Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

:neckbeard: my Cartographers mini-expansion + promo cards arrived!

Oooh. Cartographers hasn't left our dining room table since we got it. I'm not sure why I like it so much more than Railroad Ink, but I do. I think it's at least partly due to the theme; at the end of Railroad Ink, you've got a sprawling, lifeless intersection of roadways and highways that reminds me of what huge swaths of the country look like. With Cartographers, you have happy little ponds, and farms, and cute little demons attacking your houses.

Speaking of, 30 Rails is a great print-and-play version of the "train based roll and write." It may even be the first one. You roll dice to choose grid location and railway type, and score points for connecting stations to one another and/or to a mine you place at game start. Works great on Zoom for remote gaming, and you don't need a color printer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Sprawlopolis is available directly from publisher, which is linked on the BGG page. The expansions are not sadly, but base game does a lot.

And yeah laminator plus markers for the roll and writes is powerful. Welcome To may be a little difficult because of the size of the numbers, but still worth a try

All the expansions are available on the website too! If you're buying it fresh, you can get them all bundled for $20 (you just need to choose the "version" from the drop-down menu", but they're also available separately (Wrecktaur, Points of Interest, & Construction Zones, and Beaches).

It looks like shipping is 16 USD to Australia, but there's also a PnP version if that's a bit too rich!

On Cartographers - keeping your old maps and trying to make new ones fancier is half the fun! If you think you'll do more than 100 person-plays, just get the extra pad or use some graph paper when you run out :)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Cartographers - there is a good printer-friendly version of the sheet available on BGG.

Carcassonne - I'm regularly playing this with a lot of the expansions. We do skip some elements as not everything works well with two players. Some favourite (mini)expansions/elements, apart from the main ones like Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals:

- Gold mines (10 tiles that, when drawn, require the player to place a gold piece on that tile, and one adjacent tile. When completing a feature on those tiles you get the gold pieces. The more you have, the more each piece is worth at final scoring)
- Vineyards (any monastery scores +3 points for each adjacent vineyard)
- Hills (slide a tile under the hill tile without looking at it (meaning you can never be 100% sure that a given tile will still be drawn - it could be under a hill. Also meeples placed on a feature on a hill break ties for ownership)
- River
- Circus (when a circus tile is drawn, put a points token on it facedown (1-7pts). Gain these points for each meeple adjacent to the current circus tile when the next circus tile is drawn)
- Bridges (each player gets three - allows a road to cross over another tile as long as the edges are grass. This allows a bit more flexibility for roads and has an interesting impact on meadows/farmers)
- Barns (each player gets one - can be placed only on an intersection of four grass corners. Removes farmers (they score points) and is worth 4pts per completed city at end scoring)

e: Bazaars are quite fun as well. After placing one, draw tiles equal to nr of players. Players then bid for the tiles using points (though we just give the next player first pick as an alternative).

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 2, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Stickman posted:

All the expansions are available on the website too! If you're buying it fresh, you can get them all bundled for $20 (you just need to choose the "version" from the drop-down menu", but they're also available separately (Wrecktaur, Points of Interest, & Construction Zones, and Beaches).

It looks like shipping is 16 USD to Australia, but there's also a PnP version if that's a bit too rich!

On Cartographers - keeping your old maps and trying to make new ones fancier is half the fun! If you think you'll do more than 100 person-plays, just get the extra pad or use some graph paper when you run out :)

Hmm, yeah that's not a bad deal, considering the alternative - very tempting! I'm so torn between getting Sprawlopolis and Cartographers now - the drawing/map-making aspect of Cartographers is quite appealing to me though, (especially as you mentioned, trying to take the time to improve on your maps, each time you play) especially since I haven't heard of that kind of mechanic before, until you guys mentioned it over the last couple of days. I've found a deal on ebay that's...not awful (especially compared to some of the other options, that are more than twice the amount - around $100AUD!) so I might need to go for Cartographers now, due to the time-sensitivity of the deal, then come back to the Sprawlopolis+expansions pack later on, once I've gotten some use out of the current batch of games I've bought*.

EDIT: gently caress it, bought Cartographers. drat, I really need to keep away from this thread! :D At least I'm starting to play board games with others more frequently this year, due to COVID being an almost-non-issue down here in SA. These solo games will be good though. I think both this and Sprawlopolis will be great to play - I'll need to wait a while before I can justify getting Sprawlopolis too though, heh. Thanks again for the suggestions though - even if I'm shelling out cash, as a direct result! :v:

*Seven games, at this stage - or eight, if/when I crack and buy Cartographers. My new Flysta (4x2 version of the Kallax) shelf had heaps of space before, but won't for long! :negative:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 2, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh you're Aussie, that makes things easy.

