Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Snipers plan is "do thing you don't know how to do"

Might as well vote to make a space ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Feel like I'm losing my mind. I don't mean to sound antagonistic, nothing wrong with voting for a plan that's just 'make good weapon', but that's literally all that plan is. There's nothing to 'plan sniperworeconverse' :psyduck:

It's just 'make a weapon that will interfere with magic revival powers'. Thing is (A) that's already the aim of every weapon in the sense that obviously we'd like any weapon we make to kill things as completely as possible, that's the challenge of making weapons and so we add nothing by just deciding to 'make the platonic ideal of weapon'; that's already our end goal implicitly. (B) it's such a ludicrously lofty goal we might as well just vote 'learn to make an arrow of Esau'. That's not an option right now, we can't just get to end game content by voting 'get to end game content', that's an empty vote.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

What if somebody went all Sniper and broke death, which is why things are hosed up when people die.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Theglavwen posted:

Feel like I'm losing my mind. I don't mean to sound antagonistic, nothing wrong with voting for a plan that's just 'make good weapon', but that's literally all that plan is. There's nothing to 'plan sniperworeconverse' :psyduck:

You are not supposed to GET plan Sniper, you are supposed to FEEL it. Losing your mind is the first step towards feeling it, you are on the corerct path.

TheCog posted:

Imagine i quoted the posts where we develop ships and then a few other posts where we talk about the wind, and I vote for enkidel to develop ships that travel through the rivers of air, i.e. wind.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Theglavwen posted:

It's just 'make a weapon that will interfere with magic revival powers'. Thing is (A) that's already the aim of every weapon in the sense that obviously we'd like any weapon we make to kill things as completely as possible, that's the challenge of making weapons and so we add nothing by just deciding to 'make the platonic ideal of weapon'; that's already our end goal implicitly. (B) it's such a ludicrously lofty goal we might as well just vote 'learn to make an arrow of Esau'. That's not an option right now, we can't just get to end game content by voting 'get to end game content', that's an empty vote.

Good thinking, voting for plan theglavwen, plan make an arrow of Esau

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Diogines posted:

You do not know how to make one like that. You were drat sure that you did not know how to make an Eagle Arrow, but Every-Strike said you did. Every-Strike will not actually design things for you.

Diogines posted:

Every-Strike won't help you design things and you don't know how.

Okay, so its pretty clear Everystrike won't help us design things, but...

Diogines posted:

B. I want to make the best weapon that Every-Strike thinks I am capable of making for my personal use and which fits my skill set, which will probably be some kind of club. It took a while for Every-Strike to tell me what that was, it insisted it had to work with me for a while first to find out what that would be.

Diog's lettered option sure sounds like he's designing us a weapon. What's the distinction here?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

CloFan posted:

We need to throw him in the lake

Stick a 'Lake Gurtrude' sign near Zepath and start digging a really big hole.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cornuto posted:

Okay, so its pretty clear Everystrike won't help us design things, but...

Diog's lettered option sure sounds like he's designing us a weapon. What's the distinction here?

It's guiding us towards designing a weapon. We do the work and it assists, rather than just giving us the blueprints. That's my interpretation anyway.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

A group of people spending a limited budget of Enkidet time on something complicated never goes well. You don't have exact values on how long things will take to make and trying to optimize your time to get the most Smith stuff you want made would work on your own, but as a group it would be an unworkable mess. You, Enkidel also don't know with confidence how long most of these will take. We also don't know exactly how long the time allocated will be, though it is looking like it will probably be 12 to 13 years. In light of your new Smithly revelations, question 3, how to spend your Smithly efforts is removed, now replaced by question 7.

7. How do you want to spend your time in your efforts at your forge?

Please, please make sure to label your responses as being for question 7 for the sake of our vote counters, thank you.

You get six points. Allocate them between whichever projects you want. The more points allocated, the higher it will go on the list and we will roughly work our way down from top to bottom, though the list may be adjusted a bit based on efficiency and the resources available. Options which are very similar might be counted together. Depending on your enthusiasm, multiples of an item might be made.

A. I have spent a lot of time at the forge in the past doing “experimental” work, trying to improve the design of my work and tools, seeking new alloys and new techniques and seeking new smithing knowledge not known to the men of Zepath. Sometimes I spent years and got nothing from it. At other times I designed superior forging techniques or discovered coins. I spent my time on this.

