Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ggangensis posted:

What? Apart from the fact that even mentioning low-level things when nothing else works is just blatant smoke&mirrors, wtf do they want to even tell us?

"CPU target agnostic vectorized SSE"

Ehm, either your CPU supports SSE (SSE2 exists since Pentium 3 days) or it doesn't. Let's assume they run their "cpu-agnostic" SSE code on a CPU that doesn't understand these instructions. What then? Emulate them? lol.
I read it as this: "Since we can't work on anything else, we built another language to describe vector operations, which compiles to bytecode, and is then translated to vector instructions best fitting for the CPU. Chris doesn't understand this, but thinks its important, so we can keep our job".

So, this is bullshit for several reasons:
- Every recent compiler can emit SSE instructions if you tell it to and as long as the code allows it
- You can use different code paths for different processors
- They target x86-64, which guarantees the CPU support for SSE

Next thing is: SIMD brings benefits for very specific workloads: Applying the same operations over and over to large chunks of data without branching. Videogame code branches. A lot.
Things like vector- and matrix-calculations are offloaded to the GPU nowadays (as CIG recognized, this is what a shader language like HLSL or GLSL is for) anyway, where the intermediate language makes sense: GPU architectures tend to differ much more and all have specific characteristics that the HLSL-compiler in the graphics driver must take care of to get the best performance. SPIR-V somewhat alleviates that, but that's another topic.

Applying these principles from the GPU-world to the world of multi-purpose CPUs with a well-defined instruction set and mature compilers is just bollocks. Also, there are things like OpenMP that can target SIMD-instructions or GPUs, but I've never heard of anyone using it for videogames. But okay, I don't know the SC-internas, so let's just assume their code benefits from SIMD, they don't want to stick with the compiler-generated instructions and they measured this thoroughly:

"This allows us to have bespoke, run-time invoked code paths for different CPU architectures to get the best possible performance for computation of heavy code"

They make it sound like they target ARM, PowerPC, x86, x86-64 and whatnot. They target x86-64, they can use simple runtime checks via an if-clause and be fine. Realistically, they might want to check if the target supports AVX512 or whatever they think will benefit them, but since they can assume at least SSE2 as a given (and even more, a CPU so old that it doesn't support AVX won't runt Star Citizen that well anyway), so why do they even talk about a simple if-clause that decides if the SSE or non-SSE routines are used?!

This is just bullshit-bingo for space dads who think that the 25 years old senior programmer at CIG pushes the boundaries again. In reality, it's just useless work for a solved problem.

Yeah this is all well and good but when they guy who has to write the monthly news letter comes around to your desk asking what you've been doing all year you come up with some BS that makes no sense but sounds like it could be legit just to get him to go away.

This is a good explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The crime is TRAIN. The sentence is DEATH.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

A visual representation of CIG:

https://i.imgur.com/7sBcGUO.mp4

A real studio (with a fraction of the budget and manpower) is the players in blue, CIG is the players in red. (also the average age of the dev team now IIRC)

Not pictured: a sweaty thumb waving his hands on the sidelines.
B-but surely if we wait 120 more minutes, they will strike the best goal in the history of football.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Now you can also wait in line in bars. The fidelity!

Never change, cig. :allears:

You could have dedicated this time to making stuff in space be better in your space game. Maybe working on good docking systems or "science" or something.

But I guess making an AI that tends to players in a bar in the non-space ship part of the game is the best thing to do somehow.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Inacio posted:

well, you don't know anything about game development.

That's what checkmate feels like :(
Time to buy an Idris to deepen my understanding of game development!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

IAbsolveMyself posted:

:reddit: Meanwhile, the Squadron 42 AI was the most impressive I've seen in a game so far. At least that I can remember. Even from the broken vertical slice from years ago, the AI on the ship were all going about their business, following their schedules, recognizing the player and interacting rather naturally (the only weirdness then being the animations which required polish, not the AI behavior itself from what they showed), and the transition between entering a room, approaching the chief engineer while he was working on something, and beginning a conversation -- it all felt super natural rather than just a hardwired event that you start by clicking a button.

