Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Jeffrey imagines a world without admins and uncomfortably sees the tribalism of the subforums gone, holding hands, in a big circle

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pick here with the real important points

Pick posted:

*attenborough voice* and here we observe a furious proxy battle between people who think blazing saddles is funny and people who've convinced themselves the new she-ra is good

(I like both)

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

:moonrio:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Giga Gaia posted:

disinterested sa mart guy

oh yeah lol who can forget Mr. EAT A WEEK

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
that op is too long i aint reading it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

part of what CSPAM started out doing was mocking liberal :decorum: and how people convince themselves they're morally virtuous. it doesn't do, though, to therefore conclude that i'm morally virtuous by comparison -- rather than the whole moralizing framework needing to be thrown out. biden voters being "bad people" or something. first of all, a lot of people saying this used to vote for people like biden regularly, or their parents will, so maybe people shouldn't be in a huge hurry to condemn them because they were like them pretty recently. it's like being at war with the person you were yesterday but projected outward onto a teen with 80 twitter followers. need some perspective here.

yeah the part I will always support and fight for is that people can and do change, but also there's no greater zealot than the recently converted. that's not to shield the former from the consequences of their actions, but i don't see the political usefulness of supporting the latter in their quest to dress down the former if the person works at loving wal-mart or wendy's or whatever.

people being irredeemable means that you're fine with the current american justice system, for example, or that former white supremacists trying to stop young people from following down that same path both wasting their time and actually still secretly nazis

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Molo posted:

I’d say part of it should also come down to consent, and degree. Giving Plinkey poo poo occasionally for eating weird stuff? That’s relatively harmless.

But again, degree: if he got dogpiled every time he posted for pages and pages, I think that would cross the line. Likewise if people followed him anywhere he posted on SA to make fun of him, until he could not post anywhere without getting into an argument. And consent: if he came out and said that the food joking was really starting to upset him, and he asked people to stop, people should back off. It’s the difference between being in a fight club, and stomping on a person’s head when they’re down- we can quibble about where exactly to draw the line, but a line does get crossed at some point.

FYAD had none of those community-enforced limits when things got bad, which is why “trans people (ie. CB) asked them to stop harassing them” resulted in the problem posters doubling down, and doubling down again, rather than backing off. Which is also how an FYAD poster calling for gays to get genocided received not a single negative word from his fellow posters. When your posting group cultivates ‘ironic detachment’ to unhealthy degree, people stop speaking up about anything- and when somebody’s posting stuff that egregious, I think it’s the duty of any right-minded poster in the thread to stop, say “what the gently caress is wrong with you??”, and make it clear that that poo poo isn’t welcome.

but then they might not be seen as cool and rebellious by the other posters :( you can't expect them to stand up for things when such a huge personal sacrifice as losing the approval of transphobic bigots is the price to pay!

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Between Reene not reading ban reasons being submitted and Cyrano, I'm going to just start copy and pasting huge walls of ipsum lorem place holder text, apparently more than 20 words bypasses the admin's robocop eyes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
SA is actually the funniest website on the internet

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Nineball posted:

Between Reene not reading ban reasons being submitted and Cyrano, I'm going to just start copy and pasting huge walls of ipsum lorem place holder text, apparently more than 20 words bypasses the admin's robocop eyes

youve unlocked the dnd secret. be careful out there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nineball posted:

I think they just check the name and if it's someone they don't know they approve it and if not it goes through extensive litigation in the mod forum

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

PROBATION | 06/09/20 4:20 | Maybe next time come up with your own solution instead of just yelling in all caps about how mine is bad. Take a day to cool off. User loses posting privileges for one day. | Adolf Hitler | Adolf Hitler

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Giga Gaia posted:

disinterested sa mart guy

who burst in the ppj thread to give out week long probes to anyone questioning the wisdom of the mod team

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

youve unlocked the dnd secret. be careful out there

I promise to use my powers for good

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think they just check the name and if it's someone they don't know they approve it and if not it goes through extensive litigation in the mod forum

:ssh: you're giving the game away!!!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

SA is actually the funniest website on the internet

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

this website is free costs :10bux:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
jesus christ

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Nineball posted:

everybody remember this?

Chillgamesh posted:

Pick, I want you to understand that I am making this post in good faith as a friendly response to your post. Most of us would argue that what you are saying here is ignorant. Many of us who post in CSPAM are direly and seriously affected by the callousness and greed of people like Trump and the rest of the US government. We get angry, we get upset. You're right that calls to violence are wrong, but tut-tutting and saying that we should be able to control ourselves better is an example of how people like Trump control the narrative - they do something hateful and unconscionable, like separating children from their parents and packing them into tiny cages, or banning trans people from the military - then call us crazy and emotional when we get upset.

