Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

I'm trying to get on the breadwagon but my starter just will not rise no matter what. It blooms on the second and third day, but after that it's just :geno: no matter how I feed it.

I started the present batch more than a week ago. The flour is Gold Medal All-Purpose. (King Arthur was out of stock.) At present I'm feeding it daily using 1 part (about 2 Tbsp) existing starter, 1 part flour, a bit less than 1 part water by volume. The consistency is smooth and plastic, not liquid. The container is a tall drinking glass covered with a paper towel and an inverted measuring cup. I leave it on the counter.

Since I started covering it this way I've noticed a stronger alcohol odor, but if I don't cover it securely fruit flies will get in.

I've tried feeding it twice a day, setting it in the sun, adding a bit of sugar. All I get are some bubbles on the surface. I feel cursed.

e: I tried a float test. It doesn't float.

I had a very similar issue with mine, and let it go several weeks of being just a smelly turd in a jar but didn't get any change. As an experiment, I switched from tap water to bottled and it picked up immediately. My tap water has a smell to it, but I didn't think it was bad enough to impede yeast growth.

If you don't get any improvement in another week of regular feeding, maybe try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I accidentally ordered a pound of Saf Gold Instant Yeast when I apparently should have ordered Saf Red. Am I hosed? It says it's for "low moisture" recipes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is that their pastry yeast?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I think so:

"For sweet dough varieties (with a sugar content in excess of 5% of the total flour weight)"

:negative:

Edit: I was able to cancel the order and get some Red instead.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 24, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It should work regardless. Too much sugar is not good for one of either inhibiting yeast or giving it too much. Idk which is applicable

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

In honour of the forums loving dying or whatever, here's some milk bread I made inspired by someone earlier in this thread

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

No ring 4/10

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I think he's referring to a circular pattern in the crumb from rolling the dough prior to shaping, kinda sort of like a sideways cinnamon roll.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
So, quick question before the forum blows up:

I got a 12.5kg bag of rye flour the other day. Generally I bake the King Arthur no knead sourdough recipe. How would I go about using some rye in this or anything else?

Also, from some google searching, I've heard you can sub in around 10% rye in most bread dough recipes and end up with a stronger yeast character and subtle graininess. How far off the mark is this? I honestly don't stumble into rye breads that much in the wild

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nanpa posted:

So, quick question before the forum blows up:

I got a 12.5kg bag of rye flour the other day. Generally I bake the King Arthur no knead sourdough recipe. How would I go about using some rye in this or anything else?

Also, from some google searching, I've heard you can sub in around 10% rye in most bread dough recipes and end up with a stronger yeast character and subtle graininess. How far off the mark is this? I honestly don't stumble into rye breads that much in the wild

You can add a lot of rye (up to 50%) but it makes bread much denser. Adding a bit will add some flavour.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
You can feed it to your starter too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

you ate my cat posted:

I had a very similar issue with mine, and let it go several weeks of being just a smelly turd in a jar but didn't get any change. As an experiment, I switched from tap water to bottled and it picked up immediately. My tap water has a smell to it, but I didn't think it was bad enough to impede yeast growth.

If you don't get any improvement in another week of regular feeding, maybe try that?

This is a good point. I switched to bottled mineral water because my local tap water has chloramine in it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Splinter posted:

What recipes are you guys using for your bagels? I've been following the Chef Steps recipe and my results have been pretty good (especially flavor wise when using malt powder in the dough and malt syrup in the boil), but I'd like to try out other methods to get some ideas for how I can tweak things. I've also tried the Serious Eats Bravetart recipe but that one is very similar (and inferior imo) to the Chef Steps one.

I used the chef steps recipe but instead of 65g bagels I make them 100-110g.

These obviously are a bit bigger, and so the proof time may be longer and well as the baking time, but they’re more the size I’m used to seeing.

I always make everything bagels. I tried doing a cinnamon raisin but they didn’t turn out great.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
After thickening my starter so that the gases remain trapped instead of bubbling out, I am finally seeing it rise.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Really happy with my loaf from this morning

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dacap posted:

Really happy with my loaf from this morning

looks great! nice ear

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Where do yall order your bulk flour

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Where do yall order your bulk flour

I'm in Toronto so I go to the Grain Process Enterprises outlet in Scarborough. You are probably not in Toronto so this doesn't help you, but if anyone reading the thread is from the GTA, that place has the best prices on flour that I've seen.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Made some breads

15% rye
85% random ap flour to finish off several bags
88% hydration

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
After a significant procrastination I have started a starter. I'm following the King Arthur method and I used some 100% whole wheat starter that has been sitting in my cupboard for a couple of years.

