Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Quoted whole post for new page snoipe:

Epsilon Plus posted:

Dear DIY Plants Thread: my limited knowledge of succulent-keeping has failed me and I'm unsure of how to proceed

Due to COVID-19 I'm crashing with family long-term in the basement. I got a sun lamp for these guys and they've been generally doing okay. I say "generally" because if you look at this picture, the center one is the only one doing well (the brown bits on it are from a week I had to spend away from home - the light couldn't be on a timer so things got a bit bad, and I'm unsure of how to brush off the dead leaves without getting in there with, like, tweezers). They've been doing badly for a two-ish months now, but holding on - I know they should probably be replanted into larger containers, but I've been really busy/stressed and was worried that replanting them might just cause more problems. I've got some time to take care of things now, though, so I figured I'd come here for some insight.

The one(s) on the left are my biggest concern. Have a closer picture:

The guy in the middle is going absolutely hog wild, while his friends on the left and the right aren't doing so hot. Over the past two months they've slowly been losing leaves - they shrivel up, then fall off/I break them off. (The middle one has some leaves on its back that are doing the same, but I'm assuming it's the shape of the plant just cutting off light to them. Also, I know what the brown spots on the left one are - I'm pretty sure that's from a bit ago, I choked on a soda and coughed all over them and didn't wipe it all up, it seems :() They've been growing steadily upward, though, and fresh leaves are budding/forming. I have the assumption that they're just too big for their container, and the center plant is choking the other two out of resources, so I should be replanting them into larger/separate containers.

The tall ones, though, I'm not sure if I should replant them as is, or cut the tops off, wait for those to scab over and then plant them? The one on the left is getting some kind of strandy growths - are those an attempt at roots? Should I maybe clip it right below where it's putting out roots and bury the entire stem of the plant up to that point? Or are these plants dying, and should I just be taking the leaves off attempting to propagate them? The tall one on the right is having a similar time, but it still has two thick leaves towards the bottom, which is confusing me; why are those two totally fine, but everything above it is dying?

The pot on the right of that main image is, I'm pretty sure, just dying. It's been very slowly losing leaves for two, maybe three months - I thought it stopped, but it's still slowly wilting. Should I just skip straight to trying to save that one via propagation? That one I did actually repot a bit ago (reused an old plastic container, didn't have anything fancy to put it in), but it didn't seem to help much. It's probably getting lovely light because of how it's shaped, but I'm not sure how to fix that without just repotting it insanely deeply so it's facing the proper direction.

Lack of light is my first thought, which could be encouraging the etoliation and decline on the left plants. About how long do you keep that grow light on? Also, they may need to be moved closer to the light source; it needs to be very up in their poo poo if some of the other grow light setups I’ve seen posted here are any indication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah if it’s not almost painful to look at things under the light, it’s not bright enough.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

3rding 'not enough light'.

Otherwise, with succulents and cacti, I've found that bigger pots are WORSE because it's way easier for you to overwater them (since the excess soil holds more and keeps them damp for longer). For the right one I'd be putting it into something smaller and see if it rebounds (combined with more light, and being careful with water).

The two on the left are indeed sending out roots, and I would cut off those tops, let them seal for a few days, and repot them into smaller pots. The remaining stems will be ugly but will often send out new leaves, and then you'll have 5 instead of 3!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm unsure of how to brush off the dead leaves without getting in there with, like, tweezers).
That's pretty much the whole story. You probably have to use tweezers if they bother you/you want to get them out of there. I'm sure it's a minor ripoff at $8 because all of the components are cheap/plastic, but I use the tweezers from this little set for indoor plant poo poo like that because all of my normal tweezers have pointy ends that are easy to accidentally stab into plants—having a mini plastic dibbler has also come in handy more than I expected.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Over the past two months they've slowly been losing leaves - they shrivel up, then fall off/I break them off.

To echo the other three posters that only showed up when I hit preview, it just looks like they want more sun—some succulents are difficult to keep happy indoors unless you're going to blast them with grow lights. A lot of people seem to resign themselves to just topping their Echeverias etc as they get etiolated over and over again.

It's normal for rosette form succulents to lose their lower leaves as they grow. If the leaves are dessicated when they're falling off the plant then the plant is probably sucking the moisture/nutrients out and then discarding them—if they are mushy and dark or translucent you should make sure you don't have a rot problem.

Epsilon Plus posted:

The one on the left is getting some kind of strandy growths - are those an attempt at roots?
They're air roots. It's pretty common—you can snip them off with little scissors if they bother you.