Punch in the games you want to buy here:
https://www.boardgameoracle.com/

Enjoy those deep discounts.

Game stores I personally use regularly are:
https://gamesempire.com.au/
https://www.gameology.com.au/

At the end of the day if you're trying to save a dollar, Amazon actually helps a lot with international orders if you have Prime.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Amazon currently has Cartographers for $38.50
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07PDNNLGR/?m=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&tag=boardgameor0d-22

There's a $35 option from another store, which I've never used, where users have reported issues.

Looks like there's stock shortages about (Hopefully cause it's good and people are buying it)

If you like you can also buy direct from the publishers store
https://thunderworksgames.bigcartel.com/product/cartographers-a-roll-player-tale-shipped
Comes with the Skill mini-expansion as a pack in.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Oh you're Aussie, that makes things easy.

Punch in the games you want to buy here:
https://www.boardgameoracle.com/

Enjoy those deep discounts.

Game stores I personally use regularly are:
https://gamesempire.com.au/
https://www.gameology.com.au/

At the end of the day if you're trying to save a dollar, Amazon actually helps a lot with international orders if you have Prime.

Infinitum posted:

Amazon currently has Cartographers for $38.50
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07PDNNLGR/?m=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&tag=boardgameor0d-22

There's a $35 option from another store, which I've never used, where users have reported issues.

Looks like there's stock shortages about (Hopefully cause it's good and people are buying it)

If you like you can also buy direct from the publishers store
https://thunderworksgames.bigcartel.com/product/cartographers-a-roll-player-tale-shipped
Comes with the Skill mini-expansion as a pack in.

Oh thank god, the deal on Cartographers that I got is sliiiiiiightly better, (I clicked 'pay' mere seconds before I saw your post - what a fright!) since it was The Gamesmen via ebay with a coupon and free shipping. Phew!
Thank you for those links though - I greatly appreciate it! I wasn't aware of boardgameoracle - that's a great resource. I normally buy off Gameology too, but I'll have to keep an eye on GamesEmpire, if they're good. And yeah, seems like nobody has it in-stock, so hopefully that means it's getting popular!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Everyone should have a laminator. The amazon basics laminator is the one I have, and I've run dozens of sheets through it with zero issues.

100 pack of 3mm sheets and a 100 pack of 5mm sheets aren't too bad on top of it. 3mm for floppier pieces, 5mm for when you want it stiffer (don't do it).

I laminate player aids, roll and write sheets, stocks in Chicago Express, just basically any paper component could get a little upgrade with one.

To go along with a laminator, I use this $12 corner rounder that has three size settings and chops through lamination easily: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076FJ7SS/
A corner rounder is useful for when you laminate multiple things on one sheet and cut them to size, you don't want sharp edges. Rounding it gives it a nicer look and feel.

Amazon laminator for $25: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI5QWS/
Amazon 100x3mm sheets for $13: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWU3HNY/
Some well rated 100x5mm sheets for $17: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N5422OK/
A slide cutter to easily measure and cut perfectly straight lines through these, like $10 for a knockoff of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SLC3IU/

I also got some of these index card sized lamination pouches, but I haven't actually used them for anything yet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QBPCH6/

You can just pick 3mm or 5mm, you don't necessarily need both, but I do recommend a slide cutter and corner rounder to make the end products nicer.

Edit: It's also been useful for my kids. Print off some worksheets, laminate them, and then you have some weekly practice things. Here, trace your ABC's. Here, do these simple math problems. Here's some lines to write some stuff on. Here's part of a scene that you can add onto over and over again.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 2, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Safety Biscuits posted:

How much table space does it need? We're probably playing it on Saturday and I'm afraid teaching is going to be a huge slog, too.

Not totally sure because we played on Vassal but I think it isn't bad based on the guy who taught us who owns it. Way less than something like Origins because there's not really a big board you are dealing with and there are less cards that are always up for sale. Your tableau could get fairly large but I'd be astounded if it became a hassle. Check out the BGG pics and see if you'll have any issues.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cartographers is ~$20 almost everywhere including Amazon normally if you look at the price history.

