Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this was all a deep undercover op by singapore to make them the new top Asian Hypercapitalist Citystate
that's legend of the galactic heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1276071657795354624

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

coming to the atlantic monthly... a month and a week from now: "how we lost hong kong," an expose on the half-hearted u.s. support for the protests which journalistic groupthink pretended didn't exist for the past year

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I wasn't aware that the US funding the Hong Kong people was a secret. I thought they were like, advertising that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lightning Knight posted:

I wasn't aware that the US funding the Hong Kong people was a secret. I thought they were like, advertising that.

Inscrutable Americans, don't know what they're up to

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Singapore leadership (both Lee and his wife) actually have been pretty critical of the anti extradition bill movement even though they don't have to say anything and nobody asked them. Ultimately, they are true believers of the Singaporean favor of authoritarian model.

Do you know that you can't talk about foreign politic inside Singapore without prior permission? I didn't know this law exist until a pro Carrie Lam Hong Konger got into trouble by hosting a kind of seminar talk about the HK situation. Like a straight think tank group talk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

they were explicitly playing stupid every time the question of "who's bankrolling the protesters" got asked, so the amazing investigative journalisms of the mainstream media shrugged and moved onto more important issues.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Heads up, this thread might get reported by the GBS China thread soon.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Forceholy posted:

who gives a gently caress

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For what lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

For what lol

Haramstufe Rot posted:

If you support the CCP; you are literally a Nazi.

Not figuratively. You are literally supporting bona-fide fascism, death camps and violent occupations, Lebensraum and Anschluß. It's even the same rethoric. And all that just because America is bad. lmao at you.

lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

guy with erich honecker av calling the CCP literal nazis.... SOMEONES still mad about the sino-soviet split

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
GBA thread should stick with boring Asian beer chat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this was all a deep undercover op by singapore to make them the new top Asian Hypercapitalist Citystate

Xinjiapo is the next territory to be reigned in.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

imagine living in the US and hating china more than your own country lmao

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Forceholy posted:

I have now switched teams

put me in a struggle session cspam

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

now that pevin is gone this is the least racist china thread on the forums

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'll double my racism to compensate

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grapplejack posted:

now that pevin is gone this is the least racist china thread on the forums

that's not really a high bar to jump over

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

technically this is the East Asia thread, so Philippines news now falls within the CSPAM nine-dash line

Voice of America has been closely and critically, covering China's new law about Hong Kong, but they've also got some sort of positive coverage about Duterte's new "anti-terror" bill.

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/who-exactly-communist-rebel-philippine-anti-terrorism-act-has-answers

quote:

Who Exactly is a Communist Rebel? Philippine Anti-Terrorism Act Has Answers
By Ralph Jennings
June 29, 2020 03:47 AM

The law passed this month by the Southeast Asian country’s lower house of Congress helps President Rodrigo Duterte squelch armed rebels, maybe more

TAIPEI, TAIWAN - Legislators in the Philippines have passed an anti-terrorism law that broadens President Rodrigo Duterte’s power to squelch armed rebels along with backers of the Communist party linked to a widespread violent struggle.

The House of Representatives passed the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 in early June and Duterte has indicated he will sign it.

Critics of Duterte, who’s known for a deadly anti-drug crackdown since taking office in 2016, worry that authorities will interpret the law to stop any kind of dissent. People connected with the communists would be particularly targeted, analysts say.

“It’s very ambiguous, and it’s also subject to abuse even if they have a provision there saying that rallies and criticisms against governments are not included, given that there’s a very vague definition of terrorists and it’s subject to a lot of interpretations,” said Maria Ela Atienza, political science professor at the University of the Philippines Diliman.

The 2020 act replaces a 2007 law by adding “proposal” to commit terrorism, along with training of terrorists as violations. It also expands the government’s means of surveillance against suspected terrorists. Suspects can be held 14 days under the new law without an initial court appearance, and judges can give life prison sentences to people convicted of terrorism.

The new act says terrorism means acting to kill or cause bodily harm to another person or attempting to take a life. It covers damage to public property as well, if done to spread fear.

Authorities will use the law to go after the New People’s Army, a branch of the Communist Party of the Philippines, analysts believe. The army operates mostly in rural areas where some among the poor favor communism. The army, believed to be about 4,000 strong, finds some of its recruits at universities.

Insurgencies were taking place in 219 towns in 31 of the country’s 81 provinces as of April 10, the Communist party said on its website. The army has killed about 30,000 people total over its 50-plus years and the party called off a cease-fire May 1.

The government has already “targeted” hundreds of activists, farmers, environmentalists, trade union leaders and journalists among others “on suspicion of being communists or communist sympathizers,” New York-based advocacy group Human Rights Watch says in a June 5 statement.

