Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

I managed seven wins but I'm fundamentally opposed to "you have to spend the weekend grinding or you miss the rewards forever", I've got poo poo to do man :v:

Are there rewards beyond the icons? I really hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Are there rewards beyond the icons? I really hope not.

Bonus XP for more wins, but that's it

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Stormgale posted:

Bonus XP for more wins, but that's it

But they cut the normal XP rewards in half for gauntlet. Don't know how they shake out at the end, but it's definitely a "but why?"

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
After grinding up to Plat 1 last season pretty effortlessly primarily with burn but with a variety of decks I have found myself COMPLETELY incapable of winning more than 1 game out of 3 (if I'm lucky, at that) after getting back to Gold IV, and I have absolutely no idea why at all.

I have a couple high ranked control decks, a good midrange option, and whatever burn deck I want to play, and it does not seem to matter what I try to grind up with, I keep losing. The only thing I can think of is that, maybe, my MMR last season was hosed because it was the first season I played and now my rapid progress last season is throwing me up against high MMR players now? I consider myself pretty good at card games, so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PJOmega posted:

But they cut the normal XP rewards in half for gauntlet. Don't know how they shake out at the end, but it's definitely a "but why?"

Like recently or are you talking about the cut way back during beta? That one was offset by better XP for normal wins and MUCH better weekly rewards. Getting a champion wildcard instead of a random champ is huge, and becomes even more pronounced once you have all the champions

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

goferchan posted:

Like recently or are you talking about the cut way back during beta? That one was offset by better XP for normal wins and MUCH better weekly rewards. Getting a champion wildcard instead of a random champ is huge, and becomes even more pronounced once you have all the champions

No, I mean in Gauntlet you get 100xp for a win and 50xp for a loss.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PJOmega posted:

Ohhhh sorry, I was thinking expedition. Gotcha

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

PJOmega posted:

I literally haven't played a Normal match since the first day I started but isn't that the XP payout for that mode too?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

I literally haven't played a Normal match since the first day I started but isn't that the XP payout for that mode too?

200 for a win, 100 for a loss, with the loss reducing to 50 and then eventually 0 after some number of losses. This is for ranked and normal constructed.

Direct challenges are also 200/100, with a hard cap of five wins AND five losses.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

goferchan posted:

Ohhhh sorry, I was thinking expedition. Gotcha

All solid, I honestly keep forgetting Expeditions are even a thing.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sab Sabbington posted:

After grinding up to Plat 1 last season pretty effortlessly primarily with burn but with a variety of decks I have found myself COMPLETELY incapable of winning more than 1 game out of 3 (if I'm lucky, at that) after getting back to Gold IV, and I have absolutely no idea why at all.

I have a couple high ranked control decks, a good midrange option, and whatever burn deck I want to play, and it does not seem to matter what I try to grind up with, I keep losing. The only thing I can think of is that, maybe, my MMR last season was hosed because it was the first season I played and now my rapid progress last season is throwing me up against high MMR players now? I consider myself pretty good at card games, so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

i think matchmaking is going to be a bit wonky at the beginning of the season. for example, i got to mid diamond last season, which after the reset put me in gold. since i haven't played ladder much at all i'm still there. so you could be queueing into diamond level players right now, even though you'll both be ranked low gold

i imagine people will end up back at their 'true' mmr in a week or two

edit: i've always had the best luck on ladder by sticking to one deck i like to play and learning it inside-and-out. maybe having all those options is working against you

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 3, 2020

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Does Riptide Rex have some interaction where he went target a spiderling? I just had a game where I cast him twice and both times he ignored a spiderling my opponent had on the board. Both times opponent only had 4 or so creatures. It's possible it was just the luck of the RNG and it didn't really effect the outcome of the game but it was still weird.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
He picks targets at random so it's behaving correctly unless the spiderling was the only unit the opponent had.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

How can we make Gauntlet more tedious to reach 7? Let's make it incredibly high variance and the games take forever via Singleton!!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Pilchenstein posted:

He picks targets at random so it's behaving correctly unless the spiderling was the only unit the opponent had.

Thought so, just seemed pretty unlikely to happen twice so wondered if there was some weird interaction with generated units.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
anivia/braum is fun as hell. i mained anivia in LoL so i'm glad to see her in a competitive deck

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I just noticed the two icons from the last gauntlet are listed as being from "Standard Gauntlet 2020" so I guess there's less of a panic to obtain the icons from gauntlet if they're repeating the same types over and over :v:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Pilchenstein posted:

I just noticed the two icons from the last gauntlet are listed as being from "Standard Gauntlet 2020" so I guess there's less of a panic to obtain the icons from gauntlet if they're repeating the same types over and over :v:

The icons aren’t very good either, I think I’ll stick to poros.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

the bonus XP wasn't even that good...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gauntlet needs adjusting imo. Maybe not 7 wins, and maybe not sudden death at 7 wins.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The entire concept of the gauntlet is poo poo tbh, just ignore it :v:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

The entire concept of the gauntlet is poo poo tbh, just ignore it :v:

But fomo!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

PJOmega posted:

But fomo!
I've got seven wins in both normal gauntlet and singleton, so I'm free until they have a new idea :v:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm loving the gauntlet format, if only because it rewards wins over speed.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
You get more xp per game from ranked and more per win from expedition don't you? Regardless, not really seeing the big need for "expeditions but with netdecking" :v:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Pilchenstein posted:

You get more xp per game from ranked and more per win from expedition don't you? Regardless, not really seeing the big need for "expeditions but with netdecking" :v:

I think that Gauntlet gives the same XP per game as Ranked, plus the bonus XP for winning.