That stuff must have been quite full of living yeasts. After the first 24 hours it had risen a little and was lightly bubbly and 12 hours after the first discard and feeding its more than doubled in size and is happily bubbling away. Still smells more like wet flour than what I expect from previous experience with bread making.

Should be ready to make a loaf on Saturday.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Latest loaf, I'm struggling with scoring but it's making good enough bread for the week

It's pumpkin and oat bread with some messing around with kneading and proofing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Using oat flour or just threw in some rolled oats?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I read the words "sourdough donuts" too often here so I gave it an attempt. I've never made any sort of donut before, and didn't get the oil hot enough, which is embarrassing as I was checking with a thermometer. They had a core of raw dough, but after a few moments of sulking, I just baked them for ten. So now they're edible, albeit disconcertingly crispy, and since I threw some coco powder in they look more like a plate of baked potatoes.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

Using oat flour or just threw in some rolled oats?

I'm blending up 100g of oats and incorporating that into the dry flour mix

EDIT: It went down real well for breakfast

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 2, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jestery posted:

Latest loaf, I'm struggling with scoring but it's making good enough bread for the week

It's pumpkin and oat bread with some messing around with kneading and proofing.

The thumbnail with towel and bread together looks like some kind of headcrab loaf

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

First time using the banneton naked with just a shitload of rice flour. Success! It overproofed a bit I think since the oven spring was just OK, but crumb is airy and glossy af.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I’ve been too afraid of sticking to take the linen lining out of my banneton. Is there a functional reason that I should do it beyond the nice aesthetic of the swirls on the crust?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dacap posted:

I’ve been too afraid of sticking to take the linen lining out of my banneton. Is there a functional reason that I should do it beyond the nice aesthetic of the swirls on the crust?

FWIW I've never used either of my 2 bannetons with the linen in, and have never had any sticking (using either rice flour or AP).

nwin posted:

I used the chef steps recipe but instead of 65g bagels I make them 100-110g.

These obviously are a bit bigger, and so the proof time may be longer and well as the baking time, but they’re more the size I’m used to seeing.

I always make everything bagels. I tried doing a cinnamon raisin but they didn’t turn out great.

lol yeah I tried the 65g bagels once (I believe the bravetart recipe uses similarly sized balls as well) and they are hilariously small. I'll sometimes go as high as ~130g. I had not considered that I should be increasing the proof time due to the larger balls, so I'll give that a shot. Bake time is significantly longer than what the recipe calls for when doing this. I'm a 100% poppy seed bagel guy most of the time.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 4, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Splinter posted:

FWIW I've never used either of my 2 bannetons with the linen in, and have never had any sticking (using either rice flour or AP).

lol yeah I tried the 65g bagels once (I believe the bravetart recipe uses similarly sized balls as well) and they are hilariously small. I'll sometimes go as high as ~130g. I had not considered that I should be increasing the proof time due to the larger balls, so I'll give that a shot. Bake time is significantly longer than what the recipe calls for when doing this. I'm a 100% poppy seed bagel guy most of the time.

Yeah rehearsing the proof:I still use their method of using a bowl or water to test it. Pretty sure it was a bit longer than the 65g balls.

Only issue I have with making them is it makes so much for my wife and I. We plow through them and try to freeze some usually.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Hi. Uneaten sourdough bagels can be mailed to me. I will cover the shipping charges.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm doing some beetroot bread today

Did an overnight proof on the vege-levan

Should be good fun

Edit: forgive the sideway pic, the upload situation is odd at the moment

Jestery fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 4, 2020

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Sticking concerns aside, is there actually a benefit in any way to not using the liner in the banneton?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pattern

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dacap posted:

Sticking concerns aside, is there actually a benefit in any way to not using the liner in the banneton?

It's mostly for the pretty lines.

I was having moisture issues too. Had been using a liner, covered with a tea towel and sealed in a plastic bag. Water would saturated the towel and the liner, which seemed to make it stickier and it would always get stuck in the seams.

The last time I used no liner and just covered the very top with some press and seal plastic stuff. Top of the dough was moist, but it seemed like it benefited some from the dough being able to breath through the banneton. Likely it was 90% the rice flour and ditching the plastic bag that changed things for the better though.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Made some sourdough foccacia today

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dacap posted:

Made some sourdough foccacia today

Look super good, so neatly laid out.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i made sourdough focaccia last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Hey, so my starter smells ripe, almost painfully sour if you stick your nose in it, it has lots of bubbles in it, but basically doesn't rise at all. I have it in a graduated cylinder and it just doesn't budge. I have a lid on it but it's pretty loose should be getting air in.

I'm on day 7 of feeding it. Any thoughts or just keep with it?