Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Picked up NGU again now that I saw it's on steam; posting here so 4G notices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I SEE YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Tukkun, we need you. :(

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So I've been chatting about it in the discord but i'm curious your thoughts. For the 2nd game that i'm working on that's a WIP, I was originally intending to launch it on kong first. So, given recent events, might it be better to just hop to steam? Would those of you interested in early playtesting be willing to go through redeeming something like a beta key to try it out, or is that too inconvenient over the browser?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

More like you don’t need to play games in a browser at work when you are working from home and can just play games on your Switch instead without anybody being the wiser.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

something posted:

So I've been chatting about it in the discord but i'm curious your thoughts. For the 2nd game that i'm working on that's a WIP, I was originally intending to launch it on kong first. So, given recent events, might it be better to just hop to steam? Would those of you interested in early playtesting be willing to go through redeeming something like a beta key to try it out, or is that too inconvenient over the browser?

I might be in the minority, but I very rarely return to web games after the initial play session. I didn’t start playing NGU regularly until you released it on Kartridge, and greatly prefer having ngu as a separate process with its own taskbar icon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Fool posted:

I might be in the minority, but I very rarely return to web games after the initial play session. I didn’t start playing NGU regularly until you released it on Kartridge, and greatly prefer having ngu as a separate process with its own taskbar icon.

Yeah I like NGU on Kart because I've had this game literally running for months at a time and like having it separate from my Steam activity. If something happens where you can't support Kartridge versions anymore I'll understand and make the switch but this is kind of how I feel about it too.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'ma be honest, I don't have any interest in flash-type games on Steam because I'd rather play them for free and then support the dev if I know the game is good. Or even if it's freeware for some reason I feel more comfortable having it in a web browser than downloading it, idk why. I don't know what I'm going to do when/if Kongregate goes down.

e: them closing the chat and forums is loving weird though, surely that can't cost much bandwidth?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I play NGU in Steam and would happily playtest NewNGU there too.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
the problem is my friends will make fun of me when they see me on steam in an idle game

still rather play ngu than not

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Despite my previous comment, I only play idle games on a work computer where I can’t exactly run Steam or Kartridge, so browser is really my only option.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I'm not really surprised that website is going on life support. I'm more surprised it lasted as long as it did. Developing games is unbelievably time consuming and expensive, but even if you made the most successful web game of all time, it would earn maybe 1% to 2% of what an average commercially successful mobile game would earn, possibly less. I imagine the website portion of their business has been getting propped up by the mobile side for a long time now, and the new owners are probably trying to stop the bleeding.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

shs posted:

I'm not really surprised that website is going on life support. I'm more surprised it lasted as long as it did. Developing games is unbelievably time consuming and expensive, but even if you made the most successful web game of all time, it would earn maybe 1% to 2% of what an average commercially successful mobile game would earn, possibly less. I imagine the website portion of their business has been getting propped up by the mobile side for a long time now, and the new owners are probably trying to stop the bleeding.

the problem is that in stopping the bleeding they're gonna stop the bloodflow too. I don't think kong will survive this

otoh I bet it'll have an amusing post life a la Myspace

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The biggest problem I have with steam is just that I don't want idle games clogging up my playtime list, if I could selectively remove games from that list I'd have no problem.

I do feel like Steam is your best option though, so by all means fire away.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Arzaac posted:

The biggest problem I have with steam is just that I don't want idle games clogging up my playtime list, if I could selectively remove games from that list I'd have no problem.

I do feel like Steam is your best option though, so by all means fire away.

I'm surprised Steam doesn't already have that kind of thing available as a feature considering how many pervert games they sell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

something posted:

I'd be down for that

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Arzaac posted:

same. i also have to set myself to invisible if i dont want to appear ingame all the time

im gonna miss kong when it eventually goes down, i hope there will be some archival efforts

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The only idle games I play are on websites, I wouldn't ever launch them through steam personally. There's a ton of friction involved in installing a game that isn't there when you're just clicking a link that someone posted in the SA idle games thread. I hope you find some way to keep a web version around even after Kongregate kills itself.