Epsilon Plus posted:

The pot on the right of that main image is, I'm pretty sure, just dying. It's been very slowly losing leaves for two, maybe three months - I thought it stopped, but it's still slowly wilting.
Does it have a strong system of healthy roots? It's difficult to tell from the picture but that looks like a very heavy/organic mix to be growing succulents in and it looks quite moist. It also kind of looks like the plant on the right used to have two other stems attached to it but I can't discern if it's a fat leaved Sedum or something else.

On the flip side if you have a plant that is declining despite having a healthy root system etc it could be a nutrient problem.

Nosre posted:

Otherwise, with succulents and cacti, I've found that bigger pots are WORSE because it's way easier for you to overwater them (since the excess soil holds more and keeps them damp for longer).

This becomes way less of an issue if you use some kind of gritty mix, which I can't recommend highly enough for succulents. You can mix your own with inexpensive ingredients that are pretty easy to get your hands on if you are willing to do some running around. These guys also make an excellent ready to plant succulent mix though it's on the expensive side.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 2, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oil of Paris posted:

Yeah looks like scorch to me. See how it recovers when you move it to a little shadier spot for a couple weeks

Thank you. So hard to tell what will work and won't wont in an apartment building. The season changes just a little bit, and now that building that was blocking the sun for 4 hours is blocking it for 0 hours. I will move it and see how it goes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wallet posted:

That's pretty much the whole story. You probably have to use tweezers if they bother you/you want to get them out of there. I'm sure it's a minor ripoff at $8 because all of the components are cheap/plastic, but I use the tweezers from this little set for indoor plant poo poo like that because all of my normal tweezers have pointy ends that are easy to accidentally stab into plants—having a mini plastic dibbler has also come in handy more than I expected.

I bought this metal set and use it for a variety of things: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVIEJ14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They're great quality.

I use the flat ones for weeding some of my pots. It's incredibly soothing, like shaping a bonsai.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I bought this metal set and use it for a variety of things: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVIEJ14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They're great quality.

I use the flat ones for weeding some of my pots. It's incredibly soothing, like shaping a bonsai.

Yeah, I find it very relaxing to groom my plants even though I probably look like a crazy person removing dried leaves one by one with tiny tweezers off of e.g. my Opuntia. How blunt are the blunt ones? I switched to the cheap tweezers from the set I linked after I accidentally stabbed my succulents one too many times.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wallet posted:

Yeah, I find it very relaxing to groom my plants even though I probably look like a crazy person removing dried leaves one by one with tiny tweezers off of e.g. my Opuntia. How blunt are the blunt ones? I switched to the cheap tweezers from the set I linked after I accidentally stabbed my succulents one too many times.

Very blunt. The only risk of stabbing comes from the fact that they're still small, narrow pieces of metal. Should be perfectly fine if you're being delicate. That one is my favorite and I've gotten a ton of use out of it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Oil of Paris posted:

Lack of light is my first thought, which could be encouraging the etoliation and decline on the left plants. About how long do you keep that grow light on? Also, they may need to be moved closer to the light source; it needs to be very up in their poo poo if some of the other grow light setups I’ve seen posted here are any indication

They're about 2, 2 and a half feet from the bulb and it's on a pretty steady 12-16 hours a day - basically I turn it on when I wake up and turn it off when I go to sleep. I could probably order a second light to shine onto them with.

Wallet posted:

Does it have a strong system of healthy roots? It's difficult to tell from the picture but that looks like a very heavy/organic mix to be growing succulents in and it looks quite moist. It also kind of looks like the plant on the right used to have two other stems attached to it but I can't discern if it's a fat leaved Sedum or something else.

This becomes way less of an issue if you use some kind of gritty mix, which I can't recommend highly enough for succulents. You can mix your own with inexpensive ingredients that are pretty easy to get your hands on if you are willing to do some running around. These guys also make an excellent ready to plant succulent mix though it's on the expensive side.

Where it looks like it had stems, those were other clusters of leaves - it is a sedum variety, although I don't remember what kind offhand. As far as soil goes, it's cheap potting mix with a healthy handful of perlite worked in. I'm probably running out to get some stuff today - assuming I don't find something ready-made, I'm reading that a 2:2:1 or 3:2:1 mix of soil, sand and perlite is ideal? I've tried mixing sand in before, but that plant died fairly quickly and I wasn't sure if it was just me dropping it in an inappropriate soil or what.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

As far as soil goes, it's cheap potting mix with a healthy handful of perlite worked in. I'm probably running out to get some stuff today - assuming I don't find something ready-made, I'm reading that a 2:2:1 or 3:2:1 mix of soil, sand and perlite is ideal? I've tried mixing sand in before, but that plant died fairly quickly and I wasn't sure if it was just me dropping it in an inappropriate soil or what.

