Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

1. I’m leaning towards C, but we would likely see Barea and he’d pull 15-25 points out of his rear end.

2. Extend Floyd 4 years

3. I will always be on the Delon retires a Honu wagon. 2 more years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 12, Part 4, 2027-2028, End of Regular Season

Since I had to pace my updates a little different than usual, I'm gonna include the end of the season and awards here, and do the playoffs and start of next off-season separately. At the deadline, I extend William Floyd for 4 years, starting at about 22.1 and winding up at about 28 with his Bird salary increases. (+8% a year..... This seems like a lot, but five years from now, I assume it really won't be, just eyeballing other contracts around the league.) Delon I convince to sign a flat contract, for two more years at about 7.5 rather than giving him big raises as he ages up.

The guys I stuffed into the all-star game did well. Collin Sexton very nearly wins the MVP for the game. Giovenco Paciani wins his fourth consecutive Dunk Contest.

Since it was the only package with two votes, I traded for Boyd Johnson and Frankie Lambert. There were some other trades this season. Former Honu Ralph Miller got traded twice, but he never played a game for intermediary team. I imagine the Damian Lillard Pistons and Hornets pictures that follow will resemble the sadness of that Photo of Hakeem on the Raptors facing off against the Orlando Magic's Patrick Ewing. Don't search it. It's sad.
Miller's been having a pretty good NBA career, though.

The Celtics selected yet another point guard this season, making three in two drafts so their move of one to the Heat for Jordan Bell is another move that improves them significantly. Astute readers will realize the Celtics briefly had a guy with the first name "Boyd" on the team and a guy with the last name "Boyd" on the team. On a random note, the Boston Celtics once had a player named Allan Ray, who decided to play in Italy because the NBA wanted to pay him less than a million dollars a season to pick up his contract, and he understandably told them to go gently caress themselves. And while I'm very cool with the player doing what's in their best interests, I'll never forgive him for leaving the very same offseason that the Celtics acquired Ray Allen. It was so close.

In his first game as the main Swingman in Honolulu, Windler answers the call by putting up a career best 32 points.

During a game against our thread rivals, I receive some very concerning news:

I'm suddenly kicking myself for trading Castro. Nonetheless, Donta Greene begins stepping into Francis' role, and for the most part, performs fairly well. I rotate random minutes between the newly acquired Lambert and Johnson, and also Dedric Wesley. Knowing that the Honu are in trouble, our star begins stepping it up considerably.

Putting up absolutely monster numbers. Bol is bound and determined to fill in for both himself and Francis. By the time the season ends, he'll have gone from "not in MVP consideration" to third in MVP voting. He earns 2 player of the week nods in the final month and a half of regular season, as well as one player of the month.

A random game against the Thunder shows some serious scoring promise from young Dedric Wesley. 16 points in 9 minutes on 5/6 shooting. An otherwise empty scorecard, but that's 10 minutes of dominance.

The back-half of the Honu's season is practically blessed, and they finish out with a 58-24 record.

More importantly, this is about as ideal of a playoff position as we can get, after losing Bilic. The good players on Phoenix, Houston and Golden State are all either power forwards, centers, or both. Granted, losing Francis on the depth chart hurts in that respect, but both Bol and Kabengele have developed into really good defenders, and I'm much, much less afraid of anything these two teams have to throw at us than I am Luka Doncic and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

Speaking of Doncic

He's back to averaging a triple double, and wins yet another MVP award, making six total, tying him for the current NBA Record held by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Bol put up a valiant performance, but its hard to argue with those figures. If you figure adversity should factor into MVP votes at all, though, I feel like Bol was a pretty clear first choice. Doncic's backup was 1)healthy for the entire season and 2)James Harden. C'mon, selection committee.

Boston seems to have settled on this year's point guard as their point guard of the future.

Huh. Didn't even notice this, somehow.

I've noticed DPOY is the streakiest award. People seem to win it multiple times, in a row, before relinquishing the title.

Jacque Cisse was third in votes for this award. Second was Leroy Long from the Lakers, who you might have noticed I stuffed into the All-Star game.

Fraud.

All NBA1

Paciani's career is really taking off. Unlike most of the generated characters (before this coming season), he's actually an appropriate age for a 4-year player. This is a 23 year old. Since this is his second all-NBA selection on his rookie deal, he's eligible for the Super Max. If the Clippers don't offer him that contract, or match someone's offer, it'll be the single stupidest thing I have ever seen an AI team do in a basketball simulation game.

Wendell Carter Jr. is also a fraud. He gets like 16 rebounds a game, but he also plays over 40 minutes and shoots under 40%. Craig Payton is All-NBA in just his second year in the league.

All Defense First Team

Second Team

(All defense second team and the two rookie teams I accidentally skipped over, so I had to go into the league history to pull up the results. Luckily, none of the rookies required replacing.)

