Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Mere sj irony. Does it describe him. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Rosey jim rem. Really makes you think.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My Jeri? Snore!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Jeremy's... iron?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is Ron Jeremy. His terrible secret was right under our noses this whole time!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Daikloktos posted:

I hope Jack's doing okay these days, I think about him sometimes

I follow him on Twitter...and Instagram he's hot, okay? sue me, and he seems pretty okay/stable. Even though they're both funny in the podcast, I always liked Jack more than Dan because it doesn't seem like I would want to punch him in the head after five minutes in the same room as him.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Did something happen? I listened to that show for a while but switched to Talking Simpsons

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Riptor posted:

Did something happen? I listened to that show for a while but switched to Talking Simpsons

I don't know if there was anything specific, he just seemed like one of those "ha ha ha, I'm super depressed, isn't that hilarious? isn't it funny that I wish I was dead? :lol:" people.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Communist Walrus posted:

Is Ron Jeremy. His terrible secret was right under our noses this whole time!

:aaa:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is the bit with the MAD Magazine guys sitting around a table -

"I know, why don't we just call it Everybody Hates Raymond?"
(everyone laughs)
"It took us all night but it was worth it."

- in the boy band episode or the New York episode? Because I liked that bit.

it was the boy band episode

the other joke i like:

*building gets destroyed*
*mad tv writers come out of the rubble*
"is everyone okay?"
"yeah i'm fine"
"i actually feel even better"

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Whenever I think back on when The Simpsons changed for me, for some reason I usually think of the screamapillar episode first. There have almost certainly been lower points, possibly even in various classic episodes, but man that one stands out as especially terrible to me. Nonsensical plot, awful jokes, a pointless celebrity guest star, all to build up to an extremely lazy comment on reality TV that even at the time seemed hackneyed.

The one where I finally noticed it was really going downhill was one where Homer lost his license for driving with a ton of electronic crap plugged into his cigarette lighter. He then starts walking everywhere he goes, forcing Marge to run all of the errands. She then subconsciously tries to kill him with her car, and all is forgiven in the third act when Homer gets Jackson Browne to sing for her. It had everything, from dated takes on dated subjects, to nonsensically-paced three-act plots.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Plan Z posted:

The one where I finally noticed it was really going downhill was one where Homer lost his license for driving with a ton of electronic crap plugged into his cigarette lighter. He then starts walking everywhere he goes, forcing Marge to run all of the errands. She then subconsciously tries to kill him with her car, and all is forgiven in the third act when Homer gets Jackson Browne to sing for her. It had everything, from dated takes on dated subjects, to nonsensically-paced three-act plots.

I just looked this episode up and remembered that it was the one where my own avatar master Steve Buscemi shows up for literally a single gag, possibly in the middle of a bad musical number? I remember at the time that was singled out as being perhaps the worst use of a guest star in the history of the show.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember at the time that was singled out as being perhaps the worst use of a guest star in the history of the show.

Oh how innocent we were

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst guest star (out of episodes I've seen) is Jack White because it is literally just the show copying one of his music videos and Bart going "Wow, Jack White!" It was in the episode where Bart somehow gets really good at drumming and Lisa becomes so jealous that she horribly injures him so he can't play drums any more.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That episode had the gag where Bart imagines the drums as Homer's face. And that still makes me smile when I think of it. But the rest was pretty bad from what I can remember of it. I think it has one of the like, 4 episodes they have people getting high in the Simposon attic.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The worst guest star (out of episodes I've seen) is Jack White because it is literally just the show copying one of his music videos and Bart going "Wow, Jack White!" It was in the episode where Bart somehow gets really good at drumming and Lisa becomes so jealous that she horribly injures him so he can't play drums any more.

I remember watching that one when it was new. I did like one joke in that episode and still think of it whenever I hear The Hardest Button To Button. It's at 1:00 in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HdwiESYJs

Althought on rewatch, it's fun how they don't expect you to know why the bridge is out, so they put a huge BRIDGE OUT sign right before the gag. So now I enjoy the joke less having rewatched and better remembering it!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Also drags after the punchline. So much modern simpsons would be better if they tightened up the pacing and were willing to write more jokes to replace the time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Daikloktos posted:

Also drags after the punchline. So much modern simpsons would be better if they tightened up the pacing and were willing to write more jokes to replace the time

*looks at watch*

I got a 3:15 tee time though

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

IUG posted:

I remember watching that one when it was new. I did like one joke in that episode and still think of it whenever I hear The Hardest Button To Button. It's at 1:00 in the video:

Althought on rewatch, it's fun how they don't expect you to know why the bridge is out, so they put a huge BRIDGE OUT sign right before the gag. So now I enjoy the joke less having rewatched and better remembering it!