Please tell me this is posted by some parody account

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

sebmojo posted:

I tried so hard to have fun in that game

I thought you did good. :)

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

commando in tophat posted:

Please tell me this is posted by some parody account

I'm afraid not. The diehard cultists are really starting to go over the edge, and the ones who have already completely lost it (like TomNW) are doubling down on their insanity.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Never change, cig. :allears:

You could have dedicated this time to making stuff in space be better in your space game. Maybe working on good docking systems or "science" or something.

But I guess making an AI that tends to players in a bar in the non-space ship part of the game is the best thing to do somehow.

But you see, that AI contains the basic functionality of "look for stuff, pick the stuff up, and do stuff with the stuff" which will be used by the combat AI to look around for discarded magazines, fill them with bullets, and then reload their gun, all during combat!

Why would they do that instead of having extra clips with them? Because fidelity!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CIG Please stop putting the 2019 Visual Teaser into every single SQ42 Monthly Update it is the 6th in a row now posted:

quote:

New player here.. this subreddit is so drat negative.

quote:

Yeah the sub has turned to cancer, I wish some mod's would step in or something.

quote:

Agreed. Need to sweep up the detractors sub members.

Get actual new arguments in about real problems.

Not fake issues about problems that don't exsist anymore.

Or problems so far in the future they qualify for the F.U.D. games.

Seriously how is that sub even still around with the new anti hate news item reddit had pinned....

quote:

I thought you were kidding until I saw who posted the comment. JFC dude. If your bubble pops, it's gonna explode.

quote:

maybe you dont understand.

opposing viewpoints are good.

hate disguised as satire.... humor and blatant lies is not opposition.

but apparently that is hard for you to understand.

The thought of it being just an opposing group of views ended when it became blatant harassment that expanded beyond reddit and multiple social mediums....

quote:

I sincerely believe you couldn't give the smallest of shits about opposing viewpoints. Hate disguised as satire? Maybe it's criticism framed with satire. Humor is a frequent form of opposition. Lies? Well, you're free to, and certainly will, determine what you deem are lies and what aren't. As for expanding criticism beyond social media, I assume you're referring to the goons? Derek Smart? The assholes who doxed Sandi and Chris' kids? What does OP and their opinion have to do with that? If none of those are what you were referring to,... then wtf are you even talking about?

quote:

Your argument could be true.

However if the group wasn't literally attacking people....

Something aweful

Aka the Starcitizen refunds brigade.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
remember, this is SQ98's competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-n3_xZnfY

I can only imagine how CI¬G are going to do stuff never before seen to such a high degree of fidelity we'll collectively poo poo our pants in astonishment and destroy this lovely game

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Sometimes I make poor choices and play janky games. If you go in to SC with realistic expectations and only spend a normal amount of money for a game, is there enjoyment to be had right now? Like, if I got one of the basic starter ships, can it actually do anything?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

commando in tophat posted:

Now I am not an astronomer, but how is there a gas giant inside an asteroid belt??? And how is there also another planet called Delamar that according to google is in completely different system? How do you gently caress up your single solar system. How do they have a whole team making up languages for aliens but no one was like "guys, maybe, just maybe - gas giant shouldn't be inside of asteroid belt. And if you really need another planet, just don't put it inside the same asteroid belt

The gas giant is not inside the asteroid belt in-game. That picture is all kinds of wrong. I'm not sure where it even comes from. Delamar is not adjacent to Crusader at all.

The asteroid belt is called the Aaron Halo and is one of the final things planned for the star system. They are going to make it so you can't quantum travel through the belt like you currently can. I think there will be some POI locations in the belt that you have to travel through.

The belt is located between the orbits of Hurston and ArcCorp.

https://starcitizen.tools/Aaron_Halo

NumptyScrub posted:

Someone posted above that light itself takes 8.3 minutes to travel 1 AU, so even a 5AU system like Stanton is a potential 20 minutes to go from the star to the periphery at sub-light speeds, and that is assuming we are talking 5AU diameter (not radius). Big ships taking 2-3 minutes to go somewhere with a sub-light drive are moving less than 0.5AU in total, and if the stated travel distance is actually more than that, then the distance, the speed, or both, are inaccurate.