B. I want to spend my time honing my skills as a smith. I am not trying to create masterwork items per say, nor am I trying to unlock new smithing secrets, I spend my time trying to become a better smith even if it does not produce any actually useful items, with Every-Strike guiding my efforts, though some usefut items will probably be produced.

C. Lefkandi and Adina designed the River Rock Crusher together and when I asked Lefkandi if he had an idea for a better weapon for me it was his suggestion that I create a Blooded Bronze telephone pole a giant sword which later evolved into the idea of Mercy. Lefkandi and some of the men in his workshop have a number of other ideas on things which he thinks may be useful, including a giant Slingapult design made entirely out of Blooded Bronze, which, if worked by several Blooded men could throw a giant rock past the horizon, or so he claims. Lefkandi has an entire building full of designs for failed or abandoned projects. Many of Lefkandis ideas, ones he has never tested, involve trying to solve design problems by… brute forcing them with Blooded Bronze. Most of them probably won’t work. But some might. The River Rock Crusher did. Mercy did. I devote my forge-time towards helping Lefkandi with his many ideas. I focus on those projects which he thinks will be beneficial to the prosperity of Kavodel.
D. C., but I focus on those projects which he thinks will be useful for the defense of Kavodel.
E. C., I want to make the biggest slingapult ever, capable of throwing rocks to the horizon.

F. I want to create a suit of Tudiya's-Uncle quality Blooded-Bronze armor for myself, including improvements to make it a better fit for me and my fighting style. How long this will take is a guess but you are guessing 15 to 25 years, quicker if you are able to obtain some very difficult to obtain materials. Start working on it.

G. An Eagle Arrow. You are not confident about this but it should take about six or seven years to make one. With Every-Strike's guidance this one should hit harder than the first. Also you were uh, supposed to get the eagles alive... then kill them as you work on the arrows. Apparently the still beating heart of a Roc will also speed things up considerably, though it needs to be uh, still beating by the time it gets into your workshop which does not leave a lot of options...

H. With your superior understanding of the crafting of Blooded Bronze and your newfound ability to make high quality Blooded Bronze, you have learned how to make a superior sort of Blooded Bronze arrow which WON’T use your blood and still hit with greater force, it’ll take you about two months to make each.
Hb. You have enough so long as you are careful but your stock of Blooded Bronze arrows is limited enough that you had to ration their use at Acco. Make lots of regular Blooded-Bronze arrows.

I. You have gained the knowledge necessary to create a spear capable of holding the Cephalot Claw. When testing it with Uriah, when he dropped it on a Blooded Bronze plate, it seemed to cause the plate to weaken and then crumble away. Perhaps worked into the edge of a spear and then lodged or snapped off into a large creature? Your father suggested that if it was affixed to a Blooded Bronze shaft of the high enough quality it might be possible to use it, Uriah was certain he could only activate the claw when he was in direct contact with it. When you ask Every-Strike if this would work he informed you that “Yes it would, but it will need to be very pure, or else the claw will break the shaft before lodging inside of some Detestable Thing!” Every-Strike will instruct you on how to make one if you wish it, it will require at least two or three years to make one, maybe four, many ceremonies and rituals and great care will be needed to make it. You know that Every-Strike will not design things for you, but help you make your designs, if it judges you able to do so. Luckily, the actual design is relatively simple, but it is still a big project to make that much high quality Blooded-Bronze.

J. I make a weapon for my personal use, a longer, heavier club. It will be even more devastating than my behemoth bone club but slower and be harder to parry with. What will the name of the club be?

K. A great sword of equal length won't hit harder than my club because at that level of force anything I hit with will be about as deadly, the fact that it is sharper is mostly trivial. But it is a moot point anyway because I couldn't make a greatsword as tough as my behemoth bone club, a weapon too sturdy for me to break. Well... I could now? With my ability to make high quality Blooded-Bronze Every-Strike thinks I could make a greatsword of roughly the same length as my club which I wouldn't break. That it would be very, very sharp is of no real consequence, it may as well be blunt but because it is lighter it would be easier to block and parry with. I am guessing it'll take about ten years to make. What will the name of the sword be?

L. Create vast amounts of low quality Blooded-Bronze equipment for the common fighting men of Kavodel.

M. Create vast amounts of low quality Blooded-Bronze equipment for the Tower Guard, who are either outfitted with Bnaimokt metal or actual bronze, with some fee of them having low quality Blooded-Bronze.

