Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Humble Bundle have an Image bundle, with some complete collections.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-showcase-books

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm surprised how much of that I don't already own. Will probably pick it up.

(Little Bird is good)

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Has anyone used Panels on iPad for reading? I got that Image bundle and wondering if that is a good way to read them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have not.

I've been using Chunky linked to my Microsoft OneDrive on my iPad and it does everything I want for free. But I'm new to Apple products and it's literally the only CBZ reader I have used on iOS.

https://chunkyreader.com/

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Yoked posted:

Has anyone used Panels on iPad for reading? I got that Image bundle and wondering if that is a good way to read them.

It's been a while since I've tried Panels but by recollection was that Chunky was better. Chunky has an interesting library display but if you Tag your comics its the best reader on iOS.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Has YAC Reader been eclipsed then? I bought it back when it was the suggested reader and it’s a little counter-intuitive at times.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just put down the down $4 for Chunky's Pro mode so I can browse my NAS. Finally something for my Humble Bundle downloads. It hasn't been updated in a year though, so hopefully I don't regret it. But I already downloaded 4 volumes of comics to the app from my Synology drive, so it is already what I wanted.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I decided to check out Chunky and was able to set up a few books pretty quickly so thanks for the recommendation!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

Humble Bundle have an Image bundle, with some complete collections.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-showcase-books

That's a whole bunch of good comics, but one recurring gripe I have with Humble's comic bundles is that they make no effort in the UI to differentiate between:
- a complete run
- a complete run so far of a comic still being published
- an incomplete run of a finished comic
- an incomplete run of a still-being-published comic
- an incomplete run but the rest of the volumes are available at a higher tier in the same bundle
and also, when something is multiple volumes, the description is only for the first one for some reason, so you end up spending a lot of time running around to other websites to get info on what you're actually getting in the bundle.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's no other way to buy comics from Humble Bundle except for the bundles they have on sale, correct? I would love to buy more comics that way and without giving Bezos money over at Comixology. (He says, as he did pay with Amazon on the last bundle.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Image used to have their own store, but shuttered it a year or so ago. :(

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So on my Pixel Slate the Marvel Unlimited app will no longer hide the black bar on the top when I tap in the middle of the comic. This is annoying because there is text hiding behind it.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Anyone come up with fixes?

It only is hiding text in portrait mode. In landscape it at least doesn't hide text but I have a giant tablet-puter to read in portrait, not to scroll damnit.

Restarting computer hasn't fixed it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't use it on a tablet but something definitely happened to the MU app. While I can get the bar to disappear it annoyingly reappears every page. And it's much more finicky about doing fit-to-width to the point I'm not even sure it can do it anymore.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Tried updating to the previous version of the app but can't on this thing without enabling developer mode (can't because it is a work machine)

Guess I have to read in landscape mode or using smart panel stuff. Bah

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That sucks. It's the most recent app update(s) because I reverted to a version from January and it works better and how I was used to it working.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comixology has made Comixology Unlimited borrows available on Amazon-branded (Kindle, Prime Reading) apps, as well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How does Comixology Unlimited compare to Marvel Unlimited? I was thinking of moving over to Marvel Unlimited and buy the stuff from anyone else. Or should I just do Comixology Unlimited without the Marvel Unlimited? For Marvel I'm just reading the current X-Men books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Comixology Unlimited is, ironically, limited. It's mostly the first one or two arcs of a series designed to get you interested enough to buy the rest. There may be a discount associated with it?

When you search for a title, there will be a section showing what is available on Unlimited, so you can look for yourself.

Marvel Unlimited is more like "here's everything, just six months behind".

EDIT:

Space Fish posted:

The discount is 10-15% off of nearly everything else.

Thanks!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 9, 2020

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

If you're just reading Marvel on Comixology Unlimited right now there's no comparison. Marvel Unlimited has a huge selection with entire runs of series - you don't have to stop reading after the first one or two volumes. And it should go through 2019 instead of just having a few things to pick from 2018.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Now I'm curious: is MU going to change their gap because of coronavirus?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

Comixology Unlimited is, ironically, limited. It's mostly the first one or two arcs of a series designed to get you interested enough to buy the rest. There may be a discount associated with it?

The discount is 10-15% off of nearly everything else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Now I'm curious: is MU going to change their gap because of coronavirus?

They haven't said anything, they did release all four issues of Donny Cates Thor to coincide with issue five coming out when the delay would normally mean only the first issue would be released. The still have some odd gaps in their back catalog, Generation X is missing issues 12-25, X-Factor has smaller but very conspicuous holes in the teens, probably other comics have similar ones, so it'd be a good time to fill them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fly Ricky posted:

Has YAC Reader been eclipsed then? I bought it back when it was the suggested reader and it’s a little counter-intuitive at times.

I’m curious about this as well. I still use YAC reader, primarily because of the library and the ability to read off my network drive, but lately it’s been finicky and crashing a bunch. I’d be interested in other options.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

They haven't said anything, they did release all four issues of Donny Cates Thor to coincide with issue five coming out when the delay would normally mean only the first issue would be released. The still have some odd gaps in their back catalog, Generation X is missing issues 12-25, X-Factor has smaller but very conspicuous holes in the teens, probably other comics have similar ones, so it'd be a good time to fill them.