Distances are not to real life scales. Earth is 12742 km in diameter. ArcCorp has a diameter of 2000 km in-game. Maybe even 1000 km, I don't exactly remember. Going from Crusader to Hurston is 32 million km, which is about 0.21 AU.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Geburan posted:

Sometimes I make poor choices and play janky games. If you go in to SC with realistic expectations and only spend a normal amount of money for a game, is there enjoyment to be had right now? Like, if I got one of the basic starter ships, can it actually do anything?

It's straight up poo poo.
It used to be at least funny, but as more and more chris's vision gets put it it gets duller and duller.
I can forgive poo poo games, but this is just depressingly boring.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

remember, this is SQ98's competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-n3_xZnfY

I can only imagine how CI¬G are going to do stuff never before seen to such a high degree of fidelity we'll collectively poo poo our pants in astonishment and destroy this lovely game

i said it before but holy poo poo does this embarrass CIG in the first person animations department, which is a huge selling point for them
it's on a completely different level.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

IAbsolveMyself posted:

I'm afraid not. The diehard cultists are really starting to go over the edge, and the ones who have already completely lost it (like TomNW) are doubling down on their insanity.

Isn't that the guy that had a 2 year long meltdown because of short hair on video game ladies?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geburan posted:

It's very boring. You'll spend most of your time traveling on trains or in quantum drive and there are only 50 players to a server so you'll pretty much never see anyone else to even grief. The game will grief the hell out of you though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just saying that if amazon game studios was being ran by google they would have already shuttered it.

And you know what, thats the proper response

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Popete posted:

Yeah this is all well and good but when they guy who has to write the monthly news letter comes around to your desk asking what you've been doing all year you come up with some BS that makes no sense but sounds like it could be legit just to get him to go away.

This is a good explanation

And that's the sad thing, really. They could make interesting articles, like: "See, we have this situation, with our SSE-enhanced libmath we get a 20% performance improvement in that case. In other cases the performance is as good as the non-SSE-libmath", with nice graphs, benchmarks, maybe some code-excerpts. That could be a fun read for people interested in those things and at least a sign that they actually do things that matter and not just bullshit to keep the illusion of development alive.

But it's not about results at this point, it's just about showing the backers something is happening. Sure, it's probably premature optimization on the wrong end of this whole mess, but the backers don't know that. I get the impression that Chris' simply doesn't know what to do with "his" 500 people, so they work on mostly unimportant fluff a college-graduate might think of as a good idea ("We have a hundred bottle-necks and a hosed-up architecture, but I've read that SIMD is 1000% faster, so let's add this!") or churn out asset after asset after asset. It's a death march, plain and simple. Good thing is that most remaining backers are technically illiterate and can't recognize these "updates" for what they are and keep the money flowing. No critical thought whatsoever.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Geburan posted:

Yeah, there's combat, mining and trading. The main problem with it is that none of it is particularly great, and I personally got bored very quickly.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
My god, this whole loving Bartender thing is ridiculous. Took me 3 days to animate and designer to script NPC that player can interact with in various ways, yet these guys wasted 3 years on this? This is so depressing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Geburan posted:

Yeah, you can earn about 200,000 aUEC per hour doing combat missions around Hurston, even with a poo poo-tier ship. Once you have some capital you can do trading to accelerate your earnings, but it is pretty risky as all it takes is one 30k error to wipe out a lot of money.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Geburan posted:

Wait for a free fly and then you can flog yourself on that. DO NOT give Chris Roberts any money, or, through inaction, allow anyone else to give Chris Roberts any money.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just saying that if amazon game studios was being ran by google they would have already shuttered it.

And you know what, thats the proper response

Honestly I'm betting they're pretty close now after the Crucible thing. It's pretty funny how everyone saw this coming but them - me-too MOBAs, BRs, and hero shooters have a history of crashing and burning, and they made a game that is all three.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:3:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

A visual representation of CIG:

https://i.imgur.com/7sBcGUO.mp4

A real studio (with a fraction of the budget and manpower) is the players in blue, CIG is the players in red. (also the average age of the dev team now IIRC)

Not pictured: a sweaty thumb waving his hands on the sidelines.

thats the coolest thing i saw today. to be honest it was not a cool day, but this is funny

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Deadreak posted:

My god, this whole loving Bartender thing is ridiculous. Took me 3 days to animate and designer to script NPC that player can interact with in various ways, yet these guys wasted 3 years on this? This is so depressing.

