Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

March: Let's set up a remote site so we can print checks in the event there is a covid case in our main building
Early June: No-one is using the remote site, bring the equipment back so payroll doesn't have to go to another floor to print checks
Late June: COVID CASE BUILDING SHUTDOWN
July 1st: CAN'T DO PAYROLL WHY ISN'T THE REMOTE SITE READY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

The Fool posted:

March: Let's set up a remote site so we can print checks in the event there is a covid case in our main building
Early June: No-one is using the remote site, bring the equipment back so payroll doesn't have to go to another floor to print checks

Wait, you're Fairbanks Alaska right? Goodness, which of the three businesses has covid in the building?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sibling of TB posted:

Wait, you're Fairbanks Alaska right? Goodness, which of the three businesses has covid in the building?

Good memory, but I’m in Anchorage now

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

Lol

March: Hey let's setup tents outside the hospital for the overwhelming number of COVID people we'll have coming soon so we don't fill up the hospital.
May: Well that overwhelming number never showed up, guess COVID isn't bad, take the tents down
Beginning of June: Tents are down, back to normal procedures
End of June/July: Hey we're out of ICU beds and the hospital is almost full and we're down almost 60 staff due to the mandatory PDO we made everyone take or because staff are now testing positive, better start thinking about putting the tents back up and rescinding the mandatory PDO orders!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Microsoft made the most boneheaded decision for SharePoint Online

SharePoint, the product intended to be used as a replacement for SMB file shares, for businesses, blocks you from creating a folder called "Forms" at the root of a document library.

At the request of the Microsoft Forms team, because creating a folder called Forms in SharePoint Online might break their product

When you try to create the folder, it says it already exists

Microsoft Forms uses a hidden folder with that name as a dependency in their product

No business would ever, EVER want to create a folder called "Forms" right?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You know, I would say that , at this point, Windows as an OS needs to be nationalized. Take it away from a corporation, and put it in the hands of a third part, neutral organization.

but I also know that would just be just a different brand of poo poo :sigh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I, too, think “government” when I hear “neutral third party organization” :rolleyes:

Imagine how much more poo poo everything Microsoft would be if they paid civil servant salaries.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Might actually have Linux on the desktop then

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Microsoft made the most boneheaded decision for SharePoint Online

SharePoint, the product intended to be used as a replacement for SMB file shares, for businesses, blocks you from creating a folder called "Forms" at the root of a document library.

At the request of the Microsoft Forms team, because creating a folder called Forms in SharePoint Online might break their product

When you try to create the folder, it says it already exists

Microsoft Forms uses a hidden folder with that name as a dependency in their product

No business would ever, EVER want to create a folder called "Forms" right?

Forms is the hidden folder in sharepoint used for the aspx forms within sharepoint. That has been there since the start of sharepoint server. There are several badly chosen names that are restricted, older versions had even more restrictions that made it an awful choice to use as a file share replacement.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I, too, think “government” when I hear “neutral third party organization” :rolleyes:

Imagine how much more poo poo everything Microsoft would be if they paid civil servant salaries.

Federal employees doing programming can easily be around GS-14, which seems pretty decent given the benefits that come with the territory.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sheep posted:

Federal employees doing programming can easily be around GS-14, which seems pretty decent given the benefits that come with the territory.

Decent, yes. It’s also less than half or even one third of what you can make as a Microsoft SWE. I know not everything in life is about money... but money sure attracts talent.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

stevewm posted:

I gave one of those telecom brokers/middlemen a try... (Granite Communications if anyone is wondering). Sent them all our telecom bills. They promised to save a bunch and make it so we only pay one bill.

We have 14 locations, they can only do anything with 7 of them. The other 7 they can't touch. So much for one bill.

Their proposal showed $10k per year in savings.. Except they took the services they don't provide (such as security alarm monitoring) and included that in as a "savings". Also, when comparing the amounts from existing carriers, they used the full amount including extra fees like modem rentals, static IP, etc.. in the existing carrier figure. But their own figure does NOT include this, again inflating the "savings".

They also suggested we convert one location from 100Mbps fiber to 12Mbps DSL dry loop from Frontier. Sure its a $300 per month savings...(accounting for $3500 of the "10k" yearly savings) but exchanging an excellent service for a terrible one.

They also wanted to convert our POTS lines over to their hosted voice. Except most of our location phone systems are not SIP capable. Meaning a bunch of ATAs. Which was mentioned, but not factored in. (Need to upgrade these eventually, but its not in the cards, especially right now)

The whole thing was just one big LOL and a waste of time.

These people?

https://www.granitecomm.com/

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Sheep posted:

The government won't even promote programmers to 14 at the friggin' NSA, my poor naive friend.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Captain von Trapp posted:

The government won't even promote programmers to 14 at the friggin' NSA, my poor naive friend.

My coworkers are GS-13 and I'm basically high GS-13/low 14.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 7, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Contractors are another story. At some places ordinary contractor employees can make more than the director of the agency that hired them.

Still, having been in government acquisitions for a while, I'd hate to see what kind of F-35 monstrosity they'd produce as an operating system.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I guess at my old job, they ran some Windows 10 updates that broke some print drivers. They never ever ran any updates in the past. Like almost never. They don't have any patch management system so they're uninstall the update or installing a new update or whatever to fix the issue as people randomly restart their computers and it gets applied.

I heard the old boss is laughing "And Bob said we should be running updates all the time!"

:unsmith:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Captain von Trapp posted:

Contractors are another story. At some places ordinary contractor employees can make more than the director of the agency that hired them.

I am the only contractor, the rest are federal employees.

Edit: I mean, there are others but I wasn't talking about them in my post about pay rates.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 6, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Bob Morales posted:

I guess at my old job, they ran some Windows 10 updates that broke some print drivers. They never ever ran any updates in the past. Like almost never. They don't have any patch management system so they're uninstall the update or installing a new update or whatever to fix the issue as people randomly restart their computers and it gets applied.

I heard the old boss is laughing "And Bob said we should be running updates all the time!"

:unsmith:

Did they just blindly install all updates without reading the KBs

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

Did they just blindly install all updates without reading the KBs

lol come on

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Next you're going to tell me they didn't have a test group

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have never, in all of my years, worked at a place where someone read all of the patch notes on Windows Updates before applying them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

I have never, in all of my years, worked at a place where someone read all of the patch notes on Windows Updates before applying them.

I haven't. That is what the test group is for and its why we delay updates a bit. I wait for other folks to beta test them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Updates have been disabled.

:effort:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

I haven't. That is what the test group is for and its why we delay updates a bit. I wait for other folks to beta test them.

"We don't need to test the patches. Microsoft does that before they release them."

Person who said that supports Manufacturing in Europe.

Europe is not allowed to touch our lab machines. Any lab.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

haha yup. They must be pinging their gateway from inside that network or some dumb poo poo.
Works for me now though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Four-week testing rotation, test-pilot-general-special. Ideally, you discover any issues in the test-pilot phase before they get pushed out to all workstations and most servers, and anything that slips through gets discovered before it hits your mission-critical stuff.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Testing a new cloud-friendly backup system today. Pretty cool feature set, pretty intuitive interface, liking the ease of both VM- and file-level restores.

Hmm, what's this? Assigning ownership of a VM? Alright, let's play with this. *click*

quote:

Warning: changing ownership of a VM will delete all data taken by the previous owner. Are you sure you want to do this?

that's...

No. It can't possibly mean what I think it means. There's no way they'd design a backup product that would make it that trivially easy to delete...*click*

quote:

LOL KISS YOUR BACKUPS GOODBYE. ISN'T AN EMPTY "BACKUPS" PANE BEAUTIFUL?

are.
You.
loving.
KIDDING ME?!

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 7, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Which one

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:emptyquote:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A cloud provider that shall go unnamed have been emailing me to ask me to do something because a record retention job is failing and there might a ~SYSTEM OUTAGE~

The first time they emailed me I pointed out this record retention job is on their server, which I don't have access to and which they are responsible for.

I ignored the subsequent 3 emails but gave in and tried replying again this morning... Just had an email to say "we can see it's running successfully now"

I'm glad I fixed it for you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

someone in slack: "bios settings on this server are wrong!"
everyone: "OH NO your cmos battery is dead. You should unplug and leave the system powered off for 24 hours to check if true."
me: "how about lm_sensors and check the voltage?"
everyone: "did anyone hear a fly buzzing?"
everyone: "anyways you can also pull the battery from a known good server and see if your bios settings persist. this definitely makes more sense than any other solution that could possibly exist"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a server, it's only going to get shutdown to pull it out the rack and scrap it, who cares if the BIOS battery is dead.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The tech that gets there after the UPS fails

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How old does a server need to be for BIOS settings to not be stored in flash memory?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Old enough for the battery to go flat. On desktops that is usually 4 years or so. Also it might not even be a real server from a known provider with support etc. In too many small businesses ther server is an old beige box sitting in the corner with no monitor attached.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poo poo pissing me off (and 2 other guys more than me).

Had 2 other engineers out at a client doing some hands-on stuff while I was working remotely with them, they've been there since the end of last week.

Found out they had someone test positive for COVID mid-week last week and have known about it for at least a few days and decided not to tell us; the guy hasn't been back in the office but everyone else that was around him has been there.

If I was in a position of power I would fire this client so fast into the sun they would go through without being reduced to ash.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Here's a big facepalm from Global Networking.

A couple of my scientists built some kickin' rad analysis workstations. Dual RTX cards, gobs of RAM, the works. They request, receive, and successfully configure static IPs.

Now they can connect outbound to anything, but nothing can connect to those machines by any protocol, especially RDP which is super useful these days. My tech who catches the ticket escalates to me. I'm stumped too, so I open an incident with the NOC.

A week later I work my way up to someone who says "Of course you can't connect to those machines, there's a deny all ACL on that VLAN."

Thanks a whole loving lot for the useless static IPs. Fix this poo poo, I don't care how.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Long story short, previous company filed a false report to the Korean government (Ministry of Employment and Labour) that I quit the job on February of my own accord. I only found this out when I tried to claim unemployment benefit starting May, and had to threaten with multiple law suits in order to get it fixed to 'laid off'. Basically missing overtime payments, extra work days without pay and forceful lay off, all of them are treated as serious offense and could land the CEO in jail. I just told them they won't be hearing from me as long as I get my benefit, so they were quick to fix that. So I thought I would be getting $1,600 a month benefit for 6 months, then I apparently got accepted somewhere so that's going to be a good bye :smith: Currently at the final stage of wage negotiation.

But seriously, it's been a year of job hunting nightmare. I wouldn't be angry if technical interviewers only asked about technical stuff then failed me (that way I at least know I need more studying to do), but saying they failed me because they didn't think I would fit in with them would make me so stressed and raged each time. Are other countries like that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aesis posted:

But seriously, it's been a year of job hunting nightmare. I wouldn't be angry if technical interviewers only asked about technical stuff then failed me (that way I at least know I need more studying to do), but saying they failed me because they didn't think I would fit in with them would make me so stressed and raged each time. Are other countries like that too?

It is in the US. "Culture" fit is important. Why would I want to throw sand in the gears by hiring someone I know will knock heads with the rest of the team? And as difficult as it can be to get rid of someone like that after they're hired in the US, I can't imagine the nightmare it would be in Korea if things are how you say they are.

I hope your not complaining about your previous employer the way you are here, that would immediately strike you from consideration anywhere true or not. I mean this is the place to vent about it, not during an interview.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 10, 2020