Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I gave up trying to be truly bilingual after a year of Latin class in Highschool. It was the different tenses that did me in I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/tmsanime/status/1278721904187039745?s=20

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

I gave up trying to be truly bilingual after a year of Latin class in Highschool. It was the different tenses that did me in I think.

You were doomed the moment you chose Latin, a dead language nobody speaks in day to day conversations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i would like to learn spanish

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

i would like to learn spanish
Let it be so! / ¡Qué así sea!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zeether posted:

I have Genki lying around and looked at it a few times but never sat down and actually studied it

People recommend Genki a lot but it's clearly a classroom textbox and difficult to use effectively by yourself. I can't really get into it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zeether posted:

I have Genki lying around and looked at it a few times but never sat down and actually studied it
genki is a good rear end book, even if you don't learn a thing from it. what kind of poo poo is mary and takeshi going to get into next? it's harrowing

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Julias posted:

You were doomed the moment you chose Latin, a dead language nobody speaks in day to day conversations.

My HS Latin teacher did immersion at a monastery.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

as an american this is the only lesson in the latin language that I have ever received

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I had to take Chinese in fifth grade and I was so bad at it that it scared me from trying any other languages

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

British language teaching is so dire that I've retained almost nothing from five years of German, but I've built up a patchwork of Japanese vocab purely from watching anime.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Polsy posted:

People recommend Genki a lot but it's clearly a classroom textbox and difficult to use effectively by yourself. I can't really get into it.

+1

Trying to self-teach is hard... I've stalled out completely on Japanese learning and don't know what to do to get direction and motivation back.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Real important vocab too, like 'oppai' and 'yuri'.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm the weirdo that reads technical manuals and language specs and textbooks for fun, but imo the reason genki is so widely recommended is that it doesn't read all that much like a textbook despite definitely being one. its very light and very demonstrative, and it takes a trajectory through the grammar that made a lot more sense to me than all the books that are supposedly more approachable than the idk 1200 pages or whatever the complete course of genki is (although most of the people that talk about genki don't really care about anything after genki I)

like i have the teacher's edition also, and most teacher's editions will have a lot of tips on how to build coursework around a textbook, but the genki one is pretty much a ripoff because its just "uh have them read genki and then do this chapter of the genki workbook"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hungry posted:

British language teaching is so dire that I've retained almost nothing from five years of German, but I've built up a patchwork of Japanese vocab purely from watching anime.

this is normal, i had german too but i ended up never actually using it outside class. i still understand a tiny bit, but i picked up 99% of my japanese from anime and furigana equipped manga and have been subtitle free for about 10 years now.

Hungry posted:

Real important vocab too, like 'oppai' and 'yuri'.

:yeah:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/M0BICAL/status/1278774613665865731

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1278799959966580738?s=20

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The non-obvious thing about genki is knowing to also do the workbook stuff too, and doing the kanji practice alongside each chapter, but yeah that's more a classroom thing. It's a pretty good book though.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh no I missed language chat have the quintessential Canadian classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBSflK1FTSY

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/telewaifus/status/1278829569068449792?s=20

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Love Live Sunshine will forever remind me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u39a3B8OswU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been betrayed. I thought this meant there was a new chapter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cappy kindly donated an encode of this week's precure, if anybody wants to watch it in about 5 minutes
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its orihime

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

gently caress yeahhhhj

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

its orihime

who

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Back then, I did it every day...
One day was just like another...
I thought it was my own intention,
But now, I'm not sure anymore...
Suddenly, my journey has begun,
While everyone around blessed me,
How could I've known!?!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
DIVIDE MY HEEEEEART
SOMEONE DIES UNFAIRLY
DIVIDE MY HEEEEEART
SOMEONE BURNS A SOUL TO VENGEANCE
I DON'T KNOW WHYYYYY
WE STARTED ALL THIS TRAGEDY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

I took a few Japanese classes in college but I've forgotten everything I learned.

Sorry, Keiko-sensei.... :negative:

I used to speak japanese apparently near fluently and my sister spoke Chinese as kids since our school incorporated English class with other languages alongside it, and then we switched to new schools that didn't include that sort of bilingual teaching and forgot it all basically immediately, it sucks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have no choice but to learn japanese so i can understand goofy doujin video games from 2003 so i'm afraid that i am just going to be stronger than any of you

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

The Colonel posted:

i have no choice but to learn japanese so i can understand goofy doujin video games from 2003 so i'm afraid that i am just going to be stronger than any of you

i will also walk this path

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The Colonel posted:

Wait, did fans make a sequel to Goof Troop on the SNES

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

its orihime
Orihime wishes she had a personality

CubeTheory posted:

Wait, did fans make a sequel to Goof Troop on the SNES
They're talking about Bible Black, baaaaka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjgqOrrw2mM

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 3, 2020