Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Nutapii posted:

BN(O) was a disgrace. It's good that we have given holders of those 5 year leave with unconditional right to work rather than that "long holiday visa" proposal before, it'd be great if we could extend it to all those who previously held it and their direct families. Does leave the residents of the Chungking Mansions in the lurch.

As a parallel, in the 80s the civil service (jokingly?) proposed resettling Hong Kongers in Northern Ireland. As well as the economic boost, it was thought that the unionist and nationalist communities would be so angry at a bunch of new immigrants outnumbering them 5:1 that the Troubles would end.

I believe that the new visa offer is for anyone who was ever eligible for BNO, not just current holders. So the many that let it lapse are included. That was certainly what was announced a couple months back when the government first floated the idea.
The figures quoted in the news today (~ 3 million HK citizens) supports that, as there are only about a tenth of that actually still holding a in-date BNO passport if they ever bothered to get one.
It seems they do also mention BNO dependents in addition, but I can't see if that requires them to accompany the BNO holder to settle in the UK or if they can come independently.
As always, details are to follow the grand announcement at some unspecified later date. No rush guys; it's not like people are already being grabbed for life imprisonment under the new "security" law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interesting that the tories are proposing for HK essentially the thing I would have suggested as a good policy for I/P.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Migrant Watch have gotten quite tepidly pissed off but broader racists probably won't care too much, people from Hong Kong don't set off the psychosexual fear like north African or muslim people do. Alt-righter perspective will see 3 million high-IQ submissive grateful immigrants, half of which are waifu material, coming as a managed immigration bloc while also bumping up the raw number as basically okay and even an opportunity to usefully muddy the anti-migration discourse waters.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Huh, just seen Michael Payne is on the Labour To Win slate. He's a shithouse Blairite careerist (and failed parliamentary candidate in the Miliband years) who was in my best friend's flat at uni 12 years or so ago and supported the Owen Smith leadership challenge to the point where he blocked me on Twitter/Facebook etc. for arguing against him.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Boris Johnson doesn't really understand the risks in what he's doing. But I do and let me tell you, this is good stuff and I fully support it, and you can quote me on that

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I also have a recurring semi-nightmare that I get whenever I have a high fever and that flits between sepia and really bright Wizard of Oz Technicolor. I wonder how much this sort of thing is influenced by the media we consume and the way it plays with this sort of visual language? Did nightmares start changing as mass media became a thing?

Dreams probably are influenced by media and culture at a deepish level, since visual hallucinations definitely are. Like you’d expect, there are some psychedelic visuals which seem to be hard coded into our neurology, like the ‘fortification spectra’ zigzags and spirals people see when having a migraine, taking acid or going into a trance state in Neolithic Doggerland after drinking the shaman’s magic mushroom piss. But the content and some of the visuals of the more complex hallucinations are pathoplastic - they are affected by expectations and cultural mores, and your cognition can penetrate into the perception to shape it.

I had a heatstroke when I was a kid and watched the sky smear, lose its colour then turn into garish technicolour. I’d seen the Wizard of Oz a few weeks before, though fortunately not the later movies with the wheel dudes, had enough on my mind with the hands crawling down pillars towards me until I blacked out tbf

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation has a new report out looking specifically at the choices made by low-income voters at the last election. The headline takeway:

We are officially living in Bizarro World. Labour's support base relies on wealthy voters as much as poor voters; and poor voters strongly prefer the Tories. Not even Thatcher managed that.

The given reasons are nothing that we haven't heard before; these voters don't necessarily think the Tories will improve their economic lot, but they do align better with them on Brexit, immigration, and other social issues, and hey, maybe Bozza Legernd will spend a bit of cash after all while he's getting us free of Brussels. Labour's got about three years to figure out how to reach these voters; there is no path to victory that doesn't lead through the constituencies where they can swing the result one way or another. On the other hand, I am reminded somewhat of the result in 1997, where "no way should this seat ever go red" seats started going red, before quietly flipping back blue in 2001 and 2005 once the stink of John Major started washing away. The Tories are well down on their polling high and there's some hope that perhaps inertia can bring some of these votes back...but enough even for a hung Parliament? That seems like a taller order at the moment.

