life, so you really half to dump endless tonnes of the stuff to push the equivalence point further over to favouring significantly higher concentrations in atmosphere. CO2 is still the killer because even though it's not that potent, it lasts forever (or until a living process locks it up for a while), so it just accumulates in the air.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Apparently the reason he was mad was connection issues in a mobile game. So in that case I don't believe the the terrorist threat was warranted

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

why is he trying to look like an anime character

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lady Militant posted:

why is he trying to look like an anime character

very few anime character wear a beanie and basketball shorts

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Omnicarus posted:

they had multiple pairs on the set in Arizona

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Gripweed posted:

very few anime character wear a beanie and basketball shorts

why is the beanie is shaped like the head of a crayon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lady Militant posted:

why is the beanie is shaped like the head of a crayon

I don't know.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Toplowtech posted:

The Orange Cheetos is in the Guild of Calamitous Intent and Obama is in the Office of Secret Intelligence.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The Guild and OSI had a kayfabe rivalry with one stipulation that cops (and not civilians) are to be protected at all costs so it fits

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

The Orange Cheetos is in the Guild of Calamitous Intent and Obama is in the Office of Secret Intelligence.

That episode where the OSI guy gets SRS but it's Michelle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Retromancer posted:

That episode where the OSI guy gets SRS but it's Michelle

lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Someone photoshop a big H on Jeffery Epstein’s head.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

except it isn’t because you’d have to keep the entire natural gas production, supply and distribution system operational and that leaks a loving lot of methane.

Oh I hear ya. Like I too would rather have gas but doesn’t look too good in the future.

But yeah we’re so culturally unprepared to adapt to climate change that of course the Dems are going to gently caress it up and turn this country full fasc.

Like we need every single ICE vehicle to stop driving. Imagine the Biden plan to phase out cars. You know it will include tax credits for the rich and end up with riots in rural communities.

There's not enough cobalt or lithium world proven supplies to replace every combustion engine vehicle with electric, not by a long shot.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
what if... we didn't have personal cars...? :thunk:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Isn't The Machinist too recent to have a reboot

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Shipon posted:

There's not enough cobalt or lithium world proven supplies to replace every combustion engine vehicle with electric, not by a long shot.

make cities walkable, with an ascending order of filling the gaps with bicycles, buses, subways and light rail, and high speed rail. vehicles should be reserved for rural travel, utilities, and emergency services, and hauling materials where rail doesn’t make sense

all powered by nuclear energy but let’s try not to derail into that argument again

THS has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Jul 1, 2020

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Alternatively instead of further aggressive construction VHEMT.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

THS posted:

make cities walkable, with an ascending order of filling the gaps with bicycles, buses, subways and light rail, and high speed rail. vehicles should be reserved for rural travel, utilities, and emergency services, and hauling materials where rail doesn’t make sense

all powered by nuclear energy but let’s try not to derail into that argument again

There's no time like the present to try to cram as many people together as possible in small spaces, especially when they can't even go to shared public spaces due to a plague

THS
Sep 15, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

There's no time like the present to try to cram as many people together as possible in small spaces, especially when they can't even go to shared public spaces due to a plague

probably shouldn’t build cities around the issues of once-in-a-century plagues - and regardless you’re a loving moron because highly dense areas in asia were able to limit Covid through contact tracing, mass testing, and effective lockdowns

so a) lack of effective state action is what is causing the worst of the pandemic, not dense, walkable cities with public transport

and b) you’re a loving idiot dude

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shipon posted:

as others have pointed out, we still have to ban ICE vehicles even if as you correctly point out “replace them with EV POVs” doesn’t work either. like people whine about planes, but we’re not laying the groundwork to end the American Car Culture or hell just admit we need to wind down oil and gas as an industry.

THS posted:

probably shouldn’t build cities around the issues of once-in-a-century plagues - and regardless you’re a loving moron because highly dense areas in asia were able to limit Covid through contact tracing, mass testing, and effective lockdowns

so a) lack of effective state action is what is causing the worst of the pandemic, not dense, walkable cities with public transport

and b) you’re a loving idiot dude

yeah and it’s not like sprawl is saving Arizona or Georgia.

although climate change will make plagues more frequent. sars-cov2 isn’t the only one we’re getting this decade.

And we have the Democratic Party trying to outflank the Republicans on Climate Imperialism. The 2028 slogan for the DNC will “fight them there so we don’t have to here!”

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

what a loving stupid contrarian take. do you have an alternative, superior proposal? are you advocating for the status quo, like that's really working out for american cities?? serious matt yglesias vibes in this post

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shipon posted:

EVs also still pollute plenty, operating tires and brakepads dumps tons of particulates into the air. what we need to do is replace all those awful toxic rubber tires and brake pads with something more durable and able to break down into particulates, like steel wheels and airbrakes

though still you need to get more EVs off of the road, because of how ridiculously energy inefficient personal vehicles are, so some kind of higher-occupancy vehicle is in order, like maybe a sort of small bus

of course these specialized wheels and occupancy needs are likely unsuitable for a standard roadway, so we'll need to convert a lane or so in each direction on some major roadways to support these hypothetical future vehicles, which would even give us the opportunity to electrically power them from a constant source, rather than using banks and banks of polluting batteries and dealing with long charge times. in fact that would probably cost the same or even less than installing personal charging points everywhere like parking meters would otherwise need to be

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

EVs also still pollute plenty, operating tires and brakepads dumps tons of particulates into the air. what we need to do is replace all those awful toxic rubber tires and brake pads with something more durable and able to break down into particulates, like steel wheels and airbrakes

though still you need to get more EVs off of the road, because of how ridiculously energy inefficient personal vehicles are, so some kind of higher-occupancy vehicle is in order, like maybe a sort of small bus

of course these specialized wheels and occupancy needs are likely unsuitable for a standard roadway, so we'll need to convert a lane or so in each direction on some major roadways to support these hypothetical future vehicles, which would even give us the opportunity to electrically power them from a constant source, rather than using banks and banks of polluting batteries and dealing with long charge times. in fact that would probably cost the same or even less than installing personal charging points everywhere like parking meters would otherwise need to be

yeah idk people still crash a lot and that's a massive waste of resources. maybe if there was some way those hypothetical future vehicles could be made so you can't just drive them off the road somehow.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hooplah posted:

what a loving stupid contrarian take. do you have an alternative, superior proposal? are you advocating for the status quo, like that's really working out for american cities?? serious matt yglesias vibes in this post

yeah its work from home and revitalize dying small towns instead of all cramming into cities with skyrocketing real estate prices

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah idk people still crash a lot and that's a massive waste of resources. maybe if there was some way those hypothetical future vehicles could be made so you can't just drive them off the road somehow.

single lane enclosures on roads? maybe underground to limit exposure to pedestrians.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

yeah its work from home and revitalize dying small towns instead of all cramming into cities with skyrocketing real estate prices

this is absolutely not a hill to die on my dude

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"work from home in my small community, stay away from the gross teeming cities" as a solution to climate change is pretty much the biden plan. Just repeating the same poo poo republicans said in the 80s but calling it progressive.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm all for people living out in the sticks.

Other people, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted: