Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't tell if this is sincere or not. I do know that I can ignite controversy by claiming that Bayek is better shaved but we've done that already. Either way, I am 100% down with more people doing Witcher 3 clones, as I love exploring giant worlds.

Oh sorry, completely sincere. I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Morter posted:

I really liked Guilty Gear XX on the PS2 when I was younger, just for the fun rear end kicking and characters.

There are more recent guilty gears, and I sort of miss that game. So, without taking into account netcode/MP, which is the better recent-guilty-gear game to go to?

Guilty Gear Rev 2 is the latest one and the last updated one with the most characters. It has an outrageously stupid name and an outrageously stupid store page, to the point where this graphic was made.

That said game is good and full of character and background details in the animations. It's genuinely my favorite fighting game out of this generation.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Does Raft work on Mac? Store page looks like that’s a no.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Shrecknet posted:

Suggest a game under :20bux:

Walking sim + exploration + puzzle/mystery solving = Return of the Obra Dinn, aka the single best "you are the detective insurance investigator" simulator ever made. Explore a cool ship, learn how the physical space works, solve a massive, interconnected and brilliantly-constructed mystery completely on your own with no gamey hand-holding. GOTY 2018.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Put a couple hours into Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, and I can 100% see why some folks were comparing it to Witcher 3 before. It's not exactly the same, but it totally feels like a mix of Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed 4. It feels like a much smaller Witcher 3 map/

I don't remember the tutorial or whether it limits where you can travel at first, but Odysseys map.. small :aaa:
If you started in Sparta and let your horse auto gallop to Amphipolis, pretty sure that would take like an hour. Then there's the other half of the map with a hundred islands.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

I like really vexing stealth or puzzle games, ...

Shrecknet posted:

Invisible, Inc.

The answer was in your backlog the whole time

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a bit of a stretch, but does anyone remember an indie/low-budget scifi game that was basically co-op Alien: Isolation? 1-4 players stuck in a space hulk with Alien-style motion sensors and a scary monster thing? I know for a fact that's somewhere in my backlog, but all I can remember is that the name was long and stupid, like "Super-alpha monster death machine" or something.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Space Hulk: Deathwing? Or is it really a single big bad monster?

E: Also GTFO.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

This is a bit of a stretch, but does anyone remember an indie/low-budget scifi game that was basically co-op Alien: Isolation? 1-4 players stuck in a space hulk with Alien-style motion sensors and a scary monster thing? I know for a fact that's somewhere in my backlog, but all I can remember is that the name was long and stupid, like "Super-alpha monster death machine" or something.

Unfortunate Spacemen?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Omi no Kami posted:

Space Beast Terror Fright.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Omi no Kami posted:

This?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/357330/Space_Beast_Terror_Fright/

It's still in Early Access if that's a deal breaker

e:fb

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
If you have it and want to play I am absolutely down to play with you. That game is dope and I'd love to play with a goon.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Disposable Scud posted:

That is a mouthful.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mycot posted:

Guilty Gear Rev 2 is the latest one
At least until early next year. :gerty:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help me thread. I need a category name for my steam library for all these card games, but the catch is it can't start with C. I want all of my categories to start under my Current one.

games for deckheads

StrixNebulosa posted:

a list of games

I should drag out ye ol' steam.xlsx this sale, shouldn't I?

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 3, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Shrecknet posted:

I don't know what I want, only what I don't want. I have a wishlist, but it's more of a mood board. So take a look at what's there and start shopping for me.

I vibe really well with Walking Sims and low-/no-dexterity Mystery/Point&Click stuff. I like to experience the story at my own pace in a failure-free environment, and be done with it in 1-2 sittings Sagebrush,, Frog Detective, stuff that's either heavy or light, as long as it's good. I'm old, I don't need 100 hour games anymore. Not sure what I was thinking buying Tyranny; I'm never gonna play it. :cry:

Alternately, I like really vexing stealth or puzzle games, Portal 2, Slayaway Camp and Gunpoint are my highlights from the last few years.

