Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ChrisBTY posted:

It just says I need more foreign tourists; so can I make up for Gorgo say, banning music by getting foreign tourists from other Civs I've already dominated or does the game actually work like Civ V where I have to overcome her lifetime culture gain?

The VI system is needlessly obtuse; it functions virtually the same as V's. The one significant change is that you accumulate tourism into a singular pool from each civ instead of ultimately only needing to overpower your biggest rival. You could also have won by continuing to send rock bands at all the civs that didn't ban you, and it would have been only slightly slower than taking tourists directly from Gorgo's pool.

Comstar posted:

So I completed my 1st game of Civ 6...by losing to Canada via Diplomacy. How do I stop that next time? I don't understand how I'm supposed to get other countries to vote for me or my wants.

How do I create national preserves?

I was trying to take a religion city but Egypt kept CAST LIGHTING and destroyed my missionaries. How did they do that?

Beyond using religious units, and invading with military units to take the city, how can I slow down or damage their religious defences?

You can't do anything to influence other civ's votes. This is abstracted by various diplomatic actions giving you Diplomatic Favor, the voting currency. You either have enough Favor to push through a vote for yourself, or you spend it voting to take points away from Canada.

You need to research the Civic that unlocks Naturalists (Natural History, I think?). This lets you recruit the Naturalist unit in the Purchase With Faith menu. They can create National Parks, and eligible spots will be highlighted in white when you have the unit selected. You need to build them in a 4-tile diamond shape, wherein each tile has Breathtaking appeal, no tile can contain improvements or districts, every tile is a land tile, and all tiles belong to the same city. The last one is what usually trips me up.

Religious units can attack each other, without the owners needing to be at war. The lightning is the graphic for religious combat. Missionaries get chewed up by Apostles, and any Religious AI loves to pick policy cards that boost their religious units' strength. If you want to convert cities, you usually pick up an Apostle or two with the Debater promotion (+20 religious combat strength) and send them ahead of your missionaries to kill enemy religious units.

Those are your two options. If you've got the faith to spare, apostles with the Prosetylizer promotion will kill 75% of a religion's presence in a city when they convert it, instantly removing the AI religion which makes that city unable to produce religious units until it's converted back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Comstar posted:

So I completed my 1st game of Civ 6...by losing to Canada via Diplomacy. How do I stop that next time? I don't understand how I'm supposed to get other countries to vote for me or my wants.

I was trying to take a religion city but Egypt kept CAST LIGHTING and destroyed my missionaries. How did they do that?

Beyond using religious units, and invading with military units to take the city, how can I slow down or damage their religious defences?

World Congress in Civ VI is dumb. You can't really coerce other civs to vote for you, you have to figure out what they'll vote for and vote alongside them - even if it's to your own detriment.

National Parks require a Naturalist, which is a one time use unit that can only be bought with faith.

There are effective 2 combat systems in Civ VI - military combat and religion. At a mechanical level they're the same, but it's best to think of it as 2 types of war. Religious war can be held at any time between any 2 religions, whereas traditional war actually requires a Casus Belli. There is crossover if you declare traditional war AND the other civ has an opposing religion, but there's some weirdness to it.

In addition to that, there are only a few types of religious units - Missionaries are the earliest, and are best used to spread your religion very early on and build a foothold. Apostles are the main unit - they can actually fight/kill each other (these are the CAST LIGHTNING unit you're asking about). Gurus are the healer units. Other units can be bought with faith but don't really interact with religion per se (see: Rock Bands, Naturalists).

Apostle combat is your best bet to slow down religious spread. Unless traditional combat, apostle combat has a sort of AoE effect on surrounding cities - if you kill other apostles, you decrease religions other than your own in every city within X (I think 6) tiles. It's the most efficient way to do it, especially if you can march several apostles at once along with a guru to keep their health up.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Comstar posted:

if you have declared friendships/alliances with civs there a few congress motions where they will vote for you (eg new district culture bomb). but mostly you just need to recognise what the ai are likely to do and go with. for example they will almost always boost production to city centre buildings.

you can also accrue enough diplo favour relative to everyone and use that to control the congress, you mainly gain diplo favour by suzeraining city sates, having alliances, and from level of government; and not invading people or otherwise causing grievances. to actually stop a diplo victory - idk just win earlier i guess. it's never something that matters in my games.

national parks are created using a unit called a naturalist. these can only be purchased with faith in any city and come with the conservation civic. they can be placed where you have four tiles in a horizontal diamond, with no improvements/districts/wonders, all owned by the same city, and with appeal of breathtaking (ie >= 4). when you select thee naturalist eligible tiles for parks will be highlighted.

religious combat. if you select a religious unit then they can attack other religious units - just like normal war. winning religious combat will also spread your religion to nearby cities.

that's it. either get your apostles to out debate them. or send in your army to kill the heretics.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have hundres of hours in this game and never built a national park

The requirements are pretty ridiculous

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have hundres of hours in this game and never built a national park

The requirements are pretty ridiculous

The fact that they all have to be the same shape and size and orientation - JUST LIKE REAL NATIONAL PARKS!! - is so goddamn infuriating. Why on earth was that never changed? It feels like something they threw in for initial testing and then forgot to improve. And not being able to check for potential sites without investing in buying a naturalist is even worse.

I do use national parks now, but usually only when I've gotten the Eiffel Tower, which I often go for anyway because Earth Goddess is one of my most-used pantheons. I think my max was six in one game, but that was on the inland sea map, so land at the margins didn't get gobbled up quite as fast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pfft, my record is six in one city. You can get a fair number of them up if you plan for them before putting districts down.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Comstar posted:

It's close to impossible to win a Diplomatic Victory through voting alone. I never won one until I read up on all the other ways to earn those points. One time I won a game that way before the voting even started.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

showbiz_liz posted:

The fact that they all have to be the same shape and size and orientation - JUST LIKE REAL NATIONAL PARKS!! - is so goddamn infuriating. Why on earth was that never changed? It feels like something they threw in for initial testing and then forgot to improve. And not being able to check for potential sites without investing in buying a naturalist is even worse.

I do use national parks now, but usually only when I've gotten the Eiffel Tower, which I often go for anyway because Earth Goddess is one of my most-used pantheons. I think my max was six in one game, but that was on the inland sea map, so land at the margins didn't get gobbled up quite as fast.

I thought there was a lens you could use to check for national parks?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There's a lense for appeal which can help, but the simplest way is to build a naturalist and just see what diamond-shaped sets get highlighted. But even that is a bit bugged too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

There's a lense for appeal which can help, but the simplest way is to build a naturalist and just see what diamond-shaped sets get highlighted. But even that is a bit bugged too.
Yeah I was going to say that can be its own pain in the rear end because you can have four adjacent high-appeal tiles that look like they should fit a National Park, but then it turns out they're not all owned by the same city and then you have to gently caress around with that and maybe one hex is four tiles away from the city center that owns the other three and ah gently caress it chop everything and bring on Global Warming

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the best mod to slow the game down so technology and units matter? I tried marathon and it didn't help - units would be obsolete before they got to the front. I like playing on Epic but I still only have 1 war over 3 ages and never get a chance to fight a war in ancient times.

I'm going to try 8 ages of pace. Any better suggestions?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Comstar posted:

What's the best mod to slow the game down so technology and units matter? I tried marathon and it didn't help - units would be obsolete before they got to the front. I like playing on Epic but I still only have 1 war over 3 ages and never get a chance to fight a war in ancient times.

I want that too

A marathon mode that affects only tech and civics, but not production, movement and the rest

Tech advances way to quickly but everything else is slow enough already

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I want that too

A marathon mode that affects only tech and civics, but not production, movement and the rest

Tech advances way to quickly but everything else is slow enough already

:emptyquote:

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
There used to be a mod to make tech and civics take 3 - 5 times longer, but it never got updated after the first expansion

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Probably not hard to mod? But I never modded anything for civ 6

I think specially early game, ancient, classical and medieval, it goes too fast. We barely have time to build an unit and is already outdated

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

That's not a bad idea. I downloaded the mod tools, might take a look later.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
That's a good idea for a mod. The only way to get maximum value out of UUs is usually to rush them and then abuse the poo poo out of them.

Reminds me I really should finish my Viking Longship game. Should be able to wrap it up as soon as I get aircraft carriers going.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

FreeMars posted:

There used to be a mod to make tech and civics take 3 - 5 times longer, but it never got updated after the first expansion

Is this it? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890528355

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Thats not the one I used before, but it looks cool. Might have to check that out over the long weekend

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I think this is the newest one by the same author:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2123444827

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

National parks are fine and all but what you really should be spamming are seaside resorts and ski resorts. The latter is especially nice because it doesn't really require you to sacrifice anything to get them unless you're Inca.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Comstar posted:

Play Old World.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This just got released and should be in then op.

Christopher Tin - Sogno di Volare ("The Dream of Flight") Official Music Video. It got tears in my eyes.

quote:

Christopher Tin
Listen now: https://christophertin.lnk.to/TSTSID

This video is an ode to humanity: a tribute to those who push us forward as a people. It's a reminder that we're capable of achieving great things: by leaning on the accomplishments of those who came before us, but also harnessing the passion, imagination, and determination of those who see great things ahead.

This new recording of 'Sogno di Volare' is performed by the Royal Opera Chorus, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and Anna Lapwood on organ. We recorded it at Abbey Road with William Spaulding conducting the ROC, and me conducting the RPO. I'm immensely excited about it, and I hope you all love it as well! It's the first track on my new album 'To Shiver the Sky', an oratorio about the history of humankind's quest to conquer the stars. Lyrics are an adaptation of Leonardo da Vinci's writings on flights, with help from my friend Chiara Cortez. The piece was originally composed as the theme song for the video game Civilization VI.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I feel like in Civ4 they came out with Marathon specifically because you'd build a swordsman and it'd be hopelessly outdated by the time they rolled out.
But in civ5 and civ6 they also slowed everything else down too so I stopped using that mode since it became totally pointless. It's like they forgot the purpose of it beyond "make it slower".

