Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

always be closing posted:

Great stuff, I think i recognize that other coupe from instagram. Gave it up for lent but ill hook up with you on there once i get back on.

e- good luck with the baby, its a game changer!

thanks! I'm @supercruiserstudios

yeah, im psyched about baby boy - the timing of all of this crap makes me nervous.

Krakkles posted:

Did this guy drive up to the event last year (~late october, I think you said you were going?)

I'm like 99% sure this is the car we saw on the 5N while we were heading to Redding to get our puppy.

These model a's arent really freeway cars, the coupe has a banger too- so if you saw it, it was probably being towed. As far as power - I blow the doors off of him, I probably shouldn't say this because he's not here to defend himself, but he's having issues keeping that car running tops.

I'm really starting to consider building another one of these with a more modern (1950's) V8 and a 32 frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
well, what do you do when you have a ton of old crap sitting around, well, you start restoring them.. and writing long winded history posts to automotive forums...

This is a 1937-8 Mercury "Pod Bike" -

In original condition it might look something like this:

note the dashboard pod - hence the name pod bike!

the late 30s as a time of incredible industrial design - seeing the way the wind was blowing, companies scrambled to hire designers that could bring the modernity of design to common products for consumers. The Murray company, which I believe is now owned in name only by Briggs & Stratton, was a manufacturing company that mostly did bicycles, kids ride on toys like wagons, pedal cars and trikes - I believe they also had some other things that they made too, but I can remeber as a kid watching nick game shows where the prizes were a new Murray bicycle...

anyway, in late 36 they hired a prolithic designer with probably one of the coolest names ever - Viktor Schreckengost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Schreckengost

Bicycle companies were oddly structured - nothing like the car industry. Murray made their own line of bikes, plus bikes sold by sears under the name Elgin - but sears sold other bikes branded Elgin that were made by other companies.. and so on and so forth - so many companies all with unique attributes

Many people default and immediately think of Schwinn when it comes to old bicycles - while schwinn was essentially the most popular of bicycle, there were so many other companies out there making, IMHO cooler bikes than schwinn

some of the major players in vintage bicycles:
Schwinn
Murray
Cleveland Welding co (CWC)
Westfield
Shelby
Monark

just to name a few..

When I began collecting bikes I got in to it because I was in my early 20s, I had a job at Disney making way too much money, living at home and I was completely manic about cars and vintage crap - every weekend id dig thru estate sales, swap meets - I was totally insane. I had 6 cars stashed throughout the neighborhood and I was streched really thin - when I was in high school I was really big in to mountain biking, so I loved riding, and I figured my bike should match my cars, so I started looking for late 50s bikes, and I was surprised to see that the giant deluxe bikes that I wanted were all but history by the late 50s - the hayday for that was late 30s to the mid 50s. - my first bike was one of these:

i believe mine was a 59 - I hated the red so I stripped it and painted it sea foam green - I went to a bike shop and overpaid for new set of chinese wheels with a coaster brake - crumby whitewall tires and some repop green grips. I put it together and rode the crap out of it. I replaced the old flashlight bulb with an LED light that I wired to a switch on the tank - I'd take it inside the house every night, I loved the thing, but I wanted the bigger, older bikes.

my next bike was the black bike with red fenders that was pictured in the background of the first pic... its a 1938 Hawthorne - made by CWC - the bug was planted... many followed... at one point I had 65 bicycles. in 2012 my mom moved to a new place. By then I had my own place that didn't have enough room for my collection so I began selling them off. I finally got down to about 14, then completely bowed out of the hobby - there are more than a few that I really regret selling, but I kept the ones with original nice paint, or the ones that were really special. - full circle to this...

you can see some of them here in this pic...