Daredevil has a bunch of holes, mostly before and after born again.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I signed up for the trial of Marvel Unlimited and was curious if I am missing something.

So I wanted to read War of the Realms. Great there is a premised reading list for it. But it didn’t seem like there was a way to read thru isn’t the proper order. Is there a setting or checkbox or something I’m missing or do I have to still keep a reading order cheat sheet next to me?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

funkymonks posted:

I signed up for the trial of Marvel Unlimited and was curious if I am missing something.

So I wanted to read War of the Realms. Great there is a premised reading list for it. But it didn’t seem like there was a way to read thru isn’t the proper order. Is there a setting or checkbox or something I’m missing or do I have to still keep a reading order cheat sheet next to me?

Yeah it's a hassle, but that's how they get you to buy trades. Crossovers are one of the worst parts of MU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah it's a hassle, but that's how they get you to buy trades. Crossovers are one of the worst parts of MU

Ok thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
War of the Realms isn't listed but for other events, under Browse you can view a bunch of different events and they'll let you read them in publication order. Of course this means they have every single tie-in in the reading order which is annoying for its own reasons. Useful for some of the older X-Men events because those were often set-up so that you did have to read every issue.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's set up like that for some but not all events. A bunch of the newer events have each series separated in to its own header. War of the Realms event page is like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

War of the Realms isn't listed but for other events, under Browse you can view a bunch of different events and they'll let you read them in publication order. Of course this means they have every single tie-in in the reading order which is annoying for its own reasons. Useful for some of the older X-Men events because those were often set-up so that you did have to read every issue.

Yeah, it'd be nice if every crossover had go-to-next-issue functionality built in but there are lots of events that at least have a reading list that you can filter by what you've read and not read. I'm currently going through Acts of Vengeance in that way. Not a hassle to press the back button and be back at the list if I'm reading multiple issues in a session but to go back to the app later is somewhat annoying for having to find the event in the list again (although in this particular case it's at the very top of the list alphabetically).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, I'm finally making the jump to digital for real, now that I've listed my trade collection on Craigslist.

I'm looking at Comixology's sales, and is 50% basically as high as they'll go for sale prices? I'm just wondering if I should bother buying up the rest of the trades for stuff I'm in the middle of reading (almost entirely Image comics, and just Injustice for DC). I was also going to buy up entire runs of stuff I'm selling off, but most of it is Image, and I figured that I should wait until I want to read them again just in case Humble Bundle ever does another good bundle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't buy much on Comixology but I've seen people post about large sales where a bunch of stuff is a buck an issue.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
You can see higher discounts from time to time, but I think the really, really great sales are mostly a thing of the past.

That's how they caught me, back in 2017 or so, particularly with the silly Amazon sale from that year (which means I have all those books on comixology now).

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/6/2/15728890/amazon-marvel-sale

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well I just did the first three volumes of Injustice and everything I needed to catch up on Chew, since those trades averaged to a buck each. I'm going to keep holding off on Image stuff thanks to Humble Bundle. I've got plenty in that last bundle I have to read still anyways, but Chew I'm already 6 volumes in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

Alright, I'm finally making the jump to digital for real, now that I've listed my trade collection on Craigslist.

I'm looking at Comixology's sales, and is 50% basically as high as they'll go for sale prices? I'm just wondering if I should bother buying up the rest of the trades for stuff I'm in the middle of reading (almost entirely Image comics, and just Injustice for DC). I was also going to buy up entire runs of stuff I'm selling off, but most of it is Image, and I figured that I should wait until I want to read them again just in case Humble Bundle ever does another good bundle.

Yeah 50% is the go to. Every now and then you get stacking discounts like 50% off and buy 1 get 1. These are rare but they happen (marvel had one not too long ago). Image does big sales on their entire line 2-3 times a year, wait for one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

To add to that, Image sets books that are 4-6 months old at $2. Marvel and DC do, too, but it seems to be after the trade comes out, so it could be 9-12 months. I generally catch up on things when they become $1/issue, which is a few times a year for Image and once or twice a year for Marvel and DC.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This talk made me go look and oh hey Image does have a sale going on. Grabbed the last volume of Wicked+Divine I was missing and the first volume of Ascender.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Marvel has a lot of newish stuff that’s 2.99 it’s just that they don’t have big sales with a thousand books as often. Just wait if it’s still high there will probably be a better sale later.

DC has been really lazy on sales this year. They haven’t had a huge 4.99 sale yet on trades.

You can get some stuff for 5.99 depending on the week but waiting for Black Friday will get you the most stuff cheaply.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Comixology Bundles work out to a buck an issue. (I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Keep in mind that Comixology only shows off so many sales within the app - their website will list all of them at once.

I follow some Image series and they tend to drop issues to $2 just a month after publication.

DC has a giant sale every other month, it seems like, plus character/theme sales all the time.