I wouldn't encourage mixing sand in—while sand on its own obviously drains nicely once you mix sand with other kinds of soil it tends to turn into very hard clumps that don't drain well.

A gritty mix is generally one without soil and with limited organics. The original basic recipe is a 1:1:1 mix of pine or fir bark fines, turface (calcined clay), and crushed granite. There are numerous replacements for any of those elements; Elgarbo, for example, posted what he uses in the thread a while ago:

elgarbo posted:

My mix is unnecessarily complex, I just like how it looks and it gives me good results. It's approx 3 parts pumice, 3 parts sifted cactus mix, 1 part zeolite, 1 part akadama and a handful of slow release fertiliser. If I replaced the zeolite and akadama with pumice it would be just as good, but they give the soil a bit of a rainbow look.

You can switch out the granite with stuff like pea gravel and you can also switch out the turface with pumice or perlite (though perlite breaks down more quickly).

If you buy "Cactus mix" at a big box store it's usually going to retain way more water than your succulents want unless they are sitting outdoors in full sun all day (and maybe even then).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 2, 2020

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Oh man, I could do succulent soil mix chat for days. Wallet is right on, though - avoid sand like the plague, and perlite is okay but really impractical in the amounts you need to be mixing in. If you can source it, pumice is regarded by most serious growers as the best additive to your soil, because it combines excellent aeration with sustained water retention.

Anyway, it's winter down here and so lots of plants in the collection are dormant, except for a few odd South African winter growing succulents. But so I have *something* to do over these cold, dark months, I've got a couple of heat mats and a light set up to keep some of my trickier seedlings going over winter:

There's a real mix of things on there - lots of cacti, a few rarer Euphorbia, and then some more obscure things like Pseudolithos and Dorstenia. A lot of these things come from tropical, equatorial places, so it's nice to have a way to keep them happy over winter.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

While we are on succulent chat - I havent been very careful and have introduced mealybugs and scale (and probably other things). I didnt really get how much scale can spread. It seems the solution is alcohol or soapy water. I bought fancy hippy Bronner soap and have alcohol. They *kind of* seem to work, I have been very inconsistent with maintenance in general though.... Can I apply both solutions each day for a week or two, say one early AM and one after sunset? Or is there some other approach that is good. I'm glad I didnt white oil them, I came close.

Ps. Thread gave me advice earlier on organisation and my plants seem happier sunwise - they are on various tiny tables to grab the light as best they can, I'm glad that plants dont care for aesthetics. Also wow chalk-markers are fantastic tools! I was drawing all over the walls and containers and tables to get it all positioned, mad science.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

While we are on succulent chat - I havent been very careful and have introduced mealybugs and scale (and probably other things). I didnt really get how much scale can spread. It seems the solution is alcohol or soapy water. I bought fancy hippy Bronner soap and have alcohol. They *kind of* seem to work, I have been very inconsistent with maintenance in general though.... Can I apply both solutions each day for a week or two, say one early AM and one after sunset? Or is there some other approach that is good. I'm glad I didnt white oil them, I came close.

Dr. Bronner's should work (a little bit of it mixed with water, though a little bit of dish soap mixed with water should also work). You can either mist the bugs with a spray bottle or just paint it on them with a q-tip. When the scale dies (pretty quickly, in general) you should be able to just wipe it off the plant. I would just do it once a day for a while until it clears up.

elgarbo posted:

Anyway, it's winter down here and so lots of plants in the collection are dormant, except for a few odd South African winter growing succulents. But so I have *something* to do over these cold, dark months, I've got a couple of heat mats and a light set up to keep some of my trickier seedlings going over winter:

You're putting my propagation setup (a row of little plastic pots on my window sill) to shame. What are the caudiciforms in the bottom right with the reddish leaves? Also the little ridged goober next to them is cute AF.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 3, 2020

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

quote:

You're putting my propagation setup (a row of little plastic pots on my window sill) to shame. What are the caudiciforms in the bottom right with the reddish leaves? Also the little ridged goober next to them is cute AF.

Those are Euphorbia unispina. Tediously slow growing. They're over a year old now and the stem is just one centimetre across. I have no idea how they ever reach maturity at this rate.

