Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
What the heck is Clayview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fecha posted:

What the heck is Clayview

the two options are that this version of ed's mom is from an alternate universe where that's the name of the town instead of mayview, or her memory's leaving her

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

flatluigi posted:

the two options are that this version of ed's mom is from an alternate universe where that's the name of the town instead of mayview, or her memory's leaving her

I'm thinking it's this. She got the town name wrong, and Spender's name wrong, which is why he reacted the way he did when he heard "Agent Summer".

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It wouldn't be the first time somebody got Mr. Splendid's name wrong.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Dear god, that's terrifying to consider because both options are bad She could be a fake trying to "hack" its way into the dream world by prolonging a "connection" like a smith agent and slipped up at the last minute with memories that are too fake. Or the good doctor is so addled by her stay in this other dimension that she is out of sync with time and events.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

I'm leaning towards that she's losing her memory. Not just because she's stated it feels like she's been where she is for a very long time, but Spender's reaction to "Agent Summers" seemed like he was realizing something that upset him. I think whoever Agent Summers is, they're dead or absent by this time, and this is when it clicks for Rick that Gwen's forgetting everything.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

cropoval posted:

I'm leaning towards that she's losing her memory. Not just because she's stated it feels like she's been where she is for a very long time, but Spender's reaction to "Agent Summers" seemed like he was realizing something that upset him. I think whoever Agent Summers is, they're dead or absent by this time, and this is when it clicks for Rick that Gwen's forgetting everything.
Yeah, this is my take, too. Especially because he's- well, he can be an idiot, but not in lack of intelligence, and I think this is him realizing that if she's deteriorated so much in 3 years, by the time he manages to 'fix things' there might not be anything left of her to rescue.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aren't they in a dream, like, right now? Dreams are subject to thoughts, even bad thoughts. Bad thoughts manifest as nightmarish creatures. And Agent Walker mentioned that it wasn't "stable" a few pages back.

Immediately as Rick has the bad reaction to "Agent Summers" the thing in the final panel appears and attempts to lunge at the group. I say "attempts" because it seems like it's being held back by the walls of the dream-world (which we can see on the previous pages to be both rainbow-swirl-colored and vaguely cavern-like).

I wonder if Rick's emotional reaction is what spawned/attracted/summoned the creature that's attacking them right now. It's either from behind the monstrous locked door adjacent to this room, or it's from whatever world Dr. Burger is currently in. If it's the latter I expect we'll see her vanish as she tries to lure it away / fight it off.

edit: I wonder if Agent Summers is the mentor Rick mentions here in panel 3?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I guess Summers is probably just a common name for like...fiction, in general, but I could have sworn we knew a ____ Summers mentioned somewhere in here.

Maybe im just thinking of Agent Day

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

rannum posted:

I guess Summers is probably just a common name for like...fiction, in general, but I could have sworn we knew a ____ Summers mentioned somewhere in here.

Maybe im just thinking of Agent Day

I had to scour the comic because I swore Agent Day was names Summers but no it turns out I'm a dumb idiot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Day is younger than Rick and Mina so she wouldn't be mentioned here anyway.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I can't believe Ed is the fourth (fifth?) Summers brother.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

flatluigi posted:

Those aren't the only options. For all we know there's a secret clay town hidden in the caverns beneath Mayview or something. And whatever happened to Agent Summers may have happened in the three years since Dr. Burger was trapped in the other dimension.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Clayview is the actual name of the town but some weird spirit power made everyone in the world remember it as Mayview, Dr Burger was unaffected because she was in the dream, clearly.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The town is mayview, the lake is clayview

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

The town is mayview, the lake is clayview

I think it's more of a Beach City/Ocean Town thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Clayview is her Polandball OC.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

IUG posted:

I'm thinking it's this. She got the town name wrong, and Spender's name wrong, which is why he reacted the way he did when he heard "Agent Summer".
Has there been anyone named Winters in the comic?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

awesome looking new page

so much to enjoy and dissect here. Texas’ spirit power in action, the monster seeming to say “look at me”, the thing in the lake... which looks very similar to this.
I long assumed some awful apparition got trapped in him during the lake incident. He’s wearing his sunglasses at a time they’re definitely not necessary, which would suggest either that he’s already containing the tentacle thing in him which is not this current threat, or that he’s just a dork.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fecha posted:

He’s wearing his sunglasses at a time they’re definitely not necessary, which would suggest either that he’s already containing the tentacle thing in him which is not this current threat, or that he’s just a dork.