Rookies:

(Stelios Dourekas is 28 years old and was drafted in like, 2022. He just played in Europe and then the G-league.)

J. T. Black is such a cool name.

In injuries going into the playoffs, obviously Harry Francis is big news, the other notable injuries:

The Nets are hosed. Wil Gaines is really good, but the Knicks don't need him. Their depth is nuts. They had six players that were angry they weren't named to the All-Star team. The Coby White injury is the worst I've ever seen for damaging OVR. Not that it's a permanent decrease, but if it's indicative of how much damage could be done, that could be a career ending injury. The Hawks lose the runner up for sixth man of the year. Former #1 overall pick Anton Gornev was my pick for MIP, having finally come into his own and averaging over 18 points a game this season.

As I said, Jacque was in the running:

And here's Bol's figures from the year he had the best shot of winning MVP:

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Bol is putting the team on his back and I am here for it . Love the way this team has been constructed, ultimate small market still competing and winning against the juggernauts.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Guper posted:

Bol is putting the team on his back and I am here for it . Love the way this team has been constructed, ultimate small market still competing and winning against the juggernauts.

Two extra remarkable things about Bol. Firstly, he has to have the best or nearly the best scoring & rebounding (perhaps blocks too) per 36 minutes in the league. VSM doesn't overwork his players in the regular season, and I think the only reason that Bol's numbers aren't MVP-level is because he doesn't play 40 minutes a game like so many other superstars. Secondly, did you notice Bol's 3pt% this past season? I doubt that he takes many, but he sure makes them. Not too surprising as his late father was well above average for a big man in his era.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

Two extra remarkable things about Bol. Firstly, he has to have the best or nearly the best scoring & rebounding (perhaps blocks too) per 36 minutes in the league. VSM doesn't overwork his players in the regular season, and I think the only reason that Bol's numbers aren't MVP-level is because he doesn't play 40 minutes a game like so many other superstars. Secondly, did you notice Bol's 3pt% this past season? I doubt that he takes many, but he sure makes them. Not too surprising as his late father was well above average for a big man in his era.

He's nowhere close in rebounding, but his blocks are really good per 36. He's 5th in scoring overall and that holds that per 36, somehow, trailing Antetokuonmpo, Doncic, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, and Trae Young. As for threes.... he actually attempts 8.2 a game. We've consistently been the most dependent team in the league on three point shooting.

EDIT I actually had assumed the same thing on ppg vs per 36, so I'm as surprised as you are.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 3, 2020

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Sometimes it bothers me how the stats come out in 2k simulations, especially 3p shooting. Like if a big man shot 8 3s at 45%, the loving world would end. But nope, you have 30 guys every season shooting that well in a 2k season.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In the real world, Davis Bertans plays Power Forward, attempts 9 and hits 42 percent.

Oh god. Does this mean that the Honu are an experiment to "What if a team was built around Davis Bertans?"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JackBandit posted:

Sometimes it bothers me how the stats come out in 2k simulations, especially 3p shooting. Like if a big man shot 8 3s at 45%, the loving world would end. But nope, you have 30 guys every season shooting that well in a 2k season.

I know that the actual NBA is in a high-offence period right now, which sure beats the god-awful 90s, but the scores in this game are ridiculous. We've seen a number of scores that are All-Star game levels during the regular season, so I am not surprised that we have had MVPs scoring 40+ like they were Wilt Chamberlain with the added bonus of 10+ rebounds and assists. I used to get unrealistic scores in regulation-length non-simulated games of 2K18/19/20 and for a while I was playing shorter games, but eventually I found that lowering the game speed both made things more fun for my age-dulled reflexes and also resulted in scores that were more realistic.

My problem is that I shoot a very high percentage, but I turn the ball over too much.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I predict scoring will go down next season for a couple of reasons.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Please let there be a rule change to make full on goaltending legal. Bol will get the first 100 block game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Next update will also include a vote on the future of the League. Maybe two votes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 12, Part 5, 2027-2028, Playoffs

No Preview image for the Suns, I stupidly took one last update, decided not to edit it so I'd use it for this update, and then promptly deleted all my unedited pictures. They have Devin Booker and a scary front-court, but much less scary now that Deandre Ayton is retired (EDIT: Deandre Ayton is by no means retired. I meant to say, "On the Knicks" which, in a normal universe, same thing). Nonetheless, I'm happy about this matchup. Even though they have scary bigs, Bol and Kabengele are both really good defenders, and I'm a lot happier taking my chances with these guys and Houston than I am trying to deal with Doncic or Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. As long as I have both Bol and Kabengele, things look fine.

So of course Kabengele immediately tweaks his arm on a reckless play from Phoenix's Rok Sebic. (Sebic, the guy in the middle of this photo, started this play from behind Kabengele and the other guy. Hey, rear end in a top hat, there wasn't enough room for you.

The team collectively realizes they could suddenly be in deep, deep poo poo.