As always with these things, especially given the age divide in our politics now...how many of these 'low income' voters are actually retired people who own their house outright and thus don't need a high income?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Goldskull posted:

It won't do any harm to fill in the UC thing, they'll come back on you and say whether you're entitled to anything. I know it sucks, I'm 2 months away from having to borrow beg or steal now.

Do check whether you qualify for the benevolent fund at the top of this page - it's there to help stave off those kinds of choices for forums regulars.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

feedmegin posted:

As always with these things, especially given the age divide in our politics now...how many of these 'low income' voters are actually retired people who own their house outright and thus don't need a high income?

wouldn't it be lovely if we could convince society to consider the imputed rental value of an owner-occupier's residence as part of their income.
and levy income tax on it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Cerv posted:

wouldn't it be lovely if we could convince society to consider the imputed rental value of an owner-occupier's residence as part of their income.
and levy income tax on it.

Make Granny move to a **real** granny flat; she didn’t need all that space anyway and the average 80yo copes fine with moving away from familiar surroundings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah the average 80yo should be kept in familiar surroundings where possible. But I'd work on Windrush and Grenfell before worrying about the rest.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Prince John posted:

Do check whether you qualify for the benevolent fund at the top of this page - it's there to help stave off those kinds of choices for forums regulars.

I appreciate that, I have parents/a mate who've said they'll back me up before it rolls to that though

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Tmqzn3bFm3w

I dunno if mhairi black is even still an mp.

Sorry but my lame 90s html knowledge didnt extend to video

Jinkii fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 2, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goldskull posted:

I'm trying my best to help as I asked the same thing on here a few months ago, and got poo poo off people for being a ltd company and following the same financial advice off accountants/agencies so I could actually get loving paid when they changed the rules about 6 years ago, only help I got was 'LOL sucks to be you being a company director and going under the tax bracket as an employee', like I don't pay best part of 5 figures a year in tax. Same poo poo on twitter, where all the mouthbreathers think you're some kind of cash in hand 1970s Handyman.
Sorry, I realise that part of my post probably came across sounding super dickish. The LLC structure is obviously important to protect individuals from business liability, I just think that as a system it's hugely open to abuse by the kind of people Roger Cook used to chase down the street.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jinkii posted:

I dunno if mhairi black is even still an mp.

She is, currently one of the most prominent voices in the snp advocating treating trans people reasonably

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I don't get what you're on about, nothing about what you said was dickish in the slightest. And LLC are US things no? Essentially matey, just apply for UC and see what they say.

^^For Bobby Deluxe

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

LLC just means Limited Liability Company, it's basically the same thing as Ltd.

You do need to be careful about dividends if you're paying them regularly, as you have to make sure you have sufficient excess profit in the company at the time of payment. Any competent accountant should make sure that you're complying with this of course.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

winegums posted:

plus I don't think the press had gone quite so mad at that point, they just wrote anti-semitic stuff about him having ((two kitchens)) and being a ((north london geek)) and his dad hating britain. just normal anti-jewish blood libel stuff

the campaign against miliband was an orgy of insane hate way beyond anything I'd ever seen directed at a british political leader before. it was disgraceful. it wasnt even coded antisemitism, it was right there in the open. they sent hacks to his dads funeral to prove the war hero was a brit hating jew. othering a labour pol that way set a precedent that probably contributed to jo cox's murder and the 2 attempted assassinations against corbyn. it was full mask off stuff.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

as an example of how beyond redemption we are, i asked people i know who "are interested in politics" what they thought about the genocide we are conducting at the moment and they didn't know what i was on about. everything is debated within the framework of electoralism and HoC skullduggery. there is no saving us.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So what happens with Ireland in the two most likely Brexit scenarios? I still don't really understand the backstop thing very well, but as far as I do, I'm this transition period there's a customs border between NI and the mainland? Does that change under WTO rules, or under whatever list minute deal they manage to poo poo out?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

So what happens with Ireland in the two most likely Brexit scenarios? I still don't really understand the backstop thing very well, but as far as I do, I'm this transition period there's a customs border between NI and the mainland? Does that change under WTO rules, or under whatever list minute deal they manage to poo poo out?