You didn't have AAAA level fidelity. And you probably had a green pixel.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

DOMDOM posted:

They also began leveraging the usable system functionalities of the bartender in a combat scenario. In the social environment, they created the concept of usables that can produce and accept items:

“An ammo box is nothing else than an item provider. The item itself could produce magazines or it might have magazines attached, similar to how a beer fridge can contain beer bottles, but a mixing station can create the drinks from specific source items. This allows NPCs to search for places in the world that can provide them with magazines of a specific type, relocate to those objects, and refill their loadout. This gives opportunity for the player and forces NPCs to evaluate the environment to decide if and when it’s appropriate to use those refill spots.”

now i might not be a fancy developer, but what they are describing here sounds to me a lot like an item box

why is being put items into or retrieving items from a box being touted as progress?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deadreak posted:

An ammo box is nothing else than an item provider. The item itself could produce magazines or it might have magazines attached, similar to how a beer fridge can contain beer bottles, but a mixing station can create the drinks from specific source items. This allows NPCs to search for places in the world that can provide them with magazines of a specific type, relocate to those objects, and refill their loadout. This gives opportunity for the player and forces NPCs to evaluate the environment to decide if and when it’s appropriate to use those refill spots.

There are a lot of other implications as well, if you think about it. Grabbing a drink from a fridge or an ammo box from a crate extends to things like grabbing a component from an engineering compartment and replacing a fuse in your ship's shield generator. If we want AI crew, they have to be able to do these "pathfind, fetch a thing, pathfind, and perform an action" tasks reliably and systemically.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

CIG: "Gen12" renderer.

What commandos think its means: They've updated to DX12 or Vulcan!

What it really means: We are calling our graphics pipeline Gen12 to mislead you.

Shitizens when its discovered the game is still running DX11: they never said they were using DirectX 12! That was your misunderstanding!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
BTW, Everybody should read their monthly report, it's fun!

And they have SPACE BEARS now!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17670-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-June-2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

BTW, Everybody should read their monthly report, it's fun!

And they have SPACE BEARS now!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17670-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-June-2020

CIG Monthly News Letter posted:

“We have begun modeling work on what we are calling the ‘Pyro Crab’. We don’t know what the future holds yet for this asset, but we’re excited to work on it.”

Pure CIG

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
hey I was playing a game and I saw a pixel that looks like it should have been blue, do I understand game development now?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

El Spamo posted:

hey I was playing a game and I saw a pixel that looks like it should have been blue, do I understand game development now?

Did you berate the person in charge of that pixel in front of all their coworkers? Were you wearing black?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Popete posted:

“We have begun modeling work on what we are calling the ‘Pyro Crab’. We don’t know what the future holds yet for this asset, but we’re excited to work on it.”

Just start cranking out art, we'll show it off and put it somewhere while the programming team slowly drowns in tech debt.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Popete posted:

Pure CIG

Wasn’t the giant enemy crab meme like ten years ago?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly I'm betting they're pretty close now after the Crucible thing. It's pretty funny how everyone saw this coming but them - me-too MOBAs, BRs, and hero shooters have a history of crashing and burning, and they made a game that is all three.

Meanwhile, the new Battle Royale from Ubisoft is top of Twitch right now :ohdear:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

They also haven't designed a game yet, so that's something too.

But my god they nailed the bartender.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

no_recall posted:

E: Some context.

This is the SJ (Shivan Juggernaught) Sathanas, the biggest star destroying ship from Freespace 2 (1999).

I thought I was the only one. It's funny that they might be cribbing from something Ben lesnick hated out of jealousy.

Freespace is still one of the premier linear space combat game and made it feel more personal because of the impending unknown apocalypse known as the shivans.

gently caress me, their military strength is underestimated almost every time you encounter them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

bartender AI (and SSE instruction sets) will fix this