Kong was already pretty much dead though, you could tell by the fact that 90% of the recent badges were for the one guy still uploading a steady stream of rpgmaker miniatures. I'm surprised they even still had people to lay off.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 2, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I can say that there is no way in hell I was ever going to give Kongregate my credit card info, but I've happily spent like ~$200 or so on idle games on Steam (NGU, WAMI, Realm Grinder and that Forgotten Realms one).

What's real dumb about idle games and steam is that sometimes they'll grab the joypad focus, so I have to close them before I play actual games.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rip everything and upload it back to newgrounds lmao

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Jabor posted:

Rip everything and upload it back to newgrounds lmao

holy poo poo that site is still alive

holy poo poo it's been around for 25 years ran by the same dude. That's kind of amazing. Yeah, Kong people should consider uploading (more) stuff there since it'll probably be the last online games site standing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
itch.io is another option, I think, for uploading games at least while in Alpha/Beta.

Also all this talk of NGU keeps reminding me that every time I picked up NGU, I just kept bouncing off of it because of how relatively little progress I felt like I was making in the game in a given day.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

itch.io is another option, I think, for uploading games at least while in Alpha/Beta.

Also all this talk of NGU keeps reminding me that every time I picked up NGU, I just kept bouncing off of it because of how relatively little progress I felt like I was making in the game in a given day.

Post in the goon discord. A lot of the growing pains get ironed out or at the very least you get a sympathetic ear. I had this same problem when I first started.

Also re: Kong closing, I'm a bit bummed. Bit of online history closing there but yeah the writing was on the wall. It's niche has been supplanted by phone games. I haven't been active on that website for ages and only came back for ngu.

Also I will totally want to beta test ngu industries on steam.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Youth Decay posted:

holy poo poo that site is still alive

holy poo poo it's been around for 25 years ran by the same dude. That's kind of amazing. Yeah, Kong people should consider uploading (more) stuff there since it'll probably be the last online games site standing.

https://twitter.com/yaoiwario/status/1230363076429537280

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
at least it didn't dcrease

Yhag
Dec 23, 2006

I'm dying you idiot!
Write me down for testing the new NGU game on Steam.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So wait - is there any way to transfer NGU saves from Kartridge to other platforms?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Id idle on steam, hell ive been doing it

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

bubbapook posted:

So wait - is there any way to transfer NGU saves from Kartridge to other platforms?

Yeah, there is. Turns out the "Export" button isn't just a free AP button, it also creates a save you can import on a different platform. Weird.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Clicker heroes 1 got an update. Anyone?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
In NGU when do quirk points start to drop at a much faster rate?

I'm just at the point where i can idle the interdimensional party and i'm only really getting about 200 a day.

I've not really bought any up the evil iTPOD perks for Questing yet it yet mainly because they seem so expensive, but also don't seem like they'd make much of a difference to the QP volume to help get those perk beast quirks that cost thousands.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kin posted:

I'm just at the point where i can idle the interdimensional party and i'm only really getting about 200 a day.

I've not really bought any up the evil iTPOD perks for Questing yet it yet mainly because they seem so expensive, but also don't seem like they'd make much of a difference to the QP volume to help get those perk beast quirks that cost thousands.

I'm at a similar point as you. I just unlocked wishes and that seems to be where it starts taking off? There's a later wish (that I'm nowhere near getting) that starts enabling QP drops from certain titans.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Quest stuff really starts ramping around Exile ime, you need a couple hackdays under your belt to start really seeing a qualitative difference in your daily RoI

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

the QP hack modifier can start slow but if really piles on when combined with the perks and wishes

at the end of evil right now and I get 150 QP for idling a minor quest which takes about an hour per turn in after idle multiplier reductions

you'll probably see a big increase whe you start doing hack days (burn a R3 beta and gamma potion for 24 hours of 9x R3 power) and that should be something you start doing after the next adventure zone.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Quests also have more factors than just the plain reward they give. Faster Majors, faster Idling(Or higher rewards from Actives), higher respawn speed, their own drop chance.

In a sort of a balance, there are also fewer Quirks, and after this initial hurdle of the Best Quirk Ever thing really go off.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is it possible to transfer a save from NGU Kong to NGU Steam?

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
Yeah use the Save Game button to write a save file on your computer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thank you Mr. 4G for blessing us with new, duck related content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yhag
Dec 23, 2006

I'm dying you idiot!
I was saving up for the discounted last sellout accessory slot. :( So close....