Id use them at halloween:

--

this was the last vintage i bought about 5 years ago -

1940 Western Flyer - sold at the Western Auto stores! I bought it for 100 bucks at a garage sale - its probably worth about 5-600 now - if it had a springer fork, it would probably push it to 800-1000

then there's this!

woah its the bike in the first pic! but complete - I uploaded this pic 6 years ago! I built this thing as a klunker - a Klunker is one of the earliest forms of mountain biking - in the late 60s and 70s guys would take heavy duty vintage bike frames, upgrade the brakes, add gears, pull all the crap off them and bomb hills in Marin county! they were big, cumbersome and klunky - hence the name. My friends and I were doing pretty well at adulting so we started taking weekend trips with our wives to a lovely coastal spot where we could ride, and the women would bask on the beach while we rode the trails. my bike was kind of a hybrid, it had a 4 linked girder style fork that came from a 90s mountain bike called a Girvin ProFlex - which was an extremely high end boutique mountain bike built in the USA, they were one of the very first full suspension bikes. I bought the fork on ebay for nothing and adapted it in to this late 30s frame. I had some 26" BMX rims with heavy spokes laced to a sealed bearing front hub, a new 2 speed kickback hub - it had a sealed bearing bottom bracket and more high end shimano 90s cranks!

I thrashed the gently caress out of this thing for a year or two and as our rides kept getting more intense, I decied it was time to get a modern bike that may be a bit easier to ride. wrong! I spent a ton of money on a modern cannondale bike that was totally awful. I couldn't get used to it, so I sold it - in the meanwhile I had dismantled my klunker to improve it.. I wanted to chrome the whole thing, find some other cool 90s parts for it and just turn it in to a super slick neighborhood cruiser with some BMX heritage - so now this bike was in a million peices, and I had a modern bike I hated.. so I kinda bowed out of our rides, other friends had kids, so that took them out of it too, but for a brief moment we were getting back to some seriously fun riding.

a few years later these bad motherfuckers came out and basically checked everything off my list.

gears, disc brakes, giant wheels - this thing feels like your first bike - its the best modern bike I've ever had, I love it, ill probably have it forever.

ok so! the husk of my original klunker has been sitting behind my garage for 6 years! time to do it - chrome shops are closed so.. lets paint it

first off, stripping the thing was a nightmare, there was 4 layers of old paint on this thing - paint stripper, wire brushes and wheels on drills, sand paper, evaporust... stripping just the frame took me about a day and a half!

then primed

ok, so now what paint do I have? Oh - buick and cadillac engine enamel!

first the buick - I couldn't contain myself after I painted it, so I put it all back together and mocked it up - - The bars and stem I got at a bike shop going out of business sale - the bars alone are like 70 bucks, I got both for 20!

I cleaned up the girvin fork, lubed it up and tightened down the spring.. put these cool street tires in cream on it - and of course my brooks grips and saddle which were a gift from the wife!

cool, so the chain guard is era correct aftermarket I like it - the chain that was on it was rusted and stuck, I have it soaking it the evaporust right now, then it moves to a wd40 bath, then motor oil bath - we clean that up and put dry motorcycle chain lube on it, shockingly I still have a can of that from my days with old mc's

So Ive been staring at it and it just looked cheap to me the single color just wasn't going to do it - so i broke out the masking tape and really really took my time with it:

haven't got any good glamour shots of it, but I started putting it back together today

So tomorrow I'll finalize the tank and get it in to primer and probably start laying out my design for the paint - I'm also scouring ebay for some fenders.. In the meantime, fueled by my success in creating a nice bike, I decided to wheel out this beast

oh boy.. this one is pretty complete but there's so much more to it than my slick 37 - this is actually a 39 Mercury Pacemaker - which was debuted and dedicated to the 1939 Worlds fair

anyway, this is missing a few things, but noting detrimental to me beginning a rattle can restoration of this thing. The head shroud, tank and fender ornament are all reproductions of the orignal, the tank is fiberglass and the other parts are plastic, so me stripping this bike to bare metal, priming and painting it do not detract from its value, it needs a lot of work, but my plan is to move slowly, one part at a time from start to finish, as in, pull the fork, strip, repair paint, fender, strip repair paint... and on and on and on.. I'm working up a color scheme right now, but im leaning towards 1949-1960 Cadillac engine enamel blue, with off white accents with a few splashes of red.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed reading my ramblings about bikes!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
TIL that a staple of my childhood that I took for granted and only as local is in fact "Coast-to-Coast."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_John%27s

Boris the Sprinkler - West of the East
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jKJBlA0yM

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

extreme_accordion posted:

TIL that a staple of my childhood that I took for granted and only as local is in fact "Coast-to-Coast."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_John%27s

Boris the Sprinkler - West of the East
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jKJBlA0yM

How is it? Apparently your chili john's tried to sue our chili john's - so our chili johns had to add "of california" on the back..