The little ridged goober is a Eulychnia castanea 'Spiralis.' I took a little cutting off a bigger plant I have and it did nothing but dehydrate all summer. Almost gave up on it, but thought I'd let it sit on the heat mat for a bit before tossing it and it's finally put down some roots and plumped up.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

elgarbo posted:

Those are Euphorbia unispina. Tediously slow growing. They're over a year old now and the stem is just one centimetre across. I have no idea how they ever reach maturity at this rate.
Euphorbia's are fantastically loving weird. I have a pot with 3 very well rooted large cuttings of what I think is Euphorbia ingens that have either not grown or have grown imperceptibly over the five or so months that I've had them. If the ID is right they can put on multiple feet a year but they're just puttering along. I imagine one day I'll wake up to find that they've put on 6 feet while I was sleeping and can no longer fit in the house.

Speaking of Eurphorbias, my myrsinites has been shooting out new growth like mad since I put it in the ground:

elgarbo posted:

The little ridged goober is a Eulychnia castanea 'Spiralis.' I took a little cutting off a bigger plant I have and it did nothing but dehydrate all summer. Almost gave up on it, but thought I'd let it sit on the heat mat for a bit before tossing it and it's finally put down some roots and plumped up.

Oh god, they're even cuter when they grow up. I may have to try to source one of these :3:.

What do you do with all these plants you're propagating, anyway? You must be running a store or a beloved guest at every local plant swap or something.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Wallet posted:

What do you do with all these plants you're propagating, anyway? You must be running a store or a beloved guest at every local plant swap or something.

I'm mostly trying to build up a collection for myself, with the bonus of having lots of spares that I can sell or give away to friends and family. It's a lot cheaper (and more satisfying) raising a $200 plant from a $5 packet of seeds... Never mind then having some extras to offload for pocket money to spend on even more seeds.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
got a ground frost last night, was not expecting that in my subtropical zone. Hope my paw paw seedling gets through it ok :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Australian with Carica papaya is the only way that sentence makes sense.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are SIPs popular around here? I’ve been fooling with some this season and have been pretty pleased with the results and their relatively high degree of idiot proof-ness. I’m currently using a number of 5 gallon buckets, but I’d like to brood something custom/larger down the line at some point.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Lately here in Ontario, a bunch of growers have been rolling these guys out as part of trays of mixed tropicals. They’re the only plants that I just can’t seem to be able to ID at the store. And I’m just seeing them every where now.

Very superficially, they reminde of avocados. The venation is not quite the same, though.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Daphniphyllum?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Australian with Carica papaya is the only way that sentence makes sense.

Lol thank you, my eyebrow was hugely raised when I read that post hah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of the plant ID apps thinks that that’s a Pereskia, perhaps aculeata or grandifolia.

I don’t think it is, but it’s an interesting plant.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I don't think it's either of them!

Worst comes to worst I'll take one home and let it grow. Would be much easier to ID once it's larger... Now I want to take one home...

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Could it be a type of ficus?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My first thought was “that looks Syzygium”, but I can’t be more specific than that and it’s a genus of over a thousand species.

Many of them have distinctly red new growth, which that plant appears to lack.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Could it be a type of ficus?

I was thinking! Scarring the plant or removing a leaf doesn't count it to weep any of the latex, though. I also scanned over many ficus species (thank you, toptropicals.com) but the venation was never quite right.

Platystemon posted:

My first thought was “that looks Syzygium”, but I can’t be more specific than that and it’s a genus of over a thousand species.

Many of them have distinctly red new growth, which that plant appears to lack.

Oh man, I was just reading about that genus like three days ago.

It's hard to see in the image but the new leaves are sort of bronzish on some of the plants.

Looks like it's coming home with me today!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

got a ground frost last night, was not expecting that in my subtropical zone. Hope my paw paw seedling gets through it ok :(

Whatup fellow Pawpaw enthusiast!

Mine have been shockingly hardy so far:

Tiny one is a Wabash, and the big one is a wild cultivar. Going to plant another one in between to help encourage pollination.

They’ve made it through all sorts of temperature extremes here in Ohio (which makes sense because they’re native to the area). Hopefully they ride out your ground frost alright.

https://open.spotify.com/track/38w2AbtPoJc845XVXRWqgt?si=EZhZE_pSQ0GcGYlqKRBNvA

Two and a half more months till Pawpaw season! I’m so excited, I’ve got a buncha hikes planned around some wild groves I’ve stumbled on, as well as a bike n brew through Athens for all the Pawpaw beers :D

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Living so far north sucks. Gardening season is winding down here; it's already getting hard to find big bags of dirt and there are less plants coming in. It's only July!! :argh: On the other hand I've had a decent season, and have offset a good fraction of my costs for the first time which was exciting. Looking forward to more inside projects over the winter, maybe germinating some christia seeds, and doing better at getting my hobby down to as 0-cost as possible next year.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

subpar anachronism posted:

Living so far north sucks. Gardening season is winding down here; it's already getting hard to find big bags of dirt and there are less plants coming in. It's only July!! :argh: On the other hand I've had a decent season, and have offset a good fraction of my costs for the first time which was exciting. Looking forward to more inside projects over the winter, maybe germinating some christia seeds, and doing better at getting my hobby down to as 0-cost as possible next year.

