Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
I dont want to create the discord because :effort: and I don't want to moderate any degenerates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
#metoo

If these forums die in the ball of fire it looks like it's going towards I want to continue to poo poo post on bad MMOs with you guys. It's a truly unique place here

Maybe we could ask for a channel on one of the bigger goon discords like the gaming one or something?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

blatman posted:

also me

there's no other good place that I've found to just shoot the poo poo about old dead MMOs and reddit is not conducive to the sort of old dead MMO conversation I like

For real. The MMORPG subreddit is even more depressed, jaded, and bitchy than this thread.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This looks cool: https://corepunk.com/en/

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I bet the goon discord would add a subchannel if we asked. If not, gimme a day to add one to my private channel and set up the mod permissions. I'll hand out mod powers to whichever goon wants em. I just use it to host voice chat for me and a few friends when we play (old, dead) games.

Lemme know if there's any interest there.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There's no Official Goon MMO Discord, but goons.cx over in PGS is willing to host us while things shake out https://discordapp.com/invite/tDaeUqz

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Eox posted:

There's no Official Goon MMO Discord, but goons.cx over in PGS is willing to host us while things shake out https://discordapp.com/invite/tDaeUqz

What about Bad Games Crew discord?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

blatman posted:

also me

there's no other good place that I've found to just shoot the poo poo about old dead MMOs and reddit is not conducive to the sort of old dead MMO conversation I like

Conversation trees in general are awful for shooting the poo poo.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

This got me to check on the status of AC private servers and things aren't looking great. The community is split between two different platforms. Both look playable but only have content up to about October 2005.

I think with ACEmulator they are past that now. I just downloaded the whole source code and data to my laptop and got it all running. I was bopping around in Admin mode (I can read the raw SQL DB but it's tough), and there are L185 mobs, L8 spells, all the cantrips, augmentations, etc.

The most fun part is you have a copy of the whole DB and C#.NET source code, and it's not trivial to change but its pretty good. The client is still the last Turbine client, so there are limits. I tried to code in flying but I found too much of movement is done on the client.

I did code in mob permadeath for fun, including after server reboot. I just added a was_killed flag to the encounters and landblock_instance spawn generators and flag them when the mob was killed. Its so cool to log back in and find the empty dungeon you cleared, not have mobs respawn behind yout, or a town with all the mobs around cleared out. Obviously that would not work as a MMO but I did it as an fun task, and it only took 4 days from downloading the code to testing it.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Kaysette posted:

The only good MMO is LotRO because you can see all the things you love if you love Tolkien’s legendarium. I got sucked back in due to needing COVID escapism and I just reached osgiliath for the first time. Gondor calls for aid, and I shall answer!

They’re also doing a shitload of discounts and giveaways right now.

I've been thinking of trying it, but I looked at my former top level Warden and I don't remember how to play, lol.
I think I mapped the combos to 1,2,3,4 and then had a cheat sheet for the lesser used ones, and then remember to do 1323 etc. I look at my notes, and go WTF do I want to relearn this?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I've been thinking of trying it, but I looked at my former top level Warden and I don't remember how to play, lol.
I think I mapped the combos to 1,2,3,4 and then had a cheat sheet for the lesser used ones, and then remember to do 1323 etc. I look at my notes, and go WTF do I want to relearn this?

Because it is leet as gently caress to play warden?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I never played Lord of the Rings Online, but

Wikipedia posted:

In keeping with Tolkien's heavy use of song and music in his books,[35] Lord of the Rings Online has a player music sub-system akin to MIDI that has been the subject of a Harvard anthropological study.[36] Characters on reaching level 5 can learn to play musical instruments, including Bagpipes, Clarinet, Cowbell, Drum, Harp, Horn, Lute, Pibgorn, and Theorbo. Using keyboard macros, instruments can be played in real time on three octaves and abc notation, with the music broadcast to nearby player characters. Players can also play pre-programmed pieces from user-created .ABC script files using the game's music notation, similar to MIDI files. Players often hold impromptu public performances, in solo or as bands at places such as The Prancing Pony Inn in Bree. Communities also regularly organize music events and mini-concerts such as "Weatherstock": Woodstock above the Weathertop.[37]

has me intrigued. Released in 2007, the graphics are aging, so I'll wait for Amazon's LotR MMORPG to come out and see if it's any better

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i wish other games did good mmo music. ff14 has music playing, but it has just enough lag that i can't wrap my head around it, having only played 0 lag instruments my entire life, and BDO added a pretty good song system, but the midi sample quality is trash poo poo lmao.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

all the FFXIV expansions had amazing soundtracks, spread through all kinds of content

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

galenanorth posted:

I never played Lord of the Rings Online, but

has me intrigued. Released in 2007, the graphics are aging, so I'll wait for Amazon's LotR MMORPG to come out and see if it's any better

Amazon is like 0/3 for making games so far so I wouldn't hold my breath. LOTRO is cool exactly BECAUSE it isn't trying to be the newest fad in action MMO, which is almost certainly what Amazon will do with their attempt. It's old and archaic, but because it is those things it's able to create a narrative experience that isn't really something that most games are doing right now.