The post I made - the doomguy post - was specifically about the NYT posting an article defending Joe Biden against rape allegations from Tara Reade, a post they have since deleted at the behest of Joe Biden's campaign, which read, and I am quoting almost verbatim here, "other than a documented history of unwanted touching, we have found no evidence of sexual harassment by Joe Biden". I'm going to tell you something that I've told very few people, and this is my first time saying it in public, even if it is just on these dead forums - I got raped when I was a kid, by a relative, several times. As someone who was raped, when I read the shrugging off of the claim like that, by people who were supposed to be on the side of justice and giving survivors a fair shake, it made me extremely angry. I saw this as a betrayal of rape survivors everywhere, including myself. Now, like I said, I understand while what I said was really far on the jokey side and not a serious or specific threat, it was still helping prop up an "in minecraft" violent ~posting culture~ and probably deserving of punishment. But, you have to understand, not everyone can just let poo poo slide all the time. A lot of us are being worn down by a thousand cuts every loving day. Now, I am lucky. I have a college education, I have a supportive family, and I have friends who love me. Some of us don't, and it's very very goddamn hard for them to struggle upstream against a torrent of poo poo like this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffdaddy posted:

No one cares about your stupid loving politics in QCS. Stop posting about it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

extensive litigation = ignored forever

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The way they'll solve this is to get rid of rapsheets and the lepers colony for normal users.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TTerrible posted:

The way they'll solve this is to get rid of rapsheets and the lepers colony for normal users.

That or ban everyone for "helldumping" the admins

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Fluffdaddy is a bad poster and a worse mod, and frankly he strikes me as an ally until asked to do anything or given the slightest criticism.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus gently caress allowing this guy to be part of the moderation or admin team is just as bad or worse than lowtax sticking around.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brandon Proust posted:

who burst in the ppj thread to give out week long probes to anyone questioning the wisdom of the mod team

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I swear, sometimes I think only lovely people are willing to be unpaid enforcers for a wife-beating, fading titan of the internet.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

quote:

This is in The Firing Range and not DnD, for those who were confused

Holy poo poo this banger's on the loving first page.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Listen, they should just make me a mod. Will I go mad with power? Probably. Will I largely be an absentee mod, only coming in drunk to wave my dick around? Yes. But hey, that's like 6/10 right there.

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

T-man posted:

Fluffdaddy is a bad poster and a worse mod, and frankly he strikes me as an ally until asked to do anything or given the slightest criticism.

Considering how the TGRS trans thread was handled, this is a perfect read, yes

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

everybody remember this?

Not knocking you for quoting this at all but I was just thinking the other day about how it's extremely badass and chill that I got probed for that post and now anyone who clicks on my rapsheet can see "eyy this guy got raped"

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

T-man posted:

Pick here with the real important points

(I like both)

loving same.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

one of my most recent probes(maybe the most recent idk im not checking) was a week because I made a stupid pun, that wasn't offensive in any way, I just happened to be quoting someone who got probated for something. The moderation has been lazy and lovely for a long time and that incident had me resolved to not come back because it was such bullshit. I'm sure plenty of good posters have left and not come back because of similar things. I like to think of myself as A Good Poster because I post original content, I actually take time to think about the things I say, and while I do plenty of white noise posting I do a lot of other poo poo too and so having mods and admins that will mindlessly, thoughtlessly probate posters like me for specious reasons is really loving bad for the site for incredibly obvious reasons.

Chillgamesh posted:

Not knocking you for quoting this at all but I was just thinking the other day about how it's extremely badass and chill that I got probed for that post and now anyone who clicks on my rapsheet can see "eyy this guy got raped"

yea that's hosed up and is another perfect example of what I'm talking about. Good posters getting chased off the site by lovely mods who actively harm the community and don't contribute to it beyond power-tripping about what people are allowed to talk about and where, and doing incredibly offensive and inappropriate things while they do it. Lowtax is not the only problem, nor is cyrano

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

Whats this? I've received a message from someone... it appears to be Cyrano's apology?!??!?!

(USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
imagining jeffrey in a very serious sit-down meeting with lowtax and their lawyers deep in negotiating the terms of the deal, and jeffrey trying very hard to ignore constant notifications pinging his phone from forum PMs, mod discord, email, calls from the other admins, etc