Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

freeipods posted:

I'm going to weirdly miss the "-rep" hate comments on my steam profile now that they disabled that.

They WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

The scoreboard no longer links you to peoples' profiles, presumably because of cross platform play.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I thought that was just something they broke by mistake. That sucks, sometimes people added me to their steam friends after a good game and it gave you people to play with. :(

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

freeipods posted:

The scoreboard no longer links you to peoples' profiles, presumably because of cross platform play.

Oh, no you can still get access to people's links. You just gotta go through the match settings stuff, the same screen where you can see who played who.

But yeah that change will probably lead to a big decline in people sending salty messages since there's some extra steps now.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What dlc should I prioritize in dbd? I see myself playing both killer and survivor. from osmosis I remember that leatherface is hot garbage but he has the best perk.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nalesh posted:

What dlc should I prioritize in dbd? I see myself playing both killer and survivor. from osmosis I remember that leatherface is hot garbage but he has the best perk.

I mean, that's basically it. Leatherface is a bad killer with one really good perk, although he's also perfectly fine when you're just starting out and survivors don't know how to counter him. If you really want to worry about perks, then you should probably also get Demise of the Faithful because Corrupt Intervention and Infectious Fright are two really good perks. Plus Plague herself is a good killer. Otherwise just grab whatever killers look fun to play and keep an eye on the shrine for any individual perk that you want.

I will always recommend Oni because he's a very fun and strong killer to play. Your performance with him is also kind of a nice proxy for your early game performance. If you're having issues with getting his power that's usually a good sign you need to work on finding survivors and your basic chasing. No clue how he performs on console though, if you're on console. I'm aware he's sort of worse but haven't checked since they hosed with his flick. edit: Although be aware there's a bug with his power right now where sometimes it will be unusable. The game thinks your bar is full so it won't let you suck up blood, but also it isn't full so you can't actually go into blood fury. Gotta hit a healthy survivor to clear it.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 1, 2020

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15308/Dead_by_Daylight__Silent_Hill_Edition/

Is there anything in this bundle really not worth getting? kinda tempted to just not get pyramid head until he's on sale since he kinda seems like oni(?)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pyramid is nothing like Oni. Oni is about a rolling snowball of map pressure and one hit downs and punishing survivors for not healing by fueling your power cycle even more.

Pyramid Head is about winning chases easy with a wall penetrating ranged attack, saving time taking Survivors to hook and the mini mori for even more saved time when a survivor is on death hook. Also a bit of area defense in the form of detection if you get used to leaving his jank on the floor around in the right places. You lose out on hook perks using half of of his power but so do survivors, so it's really not that bad.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, PH gets his power from the start and has a bigger focus on zoning survivors or popping them from out of sight. His secondary power can also help him stay chasing survivors. Oni has a more of an ebb and flow between "I'M THE TAIKO DRUM MASTER" and "welp no power gotta find some blood".

As a good tip, don't pop your blood fury until you actually physically see some one. The last thing you wanna do is waste your power running around not bonking people. Even dashing after a BBQ aura read can be risky, although it is sometimes a risk you gotta take.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I would venture Leatherface has two good perks. BBQ which is the actual Good Perk, and then he gets Franklin's Demise, which equates to "Sure, I see that team of four identical Davids with flashlights and if I'm losing I'm going to steal all of them from you"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish Billy had some iridescent tier addons, especially a steering one. I love playing as him but its drat near impossible to actually chainsaw someone past rank 14.

I've been considering trying out the Oni since someone described him as a combo of Billy and Myers, but I'm still on the fence.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I would venture Leatherface has two good perks. BBQ which is the actual Good Perk, and then he gets Franklin's Demise, which equates to "Sure, I see that team of four identical Davids with flashlights and if I'm losing I'm going to steal all of them from you"

Honestly, flashlights are great as a killer. Once you get a feel for following people based on footsteps and flashlight clicks it's just four people guaranteeing they intend to waste their time doing gently caress all at every pallet they drop.

Danaru posted:

I wish Billy had some iridescent tier addons, especially a steering one. I love playing as him but its drat near impossible to actually chainsaw someone past rank 14.

I've been considering trying out the Oni since someone described him as a combo of Billy and Myers, but I'm still on the fence.

Oni's dash is only a bit like Billy's sprint. You can strafe and you won't auto-attack poo poo you collide with. Paired with his 90 degree flick and you have way more control over it and way more ability to hit people. It's not as good for map pressure since it's on a timer, but it's way better and demolishing whole teams.

As for chainsawing some one with Billy, that's where backrevving (melee range chainsaws) and curving (using the high startup sensitivity to pull sharp turns around walls) comes in. Getting long range cross-map sprint hits are fun but really depend on the survivors loving up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I have enough shards saved at this point I could get one of Deathslinger, Legion, Clown, Spirit or Oni for free. Though of those I've heard Oni isn't playable on console because of control issues, I have no faith in my ability to hit anything as Deathslinger or Spirit, and Legion and Clown are apparently horrid

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Spirit's probably not as hard as you think, especially if you have headphones. It'd also be a good way to work on listening for survivor noises. Best tip is to use her power in short bursts rather than all at once. Oni's probably still fine on console even if his flick is harder to use. At least a quick reddit search doesn't bring up a lot of recent complaints about it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

As for flashlights, the usual issue I run into is that anyone running a Flashlight Kill Squad is absolutely going to stand there and wait until I'm locked into an animation (like breaking a pallet) and then I'm blind with no recourse. So I'm forced to run endless loops or go blind and lose them, A or B.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
While I'm thinking about other killers, how the hell do I not get spotted as Ghostface? I get the stalking mechanic just fine as a Myers main but I swear the turds always know where I'm coming from

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That could be that seriously 9/10 survivors I've seen in this game run Spine Chill

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DeathChicken posted:

That could be that seriously 9/10 survivors I've seen in this game run Spine Chill

Well piss

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

As for flashlights, the usual issue I run into is that anyone running a Flashlight Kill Squad is absolutely going to stand there and wait until I'm locked into an animation (like breaking a pallet) and then I'm blind with no recourse. So I'm forced to run endless loops or go blind and lose them, A or B.

That's when you fall back on hearing. Listen for the flashlight clicking off, then for footsteps and breathing. This is easier if they're already injured. It takes some practice but once you get it down you can stick to people relatively well even while blinded. edit: Even if you lose them, it's better to get a safe loop out of the way than to let the survivor drag out its usefulness

Danaru posted:

While I'm thinking about other killers, how the hell do I not get spotted as Ghostface? I get the stalking mechanic just fine as a Myers main but I swear the turds always know where I'm coming from

Detection with GF is really wonky. Best I know is use a lot of corners and don't feel bad about letting a mostly stalked survivor go so you can stalk and drop them later.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 1, 2020

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

DeathChicken posted:

I have enough shards saved at this point I could get one of Deathslinger, Legion, Clown, Spirit or Oni for free. Though of those I've heard Oni isn't playable on console because of control issues, I have no faith in my ability to hit anything as Deathslinger or Spirit, and Legion and Clown are apparently horrid

If you can play Huntress, you can play Deathslinger. His harpoon moves at the same speed as her hatchets. His range is a bit frustrating compared to hers but he's fairly fast to make up for it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That was strange and funny. Was up against Amanda in Haddonfield, I ran through two gens while hearing her heartbeat but not seeing her. Finally I notice she's just kind of standing around and not doing anything. The rest of the gens pop. I run up and Boop the Snoot, run away to the gate. Someone else nearby goes to do the same, Amanda downs and hooks them. The person disconnects

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You may boop it. once.

also what survivors should I go for first perk wise?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I would say Meg has the strongest three perk combo of the non DLC survivors so I would take her to 40 and unlock her teachables first but it is really debatable

In general you'll want Spine Chill which is a generic everybody perk, Decisive Strike if you bought the Halloween DLC... you might want an exhaustion perk to help you in chases (like Meg's sprint burst or Feng's lithe or Nea's balanced landing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If you play with friends regularly you should get Nancy and Dwight up so that you can run the two-hit combo of Prove Thyself and Better Together. It's a disgusting combo.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Personally I run a lot of Inner Strength (Nancy) and Detective's Hunch (Tapp). I know these randoms aren't cleansing totems, and I know these killers are using a lot of hexes. Helps prevent NOED and is like a chargeable 8 second medkit. It is a good combo for solo queue.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still run saboteur because busting a hook and running into the night giggling wildly is the best part of being a survivor

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I like Dead Hard because I'm stupid, and Iron Will because of how much it fucks with me as killer.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I love Dead Hard in theory, but in practice I frequently find I have Dead Harded into the ground, exhausted. My standard build is Spine Chill, Decisive Strike, Inner Strength and Detective's Hunch although sometimes I swap out SC/DS for Quick and Quiet with Head On. Nothing more fun than hitting a Head On.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Wound up grabbing Legion, just because for whatever they're lacking as a killer (and whew...Legion has problems) their perks are fun. Discordance is an ongoing "gently caress off I know exactly where you are". Grit means anyone trying to bully a hook while I'm carrying someone gets hamburgered. Iron Maiden fucks over the 8000 people running Inner Strength, if nothing else.

Actually this feels like a killer I *could* get the hang of, if I wasn't currently facing an endless string of red ranks. Feel like they more or less need Nurse's Calling to function, since the general idea is hit someone once with Frenzy and then run them down until they either take the second hit or bleed out.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DeathChicken posted:

Actually this feels like a killer I *could* get the hang of, if I wasn't currently facing an endless string of red ranks. Feel like they more or less need Nurse's Calling to function, since the general idea is hit someone once with Frenzy and then run them down until they either take the second hit or bleed out.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Legion imo is a fine killer with no real extreme advantages from their power, they're supposed to be a snowballing pressure killer in the sense you find someone, Frenzy on them and head for the next Instinct pulse to injure that person too while the first runs off to waste time mending. Hit second person, repeat until you either A) have no more instinct pulses to chase or B) decide that other instinct pulse is too far and you're better off just ending your power and chasing the person you just wounded. Nurse's isn't great because Mending doesn't count for healing, and Nurse's with a 32m TR killer is kind of not amazing? BBQ, Discordence, Thana and Sloppy is a somewhat standard build, you can also use the tried and true Spirit Fury/Enduring if you REALLY want to cut down on chase times as an M1 killer.

TBF learning any killer vs Red ranks is rough because they probably know how to deal with your killer while you're just figuring out optimal uses and probably haven't gotten the ideal perks for playing them with. To me Legion is fun in a mindless, sprint at survivors way and for some reason even some red rank survivor's brains just turn off because they hate Legion with a passion from the ol' moonwalking days and just can't handle playing vs them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Christ, then I end up against a 1, a 1, a 1, and an 11. I killed the 11 :v:

Also Legion makes all of these "Get this many Emblems" sidequests really easy, since I end up chasing down and hitting people a gajillion times per match

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 2, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Man I think I bought the Legion DLC and then never actually played them. I always look at the single open perk slot and go "ugggGGGHHH".

Which is why my Trapper build is 100% based on getting paid. I should send some bloodpoints Legion's way once Myers is back to level 15

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I will say that Legion getting stunned if they miss a Frenzy attack is unnecessary and dumb. It already goes on cooldown upon a whiff, that just feels like "How dare you have a power that might be good"

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

One of the best things about Legion's ability is unlike aura-reading abilities, you can still see people in lockers with killer instinct, and grabbing them out of lockers doesn't stun you like the other ways of exiting frenzy :v

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DeathChicken posted:

I will say that Legion getting stunned if they miss a Frenzy attack is unnecessary and dumb. It already goes on cooldown upon a whiff, that just feels like "How dare you have a power that might be good"

People would just abuse it (sort of like they already do) by sprinting up to close the distance with an injured survivor, end their power and down them instantly. Survivors already whine as it is with the 4 second "stun" so I can't imagine the uproar if they did that. Definitely a frustrating addition but is was kind of needed to avoid abuse.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I don't want to hear survivors whining about anything when people doing hook rescues will become totally immune to damage, depending on if the game feels like processing a grab out of the situation or a weapon swing

Also Pyramid Head ate a nerf, now he can't see auras of people in cages. And if he's near a cage for more than one second, the cage teleports to a random location. 'lol'

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 2, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's a pretty minor nerf because the cage was always a way to trade pressure for speed. You shouldn't be camping the cages in the first place. I imagine removing the aura is to keep players from intentionally juggling the cage around to stop rescues. Although hopefully they come around for a second pass for something that feels like less of a weird hack.

Legion's core issue is their power is a design trap. You can not make a character who simultaneously has no real skill requirement that also ignores basically every survivor defense without making them either too weak or too strong. And making a killer who is both easy to play and oppressive is the worst decision, so they're going to linger where they are until they get a full rework. edit: Basically if they remove that stun on a missed attack, every Legion will equip unrelenting and we'll be pretty close to the days of machine gun builds

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 2, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DeathChicken posted:

I don't want to hear survivors whining about anything when people doing hook rescues will become totally immune to damage, depending on if the game feels like processing a grab out of the situation or a weapon swing

Also Pyramid Head ate a nerf, now he can't see auras of people in cages. And if he's near a cage for more than one second, the cage teleports to a random location. 'lol'

Please say sike

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's pretty funny using Legion as a low rent Billy to just rush around to generators that are obviously being worked on. Rare that I'll hit anyone doing that, but it always scares people away from what they were doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Danaru posted:

Please say sike

It's BHVR