Edit: Oh sorry you were talking AUS. I’ll leave this here for US shoppers.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 2, 2020

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

Just replayed Brass: Birmingham and my goodness it's a brain burny little exercise. Has anyone ever tried to go full coal/iron/development and just fast forward to the best buildings?

Brass strategy doesn't really work like that. Putting down resource buildings is a tactical decision. You want to do it when and where you can immediately use the resources yourself, or immediately fill the foreign market tracks, or force someone else to use your resources, or be in a good spot at the beginning of the rail era.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ravendas posted:

Everyone should have a laminator. The amazon basics laminator is the one I have, and I've run dozens of sheets through it with zero issues.

This is the laminator I have, no issues at all, it's great. I laminate everything.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
This is my laminator. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I've wanted to get one for a while but for some reason never pulled the trigger even though I'd be laminating up a storm with it! A storm!

It's was great to make copies of the Kemet tile/divine intervention guides and laminate those. I'd consider doing one for cyclades but the info is right there on the player screens even if you need to learn Cathalaglyphics to understand them.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

All these goons, with houses with room for large print and crafts material! Someday I too shall have space for even a basic printer.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Not totally sure because we played on Vassal but I think it isn't bad based on the guy who taught us who owns it. Way less than something like Origins because there's not really a big board you are dealing with and there are less cards that are always up for sale. Your tableau could get fairly large but I'd be astounded if it became a hassle. Check out the BGG pics and see if you'll have any issues.

Potentially five tableaux per player seems like an incredible amount of table space. Ironically the cratons themselves are pretty little!

Anyway the answer's a lemon, I get to teach Fire in the Lake instead. Megafauna some other time.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Anyone in this thread know where I can get a copy of the king's dilemma?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Anyone here with strong opinions about Troyes? I've been wanting a new game that's a bit more interactive than my usuals (Concordia and Castles of Burgundy being my most played at the moment) and it looks like a pretty good fit, but I'm happy to entertain anything that fits into the general category of "Euro game that is less complex than doing your taxes and isn't multiplayer solitaire"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone here with strong opinions about Troyes? I've been wanting a new game that's a bit more interactive than my usuals (Concordia and Castles of Burgundy being my most played at the moment) and it looks like a pretty good fit, but I'm happy to entertain anything that fits into the general category of "Euro game that is less complex than doing your taxes and isn't multiplayer solitaire"

I like Troyes, but im not sure it's less complex than doing your taxes? It has a lot of little moving parts so it can get a bit confusing about what you should be doing. And then someone buys your only good dice which can be pretty bad feels.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The sealed copy of Sushi Go Party sitting on my desk is taunting me.. I'm sure my friend won't mind if I crack the seal...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Aramoro posted:

I like Troyes, but im not sure it's less complex than doing your taxes? It has a lot of little moving parts so it can get a bit confusing about what you should be doing. And then someone buys your only good dice which can be pretty bad feels.

I was thinking about the fairly heavy end of the spectrum like Brass with that comment, I'm specifically aiming for something more complex and nasty than castles etc. so the conflict is a plus.

Almost all of my games are guys having happy fun times together and the one random time when you blow up all of someone's plants in TM or whatever just makes that one person specifically feel bad, wheras a game where you're entirely expected to shamelessly bribe everyone else's dice to do stuff for you all the time sounds fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RabidWeasel posted:

One of my favorite midweight euros.The dice drafting with player economy (not closed, there is a regular influx and inflation) makes for some great interaction and racing. You can even include one of the expansion modules if you have 4 copies of a different dice color in case you wanted to give each player more control over their own assets.

Some other recommendations of similar complexity that have varying levels of euro interaction/meanness/economy/upkeep: The great zimbabwe, Imperial (do not use the swiss/investor cards), Stephenson's Rocket, food chain magnate :getin:.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

I was thinking about the fairly heavy end of the spectrum like Brass with that comment, I'm specifically aiming for something more complex and nasty than castles etc. so the conflict is a plus.

Almost all of my games are guys having happy fun times together and the one random time when you blow up all of someone's plants in TM or whatever just makes that one person specifically feel bad, wheras a game where you're entirely expected to shamelessly bribe everyone else's dice to do stuff for you all the time sounds fun.

You will definitely enjoy Troyes then. The game is highly interactive and often quite mean on the surface, with some pressure vents in place so doing "mean" things to a single player doesn't get out of hand.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Cartographers is getting a sequel! :siren:

:stare:

Saw this on BGG

quote:

Cartographers Heroes will be a standalone expansion with new scoring cards, discovery cards, and ambush cards that you can play on their own or mix with the components of the original game for greater variety from game to game. What's more, players will discover heroes as they map the landscape, and these heroes can help destroy monsters.