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Greasy spoon at it's finest. Nothing I'd say out of this world gotta have it all the time - but if you know what you are in for, then you know what you are after when you walk in that door.

Chili John's - depends on the 'heat' level you get it at.
As the 'heat' goes up you get darker ground beef = more grease and chili powder thrown at it.
You can get it with or without spaghetti noodles.

Is yours like this?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sounds exactly like it.

I like spicy food, and it’s on of the few places I’ve been to that can actually hit me hard enough to slow me down.

edit: They also have rice as an option for underpinning.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 19, 2020

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
cool post — I worked in shops for years, haven’t seen a Girvin Proflex fork since... 1996? that headset setup seems a bit off; is it frankensteined from the 1” cups that were already in the frame? I think I have the original manual for that fork filed away if you want a copy, iirc the top spacing has to be very specific for the shock to behave proper. how does it ride with the slacker head tube of that bike? I think one of my favorite riding characteristics of klunkers, or just old bikes in general, is the slack-rear end head tubes and tons of fork trail. they’re just so sleepy while still being carve-y. I think my ‘55 DL-1 is something crazy like 67°. it rides the way old cars drive.

the rest of those bikes are amazing, great collection. I’ll have to snap some pics of mine someday, I have a few weird things you might be interested in... though I mostly geek out on the 1930s -> post-war British stuff personally. just picked up this ‘61 Raleigh Supurbe a few weeks ago to add to the fleet, it has every option you could get at the time, like a weird locking fork crown

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

snugglz posted:

cool post — I worked in shops for years, haven’t seen a Girvin Proflex fork since... 1996? that headset setup seems a bit off; is it frankensteined from the 1” cups that were already in the frame? I think I have the original manual for that fork filed away if you want a copy, iirc the top spacing has to be very specific for the shock to behave proper. how does it ride with the slacker head tube of that bike? I think one of my favorite riding characteristics of klunkers, or just old bikes in general, is the slack-rear end head tubes and tons of fork trail. they’re just so sleepy while still being carve-y. I think my ‘55 DL-1 is something crazy like 67°. it rides the way old cars drive.

the rest of those bikes are amazing, great collection. I’ll have to snap some pics of mine someday, I have a few weird things you might be interested in... though I mostly geek out on the 1930s -> post-war British stuff personally. just picked up this ‘61 Raleigh Supurbe a few weeks ago to add to the fleet, it has every option you could get at the time, like a weird locking fork crown

Good eye on that fork - yes, its completely jerry rigged in there, the girvin headtube was much taller so I had to put a spacer between the race and stem and im using the og 30s cups. - I'd love to see some original setup info on it. all the bushings on this thing are... 20+ years old so they don't do much I have the thing super tight and im seeing maybe in inch of travel.. When I had the original 30's fork on this thing it was pretty sketchy even with some tall bmx style bars, it was like riding a rickety rollercoaster with no brakes.

the fun thing about putting this fork on this bike, is that it unlocked some weird super responsive geometry - it also tracks dead straight, if you want to turn, you have to really turn the bars. the first time i rode it around the neighborhood after the repaint was no hands most of the way. these wacky bars really make things fun too.

as far as the british stuff, ive never quite got in to it, the closest I got was almost buying a BSA paratrooper bike, but we just couldn't get close enough on price! that thing is super clean tho, i love the chain guards!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Sooooo...

my life has changed.. a lot..

Apr 14 - baby lobsterboyx joined us! it was a pretty easy birth process, no issues - except for being kept in solitary confinement for 78 hours! Thankfully we made it thru and are home and happy after a brief stay at the inlaws place. So he just hit 2 months, and I can say you really don't know what love is until you meet your child. I'd really love to sleep a bit more.... but I'm hopeful that will come.

This kid is going to grow up pretty weird, but really love showing him all kinds of weird stuff.

My high jinks have been a bit curtailed, but not entirely.

If some of you will remember the original topic of this thread, I picked up a belly tank to build a car out of, and brought it home on top of my 48 buick.

well......

this thing popped up on offerup...

this was the only photo of it and it was listed as "yard art" - which is a common search I like to use, often times, non car people will see perfectly usable hot rod stuff as nothing more than yard art - typically early ford type stuff, but I've come across some pretty cool parts this way..

