Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Remora posted:

I don't know what the polite way to express this concern is, so I'm just going to try my best here. I'll nuke this whole post if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to stir poo poo.

Goulet is pretty active on social media. I'm really not. I stumbled across a Twitter post they made recently about the Montegrappa Harry Potter collection - okay, bad timing, given that Rowling has decided to double down on being lovely out loud, but it's new product and they're a business. Obviously, there was some activity in the replies - polite, if a bit confused, but - the only reply from the Goulet account was in response to a question asking about carrying a line of notepads.

Well, okay. But then I just opened up the new Communique, and it's got a bit on the Harry Potter pens, and I had to stop for a second. Because the marketing blurb they went with was: "Show your support for your favorite Harry Potter house with these licensed fountain pens."

Okay, that's not an uncommon phrase. It's a little odd starting out right up front with "show your support for", and it's not the phrase I would have chosen after a youth spent stewing in those books. But it's probably nothing. Right?
you are, IMO, looking for something that doesn't exist here. It's just a really unfortunately timed product launch. And i doubt their social media team wants to stick their metaphorical dick in a mangle by commenting on Rowling's shiftiness. Also considering how much of a role the House rivalries played in the Potter books, and how much of a role that plays in the fandom to this day, the show your support line is a perfect fit.

Now that being said, the GPC is aggressively apolitical. Whether that's because they don't want to piss off the right or the left I don't know, but given the Goulet's deep Catholicism(I think), their tendency to "respect are troops" and a fairly not diverse workforce it's a safe bet they weren't voting for Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
If you're looking for a small business owned by reasonably orthodox Christians to actively promote Pride, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

That said they almost certainly mean nothing by promoting the Harry Potter pens other than that they want people to buy the Harry Potter pens.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The only thing that slightly sticks out to me is the "all lives matter"-esque statement, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in terms of not realizing how loaded saying something like that has become, since on the surface it seems like a nice sentiment. "Hey, yeah, all lives do matter!" That said,

Heath posted:

You're literally looking for something to be upset about. It's not crazy, but it's not productive, either. It's just a company that sells pens.

If it turns out they're donating to anti-LGBT groups or something, then this stuff is worth circling back to. But we're in a period of very heightened social awareness at the moment, and everybody is a little on edge. Let's not jump down the throat of any company that doesn't post a black square or change their logo to be a rainbow just yet.

vvvv I don't follow them on social media too closely, but seeing the full context of that makes me feel a lot better. I think their hearts are in the right place, even if you don't agree with the religious foundations of the business

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 2, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The actual statement was a little better than "all lives matter"

https://twitter.com/GouletPens/status/1268571243047014401

They've also subsequently highlighted a POC calligraphy group and were closed for Juneteenth. So could be worse, could be better :shrug:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
People really seem to be looking for something to be pissed off about with them. I left their FB fan group after more than one (completely idiotic, IMO) drama bomb over people posting caligraphied bible quotes. And I say this as someone allergic to religion.

They sell pens. They have great customer service and seem to be stand up people. One can't really ask for much more in 2020 hellworld.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I understand being worried that you might accidentally be giving money to transphobes, but tbqh if they were outright hateful bigots I don't think they'd be subtle. See also: Noodler's Q-anon inks. Fountain pens are not a hobby where you have to hide your hate, unfortunately.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The only thing that gets me is that they had a disclaimer for the game of thrones pens about how they didn't necessarily reflect the values of goulet but nothing for the Harry Potter ones. Granted, I doubt Rowling is more than maybe passingly aware that these pens were even made and almost certainly had no direct part in their creation.

Edit: oh god did noodlers really make a qanon ink

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Noodler's is the one thing where he could make a Qanon ink and I'd be like gently caress yeah that's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard of I will take one please

Still pissed I missed out on Berning Red

Edit: are you talking about Q-E'ternity? Because that's not a reference to Qanon

Heath fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 2, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Noodlers feels more Art Bell crazy and less Alex Jones crazy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Noodler's is the one thing where he could make a Qanon ink and I'd be like gently caress yeah that's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard of I will take one please

Still pissed I missed out on Berning Red

Edit: are you talking about Q-E'ternity? Because that's not a reference to Qanon

loving :same:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Sorry for threadshitting. Edited my post. Like I said, something happened in my real life not too long ago and I'm a bit on edge about this kind of thing.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

gently caress you guys. Now I end up writing some sort of strange handwriting (how can I still remember this? It has been ages.. ) on fancy paper with red inks, instead of drinking my beer.

It is weird how I can not write normally with these pens.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

For the longest time I could literally only remember how to write my name in cursive but a few weeks into *really* using my pens the knowledge just... reappeared like it was never gone.

Brains are weird.

Good choice with the Moonman m2! I absolutely adore those pens. If the nib ever gives you trouble or you'd like to change size you should know that jowo nibs will fit perfectly and work wonderfully.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Letmebefrank posted:

gently caress you guys. Now I end up writing some sort of strange handwriting (how can I still remember this? It has been ages.. ) on fancy paper with red inks, instead of drinking my beer.

