Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm pretty surprised Scott Adams had anything to do with the Dilbert TV show because it was actually funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Musluk posted:

Technology... good?

I guess?

dammit nobody told me we're using tablets now

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Musluk posted:

Technology... good?

I guess?

lmao

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Musluk posted:

Technology... good?

I guess?

Now that's a funny comic. I bet you could show it to a child on a tablet and entertain them for hours.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

I'm pretty surprised Scott Adams had anything to do with the Dilbert TV show because it was actually funny.

I have a Dilbert comic on my wall at work but it's 23 years old

"Eggs are basically cheese that comes from chickens" is a phrase written on my soul

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Musluk posted:

So, comics as an industry in Turkey was HYUGE for over 80 years. Like, people bought political comic zines more than they bought newspapers in the 80's here. Weekly publications changed and shaped the younger culture and literally formed new swear words and slang that are used today, mainly involving terms from animal husbandry. The government issued a ban on a certain comic because it was loving up the language, it was that prevalent.

My favorite's probably 'dick antenna'/'dick winding bar'.

Generally about 12-16 pages, first few pages of these zines would mostly be political, generally bashing the current regime.

Here's an example from Akbaba, one of the earliests.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/565985701032886309/727727119659958312/unknown.png

Who are you?
The opposition
Speak up, I can't hear you

'What am I modelling for?'
'From your shame, 1920's'

Akbaba ran from 1922 till 1977. Changed language from arabic to turkish, etc.

And in case that was too dry, here's one from the 2020lapshit guy:

yes I'm anglicizing the names

Please post more historical turkish comics, this is very interesting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phy posted:

"Eggs are basically cheese that comes from chickens" is a phrase written on my soul

The scary part is that real people genuinely try to cook like this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The scary part is that real people genuinely try to cook like this

Cooking like that is fine, just put whatever in whatever and make it warm

It's baking that requires finesse.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I learned my lesson after my hillbilly sushi: brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and persian rice.
It wasn't inedible, but it wasn't anywhere near the mark.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phy posted:

I said it on the last page too, but honestly Dilbert isn't bad at all for a newspaper comic.

It's mostly when it comes to gender relations in those strips that you get a bit of an MRA/incel vibe in hindsight. At the time I just chalked it up to typical nerd self-deprecation, I could believe that that scrawny dude had been rejected a lot.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
At some point, the boss went from being a stupid rear end in a top hat who doesn’t really know anything useful to the common sense sane person in a crazy world.

That’s the point where the comic stopped having any redeeming value.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phy posted:

ah, the mythbusters method

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

rodbeard posted:

I think that was around the time he actually started to lose his mind and drank the libertarian cool-aid. At least the comic lost its edge around the turn of the millenia.

Some years ago I was just collecting random comic hardcovers, and bough from discount book store a Dilbert collection from around that time. The author front page more or less started nice, and went into freeman on the land/willpower will cure mental issues-rant at the end.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

That pan contains a thin layer of something white.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Phlegmish posted:

I said it on the last page too, but honestly Dilbert isn't bad at all for a newspaper comic.

It's mostly when it comes to gender relations in those strips that you get a bit of an MRA/incel vibe in hindsight. At the time I just chalked it up to typical nerd self-deprecation, I could believe that that scrawny dude had been rejected a lot.

There was blatantly sexist poo poo in there from the very beginning.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

HPanda posted:

Jon developed a taste for it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Is he having a stroke?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

HPanda posted:

Oddly enough- not a lot of dog semen.

No more than usual.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Gnoman posted:

There was blatantly sexist poo poo in there from the very beginning.

Have you ever been in a male-dominated industry, such as anything in engineering? Even today its barely 25% women industry, most expertise areas running in even lower numbers, even one digits.

In that area/industry it used to present things in relatively appropriate light; Dilbert and his colleagues were losers who could not actually function with women. And the only women in group were always shortchanged because that's why. While she was by far the most competent engineer in the entire department.

There is a reason why it was universally liked in engineering circles around 90's and early 2000's.

It worked until the author went all MRA and "much rights" liberal and made all the "women engineers" less than capable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

I miss video games.

I miss my mom.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

I miss my mom.

:smith:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I miss my mom.

I miss your mom too

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fister Roboto posted:

I miss my mom.

I also miss this guys mom

e. gently caress

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Statue of Piss Spa of Lava.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Der Kyhe posted:

Have you ever been in a male-dominated industry, such as anything in engineering? Even today its barely 25% women industry, most expertise areas running in even lower numbers, even one digits.

In that area/industry it used to present things in relatively appropriate light; Dilbert and his colleagues were losers who could not actually function with women. And the only women in group were always shortchanged because that's why. While she was by far the most competent engineer in the entire department.

There is a reason why it was universally liked in engineering circles around 90's and early 2000's.

It worked until the author went all MRA and "much rights" liberal and made all the "women engineers" less than capable.

I'm referring to characters like "The Man-Hating Feminist", who was a recurring character early on in the strip.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Fister Roboto posted:

I miss my mom.

Just letting you know I appreciated this reference and even sung the song in my head

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Phy posted:

My daughter thought of eggs as a type of cheese when she was one and a half. Olives were "apple cheese" because she realized they were kind of like an apple and kind of like cheese. Very clever.

What I'm saying is that Scott Adams is catching up with toddlers.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This joke gets old REALLY fast

O____O
Jan 7, 2020

by Athanatos

Slimy Hog posted:

not as unlike your life?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

O____O posted:

not as unlike your life?

What?

O____O
Jan 7, 2020

by Athanatos

*youre

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Gamer Dilbert owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

Just wait until yo ufind out who Wally is married to.