Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I could go for some tatooine fried tip-yip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've had it. It's just OK.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/docking-bay-7-food-and-cargo/menus/lunch-and-dinner/

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Pastry of the Year posted:

and TODAY you learned:

My slow brain came up with Before Baba Yaga, but upon consideration does BBY=Before Baby Yoda :allears:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sweeperbravo posted:

My slow brain came up with Before Baba Yaga, but upon consideration does BBY=Before Baby Yoda :allears:

Unfortunately not. Before the Battle of Yavin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yoda isn't a race

:goonsay:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

Big Beautiful Yoda

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sweeperbravo posted:

Basically all SW media is dated in relation to the Battle of Yavin, which was the planet the rebels were on (or one of its moons or whatever) in the first movie when the Death Star blew up.

I think Disney’s recently been trying to base everything around the destruction of the new base in Force Awakens, but that hasn’t been received especially well.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Len posted:

Yoda isn't a race

its a measure of distance

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My personal theory is that yodas (for lack of a real species name) are a brood parasite who lay an egg somewhere to be found by some hapless sapient, and instinctively use the Force to mind trick them into caring for the cute alien baby they found. This is why you don't see them forming societies: there aren't many of them to begin with and none of them get raised by their own kind.

I should probably get around to finishing the Mandalorian, though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

RoboRodent posted:

My personal theory is that yodas (for lack of a real species name) are a brood parasite who lay an egg somewhere to be found by some hapless sapient, and instinctively use the Force to mind trick them into caring for the cute alien baby they found. This is why you don't see them forming societies: there aren't many of them to begin with and none of them get raised by their own kind.

I should probably get around to finishing the Mandalorian, though.

Boy are you going to regret this post after you see the episode where they go to the Yoda Pleasure Planet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zero One posted:

Boy are you going to regret this post after you see the episode where they go to the Yoda Pleasure Planet.

I think we all are going to regret that episode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pleasure for them is a good book and a crisp Napa Valley white. Get your mind out of the gutter!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Time is cyclical and at the end/beginning of the universe humans will evolve into yodas.

Or hutts

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember several people saying they thought Yoda is just a really old human when they watched ESB as children.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I always thought Yoda was like Tigger

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I always thought that his species was human-sized and Yoda just started shrinking at 50 like my grandma and never stopped

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sweeperbravo posted:

I always thought Yoda was like Tigger

- George Lucas (2002)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The MSJ posted:

I remember several people saying they thought Yoda is just a really old human when they watched ESB as children.

I one hundred percent thought this as a ~six year old.

Then again I also thought that there was just one catch-all "citrus" tree and the fruit you got depended on when you picked it, like limes ripened to lemons with ripened to mandarins which grew into oranges which then faded into grapefruits. Maybe I wasn't that smart as a kid...

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Memento posted:

I one hundred percent thought this as a ~six year old.

Then again I also thought that there was just one catch-all "citrus" tree and the fruit you got depended on when you picked it, like limes ripened to lemons with ripened to mandarins which grew into oranges which then faded into grapefruits. Maybe I wasn't that smart as a kid...

I mean... that's not totally wrong...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

I always thought that his species was human-sized and Yoda just started shrinking at 50 like my grandma and never stopped

Your grandma was The Wasp?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lemony posted:

I mean... that's not totally wrong...

I don't know enough about it to know if you're joking or not, but considering who you are, I think I'll trust you on the subject.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Citrus taxonomy was mysterious for many years. They have a long history of cultivation and they hybridise readily with each other. We figured it out with genetic analysis in the twentieth century.

There are three wild species of citrus, mandarin, citron, and pummelo that are the primary ancestors of major commercial fruits, which I think was the idea behind “not totally wrong”. It’s also possible to graft most citrus to each other.

Kumquats are their own species. Limes have C. micrantha in them and there are some niche crops with genes from outside, including makrut lime, yuzu, and calamansi. Australia has an entire genus, Microcitrus, whose most popular member is the finger lime.

This map is kind of not entirely correct. Mandarins are believed to be native to Taiwan and the Philippines, not just mainland China.

Life didn’t give us lemons.

We created them.

I like lemons and limes, but don’t ask me why we bred oranges or grapefruits. The wild types are just better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The calamondin is apparently one of the most powerful culminations of fruit evolution and I've never even heard of it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s just the most niche fruit that the chart maker included for whatever reason. It’s popular in the Philippines.

I’m not a fan. Now, Japan’s sudachi, that’s a good fruit. It’s more common than limes there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Memento, you’re in the pocket of big small citrus. Your post about cola in this thread got me to try some, then buy the fruit when I saw it at a market, then buy a tree.

Memento posted:

Chinotto Cola, it's pretty good. Bisleri is the largest brand and it is, of course, owned by the Coca-Cola Amatil company.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

drat man, you know Brio only costs a buck a liter, right?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RandomFerret posted:

drat man, you know Brio only costs a buck a liter, right?

