Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

if you're outside and more than 6ft away from people, can you take off your mask?

You probably shouldn't

quote:

also is it true that hard surfaces aren't a significant vector?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress my Schengen country lets swedes in because they aren't banning us either, what a joke lmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you're outside and more than 6ft away from people, can you take off your mask?
If you're deliberately standing 6 feet away from a bunch of people you should probably still wear a mask. If you are out in the woods or on the open sea it's probably safe to take it off.

also is it true that hard surfaces aren't a significant vector?
My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is:
  • the early results that indicated long term survivability on surfaces were looking for RNA, not viable virus, which is a much lower bar
  • there are zero confirmed cases of human-surface-human spread (in which more common routes can be ruled out)
If this were a big thing, contact tracers would be finding cases of human-surface-human spread, but they really aren't. This doesn't mean it's not happening or that you should start licking doorknobs again, just that it's pretty rare to catch the virus this way. Covid's main thing is face to face large droplets, followed by low-grade aerosol action where in enclosed spaces with really bad airflow. Surface transmission is somewhere way below those two.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Look I'm just doing what the founding fathers did. George Washington is well known for saying "gently caress masks" and spray painting "all lives matter" across Seattle walkways, okay? I'm just honoring the US. I'm just-

This guy is real dumb, George Washington never did that it was Abraham Lincoln.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

poverty goat posted:

you should start licking doorknobs again

What about toilet seats

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Also, if food/surfaces were going to be a big factor we would have been having outbreaks related to groceries and takeout food/containers over the last few months, because I can guarantee you people in kitchens and grocery stores have been working through minor covid symptoms and coughing on the goods because "it's just allergies" and "having to pay for food and rent" and most people never bought into the grocery bleaching hype.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i mean there is lots of good news really

- surface spread doesn't appear to be really significant
- lockdowns are effective even if you don't take it to the extreme like China did
- kids are generally fine and don't seem to spread it like older people do when infected
- as an individual you stand a good chance of having no or mild symptoms

i could imagine so many ways this could be way way worse

kind of makes it a bit frustrating that so many people aren't taking advantage of the opportunities the virus is giving us to defeat it

schmug
May 20, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

No they aren't.

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

879 deaths on July 1

someone should probably tell CNN to stop posting fake news every morning then. There were over 1500 new deaths on their chart this morning than were there yesterday, same goes for the day before. I'm talking about the actual news broadcast, not online. also fwiw, yes I did exaggerate a bit, but I wasn't just making poo poo up...I don't think? I don't even know what is what anymore...

schmug
May 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

What about toilet seats

like you ever stopped

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NahasNewman/status/1278544318689615873?s=20

https://twitter.com/NahasNewman/status/1278544324020535297?s=20

like i don't have a dog in this particular fight myself but it does seem like another really interesting quirk of the virus that many just don't want to believe. i wouldn't have, either, but we are getting more and more data that says the same thing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the n on infected contacts?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mozi posted:

like i don't have a dog in this particular fight myself but it does seem like another really interesting quirk of the virus that many just don't want to believe. i wouldn't have, either, but we are getting more and more data that says the same thing

Maybe the gods are big fans of one of those kid apocalypse survival shows where something wipes out all the adults and the kids have to survive and rebuild society on their own.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

What’s the n on infected contacts?

here's the source for that https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/children-and-covid-19

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe the gods are big fans of one of those kid apocalypse survival shows where something wipes out all the adults and the kids have to survive and rebuild society on their own.

works for me!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok Harvard, let me see what risk level I'm at... Is it high, low, or mediumish? Oh it seems I'm in threat level YELLOW.

This is from the big brains:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not green, not terrible

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Ok Harvard, let me see what risk level I'm at... Is it high, low, or mediumish? Oh it seems I'm in threat level YELLOW.

:smith: I'm in yellow but my racist as gently caress folks are in red.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh poo poo my city is only orange let’s party.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Electoral maps go in the other thread

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Florida looks ripe

naem
May 29, 2011

what’s happening in the southwest

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

naem posted:

Texas is aggressively looking at New York's numbers from the initial outbreak and chanting in a haunting voice, "everythings bigger in texas."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm in Tucson, Arizona, immunosuppressed, and I live with a 94 year old. :rip:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

naem posted:

conservative governors had a choice between covid19 outbreaks or higher unemployment. even governors who initially supported things like lockdowns and business closures retreated after they saw unemployment claims piling up, i imagine the reaction was similar to a demon holding his hand on the bible for too long and it started to hiss and melt.

new strategy is to say how its totally up to local leaders so they can avoid responsibility either way

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

poverty goat posted:

Also, if food/surfaces were going to be a big factor we would have been having outbreaks related to groceries and takeout food/containers over the last few months, because I can guarantee you people in kitchens and grocery stores have been working through minor covid symptoms and coughing on the goods because "it's just allergies" and "having to pay for food and rent" and most people never bought into the grocery bleaching hype.

I tried to make this point in april and got roasted for it despite living in the #1 hotspot in the world at that time. Some of the responses were straight-up insane like people washing produce with dish soap level panic.

The only thing I get delivered is groceries every 2-3 weeks curbside style. I woulda been infected dozens of times at this point.

I don't trust people, not the carton of milk I have no intention of licking. I get the contradicting information being the source of confusion and all, but some of y'all were busting out microbiology PHDS that don't exist. I had a friend I stopped talking to who told me I should invest in life straws and keep a bathtub of emergency water...like nah, i'm going to keep doing the things that work in the countries that got hit first like hand washing and masks and not drive myself insane spraying bleach on everything constantly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Did the goon who set up an ozone generator in his bathroom ever come back and follow up on it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jabor posted:

Did the goon who set up an ozone generator in his bathroom ever come back and follow up on it?

Did the duck/chicken goon ever return?

So many unanswered mysteries in the covid thread.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

zer0spunk posted:

not drive myself insane spraying bleach on everything constantly.

But spraying bleach everywhere makes the customers more comfortable about coming in without making the environment any safer! How else could I preserve my CEO salary? Sacrificing literally everyone else involved is the only way.

Also cut employee benefits so my bonus stays safe too.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FoolyCharged posted:

But spraying bleach everywhere makes the customers more comfortable about coming in without making the environment any safer! How else could I preserve my CEO salary? Sacrificing literally everyone else involved is the only way.

Also cut employee benefits so my bonus stays safe too.

There were articles yesterday about US airlines approaching covid practices differently depending on the airline. Most of them are doing the center seat blocked off but what stood out was Delta (i think) saying they aren't doing that because it's not making anything safer and its strictly a PR move....

and they are right, there's no such thing as no risk anything anymore.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I'm hooting and hollering at the numbers, the reaction, the posts, the salt and everything from the USA. Great work guys, you rock.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I'm hooting and hollering at the numbers, the reaction, the posts, the salt and everything from the USA. Great work guys, you rock.

I hate to ruin your fun but America is a pretty large import/export country, not to mention the world's largest economy,

quote:

accounting for almost a quarter of global GDP (at market exchange rates), one-fifth of global FDI, and more than a third of stock market capitalization. It is the most important export destination for one-fifth of countries around the world.

We're also about to see what lack of American tourism does to global economies as the first step, wanna guess how that's going to go?

you shouldn't be rooting for any country to fail unless you're myopic as gently caress or just incredibly petty (why not both?)

schmug
May 20, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I tried to make this point in april and got roasted for it despite living in the #1 hotspot in the world at that time. Some of the responses were straight-up insane like people washing produce with dish soap level panic.

The only thing I get delivered is groceries every 2-3 weeks curbside style. I woulda been infected dozens of times at this point.

I don't trust people, not the carton of milk I have no intention of licking. I get the contradicting information being the source of confusion and all, but some of y'all were busting out microbiology PHDS that don't exist. I had a friend I stopped talking to who told me I should invest in life straws and keep a bathtub of emergency water...like nah, i'm going to keep doing the things that work in the countries that got hit first like hand washing and masks and not drive myself insane spraying bleach on everything constantly.

so you haven't caught it(or were asymptomatic), so all your non-steps prove you were right. cool.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

schmug posted:

so you haven't caught it(or were asymptomatic), so all your non-steps prove you were right. cool.

i mean if anecdotal is your problem, which your sarcasm seems to point to, maybe do some research on transmission rates from surfaces like the goon i was quoting suggested.

or be defensive about your routines like the last time i mentioned with people getting more and more aggressive about how i must be infected and wrong lmao

do you bud

schmug
May 20, 2007

poverty goat posted:

is contact tracing happening at that level yet?

schmug
May 20, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

i mean if anecdotal is your problem, which your sarcasm seems to point to, maybe do some research on transmission rates from surfaces like the goon i was quoting suggested.

or be defensive about your routines like the last time i mentioned with people getting more and more aggressive about how i must be infected and wrong lmao

do you bud

meh, you just seem pretty smug about the whole thing is all with no actual evidence other than...

schmug
May 20, 2007

we are all gonna die

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

schmug posted:

we are all gonna die

:yeah:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

schmug posted:

meh, you just seem pretty smug about the whole thing is all with no actual evidence other than...

"i dont like how you post"

uh ok, did you have any actual contributions to the discussion? like i said in april, show me groceries being a high-risk surface transmission risk and i'll change my tune.

smug that i'm not dead or sick? you're dumb

schmug
May 20, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

"i dont like how you post"

uh ok, did you have any actual contributions to the discussion? like i said in april, show me groceries being a high-risk surface transmission risk and i'll change my tune.

smug that i'm not dead or sick? you're dumb

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Scientists will never rule out something that is technically possible so you get a lot of people putting weight into some twitter PhD saying "food could technically be a source of transmission" even though nobody's actually accounted for cases or determine what kind of risk that vector poses

Since there are countries paying very close attention to how people are getting infected and spreading the virus with no better idea of how many people are contracting corona through Amazon packages it seems likely that the risk falls somewhere below killing yourself by walking down a staircase in socks

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

cool, thanks for stopping by and trolling! great job

Fallom posted:

Scientists will never rule out something that is technically possible so you get a lot of people putting weight into some twitter PhD saying "food could technically be a source of transmission" even though nobody's actually accounted for cases or determine what kind of risk that vector poses

Since there are countries paying very close attention to how people are getting infected and spreading the virus with no better idea of how many people are contracting corona through Amazon packages it seems likely that the risk falls somewhere below killing yourself by walking down a staircase in socks

you're wasting effort on that goon, rcp is tough for them

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 2, 2020