It is weird how I can not write normally with these pens.

Nor should you

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
For economic reasons I am on the cheaper end of the hobby: that is, I buy cheap old poo poo that looks fixable, then have a go making the pens work correctly. Sometimes I get things that are in near perfect condition apart from needing a clean-up or a sac, and sometimes... I get this Montblanc 22.

It was being sold "as is" (that is, a crapshoot in terms of if it will work or not). On arrival, it turned out that someone had:

a) glued the pen hood (which usually is screwed on and can be easily removed for cleaning) to the body. Whatever glue they used also dissolved part of the ink visor plastic, though the damage was minor, thankfully.

b) overtightened the piston. A lot. A "had to use two pairs of pliers to get it to unstuck" lot. Fortunately the piston was not damaged in the process, and works fine. But it had come out of the back of the pen just by me trying to get it to move using my hands, which is no good signal, either: it is friction fit, but usually sits real tight. Turns out there's also a hairline crack in the barrel, probably from someone's past attempts at getting the piston to move, and that's what allowed it to come out.

c) used blue ink. Not washed it. Then used black ink. Then proceeded to forget the pen, ink still inside. I soaked it for around eight hours just to get the hood to move, changed the water six times, and when it opened there was still an unordinate amount of blue-black goo there. The ink visor, whick usually does not even touch the ink, was drenched in it. There was ink inside the piston mechanism, which also should not be there. I have never seen so much dried ink on a pen.

I suspected that there must be a leak somewhere, seemed consistent with the randomly glued hood and the ink on inappropiate places. But after a thorough cleaning of the window, the insides and the piston, I have not seen any misplaced ink, so now I am leaning towards "put the pen on an inkwell way too deep and got ink inside the window, that they then couldn't get out because they had glued it for mysterious reasons".

It took a good amount of work, and I wasn't even sure it'd pay off, but now it works perfectly. There's slight damage to the ink window, but the piston, once cleaned and well lubricated with silicone oil, works perfectly and is very, very soft. The hairline crack does not leak ink because it's sealed by the piston mechanism (that is, no ink gets there anyway), but I filled it in with epoxy resin just to be sure. The nib also works like a charm - a medium point, a bit flexible, and an absolute delight to write with. Easily the best part of those old MB's.

But poo poo, how someone could treat what wasn't a cheap pen by any means (the 22 was, on the 60's, part of the medium-range line, second only to the Meisterstucks, and brought to compete with the Parker 51) in such a destructive way as to cause that amount of damage... maybe I was just brought up to be careful with my stuff, but it just boggles my mind. Sometimes you see accidental damage: I also own a MB 12 Meisterstuck that had never been inked, but whose cap had multiple cracks from, apparently, having been stepped on. Sometimes things break and are glued back with cellotape, filling systems are fixed with whatever the repairer had on hand, or nibs fall and get bent. But this was no accident, this was just an unending stream of carelessness :psyduck:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
So apparently Tomoe River paper is different now? Trying to decide if I should be sad about this or not.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

my inbox hasn’t seen a single minute’s reprieve since I published that newsletter

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just tell me it's going to be alright

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Refilled my Preppy's cartridge last night - bit of a pain! I think I prefer converters just for the ease. The capacity is a bit of a bummer on them though, but I guess that just means I need a TWSBI next :getin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Blunt tip cannula is the way to go

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Heath posted:

Blunt tip cannula is the way to go

Did it with a blunt syringe. It wasn't actually too difficult, but it was just long winded compared to "dip, twist". Took a good few minutes of washing out the preppy with a bulb thing, cleaning the cartridge with a syringe, refilling with the syringe, making sure to clean everything up because I got Diamine Grape everywhere, and then having issues with the feed being full of water still :v:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

imo part of the fun of fountain pens is all the paraphernalia and extra work that goes into it

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also once I got in the habit of just refilling syringes I kinda found it a lot less hassle, and a lot cleaner, than using converters. That, plus extra capacity, and I doubt I'll bother with converters in the future.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I can't speak for the Preppy ones but the Pilot converters have a nice wide mouth on them that makes them easy to fill.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I have screw-style converters in the majority of my pens. They are easy to use. I have a couple of squeeze-style ones, too.

I also bought a variety pack of syringes from Amazon, and that covers everything else.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Amazon? Pfft. The real fountain pen enthusiast buys their syringes from the sketchiest pharmacies, in the dead of night, looking like they haven't slept in three days.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so is this the best place to ask about pencils and mechanical pencils or would that be mccoying onto hatfield land?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The only verboten topic is ballpoints. A good mechanical pencil is the natural cousin of the fountain pen.