I talked to the seller who was a woman who had inherited her fathers house along with his junk collection- when I asked her the dimensions she said it was 16' long, 3' wide and the fins were 6' wide and it was made of steel - alright lady.... so when I get there, it was closer to 15' long, 28" wide and the fins were just a bit over 36" and of course it was made of aluminum.

It took me all of 10 minutes to confirm what it was from:

None other than the Douglas Skyraider - the a10 warthog before jets were invented.

It would be a very very long type to tell you about the house it was at, but it was an indoor outdoor compound completely overrun by plants, plumbing scrap and other misc items - nothing really my speed except for this, and a 1940s butchers band saw, which a friend of mine purchased.

I struck a deal for the grand total of $200 and a brigade of family members helped me bring it out and get it strapped to the top of my car.

so the original plan was to stand it straight up in the corner of the back yard, paint it black and white like the saturn v and pop a hole in the side of it and build a slide thru it for the kiddo - upon further inspection of it, I do not actually want to cut it, and I dont really want to paint it either, so its going to become an ACME rocket - I got a piece of stage truss from a friend in the industry and this is now the plan:

still doing some social distance cruise nights:

pulling a few cool antiques:

and still working on getting the 48 back on the road:

I finally cleaned the whitewalls on the wagon:

and of course I'm still loving my daily:

so thats the update - just want to keep things out of the archives!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Congratulations to you and your newly expanded family! He looks exceedingly curious about the world already :3:

Can't you just keep it like this? :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You nailed it in the photos of Wile E. Coyotes car. I would have been tempted to leave it for a day, then a week, turns into two weeks and then indefinitely until I got complaints.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Definitely just keep the rocket on top of the car all the time

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Definitely just keep the rocket on top of the car all the time

Needs a stuffed doll in a flight suit holding a cowboy hat in one hand riding the top of it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I would totally keep it on there, except the roof rack is not up for the job, it was a bit of a nail biter bringing it home - my drip rails are so rusty, and that roof rack so flimsy - I did leave it on there for a few days and parked it in front of a nasty neighbors house, but I was nervous about someone taking it.. I thought about making a beefier roof rack and leaving it up there for car shows... but... there... are... no.... car... shows :(

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
huzzah! I finished the neverending install of the elusive dual carb setup!

enhance

enhance

enhance!

so it didn't make that "omg its soooo fast" feeling, but it did really make the throttle more snappy, and it did definitely give it a bit more power - by snappy, i mean snappy for a 4' long inline engine, and by more power I mean its able to move a 6k lb livingroom on wheels down the road at a somewhat modern speed. where things really got interesting was on the highway, when you think of a 40s car you don't really think about freeways, but I really am shocked at how great the car is - now, my 1954 wagon, which is 6 years newer than this boat is capable of 100 mph, it stops well and generally feels more like a normalish car, the 48 for years has felt like a dog, if you were in a hurry and you were behind me leaving a stoplight you'd be angry. Now, it feels like it can get out of its way a bit better-

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

huzzah! I finished the neverending install of the elusive dual carb setup!

enhance

enhance

enhance!

so it didn't make that "omg its soooo fast" feeling, but it did really make the throttle more snappy, and it did definitely give it a bit more power - by snappy, i mean snappy for a 4' long inline engine, and by more power I mean its able to move a 6k lb livingroom on wheels down the road at a somewhat modern speed. where things really got interesting was on the highway, when you think of a 40s car you don't really think about freeways, but I really am shocked at how great the car is - now, my 1954 wagon, which is 6 years newer than this boat is capable of 100 mph, it stops well and generally feels more like a normalish car, the 48 for years has felt like a dog, if you were in a hurry and you were behind me leaving a stoplight you'd be angry. Now, it feels like it can get out of its way a bit better-

This owns super fuckin' hard. Those aircleaner housings are classy as hell, too.

I kinda figured a straight eight would have all the torque in the world, and just run out of steam quick because that long crank wouldn't want to spin at any kind of speed, but it sounds like I was mistaken. I'm glad it's got some go now, are you going to drive it more?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Looks awesome! What a great piece.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Lobsterboy's posts over the years are why I keep a bit of an ear to the ground for a Buick of this era. Even unrestored they drip class.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Frickin' sweet!

Digging on the fuel filter.

Was hooking up & synching the linkages straightforward?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Frickin' sweet!

