Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
CAD was $239 on the sheet I saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It might not end up being a huge problem once I get used to it, but the thing where the first 'rank' in a melee can be within 1 full inch (engagement range) and fight, but if they are more than 1/2 inch away, the second rank can't fight (can only fight if within 1/2 inch of a model within 1/2 an inch of an enemy) seems like a really inelegant way to do things. I understand the purpose, to tighten up the fights, but it feels awkward as a rule to me. Within an inch of someone within an inch is just more streamlined and easy. Though it practice it did lead to some annoying measurement stuff at times. However, accurately measuring not one but two half-inch measurements in a big grimey melee doesn't exactly seem easier to me. Time well tell. I guess it's also a nerf to 25mm bases.

e: with the new coherency rules which kinda enforces ranks, it's probably a little more of a nerf to 25mm even

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 2, 2020

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I guess it's also a nerf to 25mm bases.

25 bases are small enough that you could have 4 ranks all fight in melee and it seemed pretty silly. I think it's absolutely intended to stop people from abusing 25mm bases.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Maneck posted:

Don't remember if it's an explicit policy that GW keeps homeland prices cheaper than the rest of the world, but it seems like it's always been the case.

Yeah, weird shipping things isn't free.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

No word on a smaller box yet?

I would still like to see a smaller box with the core rules..

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Spanish Manlove posted:

Any news on the new paints aside from price?

One of them is supposedly a new gimmick paint of some sort meant for Necron green glowy stuff. Runelord looks to be reformulated as a Base paint so the rest will be to achieve that brassy look the new studio 'Crons have.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, weird shipping things isn't free.

It's way WAY more than shipping cost. It's like more than what it would cost if games workshop were shipping the boxes to their US stores one at a time with traditional post.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ropes4u posted:

No word on a smaller box yet?

I would still like to see a smaller box with the core rules..

I'm guessing they won't announce the "real" starter kit until everyone whose FOMO for Indomitus it could disrupt has already put their orders in.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

I'm guessing they won't announce the "real" starter kit until everyone whose FOMO for Indomitus it could disrupt has already put their orders in.

I suspect the other starter set contains some of the other new models like the Bike Chaplain and ATV, and will be this weekend's big reveal.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I am still waiting for some sister's stuff as well. Haven't been able to buy battle sister's for ages so I guess a box is coming?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MRLOLAST posted:

I am still waiting for some sister's stuff as well. Haven't been able to buy battle sister's for ages so I guess a box is coming?

I guess they would get a start collecting box at some point, but who knows when that is?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
been wanting a sisters troop box to make a kill team out of for ages and I don't think I've ever seen it in stock.

also the arkanaut ironclad which did go back in stock for like a week before selling out again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm still waiting for my Sslyth order I put down... like two months ago by this point. And that special Sisters character as well.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Considering they made it into the trailer I think it would be cool if the official 9th edition starter set was sisters + something. A nice little step for representation.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

GoLambo posted:

Considering they made it into the trailer I think it would be cool if the official 9th edition starter set was sisters + something. A nice little step for representation.

A sanctuary 101 rematch would be a rad boxed set imo

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

If any of you guys are into 3d printing your stuff and want a new terrain option, a buddy of mine just hit the button to go live on a new kickstarter for a modular terrain system he's been working on for years.

Looks like that, or with enough effort:

that.

Anyway, that's my post.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

If any of you guys are into 3d printing your stuff and want a new terrain option, a buddy of mine just hit the button to go live on a new kickstarter for a modular terrain system he's been working on for years.

Looks like that, or with enough effort:

that.

Anyway, that's my post.

Isnt' this basically Geo-Hex?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Similar, I guess, except that the hexes are not as small, not meant to be used as measurement themselves. It's kind of like terrain legos.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That's kinda cool but I imagine it's an absolute nightmare to actually rearrange that large table to be something else.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kitchner posted:

That's kinda cool but I imagine it's an absolute nightmare to actually rearrange that large table to be something else.

I’ve only personally played around with them on a smaller scale, so I can’t really say. They’re pretty good just for making regular old hills for your normal tables though. Long dormant goon Germ did a video comparing them to his previous attempts of slush casting large hill pieces. He does a lot more work with resin than I do though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0257IR2d_P4

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fix posted:

I’ve only personally played around with them on a smaller scale, so I can’t really say. They’re pretty good just for making regular old hills for your normal tables though. Long dormant goon Germ did a video comparing them to his previous attempts of slush casting large hill pieces. He does a lot more work with resin than I do though.

Your avatar is absolutely terrifying.

:stare:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I do what I can.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Trying to figure out a way to convert the three Dark Imperium Lieutenants I have is an utter pain because barely any of the regular marine bits I have are for the right sides. And I can never seem to find any Primaris bitz bags for sale either. :argh:
Pardon the random digression, just sorta annoyed at it after tinkering around with things again.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Cooked Auto posted:

Trying to figure out a way to convert the three Dark Imperium Lieutenants I have is an utter pain because barely any of the regular marine bits I have are for the right sides. And I can never seem to find any Primaris bitz bags for sale either. :argh:
Pardon the random digression, just sorta annoyed at it after tinkering around with things again.

