Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

road rash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Those three are very good choices. Virtua Fighter owns I wish it was still popular.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

my faves in no particular order
- chrono trigger
- final fantasy V
- super mario 64
- a link to the past
- bloodborne
- mass effects (except for andromeda)

e; oh poo poo and earthbound

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i liked how in virtua fighter everything was all wobbly yet super smooth at the same time, and slow motion and super fast at the same time. This is real. this is my memories

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Watched the last two of my baby robin buds leave the nest this morning. First one left last night while a bunny was blocking access to watching the nest, but the last two I sat and watched.

One of them couldn't properly fly so I hung with him til he found some good cover.

Bluedeanie posted:

Lemmings was a franchise and no one on earth gives a poo poo about it anymore.
It might be in rights Hell or maybe the DMA guys don't care about it now that they're Rockstars

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bluedeanie posted:

Lemmings was a franchise and no one on earth gives a poo poo about it anymore.

Worms is still being made but only approximately 94 Worms Fans(tm) play them

Is Crash Bandicoot still a thing, I only see it posted in Critical Irony Nostalgia Zone type places online

First three games and the kart racing game got remakes in the last couple years and now a new 4th game is coming out later this year

Spyro meanwhile managed to maintain relevance better for a while due to being part of the Skylanders franchise but that died down and it's hard to say how well the remakes of his PS1 trilogy have done for his relevance

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Watched the last two of my baby robin buds leave the nest this morning. First one left last night while a bunny was blocking access to watching the nest, but the last two I sat and watched.

One of them couldn't properly fly so I hung with him til he found some good cover.
It might be in rights Hell or maybe the DMA guys don't care about it now that they're Rockstars

Thank you for helping the birds and more importantly helping them the right way.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

NienNunb posted:

Was thinking about this concept last night when describing Twisted Metal to my fiancé/m: what are some games (or movies or shows or whatever) that were huge at their time but have almost zero cultural footprint right now. I was also thinking of Medal of Honor. Like both of those franchises felt decently big when I was an adolescent but are more or less extinct at this point.

Croc, Syphon Filter, good wrestling games

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Those three are very good choices. Virtua Fighter owns I wish it was still popular.

It pains me at a deep and profound level that Noctis and Negan are in Tekken 7 while Virtua Fighter is consigned to not even the most recent Dead or Alive

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

as soon as they stop making them no one will ever remember gears of war. many people don't now. but the whole thing has sold like 30 million copies. i ran out of real things that died. might think of one later.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Rip Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Rip Red Faction

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gears of War is so of its time. It's 2006, you're hopped up on Gamer Fuel and epic Marine Corp commercials, you're praying every night for our boys in Iraq to get those WMDs. You're at your boy Pinto's house, sitting on his unsheeted mattress sadly laying on the floor of his filthy room. You just took a rip out of a grav made out of the bottom half of a milk jug and the top half of a Sierra Mist two liter. You look forward at the CRT tv sitting on the ground. Dom just found his wife Maria, dead. You feel his pain, his anguish, his anger.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

RIP Might and Magic. VI, VII and VIII were absolutely brilliant but apparently a bunch of people got on them for having a dated graphics engine so they had to update it for IX. IX was a godsawful abomination that killed the company and the series along with it. Ubisoft ate the license and has been failing to do it justice ever since. They released M&M X which was good in a 'you completely don't get what people liked about M&M' way. That was...6 years ago. And the worst thing is no indie dev has done anything even vaguely resembling those 3 games since (or even 2-5). It's all wanking to Wizardry style cramped bullshit dungeon crawls.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The best video game is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

The best video game is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

This one is tricky for me because I have a lot of positive memories of 1 and 2 but they do not stand up at all to replaying now, whereas 3 and up all still feel great to play.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Call of Duty from 4 and beyond completely took over Halo's spot in gaming. Halo isn't dead but it's nowhere near where it used to be.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i played the poo poo and hell out of tony hawk 2 on ps1 and then did it for like 50% of that time on dreamcast all over again. then played the third game almost that much. i always liked 3 a lot more than 1, probably because i didn't start with 1

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
RIP Matt Hoffman, pro BMX was underrated, had some great levels.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Remember the cul de sac with a haunted house on it. you could go into that house, but you would just come back out. wish i could have seen the inside of it.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cavauro posted:

Remember the cul de sac with a haunted house on it. you could go into that house, but you would just come back out. wish i could have seen the inside of it.

That's the best level, but I am too afraid to know what was in there.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I bet the inside looked like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePpPVE-GGJw

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Tony Hawk Underground 2 had Shrek and Bigfoot and Phil Margera in his underwear as unlockable dudes

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Tony Hawk Underground 2 had Shrek and Bigfoot and Phil Margera in his underwear as unlockable dudes

And Steve O

Cavauro posted:

The ice cream truck that would hit you. The Canada level where a drunk guy pees off the side of the map

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Every few years I have some hope that they'll do a new, decent SSX game and then they expertly crush my hopes again and again. Dangerous Descents was a terrible idea. Just give me a 4k-capable mix of SSX Tricky and SSX 3, and don't turn the multiplayer into more pay to win garbage.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Weight loss update. I've lost 52 pounds since January. Down to 269

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That's awesome

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shard posted:

💪

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Shard posted:

Nice!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hell yeah man congrats

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shard posted:

congrats friend!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Shard posted:

Losing weight this year is pretty impressive. Congrats.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Was thinking about this concept last night when describing Twisted Metal to my fiancé/m: what are some games (or movies or shows or whatever) that were huge at their time but have almost zero cultural footprint right now. I was also thinking of Medal of Honor. Like both of those franchises felt decently big when I was an adolescent but are more or less extinct at this point.

SOCOM

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Resistance Fall of Man and/or Killzone

As much as I love and always will love Twisted Metal, Jaffe's a prick and I'd be fine if the franchise doesn't come back if it can't without him at the helm

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

How I met your mother is a show I never watched but I think it would fit the bill of what I was describing but for shows. Everyone I knew watched it but nobody talks about it now. I heard it had a bad ending so I imagine that's why. I'm happy people eventually stopped saying Sopranos had a bad ending because that ending was good actually

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ridge racer was semi popular before it became a sad meme that nobody ever wanted to buy again. That's unrelated to me. I'm not that and don't have a monitor

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 2, 2020

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

NienNunb posted:

Game of Thrones was a huge pop culture touchstone...until its' last season, whereby the showrunners proceeded to poo poo the bed with the lights on (deliberately, mind you), pissing off a huge swathe of their fanbase and taking the show from something everyone talked about to something most people are embarrassed to admit they even ever liked.

(see also: Heroes)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

NienNunb posted:

Avatar resulted in literal group suicides over people wishing they could be a Na'Vi.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I typed "Mass Effect" and then I made myself sad.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Everybody Loves Raymond
Two and a Half Men
Becker
soon to be The Big Bang Theory
That 70s Show

We can call this the sitcom effect.

The most infamous though will forever be How I Met Your Mother which is the only one remembered strongly in that its used alongside GOT and Dexter in how to kill your own franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Game of Thrones was a huge pop culture touchstone...until its' last season, whereby the showrunners proceeded to poo poo the bed with the lights on (deliberately, mind you), pissing off a huge swathe of their fanbase and taking the show from something everyone talked about to something most people are embarrassed to admit they even ever liked.

(see also: Heroes)

gotta get my :actually: on for a second to submit that Heroes began to drop logs on the duvet in season two. subsequent seasons, I feel, can be characterized as stamping in the bed poo poo, wiping with the pillows and daring the viewer to change the channel