Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Paladinus posted:

Nobody's talking about the actual real life person Gordon Ramsay, only about the character of the same name from the show that he's still playing (think Seinfeld). In the UK version the character was much more nuanced and sympathetic, and the American version has turned him into a complete maniac.

I mean I realise this sounds a bit my uncle works at nintendo but a lifelong friend of mine is one of the production managers on Masterchef Australia and he’s been on that. She had nothing bad to say about heaps of the celeb chefs but said Ramsay was a right c--- to everyone even when the cameras were off. And Masterchef Australia doesn’t really have any of the shouty shouty stuff.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Did anyone watch that show where Gordon Ramsey taught inmates to cook and start a food business? It was really heartwarming and Ramsey comes across as a good dude. I think he might actually be a good dude.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

V is five, not ten, otherwise good joke.

Romans were not creative with first names. There simply isn’t a prænomen to steal an “x” from attested to in the records, except for “Sextus”, but that doesn’t work because it is itself a numerical name.

So I had to change the denomination, but I neglected to correct that line.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In the US version of Kitchen Nightmares every restaurant gets a make-over and new kitchen equipment, and the way the staff responds makes me think the program and its sponsors are paying for it.

In the UK version the restaurant owners are probably paying for everything.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

In the US version of Kitchen Nightmares every restaurant gets a make-over and new kitchen equipment, and the way the staff responds makes me think the program and its sponsors are paying for it.

Also in the UK version the restaurants are much more successful after the show...the US version almost every place shuts down a month after the show. Also in the UK version he's typically dealing with a chef who's well trained but has lost passion, so it's inspiring...the US version is like chud owner runs a cesspit of a restaurant that's already been closed by the health department, Gordon is there to scream at everyone and do a quick brand refresh and leave.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Americans love watching trash

Speaking of, love after lockup is coming back and I expect to see some spicy fuckin memes in this thread boys

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mierenneuker posted:

idk how to feel about this post, or any other post, without a dramatic waterphone noise as the camera shakily zooms in

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Why did the US version lean heavily into Reality TV style when the UK version's vaguely documentary style worked just fine?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Why did the US version lean heavily into Reality TV style when the UK version's vaguely documentary style worked just fine?

Is it the same production company for both UK and US?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Reality shows are fictional and heavily produced you morans

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Did anyone watch that show where Gordon Ramsey taught inmates to cook and start a food business? It was really heartwarming and Ramsey comes across as a good dude. I think he might actually be a good dude.

In real life he's a complicated person with good and bad qualities. I'm basing this on interacting with other people in real life.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Paladinus posted:

In real life he's a complicated person with good and bad qualities. I'm basing this on interacting with other people in real life.

this poo poo has no place here on the internet

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Nobody's talking about the actual real life person Gordon Ramsay, only about the character of the same name from the show that he's still playing (think Seinfeld). In the UK version the character was much more nuanced and sympathetic, and the American version has turned him into a complete maniac.

That’s just what America does to people really.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Is he better or worse than Lowtax in your professional opinion? My thought is better, but who the gently caress knows anymore.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The best TV-yelling-man is Jon Taffer from Bar Rescue because 90% of episodes are him not even bothering to disguise his contempt for some terrible bar owner and then he just yells at them for 40 minutes, gives them some free stuff, then leaves forever and the bar closes immediately. It's under no pretense of being anything else.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

The best TV-yelling-man is Jon Taffer from Bar Rescue because 90% of episodes are him not even bothering to disguise his contempt for some terrible bar owner and then he just yells at them for 40 minutes, gives them some free stuff, then leaves forever and the bar closes immediately. It's under no pretense of being anything else.

This most recent season was dogshit...I think that show is pretty much done. But it's been a good show overall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Platystemon posted:

Romans were not creative with first names. There simply isn’t a prænomen to steal an “x” from attested to in the records, except for “Sextus”, but that doesn’t work because it is itself a numerical name.