Niche Canadian soft drinks aren't exactly widespread though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/blvckmass/status/1278819083966873600?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bold choice to depict Kobe Bryant burning in hell for being a rapist.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Every dog my parents and my self have owned in my whole life were terrified of thunder and fireworks.

What year did this happen? I grew up with the assumption that there were neighborhood dogs that would just wander but were not stray. I don't think I've seen anyone treat their dog that way in 20 years though. There are entirely fenced-in "good dog parks" where you don't need a leash. I've never seen a loose dog outside them in... a long rear end time.

People just let their dogs run free and then are shocked when they react to a loud thing? Do you live somewhere without leash laws? Those aren't just made to restrict dog owners. They protect dogs from going into a panic and darting across a busy road...

I am assuming the park where "some lovely kids" set off fireworks was otherwise a good place to walk your dog, but if it's within distance of a busy road with no barriers why are there dogs with no leash?

Is this a "big city thing"? If you really want to let your dogs go hog wild and off the hook, you can find state protected land within a day's drive. Unless you live in like, Singapore?

It was about 2 years ago and in lreland. As it happens my own dog was on a lead because he's a panicker. Multiple other people had their dogs off leash, presumably because it's a pretty big park so a dog would have to run a long way to be in danger, and their dogs could be trusted not to run off in normal circumstances. Fireworks at lunchtime in April are not normal circumstances. Leash laws are not universally identical around the world you know, the requirement here is generally that the dog has to be under 'effective control'. That's a lead for some dogs, and vocal commands for dogs who have been fully trained.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If it isn't fireworks it's dog peer pressure. Verbal control is leaving enough leash to hang yourself with and are bad laws imo. Working dogs who have graduated from dog school are still kept on a leash on the job (for the jobs where it's possible) because it's such a good short circuit.

Dog parks with bad density control are similarly a menace because at least the fence means they arent going to bolt into traffic but the dog peer pressure gets to be a menace.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's shitbag owners as well that go to fenced dog parks and sit there on their phones or whatever while their dog terrorises the place. "He can't run into traffic = he's safe = my responsibilities are fulfilled".

I take my dog to the massive triple oval complex near our dog park that is also off-leash because there's almost never anyone there, no matter how full the park is. I get my walk in while my dog runs all over the place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Bold choice to depict Kobe Bryant burning in hell for being a rapist.

Has he been canceled at all or is it only goons bringing this up? Don't speak ill of the dead etc.

e: I think off-leash is fine with a well-behaved dog, but the people who do it are almost invariably the ones who really shouldn't as they've done a poo poo job of educating their dogs. I have no strong feelings about dogs one way or the other, but I'm still annoyed when there's one of them running around all over the place, barking at or otherwise bothering random people, and the owner's just shrugging. Imagine being afraid of dogs and you come across one of these assholes with their dog on one of your walks.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jul 3, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Has he been canceled at all or is it only goons bringing this up?

He got canceled by a mountain

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Phlegmish posted:

I think off-leash is fine with a well-behaved dog, but the people who do it are almost invariably the ones who really shouldn't as they've done a poo poo job of educating their dogs. I have no strong feelings about dogs one way or the other, but I'm still annoyed when there's one of them running around all over the place, barking at or otherwise bothering random people, and the owner's just shrugging. Imagine being afraid of dogs and you come across one of these assholes with their dog on one of your walks.

'He's just trying to be friendly!'

'I don't know why he is acting like that--usually he is so well-behaved!'

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phlegmish posted:

Has he been canceled at all or is it only goons bringing this up? Don't speak ill of the dead etc.

thanks to the brave souls willing to stand up for dead rapists

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

I also thought this. I imagined Yoda was a sick-rear end muscular bird/elf looking dude when he was younger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Twitch posted:

I also thought this. I imagined Yoda was a sick-rear end muscular bird/elf looking dude when he was younger.

I like overanalysing media and have come to the conclusion that Yoda is probably self-taught at English. His unusual sentence construction is fairly standard "Verb, Object, Subject" ie "Obey me, you will" - this implies to me that his native language has that kind of grammar, and that when he learned english, probably from a computer or book, he just kind of swapped his own words for the english equivalent, never learning English grammar properly due to no formal tuition.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

BioEnchanted posted:

I like overanalysing media and have come to the conclusion that Yoda is probably self-taught at English. His unusual sentence construction is fairly standard "Verb, Object, Subject" ie "Obey me, you will" - this implies to me that his native language has that kind of grammar, and that when he learned english, probably from a computer or book, he just kind of swapped his own words for the english equivalent, never learning English grammar properly due to no formal tuition.

Ahem. English? I think you mean Galactic Basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, he's just old enough that the language has evolved and he hadn't kept up. Talked like that everyone did 900 years ago.