Ranked is broken because it rewards speed over winrate. A deck that wins 55% of the time and has the game decided by Turn 6 is way better than a deck that wins 62% of the time that drags into Round 18, when you're playing in Ranked.

That's not true in Gauntlet. The Gauntlet structure is a better test of skill/deck quality than Ranked.

I don't know how one calculates XP/hour, though, so who knows.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I want to say gauntlet games give half the xp of ranked, same as expeditions? I don't pay that much attention though, so don't quote me.

CitizenKeen posted:

The Gauntlet structure is a better test of skill/deck quality than Ranked.
This is pure nonsense lol, even when they're doing the normal deck gauntlet the skills involved in making and playing a deck don't change just because you're bitter about aggro decks earning rank faster than control :v:

As for the singleton gauntlet, I got my seven wins with an aggro deck because swapping the 2nd and 3rd copies of each unit for other units that cost the same seemed easier than actually theorycrafting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I want to say gauntlet games give half the xp of ranked, same as expeditions? I don't pay that much attention though, so don't quote me.

This is pure nonsense lol, even when they're doing the normal deck gauntlet the skills involved in making and playing a deck don't change just because you're bitter about aggro decks earning rank faster than control :v:

In ranked you're rewarded for snap conceding as soon as your game becomes untenable or even if you get paired against a bad matchup. Your goal is net wins per hour, so of course the meta is going to favor aggro decks racing to out aggro. And that's fine, that's not a complaint, it's simply a difference in formats. 52% speed deck outperforms a 62% late game deck in climbing rank.

Gauntlet rewards you for playing a deck well. 52% isn't going to get you to 7 wins, even assuming you speed coin flip game 1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That's a way overstated concept that migrated from hearthstone. A 55% winrate will take roughly twice as many games to rank up as a 60% winrate and 52 vs 62 would require you to play 6x as many games with the faster deck. Theres no way that's worth it! Maybe you could say most people in ranked are just doing dailies which may well be true.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 7, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm not bitter about aggro - I play it from time to time, I usually beat aggro because I play midrange, and whether I play it or not, aggro forms a healthy part of the meta.

I would point out your ignorance, which is particularly brazen with your "nonsense lol", but PJOmega has already outlined what you're missing. Seven wins in Gauntlet is a far greater demonstration of skill than seven wins in Ranked.

PJOmega posted:

In ranked you're rewarded for snap conceding as soon as your game becomes untenable or even if you get paired against a bad matchup. Your goal is net wins per hour, so of course the meta is going to favor aggro decks racing to out aggro. And that's fine, that's not a complaint, it's simply a difference in formats. 52% speed deck outperforms a 62% late game deck in climbing rank.

Gauntlet rewards you for playing a deck well. 52% isn't going to get you to 7 wins, even assuming you speed coin flip game 1.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
And that's disregarding things like brain drain and knowledge required to make a deck perform at 62% win rate. For the magic example, KCI was an unbeatable deck in the hand of maybe 1 or 2 players who were savants who knew the deck like the back of their dick, but while it was strong in other player's hands it shone in theirs.

Aggro takes skill, not saying its mindless, but the play patterns are more immediate. You're not trying to forecast 6 rounds ahead to figure out if you need to spend removal or a trick now or save it for engine running later.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
If gauntlet was some super challenging hardcore mode where only the best players with 60%+ winrate decks could get to seven wins then I, with my brazen ignorance, wouldn't have gotten seven wins on both gauntlets so far :v:

What you're arguing is that people who can only play ranked the "optimal" way by playing as many games as possible in the least amount of time using a deck with a marginal winrate probably won't do well in gauntlet and that's true, but if you don't play ranked like that then gauntlet is exactly the same game and requires the exact same skills.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

CitizenKeen posted:

Seven wins in Gauntlet is a far greater demonstration of skill than seven wins in Ranked.

Unfortunately, it's not, especially for Singleton. The skill level of your average opponent in Gauntlet is far lower compared to Ranked. For example, on my 7th Singleton match, my final boss made so many misplays that I've never actually seen made even in Platinum level Ranked.

I've first tried 7-win both of the Gauntlets, and I barely able to get a 50/50 record in Ranked. The lack of matchmaking MMR is quite noticeable.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-1-5-notes-labs/

They moved some changes up from patch 1.6. Pilfered goods 3 mana, Solitary Monk 3/3 instead of 4/3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cards from the original Demacia elusive list that have been nerfed:

Inspiring Mentor
Navori Conspirator
Stand Alone
Solitary Monk
Back to Back
Deny
Kinkou Lifeblade

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Pilfered goods nerf is enormous and well deserved

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol you can also see your opponents deck name now. It's a bug though

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

goferchan posted:

Lol you can also see your opponents deck name now. It's a bug though

I both like that and can see it being a super problem.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PJOmega posted:

I both like that and can see it being a super problem.

Yeah devs responded to it on reddit and they're gonna fix it ASAP but lol it makes for some good flavor right now . I think it's a weird edge case anyway that you only see if you're playing on PC and get matched against someone on a phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The new labs mode is total shite lol