So I had to change the denomination, but I neglected to correct that line.

It's a real wild thing to realise most famous Romans we know by their nicknames since their formal names were ridiculous generic- 'Caesar' means 'Hairy', and was ironic since Julius Caesar was balding

A lot about the Romans makes sense considering their society was more like what we'd associated with the mafia than other models, complete with some absolutely crazy pursuit of revenge against those who slight the state. (Though a lot of their law and structure isn't dissimilar, mostly because we based a lot of stuff on Roman society. Take Cicero into the modern day and give him a crash course on English, and he'd probably readily understand most of modern US law, military structure, and Jerry Springer)

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jul 2, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Is he better or worse than Lowtax in your professional opinion? My thought is better, but who the gently caress knows anymore.

I've never interacted with either in real life, so I'll withhold my judgement. Ramsey's definitely more successful at his job, that much is objectively true.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

hawowanlawow posted:

Speaking of, love after lockup is coming back and I expect to see some spicy fuckin memes in this thread boys

I can't believe how much I can't turn away from this show. The absolute best thing I've seen on TV in a decade was when the Mormon woman told her TEENAGE kids "I know you believed me when I told you that Mommy got pregnant from the Holy Spirit" and the Teens were like "What? No. We're not that gullible."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Reality shows are fictional and heavily produced you morans

And none more so than Love After Lockup and it's still the greatest thing.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Quoting to use when she does

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ground floor

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Yet

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

LifeSunDeath posted:

This most recent season was dogshit...I think that show is pretty much done. But it's been a good show overall.

I was really into it... 5 years ago... When it was fresh. But I got tired of every episode being the same basic thing.

There are only so many times I can hear the same facts about mixing a good drink. The yelling alone couldn't hold my interest.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

she also didn't take 3 bullets to the back of the head killing herself

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
fukken post some god drat memes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Zero One posted:

I was really into it... 5 years ago... When it was fresh. But I got tired of every episode being the same basic thing.

There are only so many times I can hear the same facts about mixing a good drink. The yelling alone couldn't hold my interest.

Phil Wills and Vic Vegas make the show for me...also that bartender with the massive dragon tattoo across her whole chest...the show is great at times, but this whole last season was very soft.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a real wild thing to realise most famous Romans we know by their nicknames since their formal names were ridiculous generic- 'Caesar' means 'Hairy', and was ironic since Julius Caesar was balding

"Julius" is also probably a cognate of a Greek word that means "soft-bearded" so his name is literally "Hairy McBeardo"

q.v. Jesus Christ, where Christ means "anointed with oil" and Jesus is a nickname of Yeshua, so we'll call him "Oily Josh"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's with the resurgence of interest in TISM all of a sudden?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sagebrush posted:

"Julius" is also probably a cognate of a Greek word that means "soft-bearded" so his name is literally "Hairy McBeardo"

q.v. Jesus Christ, where Christ means "anointed with oil" and Jesus is a nickname of Yeshua, so we'll call him "Oily Josh"

Funny thing is his proper name was probably Joshua, son of Joseph

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is his proper name was probably Joshua, son of Joseph

Sounds menacing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

someone do the"i have information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton" for Ghislaine Maxwell

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Paladinus posted:

What's with the resurgence of interest in TISM all of a sudden?

Because now we have a whole demographic and voting bloc whose anthem is Everybody Else Has Had More Sex Than Me ?

Dwarf Named Magnus
Jul 27, 2019

Ah, thank you for this.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about the Romans makes sense considering their society was more like what we'd associated with the mafia than other models, complete with some absolutely crazy pursuit of revenge against those who slight the state. (Though a lot of their law and structure isn't dissimilar, mostly because we based a lot of stuff on Roman society. Take Cicero into the modern day and give him a crash course on English, and he'd probably readily understand most of modern US law, military structure, and Jerry Springer)

JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/MuskyLe/status/1278363929899655169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
drat, Wallace is packin' in that basement.