Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

at this rate jeffrey's gonna have to make zerocool an admin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the worst part of all this poo poo is it turned me into a qcs poster

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Wheeee posted:

condolences

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Wheeee posted:

the important thing is not to turn into a qcs regular

take it one day at a time

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wheeee posted:

you drat fool

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Wheeee posted:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rockit posted:

I already taken into account and that's why i'm comfortable with them not having power. If you read my poo poo you'd know that.
what i'm not comfortable not is giving a permanent for someone contrite and letting people whose a good bunch of their motive is "No u!" control of the convo.
If that's not what you mean by unforgivable then i'm afraid we're just angrily agreeing with each other.

It's unforgivable in the sense that it should be permanently disqualifying from being given any position of responsibility or power of any kind, either on these forums or anywhere else in life. Calling a post like that "great" should relegate you to being a clerk instead of a manager, a poster instead of an admin, a bystander or peon instead of someone in charge, in every situation for the rest of your life.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oxsnard posted:

so chart guy says the definitive "yeah this show sucks" moment is The Parent Rap, but I distinctly remember watching the New York episode and it having some very funny gags but it felt like a gimmick. That's the point at which the Simpsons started doing FAMILY GOES TO PLACE episodes when the writers get bored

family goes to place isn't necessarily a bad thing, i liked the australia/japan/new york episdes

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Yinlock posted:

family goes to place isn't necessarily a bad thing, i liked the australia/japan/new york episdes

no of course not as long as it's not a crutch for we ran out of ideas

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

whatever that thing was where they had the squad vs trump was the nadir of western civilization and possibly humanity

another memory i wish had stayed buried

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

thinking you're the ultimate objective arbiter of good and funny is how fyad died

let people enjoy tv shows they like

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

no of course not as long as it's not a crutch for we ran out of ideas

isn't every idea technically a crutch for not having a different idea

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Flunky posted:

whatever that thing was where they had the squad vs trump was the nadir of western civilization and possibly humanity

another memory i wish had stayed buried

i dunno i think that goes to the mueller christmas SNL skit

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dustcat posted:

thinking you're the ultimate objective arbiter of good and funny is how fyad died

let people enjoy tv shows they like

no one is telling anyone not to watch later season. Everyone just gave the best seasons to watch. Telling someone to start at newer episodes and go backwards is objectively bad advice

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

oxsnard posted:

no one is telling anyone not to watch later season. Everyone just gave the best seasons to watch. Telling someone to start at newer episodes and go backwards is objectively bad advice

why does anybody need advice on how to watch a tv show lol

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

hello sir i hear you've been thinking about watching The Simpsons, and i have been sent here by the internet to tell you that the best order in which to watch the seasons is,

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

oxsnard posted:

Telling someone to start at newer episodes and go backwards is objectively bad advice

That was the joke, I think

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

these warrior centaurs are gonna have to go back to basic, they are loving USELESS at watching The Simpsons

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dustcat posted:

hello sir i hear you've been thinking about watching The Simpsons, and i have been sent here by the internet to tell you that the best order in which to watch the seasons is,

watch the good trilogy, then maybe watch the prequel trilogy, then skip the sequel trilogy

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Lightning Knight posted:

:hmmyes:

The Simpsons is older than my parents' marriage.

I was a big fan of Futurama tho!

You are a baby and I will breastfeed you

It will not be easy, for I have no breasts

But you are small and need care

And I will do this for you my child

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Fly Molo posted:

watch the good trilogy, then maybe watch the prequel trilogy, then skip the sequel trilogy

i have a doctor's note that says i'm only allowed to watch them with rifftrax

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

some of the later seasons got too preachy, but koth is the absolute best

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

oxsnard posted:

so chart guy says the definitive "yeah this show sucks" moment is The Parent Rap, but I distinctly remember watching the New York episode and it having some very funny gags but it felt like a gimmick. That's the point at which the Simpsons started doing FAMILY GOES TO PLACE episodes when the writers get bored

The NYC episode is good

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dixon Chisholm posted:

You are a baby and I will breastfeed you

It will not be easy, for I have no breasts

But you are small and need care

And I will do this for you my child

no I already HAVE a mom > : (

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bart vs. Australia is the first episode I ever saw and therefore the best

well no, not the best. That might be Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment or "22 Short Films About Springfield"

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

brugroffil posted:

The NYC episode is good

it has funny parts but it was the moment for me that they seem to start relying on gimmicks.

Also The Simpsons was great because it was kind of realistic most of the time but would have these jarring, cartoon moments out of nowhere, like Nimoy at the end of Marge v the Monorail. Family Guy had just complete non sequitor nonsense for 75% of the episode and it feels like the Simpson immediately followed suit

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bart vs. Australia is the first episode I ever saw and therefore the best

well no, not the best. That might be Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment or "22 Short Films About Springfield"

holy poo poo lol

https://medium.com/wonderpopculture/why-the-simpsons-episode-bart-versus-australia-is-offensive-to-australians-everywhere-482658f0f3aa

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There are definitely some jokes that have aged poorly but I think the "dumb Americans in a new place" are played up with just as much gleeful ferocity. You'd figure if they wanted to take down a send-up of Australian culture they could go after Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles

Even as a kid I wanted my money back after watching that trash

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
also Australians and Brits are idiot chuds just like Americans so it's fine anyways

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Is this satire?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://twitter.com/Chronoexpert39/status/1277785692240859136?s=20

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
You Only Move Twice predicted the rise of Elon Musk and the only reason he made those stupid flamethrowers is because he idolizes Hank Scorpio

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All Simpsons needed to do was follow the golden rule of not just shows, but stories in general: "whatever has a beginning must have an end"

There's no coincidence The Leftovers (a show that knew when to stop before it wore out its welcome) is considered among the greatest shows of all time, not just last decade. Meanwhile even the Simpsons fans that still Like its new episodes concede its best seasons were decades ago now and won't be replaced even if the show lasts another century

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

All Simpsons needed to do was follow the golden rule of not just shows, but stories in general: "whatever has a beginning must have an end"

There's no coincidence The Leftovers (a show that knew when to stop before it wore out its welcome) is considered among the greatest shows of all time, not just last decade. Meanwhile even the Simpsons fans that still Like its new episodes concede its best seasons were decades ago now and won't be replaced even if the show lasts another century

Even my favorite shows of the 2010s (Sunny and Venture Bros) are starting their noticeable decline. It's a problem with all serialized fiction, I think. There's only so much a set of characters can do.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

modern australian culture is absed entirely on that simpsons episode this is not a joke or exaggeration in any way

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

modern australian culture is absed entirely on that simpsons episode this is not a joke or exaggeration in any way

There's a netflix show about Australian air BnBs that I watched all the seasons of and I feel like that may have made me an expert in Australian culture
Primarily, I learned that only chodes live in/go to Bondi

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
this is now officially the CSPAM Simpsons chat thread

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There's a netflix show about Australian air BnBs that I watched all the seasons of and I feel like that may have made me an expert in Australian culture
Primarily, I learned that only chodes live in/go to Bondi

bondi is for disgusting pink british backpackers and jews who never go to the beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020