Activists overall suddenly face a “real and grave threat”, said Renato Reyes, secretary-general of the Manila-based Bagong Alyansang Makabayan alliance of leftist causes. Arrests can be made and bank accounts frozen on “mere suspicion”, he said.

“It’s quite easy to do since critics are routinely branded as communist affiliated or front organizations of the communists,” Reyes said. “It is going to extend to the legal activists and all other critics and even ordinary people.”

Manila’s new act will “open the door to arbitrary arrests and long prison sentences for people or representatives of organizations that have displeased the president,” Human Rights Watch’s deputy Asia director said in the statement.

The Philippines is hardly alone in using the law to combat terrorism. Saudi Arabia’s law came under fire in 2017 from the U.N. special rapporteur on human rights for targeting writers and human rights advocates over non-violent views. A law that Singapore rolled out in 2018 lets police ban reporting and posting videos from any terrorism scenes.

Philippine officials show no sign so far of abusing the law, said Eduardo Araral, associate professor at the National University of Singapore’s public policy school.

Just one person has been convicted under the 2007 law, and legislators made a special point to exclude common rallies and protests from the 2020 act, Araral said.

“They know the backlash against this bill, so I think they’ve done their job to make sure that civil rights are amply protected,” he said. For Duterte, he added, “the purpose of this bill is really to give the government the tools to put a final end to the communist insurgency.”

basically if you go into this article and are anti-communist, like most people reading VoA probably are, this law is made to sound pretty cool

it's wild how Trump hates VoA right now because they're are not reactionary enough

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

guy with erich honecker av calling the CCP literal nazis.... SOMEONES still mad about the sino-soviet split
never trust the social imperialists, they will betray you

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Taiwanese congress also rammed thru their "Anti Chinese-interference“ Law in one day back in Dec. The opposition party couldn't mount any resistance. Funny people are complaining the Peoples National Congress passed the HK Security Law too fast.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

technically this is the East Asia thread, so Philippines news now falls within the CSPAM nine-dash line

Voice of America has been closely and critically, covering China's new law about Hong Kong, but they've also got some sort of positive coverage about Duterte's new "anti-terror" bill.

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/who-exactly-communist-rebel-philippine-anti-terrorism-act-has-answers

basically if you go into this article and are anti-communist, like most people reading VoA probably are, this law is made to sound pretty cool

it's wild how Trump hates VoA right now because they're are not reactionary enough

This is good, thanks for the hot tip

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Taiwanese congress also rammed thru their "Anti Chinese-interference“ Law in one day back in Dec. The opposition party couldn't mount any resistance. Funny people are complaining the Peoples National Congress passed the HK Security Law too fast.

*legislative yuan

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Whatever, their Taiwan number won law cooking studio.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

when the pro chinese interference bill was rammed through, students ransacked the legislative yuan for like a month.

THS posted:

imagine living in the US and hating china more than your own country lmao

Well, that's by design

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

coming to the atlantic monthly... a month and a week from now: "how we lost hong kong," an expose on the half-hearted u.s. support for the protests which journalistic groupthink pretended didn't exist for the past year

lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also if you read / post ITT don't go into GBS and try to start a fight about china. i know it might seem like what happens on the forums might be the tipping point in the future of u.s.-china relations and the world, but it's not so

THS
Sep 15, 2017

also if you read / post ITT don't go into GBS and try to start a fight about china. i know it might seem like what happens on the forums might be the tipping point in the future of u.s.-china relations and the world, but it's not so

well now i want to go do it because you told me not to

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i don't fight with them, i just drop bombs and let them deal with the aftermath... just like amerikkka in pakistan...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

well now i want to go do it because you told me not to
noooooooo...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1268773836272656384/video/1

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMoUmvw8kU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fat lot of good all that did them

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

American police would likely start shooting with live rounds at this.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It was the cyberpunkiest moment. Only thing 2019 had over 2020.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I think Palau was the Island Tsai Engwei eat a bowl of bat soup on her depolmatic mission. Things the old girl did in the name of Taiwanese independence.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

is the forums full of no fly zones now? like people post bad stuff about china in this thread all the time but you're not allowed to challenge morons whipping themselves into anti communist hysteria, saying poo poo like "the hammer and sickle is the same as the swastika" and unironically quoting victims of communism propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

mila kunis posted:

is the forums full of no fly zones now? like people post bad stuff about china in this thread all the time but you're not allowed to challenge morons whipping themselves into anti communist hysteria, saying poo poo like "the hammer and sickle is the same as the swastika" and unironically quoting victims of communism propaganda

I just challenged them to provide at least one source not linked to Zenz or that Australian defector grifter.

They can’t do it

Instead of being skeptical and prudently exploring these wild claims, they enthusiastically bought in to the next iteration of the dumped out incubator babies story