Digging on the fuel filter.

Was hooking up & synching the linkages straightforward?

Well... kinda not really - I built everything on the bench, I used old linkage parts I got from my friend who has a giant hoard of old parts, I got a handful of ends, rods and other little crap and cobbled something together. so both of the carbs would be together - the only variable was the actual throttle linkage orignal to the car, which I couldn't really mock up on the bench - so once everything got snugged up I had to make a few hardware store trips to make it happen. the link between the carbs is adjustable and bullet proof, the link from the carbs to the car is a bit janky, but I found an old crappy flathead screwdriver to keep in the glove box from now on - once that got all hooked up I fired it over and it just kinda worked - got a uni-sync carb tool, put them on the carbs and more or less they were already... sunk?

Raluek posted:

This owns super fuckin' hard. Those aircleaner housings are classy as hell, too.

I kinda figured a straight eight would have all the torque in the world, and just run out of steam quick because that long crank wouldn't want to spin at any kind of speed, but it sounds like I was mistaken. I'm glad it's got some go now, are you going to drive it more?

I am driving it way more, its been down for so long, I had got used to driving the 54 wagon everywhere -

Captain McAllister posted:

Lobsterboy's posts over the years are why I keep a bit of an ear to the ground for a Buick of this era. Even unrestored they drip class.

Best cars ever made! - pass it by me first if you find one! I'm trying to figure out if I'll ever work again.. if I do, then I have another one I'm going to buy... that ive already started...pay...ing.... forrrrrr?

always be closing posted:

Looks awesome! What a great piece.

youre telling me, I knew about these intakes for a long time - Eddie Edmunds made intakes and other speed stuff for just about every car, according to my 90 y/o friend, the Edmunds catalogs were big and had a lot of other stuff not just his own parts. it was a local LA brand as well, so that makes it even cooler to me. When I first got in to the straight 8 buicks, these kind of speed parts were totally unobtainable - when they came up on ebay they'd go for thousands with carbs and linkage... bare they were 1000 which is more than I'm willing to spend on hokey poo poo like this.

last august this particular manifold came up with a buy it now of 600 - i snapped it up a few minutes after he posted it.

for those of you wondering the air cleaners are repops of the original ones

https://www.obrientruckers.com/air-cleaner-2bbl-edmunds-or-smooth-oval.html

same place has these drool worthy aircleaners for the back draft carbs... SWOON!

I'd love a setup like this for my wagon...

the carbs are Rochester "Turtlebacks"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1950-...zoAAOSwfGxe1iHO

speaking of wagon, It's getting some much needed love. the carbs been acting up and I was ready to go ahead and pull it off for a rebuild and hey, the loving thing was just loose! pretty amazing that its been running with the bolts of the carb loose for... probably years...

I also got these classy lassies in the mail today...

I like the big aluminum ones more, but now that I've popped my cherry on cars with multiple carbs...

this bucket may be next...

and these would look super bad sticking off the side of a model a block..

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 3, 2020

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
roof rack'n

so I have these vintage "aloha" surfboard racks - I bought these from an old surf shop that was going out of business. they were new in the box from the 60s and the guy was asking 20 bucks for them - I bought 2 of them and brought them home and threw one set on my cadillac - then I realized that they are actually worth some... big... money...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALOHA-SURF...=p2047675.l2557

so I sold my other set and sat around like a cut-large - they've got some good use thru the years as evident from my proclivity for transporting vintage military aircraft auxiliary fuel tanks...

so I've always wanted something like this:

or

or

so I want to build something that mimics that... enter...

huzzah, the quick-n-easy racks!

seen in the background with the wood racks

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...7YG4j0TZ2LDFP2H

good... good... so I'm going to try and build something wacky.. if I ever have time again! - a friend of mine was selling these for extremely cheap!

also been having fun tuning this big ol b...

and cleaning the garage finding some cool stuff i forgot I had..

more soon!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would not have guessed vintage surfboard racks would be worth that much, go figure

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This topic is fantastic, I'm glad Lobsterboy continues to live his best 1950's life.

That said, Mods, please remote the "it" from the title, it drives me nuts every time I see it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I would not have guessed vintage surfboard racks would be worth that much, go figure

I didn't either!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This topic is fantastic, I'm glad Lobsterboy continues to live his best 1950's life.

