Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dustcat posted:

that's the big reason why fyad turning on other SA forums resulted in everything blowing up. if it had stuck to laughing at reddit posts and wikipedia, nobody here would have cared, but it had to go after other goons, especially of a vulnerable and persecuted demographic, and everyone got justifiably mad.

also not one person in that thread came up with an explanation for why the 'obviously transphobic posts that no one wanted' would get empty quoted dozens of times and not a single fyad user would tell them to shut up or go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What do you mean! They're just lulcows!

It has nothing to do with their vulnerabilites, mental health or their gender identity!

They're all just gross weirdos! I heard they're pedos! You don't defend pedos, do you??

I'm just asking questions! Seriously it had nothing to do with them being easy targets to pick on and smear!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zarin posted:

This is an excellent post.

Goon-on-Goon violence is and will always be a thing, and in most cases, is probably fine. For example, when Owlofcreamcheese continuously shits up his own Coronavirus thread, there's no harm in a chorus of posters telling him to shut the gently caress up.

We can quibble about where the line is, but I think it should go without saying that FYAD's brand of mockery eventually crossed that line - deliberately and repeatedly - and that's how it came to be closed.

I’d say part of it should also come down to consent, and degree. Giving Plinkey poo poo occasionally for eating weird stuff? That’s relatively harmless.

But again, degree: if he got dogpiled every time he posted for pages and pages, I think that would cross the line. Likewise if people followed him anywhere he posted on SA to make fun of him, until he could not post anywhere without getting into an argument. And consent: if he came out and said that the food joking was really starting to upset him, and he asked people to stop, people should back off. It’s the difference between being in a fight club, and stomping on a person’s head when they’re down- we can quibble about where exactly to draw the line, but a line does get crossed at some point.

FYAD had none of those community-enforced limits when things got bad, which is why “trans people (ie. CB) asked them to stop harassing them” resulted in the problem posters doubling down, and doubling down again, rather than backing off. Which is also how an FYAD poster calling for gays to get genocided received not a single negative word from his fellow posters. When your posting group cultivates ‘ironic detachment’ to unhealthy degree, people stop speaking up about anything- and when somebody’s posting stuff that egregious, I think it’s the duty of any right-minded poster in the thread to stop, say “what the gently caress is wrong with you??”, and make it clear that that poo poo isn’t welcome.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

imo nothing wrong with mocking people who deserve it, but trans goons did not deserve it.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Fly Molo posted:

I’d say part of it should also come down to consent, and degree. Giving Plinkey poo poo occasionally for eating weird stuff? That’s relatively harmless.

this should be ramped up btw. we need to bully him for his health

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
I think there being no community standard for fairness or conscientious posting due to the structure of the website, which will inevitably cause friction, and will continue to cause friction until there's some kind of structural change. Otherwise, the culture is going to continue to stagnate and die.

The tribalism isn't something you're allowed to opt-out of because there's a dissonance between "SomethingAwful is the last bastion of free posting" and "love it or leave it" both covering for shithead behavior from the top down.

e:

Fly Molo posted:

But again, degree: if he got dogpiled every time he posted for pages and pages, I think that would cross the line. Likewise if people followed him anywhere he posted on SA to make fun of him, until he could not post anywhere without getting into an argument. And consent: if he came out and said that the food joking was really starting to upset him, and he asked people to stop, people should back off. It’s the difference between being in a fight club, and stomping on a person’s head when they’re down- we can quibble about where exactly to draw the line, but a line does get crossed at some point.

FYAD had none of those community-enforced limits when things got bad, which is why “trans people (ie. CB) asked them to stop harassing them” resulted in the problem posters doubling down, and doubling down again, rather than backing off. Which is also how an FYAD poster calling for gays to get genocided received not a single negative word from his fellow posters. When your posting group cultivates ‘ironic detachment’ to unhealthy degree, people stop speaking up about anything- and when somebody’s posting stuff that egregious, I think it’s the duty of any right-minded poster in the thread to stop, say “what the gently caress is wrong with you??”, and make it clear that that poo poo isn’t welcome.

Nineball fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 1, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fyad could basically do whatever they wanted 24/7 with full admin protection, but to their brains that translated to "admins can't touch me because i'm so cool and good at posting"

they really have a "white dude so used to privilege that even the mildest equality is seen as oppression" energy to them

e:

Fly Molo posted:

:agreed:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 1, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dustcat posted:

that's the big reason why fyad turning on other SA forums resulted in everything blowing up. if it had stuck to laughing at reddit posts and wikipedia, nobody here would have cared, but it had to go after other goons, especially of a vulnerable and persecuted demographic, and everyone got justifiably mad.

People who were more involved in the now closed thread had bigger posts that are more worth reading but I think like a lot of stuff that happened in the long long years of 7?ish months ago theres a bit of mischaracterization or misrembering of the exact mechanics of the shutdown, not that the posts that are pretty universally decided as bad were bad and punishments handed out, but I think there really is another pool of time where because of different mod decisions the trouble was handled quickly and justly and passed. Just from my own memory for instance something that's was only partially commented on was the legitimate flood of posters from forums like kiwifarms posting awful poo poo to further antagonize and upset vulnerable posters and make things worse, as the mods and admins continued to not take any real strong stances for a long time which just made everything more volatile and people angrier.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kind of just seems like a general "don't poo poo where you eat" thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Giga Gaia posted:

the forums have moved onto cyrano, keep up asema jeez

That cyrano stuff is real hosed up and surprised me because I had a postiive view of them honestly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Kind of just seems like a general "don't poo poo where you eat" thing.

I think a bunch of my favorite sa content historically was posters from fyad coming out to mock something a poster in another subforum was doing, like the zipline or cult of the low carb. Also sometimes just general mockery of the odd idiosyncratic styles of self-important posting that arises for various reasons that I found funny. I wouldn't call it a universal rule and think in this situation there was a bunch of other factors at play, including the incident that started the whole mess with weapon brown guy. I view the whole situation less as one inciting incident with fyad and more a continual ongoing event that started before it and you might even say is still happening now and possibly might not ever stop in the worst case.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 1, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Yinlock posted:

fyad could basically do whatever they wanted 24/7 with full admin protection, but to their brains that translated to "admins can't touch me because i'm so cool and good at posting"

they really have a "white dude so used to privilege that even the mildest equality is seen as oppression" energy to them

e:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Sharkopath posted:

People who were more involved in the now closed thread had bigger posts that are more worth reading but I think like a lot of stuff that happened in the long long years of 7?ish months ago theres a bit of mischaracterization or misrembering of the exact mechanics of the shutdown, not that the posts that are pretty universally decided as bad were bad and punishments handed out, but I think there really is another pool of time where because of different mod decisions the trouble was handled quickly and justly and passed. Just from my own memory for instance something that's was only partially commented on was the legitimate flood of posters from forums like kiwifarms posting awful poo poo to further antagonize and upset vulnerable posters and make things worse, as the mods and admins continued to not take any real strong stances for a long time which just made everything more volatile and people angrier.

i have no doubt that there are several goons with kiwifarms accounts and vice versa, but i don't believe they were what brought down fyad

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yinlock posted:

e:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dustcat posted:

i have no doubt that there are several goons with kiwifarms accounts and vice versa, but i don't believe they were what brought down fyad

More an example of one mitigating factor than a wholesale cause.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

i take it back qcs owns

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

lmfao credit where credit is due:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931096

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The poster who said that fyad talked poo poo got hit was right.thats it.

Also i really like cspam but what happened to fyad should be a cautionary tale about comunities becaming insulated. Calling out poo poo posting in d&d is fun and all but sometimes i think we focus on that too much.

Its me , im the decorum poisoned.

Edit:^^holy lol^^

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 1, 2020

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Giga Gaia posted:

i take it back qcs owns

qcs and its function is distilled SA

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sharkopath posted:

That cyrano stuff is real hosed up and surprised me because I had a postiive view of them honestly.

Wait, what stuff? I kinda had that same opinion, ugh, I have a feeling that's about to be dispelled somehow.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zarin posted:

Wait, what stuff? I kinda had that same opinion, ugh, I have a feeling that's about to be dispelled somehow.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Nineball posted:

qcs and its function is distilled SA

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

dex_sda posted:

We could have set up a cow-killing commune but the mods look down on this smh

Can we eat the cows that we kill?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQB1RG8y1I

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo what

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zarin posted:

he got caught agreeing with Islamophobia and is trying to quietly close threads to make the accusations go away

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

This is extremely petty of me but the Cyrano stuff is darkly humorous after the word chud was banned in TFR for being dehumanizing (fair, but also thats a dumbass rule I say, posting in CSPAM). Oops!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Algund Eenboom posted:

I would say that this is a foundational aspect of cspam also, except the people who post in succ and trump threads aren’t funny

it's true. and people rolling into cspam and ribbing people keeps this forum from crawling completely up its own rear end.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Also i really like cspam but what happened to fyad should be a cautionary tale about comunities becaming insulated. Calling out poo poo posting in d&d is fun and all but sometimes i think we focus on that too much.

yeah, in order for this subforum to not turn to poo poo it needs to check itself a lot more than it does. some of the megathreads are really bad, but what can you do?

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 1, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nineball posted:

This is extremely petty of me but the Cyrano stuff is darkly humorous after the word chud was banned in TFR for being dehumanizing (fair, but also thats a dumbass rule I say, posting in CSPAM). Oops!

I was not following any of this but sweet jesus he is truly awful
they are all awful
there are no good mods or admins

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

mods bad (x24)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

*inhales sharply between teeth* Oh, Cyrano, honey, no . . . .

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Its me , im the decorum poisoned.

Edit:^^holy lol^^

It's not decorum poisoning, it's not giving a poo poo about nobodies with bad political opinions. If you want to insult them in some sort of mutual Thunderdome that could be fun, but otherwise who gives a poo poo what they think.

Making fun of D&D posts is just like making fun of bad twitter takes from people with 10 followers. They're both pointless when 2020 is full of endless content from actually important/influential idiots.

e: also holy loving poo poo cyrano

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Dreylad posted:

it's true. and people rolling into cspam and ribbing people keeps this forum from crawling completely up its own rear end.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmfao forever at athanatos quietly closing the cyrano thread (then reopening with a whoopsie doodles), if I didn't know better I'd say he was deliberately trying to whack the hornet nest

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

*jeffrey from yospos takes one look at QCS after the money transfer goes through and he becomes the official owner of SomethingAwful llc*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Kv4rBJi68

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
:madmax:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Banning chud and he thinks he's done a good job making tfr inclusive... lol he's crypto fash or something. Crypto lib?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmfao forever at athanatos quietly closing the cyrano thread (then reopening with a whoopsie doodles), if I didn't know better I'd say he was deliberately trying to whack the hornet nest

athanatos is a golem made out of dumb HR handbooks