Cartographers Heroes will be hitting Kickstarter in Q4 2020, along with three map packs that can serve as expansions for either standalone base game: Map Pack 1: Afffril: Plane of Knowledge, Map Pack 2: Nebblis: Plane of Flame, and Map Pack 3: Undercity: Depths of Sabek. Each map pack has a unique map, mechanisms unique to itself, and a few new cards themed to this setting.

Yeah so.. like.. whenever that launches I am ALL in.
Cartographers is def a strong contender for GOTY for me atm... and it's just MORE Cartographers? Hype hype hype.

-----------------------------

Reason I found that in the first place as I was checking out Roll Player Adventures on KS. I REALLY want to back it, but I'm stretched thin atm and a bunch of pledge managers just hit and wiped out my slush funds.
Hopefully it'll be up on their webstore later so I can buy it from them direct.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 3, 2020

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I like Cartographers (and Railroad Ink and Welcome To) as much as the next person but the trend of giant roll and write Kickstarters bums me out. Partially because I bought into the Welcome To hype and backed the reprint Kickstarter post-SUSD review, but it just seems so unnecessary and misses the point of a low cost easy to enjoy game. I get that it’s a pretty easy way for publishers to make a buck, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Breadnought posted:

I like Cartographers (and Railroad Ink and Welcome To) as much as the next person but the trend of giant roll and write Kickstarters bums me out. Partially because I bought into the Welcome To hype and backed the reprint Kickstarter post-SUSD review, but it just seems so unnecessary and misses the point of a low cost easy to enjoy game. I get that it’s a pretty easy way for publishers to make a buck, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Welcome To.. was cheap though? and comes in a small box, lots of sheets on the pad. Not sure whats to hate there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I know I'm personally hyping it up, but it just sounds like it'll be a straight up sequel + a couple of map packs.

"More Cartographers, but better options" is a solid sell for me.

My only 'complaint' about the base game is each of the tile sets only has 4 cards. So you see a lot of the same combos often. Going the living card game route of "build the deck you want" for a game I already adore sounds like a fantastic iteration on the base premise.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Midgetskydiver posted:

Anyone in this thread know where I can get a copy of the king's dilemma?

Not in the UK, that's for drat sure.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

For more interactive euros of similar weight as Concordia and CoB and very simple rulesets: El Grande and Bus! Both can be taught in less than 10 min.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Welcome To.. was cheap though? and comes in a small box, lots of sheets on the pad. Not sure whats to hate there.

I didn’t say I hate it. My final pledge amount was $86, which I only have my own dumb rear end to blame, and the retail box is a perfectly good value. That doesn’t stop me from wishing the new Railroad Ink KS didn’t have/need an $85(+shipping) all in pledge. Obviously up to the purchaser to make their own value judgement, and for me it doesn’t hold up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Great video review of Pan Am by Game Geek Boy Agree with all of his points.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Hansa Teutonica! The big box version with all expansions is coming out this year, and I believe (probably read in this very thread) that the box isn't gratuitously oversized.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Sadly after slipping on our masks and venturing out into the pandemic our local Target was out of Pan Am and Jaws of the Lion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mellifluous posted:

Hansa Teutonica! The big box version with all expansions is coming out this year, and I believe (probably read in this very thread) that the box isn't gratuitously oversized.

Yeah HT's big box is only slightly thicker than the normal box (which can fit everything in with about zero free space).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ropes4u posted:

Sadly after slipping on our masks and venturing out into the pandemic our local Target was out of Pan Am and Jaws of the Lion.

Always order online for pickup with Target. Way less exposure and you’ll know they have it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Anyone here played Karak? I'm looking for a good kids game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Always order online for pickup with Target. Way less exposure and you’ll know they have it.

Always do this for every store and don't go anywhere without the option, until the case rate drops significantly.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Here’s a weird question. I backed Railroad Ink Challenge at £18. I decided to back out. Is it normal for a company to allow me to give that credit to someone? Or would you just have to have the person wanting the credit PayPal you the rest of the money (shipping/add’l stuff) and you adjust shipping location?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

from what I've seen with people on BGG who want to transfer KSes, it's the latter - the new buyer pays you, the backer, and you adjust the shipping location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anyone want £18 worth of Railroad Ink pledge I guess?