It's something you have to really love the fiction to like past all the flaws, but if you're into seeing someone create an interactive world that does a good job of hewing closely to the books, it is definitely that thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

frajaq posted:

all the FFXIV expansions had amazing soundtracks, spread through all kinds of content

i mean music players can play, i wasn't clear sorry.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Amazon is like 0/3 for making games so far so I wouldn't hold my breath.

yeah they just put a launched game back into closed beta a couple days ago lmao

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Truga posted:

i mean music players can play, i wasn't clear sorry.

yeah they just put a launched game back into closed beta a couple days ago lmao

FFXIV does have an in-game musical performance system with multiple instruments available, so yeah, you can play music in game with some practice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hunter Noventa posted:

FFXIV does have an in-game musical performance system with multiple instruments available, so yeah, you can play music in game with some practice.

People multibox to put on concerts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hunter Noventa posted:

Truga posted:

ff14 has music playing, but it has just enough lag that i can't wrap my head around it, having only played 0 lag instruments my entire life,
?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

The game you all are clearly looking for is Runescape.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Hunter Noventa posted:

Just started playing the trial of ffxiv because I burned out on wow classic. Can I run up to random people and start playing careless whisper on a saxophone? If so I'm never playing any other mmo ever again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KodiakRS posted:

Just started playing the trial of ffxiv because I burned out on wow classic. Can I run up to random people and start playing careless whisper on a saxophone? If so I'm never playing any other mmo ever again.

There's no sax (IIRC?) but there is a clarinet, which is..sorta close. Or Oboe. But otherwise yes.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tragically, I don't think you can bust out your lute and do bad cover songs inside any instanced areas so no sad trombone for group wipes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a sax

knox
Oct 28, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Everything you guys are asking for, including weapon etching was in Asheron's Call. Best MMO ever for the first 3 years if existence. If I had a time machine I would go back to my high school days and just play it.

I didn't play Asheron's Call but other MMO friend(s) have and said it was the most fun. I've never been into streaming much but after recent suicide of one of the first big streamers Reckful, I kind of looked into him a bit more after watching some clips. For any AC player this probably a cool stream to watch for nostalgia purposes; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvcSts322I

I thought it was pretty amazing he was this legendary AC player Anti Parazi, and then became the highest rated WoW player. RIP an MMO legend, forreal.

knox fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 20, 2020

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Just rent a cabin in the woods with good internet and play nwn online on a potato pc till your eyes fall out, that's what I would do. In fact, I am already doing it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

knox posted:

I didn't play Asheron's Call but other MMO friend(s) have and said it was the most fun.

It was because it was so much different/weird compared to the other big names. A friend got me into it and I wish I'd played more.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's no sax (IIRC?) but there is a clarinet, which is..sorta close. Or Oboe. But otherwise yes.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

No wonder it was hard to find, some jerk stuck the saxophone with the brass.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh, well dang. Guess I haven't looked in that menu for a while. Sax away, good friends.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Mr. Pickles posted:

Just rent a cabin in the woods with good internet and play nwn online on a potato pc till your eyes fall out, that's what I would do. In fact, I am already doing it
What server(s) do you play? I'm on ALFA: Waterdeep but it's a hardcore RP server lol so not everyone's idea of a good time. The static content and custom AI are mindblowingly good though.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Minorkos posted:

Making a game that literally plays itself does seem like the logical conclusion to MMO game design

Unironically this would make for an amazing MMO. Kinda like a MMO Sims game where you set goals for your character and make spec/equipment choices for them and maybe script AI routines like the FFXII gambit system and the character does its thing 24/7 and you can log in to watch/make decisions and shoot the poo poo with your buddies. Imagine a 40 person raid where every last person is a player-scripted AI. You could even make it so hilarious shitshows are part of the appeal - watching braindead AI trying to make it work like those pseudo-physics-based battle games. All while poo poo-talking each other's characters. It'd be the perfect podcast/social game.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want a game that plays itself until you take the reins for some world pvp ganking of everyone's bots

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's eve.

also bdo to some extent i think

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Phigs posted:

Unironically this would make for an amazing MMO. Kinda like a MMO Sims game where you set goals for your character and make spec/equipment choices for them and maybe script AI routines like the FFXII gambit system and the character does its thing 24/7 and you can log in to watch/make decisions and shoot the poo poo with your buddies. Imagine a 40 person raid where every last person is a player-scripted AI. You could even make it so hilarious shitshows are part of the appeal - watching braindead AI trying to make it work like those pseudo-physics-based battle games. All while poo poo-talking each other's characters. It'd be the perfect podcast/social game.

i'd play that. pixel starships has a pretty deep scripting system for crew members and ship systems. it'd be sweet to have a whole raid of goons you could program like that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Having your character wandering around doing stuff in town when you're offline instead of generic NPCs would be cool as poo poo and help fill out empty areas nicely.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Age of wushu had that. You could even kidnap people’s characters and sell them into bondage n poo poo. Sometimes I would wake up in a whole different town sweeping some temple

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blatman posted:

I want a game that plays itself until you take the reins for some world pvp ganking of everyone's bots

People do that in Runescape against farming bots.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Truga posted:

that's eve.

also bdo to some extent i think

BDO cracked down on bots hard. Plus fishing bots were not in areas you could pvp them in. I'm curious how prices changed after because bots flooded the market hard with fish and runes.

EVE on the other hand was botting paradise when I played which admittedly was like 12 years ago and you just configured your bot to hide in a safespot if anyone not blue was in local.

Nevermind that you could have an alt mine pyrite and trit in 1.0 24/7 and CCP never seemed to give a gently caress. Even if you got ganked every now and then you still made profit.

I dunno what EVE is like these days but I can't imagine it changed much - iirc trit and pyro mining bots where drat near essential to keeping the low tier ore supply going as no human player would ever bother to mine that poo poo by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ganking afkers in BDO is just :discourse: