Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/jewishaction/status/1278340461682442241?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean the heraldic eagle is used in a lot of stuff, it's definitely nationalist but idk if I'd say it's nazi appropriation.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The people running Trump's branding are very good about maintaining plausible deniability for any specific thing that could be Nazi-related, but overall, it's pretty clear that these aren't coincidences.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Between brexit, british tourists/expats, and bojo I really want to thank the UK for making us yanks look a little less bad.

Brits living in Spain while enthusiastically voting "leave" will never not cheer me up.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PetraCore posted:

I mean the heraldic eagle is used in a lot of stuff, it's definitely nationalist but idk if I'd say it's nazi appropriation.

It's not a style that I can find commonly used in this orientation in the US.

It looks definitively different than any other US seal bearing the eagle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PetraCore posted:

The Ferret King posted:

Also America First was literally the slogan of American Nazis in the 1930s

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

captainOrbital posted:

D'souza, Tim Pool, Paul J Watson, and IMC.

Four-way Dumb-off.

WHO WILL REIGN

EL BROMANCE posted:

Imagine how stupid someone would have to be to tweet alongside Bill Mitchell and be considered the idiot in the conversation.

Speaking of which, Bad Covid Takes has a chain just of his tweets, and last I looked they hit 60. Probably more since. The guy just extraordinarily stupid and should probably be studied for science purposes.

HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT BILL MITCHELL

WHY DID I HAVE TO REMEMBER

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Between brexit, british tourists/expats, and bojo I really want to thank the UK for making us yanks look a little less bad.

Brits living in Spain while enthusiastically voting "leave" will never not cheer me up.

It's the equivalent of the people who voted for Trump based on his "deport illegal immigrants" promise while being married to illegal immigrants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJbSvidohg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT BILL MITCHELL

WHY DID I HAVE TO REMEMBER

Swap him in for D'Souza. I think Dinesh knows his statements aren't indicative reality, he's just a hateful motherfucker.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AlexJungle2/status/1278035268252176388

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's a generation of people who've never suffered a significant consequence to any of their actions and who's worst tribulation was when the bins weren't collected for a couple of weeks, a memory that has deeply scarred them and drives much of their political leanings.

Bad things just don't happen to them, you see the same thing with all the ridiculous over the top wailing with covid about having to wear masks or not see their grandkids for a few weeks (while all the actually old people dying by their thousands is brushed under the carpet). This is the worst thing they can imagine ever happening or it will be until Brexit and then climate change really start to bite.

Algol Star has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Jul 1, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Ferret King posted:

It's not that I don't think anyone working merchandising for Trump isn't a Nazi. It's that I think they're too lazy for anything they touch to not be wholesale stolen from what's immediately around them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

there wolf posted:

It's not that I don't think anyone working merchandising for Trump isn't a Nazi. It's that I think they're too lazy for anything they touch to not be wholesale stolen from what's immediately around them.

You'll notice basically all US military symbols have the eagle facing left. There is a famous military that has it facing right but I can't remember which.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would be ridiculous to accuse the United States Marine Corps of being Nazis.

Ridiculous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Algol Star posted:

There's a generation of people who've never suffered a significant consequence to any of their actions and who's worst tribulation was when the bins weren't collected for a couple of weeks, a memory that has deeply scarred them and drives much of their political leanings.

Bad things just don't happen to them, you see the same thing with all the ridiculous over the top wailing with covid about having to wear masks or not see their grandkids for a few weeks (while all the actually old people dying by their thousands is brushed under the carpet). This is the worst thing they can imagine ever happening or it will be until Brexit and then climate change really start to bite.

The old woman who called into the radio and took about four minutes to go from "it's all very overblown" to "I literally would rather die than not go to the beach" would fit well ITT

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

You'll notice basically all US military symbols have the eagle facing left. There is a famous military that has it facing right but I can't remember which.

IIRC that’s only since Truman. If you go back earlier you can find rightward facing eagles I think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

IIRC that’s only since Truman. If you go back earlier you can find rightward facing eagles I think.

Weird. Wonder what changed right around then.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Not men. Us

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The old woman who called into the radio and took about four minutes to go from "it's all very overblown" to "I literally would rather die than not go to the beach" would fit well ITT

so dramatic, it makes me want to set myself on fire

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always find the eagle holding the bundle of arrows a bit... iffy. Liiittle bit close to a fasces there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I always find the eagle holding the bundle of arrows a bit... iffy. Liiittle bit close to a fasces there.

I got some bad news about the Lincoln memorial and the dime

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I have bad news about the Lincoln Memorial

e: Oh for gently caress's sake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, I never knew that. What an odd symbol to associate with him.

I guess at the time it's presumably the idea of it being the symbol of statesmanship, and imposing the law on secessionists and all that.

I guess 1920 is a little bit early for the more recent connotation.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

traditionally it was tribunes of the plebs who carried fasces since they were sacrosanct within the city

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

Weird. Wonder what changed right around then.

The rationale was that they wanted the eagle to be facing towards peace or something like that. Could be because of the Nazis, could have been some performative Cold War poo poo to try and make us seem more peaceful than the commies. I dunno.

This was around the same time we awkwardly shoved Under God into the pledge to own the left

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

there wolf posted:

It's really easy for me to see that as a distinctly different design. I guess it depends on where one places their charitable interpretation.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The actual fasces doesn't pop up much in American-style fascism. They usually just skip straight to Nazi poo poo or being way into Norse symbols and whatnot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The Ferret King posted:

It's really easy for me to see that as a distinctly different design. I guess it depends on where one places their charitable interpretation.

Although “it’s not just a symbol for fascists, the marines use it” is kind of a lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, I never knew that. What an odd symbol to associate with him.

I guess at the time it's presumably the idea of it being the symbol of statesmanship, and imposing the law on secessionists and all that.

I guess 1920 is a little bit early for the more recent connotation.

The fasces is an ancient symbol of non-royal authority taken from the Roman Republic. The US used it in various forms before the fascist movement even existed.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Algol Star posted:

This becomes more and more obvious every day as the pandemic, Brexit and economic crisis grinds on and seemingly the entire population aged over 45 just thinks any negative impacts don't exist or can be solved by "optimism :downs: "...until an impact gets to them at which point they flip out.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason young kids throw tantrums over seemingly petty stuff is because they lack both the life experience and the introspective ability to see that it isn't a big deal. When you're four accidentally dropping your ice cream at the beach is quite literally one of the worst things that has ever happened to you so you react accordingly.

That might be pop-psych :biotruths: bullshit, but it really seems to explain so much about a lot of people just dismissing even the possibility of having difficulty using their house in France if they vote to leave the EU or getting all fraught when they have to wait a few minutes to be let into a shop.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Somebody hasn't conducted the famous scientific experiment "the dutch oven"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

And yet you wear pants. Curious!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Ferret King posted:

Not in the posing of the eagle over the globe which is how it resembles the nazi symbol it was being compared to.

For me Occam's razor favors whatever answer meant the least work for Trump's campaign, and that emblem is on the hat of every dress marine that serves Trump (in gold.) I think the marines and the US's own relationship to fascist iconography is a better explanation than the idea that someone was trying to covertly copy an overt nazi icon when designing the shirt.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tear down all Lincoln statues imo

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1278316325044056064

I loving wish.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Well, he's right a lot of republicans will be dead within a year if Biden wins. Or if Trump wins. Because they're a party of olds in denial about a deadly pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well, he's right a lot of republicans will be dead within a year if Biden wins. Or if Trump wins. Because they're a party of olds in denial about a deadly pandemic.

If only the pandemic hit last year.