Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

The mobile Dragon Quest of the Stars is just a lovely gacha game right?

The only good thing I have to say about it is that the multiplayer was fun. The writing sucks compared to the main series and there are a million chores to do every day which is why I quit.

Oh wait I forgot. There are tons of clothing and face/head/hair options but they're not worth playing the rest of the game for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Len posted:

The mobile Dragon Quest of the Stars is just a lovely gacha game right?

Sadly, yes. It's better than Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light was, but that bar's so low you need a shovel to find it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pixeltendo posted:

Is there anything I should know about playing Dragon quest 6? (Particularly the 3ds version)

I understand the game is very long.
6 or 7? 6 has a DS port/remake, but it's not super long. DQ7 is the one with the 3DS remake, and it's also one of the longest DQ games. Some say it is the longest, but I spent more time on DQ11, not even counting the post-game.

DQ7 has a class system that you're not going to unlock for a while, and the dungeon right before you gain access to class changing is probably the hardest area in the game. Make sure your gear is up to snuff and you have plenty of consumables.

Also, the game has a weird system for determining what you keep from your old class when you change classes. Anything from a starter class will stay, anything from an intermediate or advanced class goes when you leave the class. However, intermediate and advanced classes have a lot more overlap than basic classes. You also keep anything you learn from a monster class, but those require a monster heart to unlock (which are somewhat rare drops, even though they've definitely been tuned up from the PSX original).

Other than that there isn't too much to talk about. The game plays out in vignettes, with the actual main plot drip-fed throughout the course of the game, so be prepared for that. The 3DS version's localization is more in line with what you'd expect if you've played a DQ since the PS2, whereas the PSX original is a bit more dry, IMO.

gently caress Verdham/Greenthumb Gardens.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought dragon quest of the stars was the one where they had Vanilla Ice fight a metal slime and Betty White cast Kasizzle

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pixeltendo posted:

Is there anything I should know about playing Dragon quest 6? (Particularly the 3ds version)

I understand the game is very long.

edit: im dumb this is all about 7. 6 isnt super long, its very good though and tbh theres not a lot you need to know beforehand. play to characters' strengths with their class picks and you're good to go.

I just finished it about two weeks back and yes, it is very long.

Something important to know is that basic classes and monster classes permanently teach characters those abilities, but anything past basic classes does not stick with you. The monster classes also have a progression- skippable with hearts if you find stronger ones, but if you don't, you can work your way up the tree from the basics just like you can with other jobs.

Hero and Champion are both very strong classes and you'll have enough time before endgame to experiment with both. Stick with whichever you like. I ran one of each on my team, a Druid, and a 'whatever the strongest monster class i can get' character, and the whole game felt pretty good.

Also don't invest any stat boost seeds into the prince. Anyone else will get much more use out of them.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 30, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For DQVII, my only suggestion is to give Ruff some healing magic. He's not really built to be a magic user, but he's the fastest on the team by far, which has pulled my rear end out of more than one fire.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

6 or 7? 6 has a DS port/remake, but it's not super long. DQ7 is the one with the 3DS remake, and it's also one of the longest DQ games. Some say it is the longest, but I spent more time on DQ11, not even counting the post-game.

DQ7 has a class system that you're not going to unlock for a while, and the dungeon right before you gain access to class changing is probably the hardest area in the game. Make sure your gear is up to snuff and you have plenty of consumables.

Also, the game has a weird system for determining what you keep from your old class when you change classes. Anything from a starter class will stay, anything from an intermediate or advanced class goes when you leave the class. However, intermediate and advanced classes have a lot more overlap than basic classes. You also keep anything you learn from a monster class, but those require a monster heart to unlock (which are somewhat rare drops, even though they've definitely been tuned up from the PSX original).

Other than that there isn't too much to talk about. The game plays out in vignettes, with the actual main plot drip-fed throughout the course of the game, so be prepared for that. The 3DS version's localization is more in line with what you'd expect if you've played a DQ since the PS2, whereas the PSX original is a bit more dry, IMO.

gently caress Verdham/Greenthumb Gardens.

Oops yer right I did mean 7, thanks for the tips! Sounds like this game is pretty packed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ruff with the healslime heart is as close to a standard strategy as that game gets. you can get it right after dharma, even.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does anyone know of a good list of stuff to try and steal in DQ11? I'm in act 1.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Does anyone know of a good list of stuff to try and steal in DQ11? I'm in act 1.

Someone else will jump in with much better advice after me soon, I'm sure, but I don't remember there being much to steal that early in the game unless you were trying to forge something but just needed a few more things. And when it came to that I'd just fight an enemy 80 times till they dropped it finally.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Got Builders 2 for the Switch a couple of weeks ago and it's loving great. I was on the fence about buying it for ages, I liked the first one a lot but I figured more of the same wasn't really worth full price. I was loving WRONG. All the QoL changes made are absolutely amazing and fix almost every complaint I had about the first one.

I can't stop playing, help!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only cure is megaprojects on your island. i'm sorry.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ojetor posted:

Got Builders 2 for the Switch a couple of weeks ago and it's loving great. I was on the fence about buying it for ages, I liked the first one a lot but I figured more of the same wasn't really worth full price. I was loving WRONG. All the QoL changes made are absolutely amazing and fix almost every complaint I had about the first one.

I can't stop playing, help!