Really though any writing topic is welcome, what expensive pencil are you considering, and why is it a rOtring?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alrighty.

i'm...not really considering an expensive pencil. i've just used the cheap bic mechanicals all my life and was wondering what i was missing out on. i'm not looking to spend a crazy amount or anything, but just curious why my life might be empty. i'm on my last bic and just got curious, i guess.

i only write with them, no drawing or anything. one thing that really, really annoys me is an eraser that less erases and more blurs/smudges the graphite. some of the blurs are ok about this, but many are bad.

not sure what else i should add here?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Buy a Rotring 600 in whatever thickness you like and never buy another pencil again.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I use a 0.3 aluminum kuru toga and it's ruined me for all other mechanical pencils.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Honestly, if you're just writing, a plain ol' Bic is going to be just fine for 99% of what you would do. It depends on what you're looking for in a writing instrument. Since this is the fountain pen thread, obviously aesthetics are a key consideration. Some pencils can be a lot meatier and have bigger padded grips that are good for larger hands or longer writing sessions. I personally have a rOtring 800 that has a retractable "nib" that I quite like - it's much heavier than most, being made of metal, and it feels very solid in the hand and reduces feedback as a result (feedback being the shaking or 'ringing' in the body of the pencil caused by the drag of friction from writing.) That's a pencil meant for drafting, so keeping a straight line is important. If that matters to you, consider a metal pencil. .

I think the biggest consideration with a pencil is actually the eraser. A lot of mechanical pencils have garbage erasers, and you're better off keeping a separate eraser of high quality like an ArtGum or something. Especially if your eraser is capped, because having to pull the cap off constantly and risk losing it is a pain.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks for the tips.

yea, eraser really would be the key thing, right? are the rotring or kuru toga known for theirs? or is it really just one of those situations where i should get a separate eraser?

also, looking at a comparison of graphite widths now, i'd say something thicker would be nice. .9mm looks best to me. .7 works, but .9mm would be great. sadly it does not look like rotring makes one for that width.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

alrighty.

i'm...not really considering an expensive pencil. i've just used the cheap bic mechanicals all my life and was wondering what i was missing out on. i'm not looking to spend a crazy amount or anything, but just curious why my life might be empty. i'm on my last bic and just got curious, i guess.

i only write with them, no drawing or anything. one thing that really, really annoys me is an eraser that less erases and more blurs/smudges the graphite. some of the blurs are ok about this, but many are bad.

not sure what else i should add here?

The biggest thing in a nice mechanical pencil is how it feels to write with it. A good pencil should encourage you to hold it correctly, be easy to hold, not slippery, have a pleasant weight, and be comfortable to write with. It's much easier to hold just about any nice mechanical pencil than a disposable Bic one. You should also consider the lead size you like - most mechanical pencils in the US use 0.7mm lead, which is okay, but I prefer 0.5mm as do many others. This does make it slightly harder to find lead, although in my experience 0.5mm lead is still available at most office supply stores, though not supermarkets.

Some good mechanical pencils I can personally recommend are:
  • the $11.50 Pentel Graph Gear 1000 - I've had one of these in 0.5mm for years, and it's quite nice. The lead tube retracts into the body of the pencil, so you don't risk bending it or poking yourself if you put it in your pocket. If you're just curious about higher-end pencils, this is a great one to try out.
  • the $30 Rotring 600, which is made of brass and has a very nice weight. The lead tube doesn't retract (though the Rotring 800 that does have that features, it's more expensive), but it's very nice to use.

Also worth mentioning is the Uni Kuru Toga line, which automatically rotates the lead to keep the point sharp. Some people don't like that effect. Up to you.

Most nice mechanical pencils have tiny erasers. They're usually okay quality, but even if you remember to buy refills, carrying and switching them is a pain. I recommend buying a reloadable, retractable eraser, the ones shaped like pens are very convenient and work much better than any eraser built into a pencil.

Edit: Just saw your post, the Graph Gear comes in 0.9mm

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 10, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm an artist rather than a writer really but if you haven't tried a kneaded eraser I can recommend them. They lift the graphite off into themselves and you don't get shavings or blurring, just a steadily dirtier eraser. Might be worth grabbing a cheap one and trying it out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've had good experiences with the SumoGrip for the cheaper end

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks for the suggestions. will check them out and pull the trigger on a combo soon enough.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Office Depot/Max's house brand, Tul (not looking up how to do the umlaut), makes really good mechanical pencils. The body is entirely ... rubberized, I think? It's soft and feels good and comes in many colors. I bought like 10 to hand around the table when I DM and people get disappointed if I forget them.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

HopperUK posted:

I'm an artist rather than a writer really but if you haven't tried a kneaded eraser I can recommend them. They lift the graphite off into themselves and you don't get shavings or blurring, just a steadily dirtier eraser. Might be worth grabbing a cheap one and trying it out.

seconding kneaded erasers. best part is the lack of crumbs, and being able to shape the eraser to work precisely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Pentel makes excellent mechanical pencils as well. Their Sharp and Graphgear 500 series got me through art school and their erasers are the same polymer that's used in high-quality artist erasers.

Comedy option is a Pentel Kerry:

It's a pencil styled to look like a fountain pen!