Oh! I was thinking of a plant you might be interested in growing. Like you, I live up north and with a north facing window.

But check out my Episcia

Couldn’t ask for an easier plant. It spreads easily too.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I actually have west and south windows, but that's super pretty and I definitely have enough light to make most situations work! I'll definitely look into Episcia :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I want this shelf to house succulents because I love them. So I bought that grow light because my apartment faces East and this is on the farthest wall from the windows.

This howarthia I bought from a grocery store and it’s turning brown on the tips. :ohdear:

This little guy was a present and it was getting all stretched out but seems to be doing better now with a grow light.

And I believe this is the saddest aloe.

I’m most worried about the howarthia but any general tips on making these all healthier. Or ones I should add next?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

This howarthia I bought from a grocery store and it’s turning brown on the tips. :ohdear:

The tips being dried out like that is very common with newly purchased Haworthia fasciata. I think it's potentially from them getting sunburned at nurseries but I'm not entirely sure what causes it.

tuyop posted:

And I believe this is the saddest aloe.

Your aloe looks like it may be well on the way to rotting, unfortunately, but it's impossible to tell for sure from a photo. Succulents on the shelves at places like supermarkets and big box stores often have some/all of their roots rotted out from the store overwatering the poo poo out of them while they wait for them to sell. The soil you have them in also looks dangerously organic (there's some posts about what to grow succulents in within the last page or two).

tuyop posted:

Or ones I should add next?
There are an incredible number of succulents out there so you'd probably have to give people more to go on. You could try browsing around a site like this and seeing what jumps out at you.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 5, 2020

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I can confirm that growers definitely don't grow succulents in proper soil for the most part. Worse still are those little drat plugs they sometimes use.

Although I tell people not to go gung ho with changing pots too soon, I think it's important to replant smaller succulents into a sandier soil, maybe in terracotta if at all possible, just for the porosity.

You might like to try out some Kalanchoe species. Some are stupidly easy/borderline weedy but there are a amazing variety of leaf textures. K. Orgyalis has beautiful copper leaves, K. tomentosa is fuzzy.are

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 5, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OSU_Matthew posted:

Whatup fellow Pawpaw enthusiast!

I warned you about common names bro

I told you dog

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Platystemon posted:

I warned you about common names bro

I told you dog

btw, I like your username and wanted to comment on it a long time ago

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a more lawn-related question than plant question, but maybe there's enough overlap here.

I'm looking for something I can spray for weeds. I have three requirements:
1. Kills weeds
2. Won't kill roses
3. Won't kill me

It'd be nice if it didn't kill grass too, but that's not a deal breaker.

Anything specific, or will plain old Round Up do the trick?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've got a more lawn-related question than plant question, but maybe there's enough overlap here.

I'm looking for something I can spray for weeds. I have three requirements:
1. Kills weeds
2. Won't kill roses
3. Won't kill me

It'd be nice if it didn't kill grass too, but that's not a deal breaker.

Anything specific, or will plain old Round Up do the trick?

Most anything that will kill weeds will potentially also kill roses if you get it on the roses.

Roundup is great at killing weeds. It will also kill grass if you get it on the grass. Depending on what kind of grass you have, there are herbicides that will kill weeds but not the grass (but will still kill the roses).

Roundup probably won't kill you, but just to be safe, wear gloves and long shirt/pants when spraying it or any other herbicide.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Most anything that will kill weeds will potentially also kill roses if you get it on the roses.

Roundup is great at killing weeds. It will also kill grass if you get it on the grass. Depending on what kind of grass you have, there are herbicides that will kill weeds but not the grass (but will still kill the roses).

Roundup probably won't kill you, but just to be safe, wear gloves and long shirt/pants when spraying it or any other herbicide.

Hmm. I can work around the roses if really necessary, and if the roundup is that reliable, so I that's passable I suppose.

What would you recommend for weed eradication when the lawn looks like this though, if roundup kills grass? (Not this exact type of weed, but you get the idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hmm. I can work around the roses if really necessary, and if the roundup is that reliable, so I that's passable I suppose.

What would you recommend for weed eradication when the lawn looks like this though, if roundup kills grass? (Not this exact type of weed, but you get the idea)

Look on the active ingredients for 2,4D or Triclopyr.