The comments are pretty drat positive. Ugh.

I was going to ask how long after the song did this episode even air, but I checked myself and it looks like 3 years.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Having them land in a giant heap of trash is actually a pretty funny joke but the pacing is so bad and the setup is so long that it just feels weird by that point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

muscles like this! posted:

It's amazing how big a piece of poo poo lisa is tbh

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's an accident; her jealousy gets her so maudlin that she starts adopting stray animals and Bart is mauled by a tiger she took in.

(not a joke)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tenebrais posted:

It's an accident; her jealousy gets her so maudlin that she starts adopting stray animals and Bart is mauled by a tiger she took in.

(not a joke)

You mean it was just a stupid rock?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This has probably been asked a million times before now, but since I stopped watching properly around season 16-17, who are now considered to be the worst guest stars ever on the show? I know that the Lady Gaga episode is infamous for basically just being a puff piece disguised as a Simpsons episode (as is the Elon Musk episode?), but who are some others? I guess this could include guests who were just used badly, and guests who are/were just flat-out bad people (Mel Gibson, Ted Nugent, MJ, etc).

Looking back, what turned me most off the show was the increase in random nonsense plots and wacky jokes that never land (despite the excessive amount of effort spent to get them there), but as a teenager one of the things that made the newer episodes look so much worse was how each one seemed to have at least one token guest star in it, usually voicing themselves and not doing anything remotely funny or relevant.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Milo and POTUS posted:

In the past few seasons they've been exploring the idea that Marge doesn't really like her

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Julian Assange

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Elon Musk's was really awful. The episode sucked up to him really hard. His voice acting is awful, and he has probably at least half of the speaking lines.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

IUG posted:

at least the show was still animated at this point

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Data Graham posted:

Julian Assange

Oh God, they actually had him on? :cripes:

Is this what we call "the Tony Blair tier" of bad Simpsons guests?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnFfO32Q1I

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It stinks.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just looked this episode up and remembered that it was the one where my own avatar master Steve Buscemi shows up for literally a single gag, possibly in the middle of a bad musical number? I remember at the time that was singled out as being perhaps the worst use of a guest star in the history of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF4NsTYpbek

hi Homer I'm actor Steve Buscemi

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

I actually think this episode was a turning point for me too, and this song is a big reason why. It was almost jarring for kid-me to hear such dogshit when this was the same show that gave us tunes like Who Needs the Kwik-E-Mart?, We Put the Spring in Springfield, I'm Checkin' In, and the Planet of the Apes musical.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 3, 2020

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Daikloktos posted:

In the past few seasons they've been exploring the idea that Marge doesn't really like her

I’m curious how they’ve done this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Look at that ratio

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Goddamn that's painfully bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

James Woods is a piece of poo poo but he’s still one of my favorite guests on the show.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Plan Z posted:

Elon Musk's was really awful. The episode sucked up to him really hard. His voice acting is awful, and he has probably at least half of the speaking lines.

The sad thing is this is typical of many celebrity guest these days. Witness Rush Limbaugh on Family Guy for another example. The show really could have righteously shamed the guy, and instead the political posturing panders to him.

Gone are the days when celebrities were unsure about cartoon cameos, when they did it under assumed names if at all. The Simpsons helped put an end to those days too, by giving such celebrities fun or inspirational characters to voice whether it was extended roles like they gave to Dustin Hoffman & Michael Jackson or one-off gags like they gave to Tito Puente & Joe Namath. It pains me to see them making such roles more about the quality of celebrity than the material.

And yet the show must go on.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tito Puente’s slanderous mambo slaps hard.

“Adios, viejo!” *does backflip*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Elon's appearance on Rick & Morty is godawful. they rag on him a little, but his line delivery is worse than amateurish.

we talked about it a few times in the thread... it's not that previous celebrity cameos weren't sometimes shoehorned in, but even when they were, it was generally funny.

even here:

his line delivery loving kills me.

I think it's just another sign of the current lazy writing rather than a change in practice, but it stands out now that it's more of a cheesy sitcom cameo ratings grab than an excuse to do something hilarious