That said, Mods, please remote the "it" from the title, it drives me nuts every time I see it.

never noticed it but I agree!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:science:

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Not sure if this would be up your alley, but I feel like it might be.
One of my mom's friends has a hobby of restoring Packard's (among other cars and also vintage John Deere tractors).
I'll preface these with the statement that I know almost nothing about the cars he has.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'd like to live there.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Lobby, I'm about to buy a house with a 4 car garage, suitable to actually have an extra project car and I've always wanted old metal. I know you can't tell me what I'll fall in love with, but is there anything you would say, even if it's the most gorgeous car I've ever seen, it's not worth touching with a 10 ft pole. Too Expensive to upkeep, terrible owner base, impossible to find parts/information? I'm planning on using this time to learn how to weld and become a bit more handy. I'll only get more time as my kiddos get older, so I'm looking for something super long term, but i don't want to fall in love with something ultimately more trouble than it is worth.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Not the lobster, but some of this stuff can be very rare, with no aftermarket. If you're just dipping in, you might wanna look towards some of the more popular platforms. 49-54 Chevy cars and trucks have tons of support. 47+ ford trucks, 49-51"shoebox" Ford cars are another great choice. All have somewhat modern steering and suspension designs so you can run the og stuff.

Once you start going to cruise nights and shows and start down the Instagram and Facebook group rabbit holes, you develop a taste and branch out. In my experience.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

TheFonz posted:

Lobby, I'm about to buy a house with a 4 car garage, suitable to actually have an extra project car and I've always wanted old metal. I know you can't tell me what I'll fall in love with, but is there anything you would say, even if it's the most gorgeous car I've ever seen, it's not worth touching with a 10 ft pole. Too Expensive to upkeep, terrible owner base, impossible to find parts/information? I'm planning on using this time to learn how to weld and become a bit more handy. I'll only get more time as my kiddos get older, so I'm looking for something super long term, but i don't want to fall in love with something ultimately more trouble than it is worth.

Tough one!

So I can't tell you what NOT to look at, but I can tell you about stuff that might be easier than others...

first off the easiest cars to restore and upkeep are the ones where you can open a catalog and order just about anything you need. Check out OPG group, Danchuck, Mac and Snyder auto parts, Kanter and others.

my ford model a has been such an eye opener to me, I get a catalog every few months and I can literally order anything... anything... for the car. when I got the car I went a bit ham on it and ordered 2000 bucks worth of parts for the model a, your money goes a long way when it comes to stuff like this, I got 3 great big boxes and spent days putting on my new parts. This is the simple fun of having an old car.

the cars that have the most stuff available:

early ford, model t and model a
chevy - 36-70 any
ford - 35-70 any
any pickup truck
any muscle - mopar, GM, ford
tri five chevy
and more that im probably missing

personally I'm not a fan of the very popular stuff like this, except of course the model a stuff.

So whats left? well, everything else. The long story short on this is that if you like it, there's probably someone that also loves it and has any part you could need. also groups on fb are becoming the go-to when searching for parts.

TLDR - stick to chevy and ford if you want ease, but dont let that limit your choice when it comes to an old car. Half the fun of it for me is the hunt!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Thanks boys- The more I think about it and with what you have said I think I'm going to start looking at older trucks. <3

Edit: Oh gently caress. Congrats on the cute rear end baby!

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 16, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TheFonz posted:

Thanks boys- The more I think about it and with what you have said I think I'm going to start looking at older trucks. <3

:getin:

The only problem with old trucks is that they've been popular enough for long enough that finding a reasonably priced one can be hard. It's not 20 years ago when you could pick up a squarebody as a much cheaper way to have a big GM V8 up front and smoking tires out back.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

:getin:

The only problem with old trucks is that they've been popular enough for long enough that finding a reasonably priced one can be hard. It's not 20 years ago when you could pick up a squarebody as a much cheaper way to have a big GM V8 up front and smoking tires out back.

square bodies are out of control! even smoggers!

yes... trucks are out of control right now - pretty much whats available is long beds. I remember as a kid seeing gardeners driving old trucks because they were so undesirable. now a days when I see an old truck actually working I get all warm and fuzzy. I recall one appliance repair man that drove a 57 Cameo that he bought new in 57, it was such a timewarp to see him driving around in that.

now a days, its like this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1321458871578661/

something like this when I was in my teens and 20s would have been 800-1000 bucks max.

this (and a few others from this era) are the only trucks I've ever wanted:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TheFonz posted:

Edit: Oh gently caress. Congrats on the cute rear end baby!