HUGE HUGE fan of Princess Makers like Vlad the Impaler and Long Live the Queen, not sure how to get more of that sort of "build a person and solve problems using that build" without going complete anime. Not interested in Visual Novels unless they're like Choice of Games's stuff with significant stats and systems under the hood.

Hard pass on most stuff that has medieval or fantasy trappings, I'm burnt out on it from years of board games and D&D. Big into cosmic horror, a e s t h e t i c vaporwave 80s stuff, sci-fi and interesting real-world environments. So...

Suggest a game under :20bux:, I'll buy it and if I like it, you get a game from your wishlist. RISK loving FREE. Gimme some suggestions.

You don't have NaissanceE, you should fix that.

dark horse option: My Lovely Daughter

:siren: After checking what the sale price of NaissanceE was these days, found out it is now FREE :siren:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 3, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Just noticed I have like 15,000 "steam points". Is there anything worthwhile I can turn them into like discount coupons, or should I just use them to get emoticons and stickers that will annoy my friends?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Bloodplay it again posted:

If you decide to play Katamari again, check this out.

Extremely excellent. I'm now slamming my katamari into fences. :yayclod:

Im_Special posted:

I've not got around to playing this one yet, but man I just need to say that it has one amazing soundtrack worth checking out if Dark Ambient / Psybient is your thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsX9WUdYnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKPWItNkeBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irTbS_uinw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlP8cUlPwvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksH2sIQdJ8

Holy smokes. You are not exaggerating. I love it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

HUGE HUGE fan of Princess Makers like Vlad the Impaler and Long Live the Queen, not sure how to get more of that sort of "build a person and solve problems using that build" without going complete anime. Not interested in Visual Novels unless they're like Choice of Games's stuff with significant stats and systems under the hood.

Have you played Academagia? I'd consider it basically the ultimate form of one of these games. It simulates a year a wizard school, you get to pick a house and classes and a background and a familiar and all of that and then go on adventures. There's also like 100+ skills you can raise that unlock new actions and new places and ways to spend your time that unlock new bonuses, spells you can cast with various effects, and there are also adventures you can go on where if you manage to pass several skill checks you can get super-cool bonuses. It's pretty much all text and a lot of text, though, and there's an enormous density of systems to learn on your first playthrough, but if you go to classes during the week, study a bit, and keep your health and stress in check, you can't really completely lose.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Zetsubou's list o' games that he thinks are rather neat that are also on sale RIGHT NOW! - part 1

140 - $0.99 (-80%) - minimalistic rhythm platformer - short, however
100% Orange Juice - $1.74 (-75%) - a fun multiplayer board game
Antichamber - $4.99 (-75%) - first-person-mindfuck puzzler
Artificial Defense - $0.59 (-80%) - electronica-themed TD game
Bad Mojo Redux - $1.49 (-75%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka
Battle Ranch: Pigs vs Plants - $0.49 (-75%) - plants vs zombies with the serial numbers filed off. this is not a bad thing
Battlepaths - $0.50 (-83%) - decent top-down dungeon-crawler
Bionic Dues - $2.49 (-75%) - tactical squad-based roguelike
Blood and Bacon - $0.49 (-51%) - the best shooting-pigs-till-they-explode game of all time
CAPSULE - $1.99 (-60%) - retro-computing-aesthetic floating-in-a-tin-can simulator
Caves of Qud - $13.49 (-10%) - the POWERTHIRST of roguelikes
Closure - $1.99 (-80%) - puzzle game based on "if it isn't illuminated, it isn't there"
Color Assembler - $0.79 (-90%) - abstract puzzle game about mixing colors in the right order
Craft the World - $3.79 (-80%) - side-on DF-alike
Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal - $4.94 (-67%) - sci-fi TDalike about stopping a relentless mass of blue ooze
Crimsonland - $4.89 (-65%) - classic twin-stick shooter from early 2000s
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - $4.94 (-67%) - great tower-defense RPG
Desktop Dungeons - $7.49 (-50%) - puzzle game disguised as a roguelike
Disgaea PC - $3.74 (-75%) - rule the netherworld by throwing exploding penguins, dood
Divide By Sheep - $1.24 (-75%) - a cute game, try to get the right number of sheep onto the pontoon so they can float to safety
Dungeon Manager ZV - $4.99 (-50%) - Dungeon Keeper by way of Football Manager
Duskers - $9.99 (-50%) - tense command-line driven space survival
Eador: Genesis - $0.59 (-90%) - strategy game along the line of the old HoMM games, with a looooong main campaign

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 3, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Oh hey, anyone know any good co-op games for 5 people minimum?

I can find loads of good ones for four people, but 5 is way more difficult.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hey I wanted to thank everyone, I've moved Prey and Hollow Knight to the top of my list.

Zetsubou-san posted:

I also wanted to let Zetsubo know that not only did I play NaissancE, but I hated it so much that I outright removed it from my library afterwards.

quote:

Shigeru Miyamoto once was asked the secret of how he made Super Mario Bros. so great. He said, "When your game is about jumping, you make sure the basic act of jumping feels great."

Naissance is a walking simulator. And I **love** Walking Simulators. Gone Home, Firewatch, all the minimal-input Telltale Games you can find - sign me up! But they failed to learn the lesson Miyamoto was teaching.

You're dumped into a dark hallway after a spooky techno-smoke-monster makes you fall. OK, this is great. I can work with this. Then you do a little traversal following a glowing orb. Alright, that's a fine tutorial, we're 10 minutes in, I'm on board. Then we get to "jumping in the dark."

Oh boy. Does this game ever go off the rails once you have to navigate first-person jumping puzzles with an anemic midget apparently unable to clear, climb or navigate anything. Just moving around feels miserable, glacial, and boring. Then you miss a jump. So now you get to do EVERYTHING over again. Once you make it to the end of a hallway that requires you either

a) guess you need to turn left, duck, walk straight for some distance, then turn right to see your glowing floating breadcrumb and walk into the next room

or b) turn your Gamma up to 4 so you can see what the hell is going on

Oh, and the next room has a light-pulse that is literally blinding (like a flashbang that lasts five+ seconds) that you need to hustle out of the room while the door (that you can't see because of the flashbang) is open.

Once you're out, you get a long hallway. At one end: nothing at all! At the other: a cryptic unclimbable puzzle that you're supposed to just walk around.

There's more climbing and jumping, all with impossible-to-see darkness or edge-obliterating light, none of it fun or interesting. Smoke monster shows up? Any sort of environmental world-building? NOPE. Just Na'vi taking some midnight shifts at the world's worst Xen level manufacturing plant.

I hate hate hate hate hate this game. Do not play it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hey how is the translation on Gujian3?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shrecknet posted:

Hey I wanted to thank everyone, I've moved Prey and Hollow Knight to the top of my list.

This is an acceptable compromise.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

fair enough

I was also going to recommend Styx: Master of Shadows as a stealth game, but sneaky goblin steampunk might fall under your "no fantasy" requirement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zetsubou-san posted:

I was also going to recommend Styx: Master of Shadows as a stealth game, but sneaky goblin steampunk might fall under your "no fantasy" requirement.
It's a game that has some issues, but when it's fun, it's pretty fun.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Hollandia posted:

Does Raft work on Mac? Store page looks like that’s a no.

Sadly, no. The early versions on itch.io did, but they stopped supporting the Mac version preeeeetty quickly.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Thanks for the suggestion guys, looks like I'll go with DemonCrawl for my insomnia, which I'll pick up exactly right after the Humble Monthly drops tomorrow (err today, 3:30am... gently caress me!), in case you know, DemonCrawl's in there (just kidding it wont) but maybe something else will, that fits my needs exactly, so who knows.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

sauer kraut posted:

I don't remember the tutorial or whether it limits where you can travel at first, but Odysseys map.. small :aaa:
If you started in Sparta and let your horse auto gallop to Amphipolis, pretty sure that would take like an hour. Then there's the other half of the map with a hundred islands.