Nobody has the faintest idea. Norn Iron has always been the massive sticking point with Brexit* because either we have a border in Ireland, which neither the Republic nor North want and would be a catastrophe for the island's economy, we have no border, which means we have to still obey all EU rules, laws, etc. relating to trading and standards and so on, or we have a border down the Irish Sea which is despised by the loyalists in NI because it would create divergence in regulations etc. between NI and GB, which is something they are fanatically opposed to.

That said I thought what had been agreed in the end was basically "gently caress the DUP, gently caress NI Loyalistsm, we're having a border in the Irish sea". Meaning the shinners are like "Aye dead on, glad to support this Tory government" and the duppers are raging, lol how times change.

*There are plenty of things that are difficult and all but certain to bring competing interests into direct contention, e.g. the nativist strand of the right vs. the business strand, but I don't think anything else poses such an outright danger.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 2, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Another 16 years of putin. :tif:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/02/vladimir-putin-wins-russia-vote-that-could-let-him-rule-until-2036

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

*There are plenty of things that are difficult and all but certain to bring competing interests into direct contention, e.g. the nativist strand of the right vs. the business strand, but I don't think anything else poses such an outright danger.

And no other aspect was quite as obviously impossible from the very start (in anything other than a soft Brexit Norway scenario).

It's like a logic puzzle without a solution.

N = Northern Ireland
I = Ireland
G = Great Britain
U = UK
E = EU

N and G together form U, which can't be separated
N and I have a special agreement and can't be separated
I and U have a special agreement and can't be separated (CTA etc)
I and U are both in E, and always have been, or not, together

Remove U from E, in a way which requires a border, without violating any of the first 3 points.

It can't be done.

E: other than by removing N from U and putting it in I, which is a whole thing apparently

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 2, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

E: other than by removing N from U and putting it in I, which is a whole thing apparently

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bobstar posted:

And no other aspect was quite as obviously impossible from the very start (in anything other than a soft Brexit Norway scenario).

It's like a logic puzzle without a solution.

N = Northern Ireland
I = Ireland
G = Great Britain
U = UK
E = EU

N and G together form U, which can't be separated
N and I have a special agreement and can't be separated
I and U have a special agreement and can't be separated (CTA etc)
I and U are both in E, and always have been, or not, together

Remove U from E, in a way which requires a border, without violating any of the first 3 points.

It can't be done.

That almost spells Nigel.

The solution is clear.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sorry, I realise that part of my post probably came across sounding super dickish. The LLC structure is obviously important to protect individuals from business liability, I just think that as a system it's hugely open to abuse by the kind of people Roger Cook used to chase down the street.

its a bit like Spice in that, yes, it's a drug, but you wouldn't want to be doing it all the time. Meaning, being on UC usually is such a pain in the arse its not worth scamming I'd reckon. If you go through the application form and answer honestly you'll be at no risk of fraud or anything - part of the design is that it has such a bad rep people like yourself don't bother with it. FWIW I went self employed last year and my partner at the time worked full time on about 25k a year - I was entitled to £3 a week. (extra benefits like dentistry, prescriptions and opticians can be useful though)

Shogi posted:

Dreams probably are influenced by media and culture at a deepish level, since visual hallucinations definitely are. Like you’d expect, there are some psychedelic visuals which seem to be hard coded into our neurology, like the ‘fortification spectra’ zigzags and spirals people see when having a migraine, taking acid or going into a trance state in Neolithic Doggerland after drinking the shaman’s magic mushroom piss. But the content and some of the visuals of the more complex hallucinations are pathoplastic - they are affected by expectations and cultural mores, and your cognition can penetrate into the perception to shape it.