N. Create vast amounts of low quality Blooded-Bronze equipment for the House Men of Kavodel. Most have bronze armor, some have Blooded Bronze but not a lot.

O. Create vast amounts of low quality Blooded-Bronze equipment for the Balls of Labaras. Many of them have such, and a Blooded Bronze sword and spear tip of even the lowest quality almost all of them have. The Balls are the best armed group in Kavodel by far, many already have gear of low to medium quality Blooded-Bronze but many do not, so this would still be an upgrade from their expensive bronze armor

P. Create vast amounts of low quality Blooded-Bronze equipment for Awan, King of Dor to help bolster the strength of his soldiers. This would buy you tremendous good will in Dor and make any attempts to influence Awan or his people even easier. Your father does not generally care how you spend your time or money so long as you handle those requests he has, but the creation of Blooded Bronze on such a scale for foreigners when your own people could use them probably won't be looked upon favorably when your own people could use them. The Blooded Elite of Zepath will despise such a thing. Blooded Bronze Smiths are akin to a military resource, spending their efforts on foreigners wont be looked on favorably.

Q. Create vast amounts of low quality Blooded-Bronze equipment for Khabba, King of Acco to help bolster the strength of his soldiers. This move might heal the rift between the two of you, for it is a gift of tremendous scale. It will aid in any efforts to sway Khabba or his people. Your father and the Blooded Elite would probably see this as slightly worse than helping Awan, as Awan is seen in Zepath as being more pious than Khabba.

R. Create vast amounts of low quality Blooded-Bronze equipment for... the House of El. Give it to the priesthood, to use as they deem fit, gaining you more esteem from the priests.

S. Create vasts amount of low quality Blooded-Bronze and sell it. Use the resources to finance another large scale project, or just save the money.

L through S will also likely all teach you about making low quality Blooded-Bronze faster, though you should expect to learn much from whichever projects you decide on.

T. Contribute to the construction of the city wall by making superior tools, thus speeding up the effort.

U. Create better gear for my descendants. Most of them have pretty great armor, some quality of Blooded Bronze but the amount and quality varies wildly. Spreading my efforts between them, outfit them as best I can.

W. I want to send a live sea demon to be sacrificed at the House of El. This is a completely ludicrous proposition which in the past would have only been the deranged fantasy of a madman, with the resources and men I now have it is only a mostly ludicrous one. Making a proper cage of Blooded Bronze would be expensive and time consuming and the guard needed to transport the thing would without a doubt be the fiercest force Kavodel has sent out in my lifetime, besides perhaps the second battle of Acco or the expedition to Amalek. I am doing this strictly out of piety, as a sincere offering to El.
W.b. I am doing this to try to impress the House of El and convince them to greater aid Zepath in its continued struggles against demons.

X. Something else? What? Fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 2, 2020

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Good thinking, voting for plan theglavwen, plan make an arrow of Esau

Making a spear to hold the Celaphot claw was specifically an option Diog presented as potentially possible, which is the main thing I am supporting. It will take some support and time because IIRC he said it would need highest-quality blooded bronze. SniperWoreConverse doesn’t limit the plan to that, but it is the most achievable first step.

Edit: 7. IIIIII
The spear should only take a portion of our time budget, but I want to make sure it gets that portion.

The rest of my votes, which i never spelled out, should be taken as identical to Sniper.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 2, 2020

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Please, please make sure to label your responses as being for question 7 for the sake of our vote counters, thank you.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

7. GGIINH

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
7.JJJJJJ

Edit: Vote changed below. Sorry club! gotta strategically vote (against the sword).

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 3, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

7. AAAAAA

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 2, 2020

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
7.BBBCGI

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think we should be making anything that requires us to incorporate still-living creatures into the construction process.

It is grotesque.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Outrail posted:

Stick a 'Lake Gurtrude' sign near Zepath and start digging a really big hole.

Lol

7.FFFGGA

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
7. ABBIPQ

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

7. AAAAAA

Probably gonna get lost in a sea of tther projects, but I have to try. I woulnd't object to arming Dor or Acco.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Boonoo posted:

I don’t think we should be making anything that requires us to incorporate still-living creatures into the construction process.