Alright alright I'm convinced I'll get it when I clear up some of my backlog. The first really was good but having to keep pouches of weapons/tools was annoying. Also that stupid map where you have to pour holy water.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah no, builders 2 is fantastic not just for being more builders, but the quality of life things in it is so great that it makes it incredibly difficult to go back to other building games. I had a moment where I tried to play minecraft afterwords and I found myself incredibly frustrated by only being able to break one block at a time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Like someone else said, stealing in Act 1 is kind of helpful for like, forge items if you don’t want to grind but nothing really stands out. I think one of the rabbit robber guys have some gloves that improve your steal rate which you can get with decent odds when Erik’s psyched up (or whatever it’s called it’s been a while)

Act 2 and 3 have much better poo poo but none of it’s from bosses which means you can generally just look at a monster’s bio to see what drops a Happy Hat (I think some of the Act 2 pig witches definitely do but they disappear in Act 3 so that’s something to keep in mind.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Yeah no, builders 2 is fantastic not just for being more builders, but the quality of life things in it is so great that it makes it incredibly difficult to go back to other building games. I had a moment where I tried to play minecraft afterwords and I found myself incredibly frustrated by only being able to break one block at a time.

This. There's so many added qol features that should have become standard in this genre.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Last Celebration posted:

Like someone else said, stealing in Act 1 is kind of helpful for like, forge items if you don’t want to grind but nothing really stands out. I think one of the rabbit robber guys have some gloves that improve your steal rate which you can get with decent odds when Erik’s psyched up (or whatever it’s called it’s been a while)

Act 2 and 3 have much better poo poo but none of it’s from bosses which means you can generally just look at a monster’s bio to see what drops a Happy Hat (I think some of the Act 2 pig witches definitely do but they disappear in Act 3 so that’s something to keep in mind.

Agreeing with this. The Robber's Gloves are crazy good and you'll use them on Erik for a long time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Cheers. Knew about the bosses was just curious if there were any cool drops to look out for. Like I remember 8 had a really good bow near the thief town.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Last Celebration posted:

The real trick is getting a bunch of bunny tail(?) accessories because while their drop rate boost is small, they all stack and so having everyone using 2 of them results in a very noticeable boost in drops.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Fenrir posted:

And hardly even a game at that. The combat is mostly automated and there's really just nothing interesting about it.

lol you clearly didn't even play it

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostnuke posted:

lol you clearly didn't even play it

I did, for the first few days it was out. You spend most of the "combat" time waiting for buttons to fill up so you can push them and it doesn't even remotely feel like dragon quest.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The real trick is getting a bunch of bunny tail(?) accessories because while their drop rate boost is small, they all stack and so having everyone using 2 of them results in a very noticeable boost in drops.

Don't waste your time with stealing, do this instead. The first one or two tails take a while to get but then it snowballs and you can fill out all of your accessory slots. It also stacks with the medal academy uniforms.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the only cure is megaprojects on your island. i'm sorry.

buddy, I've already scouted out the entire Isle of Awakening and started planning stops for an island-wide minecart super highway

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ojetor posted:

buddy, I've already scouted out the entire Isle of Awakening and started planning stops for an island-wide minecart super highway

Make sure you have off ramps for (functioning) hotels, stores, and bars.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suppose it is technically possible to leave the pyramid alone instead of turning it into a roller coaster, but why would anyone do that?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Are there any recommended tablets to pick up from the online download station in Dragon Quest 7?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tablets are the best way to farm monster hearts, but as i recall they aren't really important otherwise. so, use them to fill in gaps in your progression if you are going for high tier monster classes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Tablet are also good if you're the kind of lunatic who wants to farm stat seeds.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Fenrir posted:

I did, for the first few days it was out. You spend most of the "combat" time waiting for buttons to fill up so you can push them and it doesn't even remotely feel like dragon quest.

I mean, aside from everything looking exactly like a DQ game and all the references and callbacks and stories and equipment and characters from DQ games, uhh sure.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Why am I doing the photo side quest in DQVIII? I told myself I wouldn't, but after 27 hours of main story progression I've halted and am now doing it. Why brain... Why?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

OhFunny posted:

Why am I doing the photo side quest in DQVIII? I told myself I wouldn't, but after 27 hours of main story progression I've halted and am now doing it. Why brain... Why?

You do get some quality items from doing the quest.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ghostnuke posted:

I mean, aside from everything looking exactly like a DQ game and all the references and callbacks and stories and equipment and characters from DQ games, uhh sure.

yeah it's wearing a dragon quest skin but it doesnt play much like dragon quest.

the other problem being that the game has a finite amount of free currency, after which you either pay up or just cant play anymore

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Sea Lily posted:

the other problem being that the game has a finite amount of free currency, after which you either pay up or just cant play anymore

This is also not true in the slightest

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuros posted:

You do get some quality items from doing the quest.

Yeah it gives you awesome armor for going through the trouble of doing that stuff.

I really want a DQ8 remake on PS5. The only thing I need changed is being able to dress in any armor without it affecting stats like the Switch version of 11.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lmao the “wrecking ball” was a bomb.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ghostnuke posted:

This is also not true in the slightest

it was true when i played the game at least. people were completing all the existing content and then there was just no way to get anything more

if thats changed thats nice but it doesnt solve the rest of the game's problems (its bad)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Picked DQ3 back up now that I’ve finished DQ8.

Not sure why I picked two thieves and a mage for my party.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Sea Lily posted:

it was true when i played the game at least. people were completing all the existing content and then there was just no way to get anything more

if thats changed thats nice but it doesnt solve the rest of the game's problems (its bad)

I wonder what game you're actually playing. I've played it since release and it's never been true.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Huh. I picked DQIII back up and am wondering why I decided on two thieves and a mage as a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Picked DQ3 back up now that I’ve finished DQ8.

Not sure why I picked two thieves and a mage for my party.

The only time you should ever have more than one of the same class is when you're running multiple sages. :colbert: