Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also uses it in Cat in the Hat and the Love Guru and a bunch of SNL sketches. When I saw him pop up in Inglourious Basterds I was convinced he would open his mouth and that goddamn accent would once again fall out of his stupid loving head.

He also uses it in Wayne’s World for a second when talking about the Leprechaun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ferrule posted:

Don't you dare besmirch Wayne's World.

I love Wayne’s world but isn’t it just him doing “upper Midwest teen/early 20s” which is a region/mindset?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Ferrule posted:

Don't you dare besmirch Wayne's World.

Wayne’s World is good but that’s the exception to the rule. I haven’t seen it in a long time though so I dunno if it still holds up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My memory is that both Wayne's World movies are good, but only I repeat ONLY if you do NOT watch them back to back.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I watched both recently, back to back and I can't agree with that. The first one is pretty nice and charming and has a good villain and is an all round fun time.

Wayne's World 2 is loving dire.

But I did always like how they got Ralph Brown to basically play the same character as he did in Withnail and I (Danny the drug dealer - inventor of the Camberwell Carrot)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Wayne’s World was based on actual Chicago-area people he met. There’s also a bunch of chop-socky racism in the second one and him doing his normal shtick with Chinese this time

e: I enjoyed the first one though

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The only bit I remember from Wayne's World 2 is when they're trying to avoid mentioning Kevin Pollak's eye.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's an extended village people gag and Chris Walken is in the movie. Plus the roadie stories!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's an extended village people gag and Chris Walken is in the movie. Plus the roadie stories!

Back when we were in college, my wife and I used to have a fake plant in a vase where the "dirt" was a ton of brown M&M's because of that movie.

Plus the Kieth Richards joke gets funnier every year.

... just like the "Didn't they declare peace in the Middle East?" joke from Clueless.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wayne's World 2 is a worthy follow-up. gently caress the haters.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
On Mike Meyers: the first Austin Powers movie is still really good. I would even go so far as to say that it is a classic. The other two are not very funny.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wayne's World 2 is a worthy follow-up. gently caress the haters.

The Charlton Heston cameo was great, same with Robert Patrick’s.

Also the “we both know there’s no film in this camera” still makes me laugh.

It’s better than Ghostbusters 2.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

silence_kit posted:

On Mike Meyers: the first Austin Powers movie is still really good. I would even go so far as to say that it is a classic. The other two are not very funny.

michael cane in the 3rd one is great

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

silence_kit posted:

wrong the other two are also very funny

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Grabbed from the Stephen King thread in the Book Barn

Teach posted:

Changing the subject, late to the party, probably been said before, etc, but I had a moment last night, watching Doctor Sleep.

I'm just over an hour in (it's long film), and there's a scene near the start (not really a spoiler I don't think) when Danny Torrance is being interviewed for a job. (Photos snagged right from the telly, sorry.)

And I knew the scene looked familiar So I checked this morning, on YouTube...

Pretty cool call back I thought.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Austin Powers 2 is still pretty good. The third one sucks rear end though outside of the opening sequence

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

The Charlton Heston cameo was great, same with Robert Patrick’s.
Agreed (though the Robert Patrick gag is in the first movie)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Let's face it Dana Carvey did a lot of heavy lifting in Wayne's World.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In The Dark Knight, during the hospital scene between Joker & Two-Face, Joker seemingly leaves his life at the fate of a coin flip. He has placed a gun at his own head and is helping to steady Two-Face's grip. However, in doing so he is holding back the hammer, meaning that even if the trigger was pulled, the gun wouldn't fire.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Push El Burrito posted:

Let's face it Dana Carvey did a lot of heavy lifting in Wayne's World.

Dana Carvey was the funnier of the two.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Which Wayne's World has the First Baptist Church vs Second Baptist Church gag? That was pretty good.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dana Carvey did the heavy lifting in everything he was in. Dude is the only reason I'm nostalgic for the HW Bush presidency

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DrBouvenstein posted:

Which Wayne's World has the First Baptist Church vs Second Baptist Church gag? That was pretty good.

The whole "Cassandra getting married" subplot was in Wayne's World 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxtYGPgixic

Real question: How old are Wayne & Garth supposed to be in the movies?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Real question: How old are Wayne & Garth supposed to be in the movies?

Early 20s I believe.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
In Zodiac, Mark Ruffalo's David Toschi is constantly eating or borrowing other people's food. The first time he pays for a meal is when he realizes the case is solved to his satisfaction.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CzarChasm posted:

In The Dark Knight, during the hospital scene between Joker & Two-Face, Joker seemingly leaves his life at the fate of a coin flip. He has placed a gun at his own head and is helping to steady Two-Face's grip. However, in doing so he is holding back the hammer, meaning that even if the trigger was pulled, the gun wouldn't fire.

In that same scene, you can see some blood stains on Two-Face's pillow, on the injured side. Just a nice little nod to realism.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mike Myers is a big enough rear end in a top hat that he actively tried to limit Dana Carvey’s role in the first Wayne’s World because he knew he was funnier than him.

And the Austin Powers sequels largely sucked because Mike Myers thinks repeating the same loving jokes and having them last longer each time is the height of comedy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

RandomFerret posted:

Dana Carvey did the heavy lifting in everything he was in. Dude is the only reason I'm nostalgic for the HW Bush presidency

“The Master of Disguise” is a direct refutation of the idea he’s been useful since 1992.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dana Carvey's solo projects are all significantly worse than Mike Myers'.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

freeedr posted:

Wayne’s World was based on actual Chicago-area people he met. There’s also a bunch of chop-socky racism in the second one and him doing his normal shtick with Chinese this time

One of us is misremembering that scene, because I recall it as a straight riff on martial arts movies. There's a Jet Li movie where he has to defeat a girl's mother in combat to win the right to date her - one of the Wong-Fei Hung movies IIRC. Then Wayne starts speaking Mandarin to impress his girlfriend's father, which in turn sets up the gag where he asks if they can be poorly dubbed instead of using subtitles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The scene in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEfu88qZm8
Still gets a laugh out of me.

Wayne's World 2 is one of the better sequels out there, especially coming from an SNL property.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aphrodite posted:

Dana Carvey's solo projects are all significantly worse than Mike Myers'.

He also had a botched heart surgery that sidelined him for at least a decade. Mike Myers has no excuse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dying on an operating table is preferable to Master of Disguise.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Aphrodite posted:

Dying on an operating table is preferable to Master of Disguise.

Q: *snaps fingers*

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Can you really say it's worse than The Love Guru?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Phy posted:

Agreed (though the Robert Patrick gag is in the first movie)

Same with the 'no film in this camera' gag.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same with the 'no film in this camera' gag.

Crap. Well it's still better than Ghostbusters 2.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://youtu.be/7vQSrmOqDnU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Master of Disguise is fine, it is literally a children's movie, for children. The main character is named "Pistachio" because that's funny for children to say.

I hope this explains the deep myriad subtleties of Dana Carvey's movie, Master of Disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Failing at an even simpler task doesn't make it better.