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
After getting frustrated late game when I can't seem to find any key resources on the map (e.g., aluminum, oil, or uranium), I finally discovered that there is an actual search feature where you can type in a resource and it snaps to all of its locations (at least, of the parts of the map you've discovered). I don't know why it took me this long to find it. :doh: I'm sure it was probably mentioned at some point in this thread, but I don't keep up often enough.

Also, Simon Bolivar is hilariously overpowered with his promote+move+attack in one turn ability for military units. He has become my go-to for domination victories.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ratcheting up to difficulty 7 and oh man Persia is fun. Incentive to be an rear end in a top hat, supermovment that works real nice with pillage mechanics and a melee unit that can help take cities. Started on a small continent with just the Inca and a stray 6th settler on turn 80 was all the incentive I needed to start the fireworks

E: by turn 105 the deed is done and the continent is at peace now. Something that I'd not thought about - If i don't start a religion myself but conquer a civ that has founded one, can i take over their religion for myself as a victory condition? Or am i forever locked out of that and the whole 'get stuff for followers of your religion' bonuses

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 3, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Blasmeister posted:

Ratcheting up to difficulty 7 and oh man Persia is fun. Incentive to be an rear end in a top hat, supermovment that works real nice with pillage mechanics and a melee unit that can help take cities. Started on a small continent with just the Inca and a stray 6th settler on turn 80 was all the incentive I needed to start the fireworks

E: by turn 105 the deed is done and the continent is at peace now. Something that I'd not thought about - If i don't start a religion myself but conquer a civ that has founded one, can i take over their religion for myself as a victory condition? Or am i forever locked out of that and the whole 'get stuff for followers of your religion' bonuses

I believe as long as you control the holy city for a given religion, you control the religious victory for that religion. I'm not sure how it works if you control multiple holy cities though, still probably the same wincons, you just have to pick which religion to focus on.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Nah, you need to found the religion to win with it. You could spread it to winning levels, lose the holy city then retake and liberate it to instantly lose which would be funny. Founder beliefs like tithe etc don’t work for you but the others will.

If you get a great prophet and use it on the founding holy site it converts majority old religion cities to your new one.

tmm3k posted:

After getting frustrated late game when I can't seem to find any key resources on the map (e.g., aluminum, oil, or uranium), I finally discovered that there is an actual search feature where you can type in a resource and it snaps to all of its locations (at least, of the parts of the map you've discovered). I don't know why it took me this long to find it. :doh: I'm sure it was probably mentioned at some point in this thread, but I don't keep up often enough

It’s great. Other tips are you can append a civ to only find things in their borders (eg coal Gran Colombia) and search for unbuilt wonders to check if a civ has started it on a visible tile.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ok thanks, so there's not really much reason for me to spend my faith points on religious units (all the prophets are taken) other than to maybe buffer against some other civ's religious victory.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Quotey posted:

It’s great. Other tips are you can append a civ to only find things in their borders (eg coal Gran Colombia) and search for unbuilt wonders to check if a civ has started it on a visible tile.

:aaaaa: that's amazing, I never knew that! Gotta try it out !

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blasmeister posted:

Ok thanks, so there's not really much reason for me to spend my faith points on religious units (all the prophets are taken) other than to maybe buffer against some other civ's religious victory.

Absolutely. And the religions will be dueling over you, so you usually don't need the buffer either. Save those faith points for Rock Bands and Naturalists if you're going for a Culture victory or for unit purchases with faith once you get the relevant era bonuses.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Comstar posted:

Christopher Tin - Sogno di Volare ("The Dream of Flight") Official Music Video. It got tears in my eyes.

The game might be irreparably bugged, but this is still an earworm.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Comstar posted:

Needs more images of poo poo running through streets, otherwise nice video.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Quotey posted:

Nah, you need to found the religion to win with it. You could spread it to winning levels, lose the holy city then retake and liberate it to instantly lose which would be funny. Founder beliefs like tithe etc don’t work for you but the others will.

If you get a great prophet and use it on the founding holy site it converts majority old religion cities to your new one.

:aaaaa:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The "resource search" button is amazing. I love it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh drat, I just had the best idea for a role-play as Spain.

Apocalypse Mode, Spain playing the role of the avenging Catholic Monarchs who militate against the pagan religions infesting the world, with their barbaric human sacrifice. It would be an ongoing worldwide religious crusade, seemingly pleasing God above...

Until the comets start to fall. The pagans were right all along.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I somehow never realized that pagodas had been changed in Gathering Storm to give +1 diplomatic favor each instead of housing. That's really powerful. Right now I have zero suzerained city-states and I'm still accumulating more favor than anyone else.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

showbiz_liz posted:

I somehow never realized that pagodas had been changed in Gathering Storm to give +1 diplomatic favor each instead of housing. That's really powerful. Right now I have zero suzerained city-states and I'm still accumulating more favor than anyone else.

I think that was changed in the most recent patch

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I think that was changed in the most recent patch

Thanks! The wiki just said it was different in Gathering Storm and I was like "weird that I never noticed it until now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

showbiz_liz posted:

There was just a set of patch notes up for even more religion abilities changes, too