Are you in the us/what bits do you want?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Fix posted:

I didn't even think about making regular hills with that. I only thought of the stupid amount of work it would take to make a full table and nope'd right out of the kickstarter. But in that video he makes this hill.

And that's cool as hell.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Maneck posted:

Don't remember if it's an explicit policy that GW keeps homeland prices cheaper than the rest of the world, but it seems like it's always been the case.

CAD prices are usually garbage, because the US has to be more expensive than the UK, and they make CAD prices more expensive than US to prevent reimportation from Canada. Not as bad as AUD though.

I think it's also partially because the UK is quite competitive when it comes to miniatures with lots of other systems running around, e.g. historical stuff from warlord.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Are you in the us/what bits do you want?

Sadly EU but thanks for the offer anyway. :shobon:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maneck posted:

CAD prices are usually garbage, because the US has to be more expensive than the UK, and they make CAD prices more expensive than US to prevent reimportation from Canada. Not as bad as AUD though.

It's explicit policy but not in that way, their financial statements claim it's a a business tactic to offset losses from a weakening pound.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Duct Tape posted:

I didn't even think about making regular hills with that. I only thought of the stupid amount of work it would take to make a full table and nope'd right out of the kickstarter. But in that video he makes this hill.

And that's cool as hell.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. A little bit of extra hobby time and this thing goes next level. I've done full tables in layered 2" pink foam with severe elevation gain and it's an exercise in self hate. Just gluing cheap prints together to get good rocky chunks on a table is pretty good with this stuff, even if you don't go whole hog on the joins like Jim there.

Either way, our FLGS is pretty flush now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I mean, we can't game there, but still.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Buying storm shield termies 4 ninth and gonna roll across the battle field

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Fix posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. A little bit of extra hobby time and this thing goes next level. I've done full tables in layered 2" pink foam with severe elevation gain and it's an exercise in self hate.

What do you mean by elevation gain in this context?

I'm making a board atm and finished the foam base of the first 2 sections yesterday. It's my first time doing it and tried to account for everything: leaving enough flat spots to balance models, matching the elevations between sections, and mirroring sides so they can be swapped around. Just curious if there's other tricks I'm missing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
When I was younger I sort of loved the idea of having a trench warfare board where its all dug into the foam like that etc.

Then as I played the hobby more I realised what I'd end up with is a board that can only be one thing played the same way over and over.

So now my desire was to have a board, a couple of different mats, and then buy a bunch of different styles of MDF scenery to mix it up.

Now the board size fits on a dining table, it may even become a reality even in my small flat.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yeah definitely this project is just wish fulfillment for my younger self. Carving terrain was probably my favourite part of the Hobby even though back then I had no one to play with, and no space or materials to make a full board.

I tried to mitigate the sameness by allowing the pieces to be swapped around. The next two pieces will be a river and the last two pieces will be a city outskirts. All the edges will be the same height so the sections can be swapped around within reason for a few different configurations, and I tried to leave enough space for scatter terrain too.

Over time I can see my group just using mats and scatter terrain way more, but at least I'll have the satisfaction of doing this!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
To be fair if I had a big house with tons of space I'd probably do something similar, I guess I've just come to accept I'm probably not going to be rich enough to have a massive house with a study and game room with storage for a load of gorgeous looking static boards or anything.

At best I'm hoping for a big dining table and room for a couple of boxes of stuff.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Kitchner posted:

To be fair if I had a big house with tons of space I'd probably do something similar, I guess I've just come to accept I'm probably not going to be rich enough to have a massive house with a study and game room with storage for a load of gorgeous looking static boards or anything.

gently caress man me neither. Our FLGS owner provisionally agreed we could leave this at his shop once its done, if that changes it'll just get stacked under my bed or something.

Actually as I typed this reply I realised the full board won't fit on my kitchen table where I took the picture and where we play when I host. Best well be able to do is 2 sections, 4'x4'. Still OK for a small game I guess.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I was thinking if having a thin metal sheet that I then cover with a thin game mat and then add magnets to the bottom of my terrain and models. I already put magnets on the bottom of my models since they are so much easier to paint and transport that way. Also easier for when I use movement trays as well.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Spergs are already trying to cheese in 2++ saves.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I guess they're trying to make up for not being able to get those 10 extra victory points for not having a battle ready army. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Floppychop posted:

Spergs are already trying to cheese in 2++ saves.

I mean that is how a 1+ save works RAW, we had a discussion in this thread about how it would be nice if terminators had a 1+ or 0+ save instead of an invulnerable save but it was pointed out as 8th Ed rules stand a 1+ save only fails an unmodified 1, even against a -10 AP weapon, because AP modifies the dice roll instead of the armour value, and the dice roll can never be modified below 1.