It is grotesque.pleasing to our Lord El God on High whose whim is law and justice.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

7. D G H I I L

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
7. ikikik

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

7. 6 for X or W.c: build as many cages for capture and delivery of live sea demons for crafting at our forge

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
7. FFFKKK

Sword name is "toothpick"

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
7: ABCHFT

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Theglavwen posted:

It is grotesquepleasing to our Lord El God on High whose whim is law and justice.

So’s slavery.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Boonoo posted:

It is grotesque.

If it truly is El-endorsed, that raises some red flags for me.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

When ADina asks us what the hell we should tell him the secret to becoming this good is fatherly love.

"Adina, I just think of the first hug Tudiya gave me and Blooded Bronze flows so easily, it's incredible!"

That would probably break him.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

7. IIBBNN

The cephalot spear has the single best effort-for-reward ratio in terms of making us more powerful if we go wandering somewhere with Uriah. General smithing might not be as sexy as some of the other projects, but it's still very important, and the earlier we do it the more return on investment we'll get. And I want to outfit the house men of Kavodel to reduce the grumbling when we start doing the same for Dor and Acco later.

I definitely want to make an eagle arrow and some super-arrows later, but everything else is more urgent.

Making armour or non-arrow weapons for ourselves is one of the least useful things we could do at this point. We'll be spending decades on it to get a slight upgrade on what we already have. We should only start on that when we're better than Tudiya's uncle.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 2, 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TheCog posted:

Snipers plan is "do thing you don't know how to do"

My plan isn't intended to make a thing we don't know how to make, but to lay the foundation and work at learning how to make it

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

If it truly is El-endorsed, that raises some red flags for me.

We have seen animals killed on the altar in sacrifice to El many many times in our lives.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Y'all, we gotta focus on increasing our potential even further. What's the best thing for immediately spiking our quality and speed in high tier smithing? That's right, live poo poo - the nastier the better. So if we focus on making cages that actually allow for the capture of higher tier poo poo, we can both give our town an outlet for all their pent up aggression in a way that allows for us to make their gear of several higher tiers at the same time as giving them experience against their foes. The risk is great, but they're already suiciding at the ocean anyways so we might as well give their deaths a purpose.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

According to Every-Strike live Detestable Things killed in your forge ritualistically will be of great help in just about anything you want to make, as well as some fearsome beasts. Tudiya probably won't be thrilled bringing demons into Kavodel though you may be able to talk him into it...at the risk of raising your "Is Enkidel Human?" modifier for everyone who knows you are bringing freaking demons to town. And sending your men to capture demons for you, without your presence would not necessarily damage your relationship with the Balls but run counter to your culture. According to Every-Strike some materials from Detestable Things and beasts don't need to be prepared in your forge, alive(though it would be ideal) and you could still do it yourself as long as you are present to kill them. Which... means going south of the river or to the coast, which are "very probable" and "certain" death sentences respectively. Puabi might still be an option though, but even if she would do it, there are some very obvious risks there too. Is there interest in this?

Still, if there is interest in this we will provide more details and structure another question around it though we are worried about voter fatigue and every option would have potentially hefty risks and downsides with nothing like a "good" option.

Diogines posted:

...and no, asking a hammer who you have to "aid you as your efforts in service to the Almighty One" if dealing with witches is okay is not a "consequence free question time freebie" and if it was not obvious, this risks pissing off El, at least according to the priests.

According to your father the expectations for proper conduct are higher on the Blooded, so now that you have Every-Strike is the tolerance of any mistakes or disloyalty on your part even lower? Maybe. Or maybe not. You don't know, but you probably want to consider that possibility.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 2, 2020

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

7. IIPPF

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Victis posted:

We have seen animals killed on the altar in sacrifice to El many many times in our lives.

There’s a clear difference between killing an animal or monster and the Indor-style vivisection that’d be necessary to put a still-beating heart on our anvil.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Write it: Make a blooded utensil set

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
7. BBGIOO

Upgrades for the balls, eagle arrow as trump card, improve our fundamentals to improve everything we do, socket for the cephalot claw as further trump card against overpowered horrors.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Boonoo posted:

There’s a clear difference between killing an animal or monster and the Indor-style vivisection that’d be necessary to put a still-beating heart on our anvil.

I think the idea is to put the whole roc on the anvil. Which would present uh... a challenge.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Ask Everystrike if we could upgrade the laurels on the forge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Boonoo posted:

So’s slavery.

Is it? Our hammer hasn't told us to enslave anyone in our forge yet.