Yeah, Odyssey starts you off on Cephalonia which is tutorial island in the same way that White Orchard is the tutorial area in Witcher 3. Then you can go to Ithaca, then you realise that you have the entirety of Greece at your disposal. All of it, the mainland, all the island groups and Macedonia too, and there is a lot of stuff to do everywhere.
The map is huge.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I saw the steam sale and noticed Deep Rock Galactic was on discount. Having watched streamers played it, it looked fun and decided to pick it up but then realised I have no friends. Do any goons play it or am I poo poo out of luck?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sauer kraut posted:

I tried that once, it's more like 20 minutes. The map is crazy huge, but when you make a point of travelling from one end of it to the other as quickly as you can, you can tell that it's somehow still not quite as big as it seems. It's about a nine and a half mile-sized on every side.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Disposable Scud posted:

Yeah, that's the one! I am honestly amazed that anyone remembered this correctly- thanks! (I have no clue how this even got in my library, but I'm always up for a good space hulk ripoff.)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Zetsubou-san posted:

Zetsubou's list o' games that he thinks are rather neat that are also on sale RIGHT NOW! - part 1
Antichamber - $4.99 (-75%) - first-person-mindfuck puzzler

Antichamber is still by an enormous margin the best puzzle game I've ever played. Absolutely everyone should play it, unless you're colorblind I guess.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hub Cat posted:

Hey how is the translation on Gujian3?

Passable.

It's not 100% coherent, but you can get the general gist of things, and there's nothing really awful about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zetsubou-san posted:

If you're looking for stealth, how about Aragami? It's fantasy Japan but it has a fairly fresh take on the mythology. It's co-op but perfectly playable (and fun) in single player.
I'm honestly not sure why was it forgotten like that.

Helith posted:

Yeah, Odyssey starts you off on Cephalonia which is tutorial island in the same way that White Orchard is the tutorial area in Witcher 3. Then you can go to Ithaca, then you realise that you have the entirety of Greece at your disposal. All of it, the mainland, all the island groups and Macedonia too, and there is a lot of stuff to do everywhere.
It's a minor quip of mine, but it doesn't actually have all of Greece, the most obvious omission being Mount Olympos (which should be just a tiiiiiiny bit north from the northern end of the map). Now there's a wasted opportunity.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 3, 2020

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

Antichamber is still by an enormous margin the best puzzle game I've ever played. Absolutely everyone should play it, unless you're colorblind I guess.

I’ll vouch for this too. It blew away my expectations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Just noticed Warhammer Mechanicus is more than 50% off; at :10bux: this game is an absolute steal. It's XCOM (the good new kind) but with legitimately good, funny writing that nails the bleakly humorous death-cult that is the 40k universe. It's just a joy to play and looks gorgeous. Strong, strong recommend.

It rules, one of the missions has you stealing extensive Necron miniatures collection

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No idea if it's been brought up already, but it bears repeating either way.

The new Homeworld game, which is apparently rather good, is 90% off.

Same for the remastered collection.

You can also get a bundle with all three of them for stupid cheap: 5.83€ or whatever in your local currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estel
May 4, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

dark horse option: My Lovely Daughter

:siren: After checking what the sale price of NaissanceE was these days, found out it is now FREE :siren:

Shrecknet posted:

I also wanted to let Zetsubo know that not only did I play NaissancE, but I hated it so much that I outright removed it from my library afterwards.

I'm just trying the game and it's true the first "level" or chapter can be a bit confusing because you are not really sure where the game wants you to go, until you notice it and it's evident where you have to go. Most of the time is following lights or waiting for a light to show you the way. In the second "level" you are in a place that reminds me of Tsutomu Nihei's work and it's great.

If anyone wants to try it but gets frustrated by the following the lights part of the beginning watch a youtube video of the first level to find where you have to go and continue to the next part.