Or he just wanted Lucy with him in this dream.

But yeah, that lake monster definitely looks like it might be The Thing, especially with the spirals around it

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 10, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean

Given the theory that 'the thing' is in pieces it could very well be both the lake thing, this thing they have sealed in the dream and Scrapdragon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love Boss Leader's crazy technicolor monster blast

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Boss Leader's orb energy or whatever looks very similar in composition to the monster door we saw earlier. I think it's a safe deduction that the door itself was created by Boss Leader to seal whatever it is into the chamber.

Given that that door is adjacent to the dream they entered, and that B-L said the dreams were too close together, I think whatever's inside the monster door is what's trying to break through here.

The spirit/monster looks rather feminine in the second panel. I wonder if it's not someone we've seen already.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Boss Leader's orb energy or whatever looks very similar in composition to the monster door we saw earlier. I think it's a safe deduction that the door itself was created by Boss Leader to seal whatever it is into the chamber.

Given that that door is adjacent to the dream they entered, and that B-L said the dreams were too close together, I think whatever's inside the monster door is what's trying to break through here.

The spirit/monster looks rather feminine in the second panel. I wonder if it's not someone we've seen already.

Doesn't Boss Leader create the whole dream world? It would make sense if she fought with the same material it's made out of.

That feminine form makes me wonder if the monster has anything to do with Doorman and Forge's goddess.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1281513649304027137

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:monocle:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Nobody going to comment on Spencer's PTSD flashback?

e: I'm assuming time travel is involved here because I swear those comments weren't there before

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 11, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

do you mean aside from the people commenting on it?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I know this is a nitpick but Walker's power word balloon being the word "Sound!" with a big NO sign over it really bothers me. It could have been the little speaker icon that pretty much everyone is familiar with at this point with a big NO sign over it instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fortis posted:

I know this is a nitpick but Walker's power word balloon being the word "Sound!" with a big NO sign over it really bothers me. It could have been the little speaker icon that pretty much everyone is familiar with at this point with a big NO sign over it instead.
I think the implication is that the effect is happening over him saying the word sound. Like, for example, if the word blurred into static as he was saying it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

PMush Perfect posted:

I think the implication is that the effect is happening over him saying the word sound. Like, for example, if the word blurred into static as he was saying it.

Oh, yeah, I guess I never considered that he might just nullify things in general. I guess we don't know enough about what he does yet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fortis posted:

Oh, yeah, I guess I never considered that he might just nullify things in general. I guess we don't know enough about what he does yet.

We know he's the one who created the Mayview barrier per Zack's tweet above (unless Zack is being deliberately misleading!), so he's able to selectively block things out (such as, for example, advances in fashion) with his bubbles.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Walker is a land of contrasts. On the one hand, his outfit, 40 years out of date. But on the other, already cancelling sound like this.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Update!

richard the door is this way what are you DOING

Mina kind of reminds me of Isabel in that last panel, not sure why.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Black spectral energy, eh?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's actually very common.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
arm yourself with terminology, child -- or how to precisely answer a question without answering it because I doubt she was taught what a wight is.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

A wight being an undead in most stories, I wonder if this means we’re getting yet another faction / genre of paranatural forces. Of course, it could be a term applied to spirit stuff in this story since I don’t know how a regular ol’ animated corpse could get into the dreamscape and do such weird things to its shape. Unless it’s asleep lol

Also “questions’ answer” is interesting phrasing there. The vice principal is related to this thing?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
While it has come to meant undead in pop culture since Tolkien, originally the word simply meant basically "person, being, thing". Which makes the whole exchange funny: "what is that thing?" "it is a thing, so now you know"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

While it has come to meant undead in pop culture since Tolkien, originally the word simply meant basically "person, being, thing". Which makes the whole exchange funny: "what is that thing?" "it is a thing, so now you know"

its a thing, and that answers all your questions, have fun dont die kids!