This field is dead interesting - the shapes you're describing are called 'form constants' and are a series of recurring shapes that occur across cultures, backgrounds and neurochemistry. When I took acid for the first time I was surprised at how a lot of the base-level visual hallucinations were so recognisable from psychedelic art - fractals, paisley patterns, colour shifting through the spectrum.

The way a lot of hallucinogenic drugs work is by shutting down bits of your brain rather than adding to them - bit similar if you've stayed up for longer than 24 hours and start seeing poo poo.

As humans like to interpret patterns and ascribe meaning to them I think thats pretty much what lead to early religeons. In terms of monsters and dreams and such - Western civilization is heavily influenced by the gothic, which came about roughly the 17th century at a similar time of witch trials and Christianity's response to a lot of folk practices outside of cities. Macbeth was very influential on later gothic novels, itself based on the life and fears of King James VI (who helped produce an English translation of the Bible and the Malleus Maleficarum - the Hammer of the Witches). Much of the mania around witchcraft started off from rumours, but there's also evidence of ergotism from bread made in America or Germany that would have caused wide-spread hallucinations across entire villages.

Long story short, gothic novels like Dracula or Frankenstein were made into films that became very popular and set an aesthetic tone for the next century, particular Nosferatu and the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. You can trace the fears of a culture through its horror stories, from Them! or Texas Chainsaw Massacre up to what I consider films reacting to identity politics (either films that reduce a persons senses such as Birdbox or A Quiet Place, the return of female-based antagonists like Hereditary or The Witch or all the work of Jordan Peele) - this decade will be all about sickness and nature having revenge on folk I reckon.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Some details of the :bojosay: “no forms, no checks, no barriers of any kind”* NI border came out today

*Includes forms and checks

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

as an example of how beyond redemption we are, i asked people i know who "are interested in politics" what they thought about the genocide we are conducting at the moment and they didn't know what i was on about. everything is debated within the framework of electoralism and HoC skullduggery. there is no saving us.

They've not had chance to practice the party line of 'while I fully support genocide I'm not blind to the human cost' yet, give them time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

That almost spells Nigel.

The solution is clear.

:hmmno:

We're only making plans...for NIGUE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gh0stpinballa posted:

as an example of how beyond redemption we are, i asked people i know who "are interested in politics" what they thought about the genocide we are conducting at the moment and they didn't know what i was on about.

The correct answer being "which one?", of course.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheCriticMag/status/1277864450226376705

D...don't be a slaver?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

"people should only give to charity if they give you a statue that'll never be removed"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even if I'd made money by abhorrent means I'd rather have some statue put up to an abstract concept I supported than me as a person.

David Starkey can have one put up to the ancient concept of being a contrarian fuckwit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

From the article

quote:

Finally, a word for slave traders. Mostly they weren’t, of course. Instead, like any other sensible investor, they held a well-balanced portfolio of which the slave trade was a part.

Oh, that's alright then. They helped spread human misery as part of a healthy portfolio.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i'd quite enjoy having a statue of me tbh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1278614691921760256

That's quite the statement.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

David Starkey is a loving embarrassing old man who built his career on being a dusty old conservative royal historian and 95% of people in the field think he's a bore with arguments decades out of date and can't wait for him to shut up and die. That he of all people gets wheeled out occasionally to give some sort of intellectual legitimacy to reactionism is just proof of how hollow the ideology is.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1278463553125658627?s=19

lol, Tory policy has worked brilliantly tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

From the article

Oh, that's alright then. They helped spread human misery as part of a healthy portfolio.

People say Hitler did terrible things but mostly he didn't. Did you know he spent a substantial portion of his day asleep, and even when awake he spent most of his time eating, talking with people and taking a poo poo?

People forget this when they talk about how bad Hitler was