I can reccomend one to avoid as a first project.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
SOOO because I'm out of work and wondering what I'm going to do for money for the rest of my life, I decided to hang one of my signs I've been neglecting for a bit

This was an old sporting goods store in Burbank CA - I got it from an estate sale, strapped it to the top of my wagon and have been tripping over it for years. So I hung it up!

I also decided to round up all the extra stuff for my Cadillac and list it all! No more caddys for me..

So I'm getting that sellers itch so I decided to off some of my hand held vintage tool boxes.. .

I had a few more things to get rid of so I went over to my friends house...

and.... he made me a really amazing deal on this thing.. 53 buick roadmaster. I really really dont want this car, but the price he said made me salivate.. I havent told him yes or no, and I'm actively trying to find someone that would want this car just so I don't have to buy it. If I didn't have the other cars I did, I'd be all over this thing, this was top of the line, it has the very rare factory wire wheels, it runs, drives and stops perfectly, needs carpet and best of all it has the 322 nailhead v8 and not the I8 like mine - this car is capable of 100mph plus...

and he texts me every day making it that much harder to say no...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did you buy it? Hehe

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
no... ...... no..... NO.. but I want it.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
this is easily one of my fav threads in AI, love your posts

also I dug thru a bunch of boxes looking for that Girvin Profles manual for you but came up short... I did find a grainy one online tho, that does specify a 43mm gap for the spacer

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

snugglz posted:

this is easily one of my fav threads in AI, love your posts

also I dug thru a bunch of boxes looking for that Girvin Profles manual for you but came up short... I did find a grainy one online tho, that does specify a 43mm gap for the spacer

Thanks man! thats super cool.. so without breaking out my calipers, looks like I'm doing... ok... ish? really nice to have those torque specs tho-

I finally torqued up that bike and aired everything up. Gave it a ride around the block and .....Since I rode it as a coaster clunker I've gained some pounds, and added those wacky mustache bars so the bike was very, very unfamiliar and rather uncomfortable and I instantly bottomed out that girvin. I had some low rise bmx bars on it before which I loved, slight things like a handlebar switch really threw me. I dropped the seat a bit and it got a bit better but definitely not something I'd want to ride spirited, I guess its a weird cruiser now?

Speaking of cruiser.. I had to move a bunch of bikes to get at my house paint stash so I took that opportunity to get this guy up and riding again

This bike is completely original and kept indoors its whole life. I got it from a garage sale for a laughable sum, because of how it was stored, this thing rides like new and still wears its original paint, one or two pedals and you're down the block.

then theres this, the cadillac of bikes, the roadmaster luxury liner

this was given to me by my friend when he went in to the navy and I was supposed to give it back to him when he got out, well he got out and told me to keep the bike so its in my collection forever now. this is a 53 and its the only year for the mens bikes to be painted this green, making it really rare.

in the 80s and 90s there was a resurgence in bicycles, they reproduced this bike and sold them for astronomical amounts. there are several of these repop bikes out there, but by far this one is the best reproduction, made by the same company, same tooling, same quality. the ONLY give away to a repop is the coaster brake, and it takes a very keen eye to spot. the repop parts are absolutely interchangeable with the originals too which is cool.

heres a repop:

the repop is of the 48 model year, so my 53 has more bells and whistles and the cool crash bars.

more cleaning of the shop, I went thru more boxes that I havent been in in years and found my collection of 58 caddy V's

I had no idea I had collected this many of them - these typically sell for 80-100 each so, come up with da come up!

took the old roadmonster to a very weird, socially distant cars and not coffee

the starter promptly gave out on me and it overheated like a motherfucker - I'm about to give up and just take it to the shop to have them deal with it. Just when I think I've licked it, something else happens.. annoying!

in other randomly cool non vintage news, I bought a laser cutter!

and promptly made car club stuff

I also got these comically subtle stickers for my TOY-O-TA

also this doesn't look like much but this is much cleaner than this area has been in awhile.

as you can see this is where the belly tanks live.. and more bicycles... and rims and hubcaps....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
What kind of laser?