Now, a lesser team might give into despair here and just lose out and go home quietly, but not the Honu. Bol Bol decides he wants to absorb every single remaining rebound (practically) and him and Floyd go berserk for scoring. Rather than use either Wayne Hollins or Donta Greene (the latter of which gets in foul trouble), coach decides we're going small, and he slides over Dylan Windler to Power Forward for the entire second half of this game. Even more bizarre, Windler uses this position to run the Honu Offense, and posts a game-high 10 assists.

Your guess as for what happened there is as good as mine.

Well, hey, at least he has a plan for spending his time off.

For the remainder of the series, Coach puts Greene in the actual power forward position and activates Hollins as a back-up, and he also gives more minutes to Dedric Wesley, who is big and strong at the SF position. It's a scramble, and we lose the first game without Kabengele, but minutes are tweaked slightly, and the Honu roll through after just 5.

We came through for you, buddy.

Meanwhile, Atlanta sweeps Philly in what has to be one of the bigger upsets we've seen. Milwaukee also sweeps as a lower seed, but that's much less surprising given that the Nets are likely starting Kyrie Irving's actual uncle Drew, given the state of their injured list. New York also sweeps. So does Dallas. Denver, Houston, and Memphis also advance.

Hey, that's where Former Honu Miles Bridges wound up. He's actually been having a pretty decent career, finally, with the Rockets. I very nearly added him to the All-Star team. Murray's been a multiple time all-star, Jokic frequently is in the Race for the MVP before the award is given to Doncic. Also, you know how when I discuss Filimon, I mention he's always the first or second in--and then name a lot of different point guard stats? Yeah, Omar Santiago is the other guy that's first when Filimon is second/vice versa. (And was, I want to say, also waived by the idiot-Warriors) At any rate, he's not the complete player Filimon has developed into, but he's a drat solid pass-first point guard. Their two backup Centers (who also play PF) are among the best in the league. They probably have 3 of the top 15 Centers. The Rockets are pretty legit.

What's not legit is this load of horseshit. Why on earth would Houston have an A+ Home Court advantage? The Honu only have a C+ despite being one of the most successful franchise teams of all time, and also the only major sports team their city has ever had. The Rockets haven't been to the drat Finals since Hakeem. Also, if you look at their home v away records, the Rockets are actually in the bottom half of the league, historically. So, no, game, they don't have A+ Homecourt advantage, or whatever the hell bonus that might actually give them, if any.

Donta Greene accepts his larger role admirably---he's nowhere near the level of Harry Francis, but he's something different, and ultimately, he's meant to be Kabengele's backup while Francis is behind Bol. That he can play either position is the sole advantage he has over Francis, but it's a pretty big one, all things considered. He's also one of the least weird looking generated characters the Honu have. Not all of these proc-gen characters are freaks. Look at Jose de la Rosa there for the Rockets. He's downright handsome.

Whereas Frankie Lambert here is some kind of Neanderthal. Or Imass. Only, the Imass were supposedly quite muscular, and Frankie has the tiniest little noodly arms I have ever seen. (His side profile is comical) How he's such a good perimeter defender is beyond me. But he legitimately is, and I've gotten more use out of him than I have out of Boyd Johnson. Can someone not freaky looking please join this team?

....actually Dedric Wesley's kind of handsome.

You may notice I haven't mentioned much about the actual games or the Rockets.

:frogout:

The Rockets weren't much of a challenge.

Atlanta manages to continue their sweetheart run by sneaking past the Grizzlies, and New York sweeps Milwaukee, which make me a bit terrified of them. Meanwhile, I beat the Rockets fast enough that my hope is that Dallas and Denver tire each other out.

Dallas was not particularly tired after this series.

These guys again. Without Sasha Bilic's patented locking down Luka Doncic (and keeping him to "just" a 28 point triple double or whatever the gently caress), I'm a little worried. And being worried actually turns out to be the correct move. We wind up winning one game against the Mavs. I throw a bunch of different players at Doncic, and Boyd Johnson winds up being the most effective one. He was inactive for most of the playoffs, because Frankie Lambert is a bit better of a defender (quite a bit better, as it turns out), but he lacks just a little bit of muscle mass, and Doncic is pretty burly. It's enough to take Game 3 in Honolulu, but nothing further. The big difference maker in this series for the Mavs was Bradley Beal. See, I assumed that him and Harden were both grossly overpaid and would actively make the team worse, being a couple of old farts, but, as it turns out, Beal is not yet a marionette made out of a skeleton that Coach Lowe operates from the bench. He is, in fact, still really loving good at basketball, and even though I find a way to contain Doncic relatively quickly, consistently having another Maverick drop 25 points on me was a bit more than I could deal with.

New York swept Atlanta, too. In another universe, they swept Dallas and had an undefeated run through the NBA Finals. However, my game crashed in that universe so we had to re-do the playoffs that came after the Honu were eliminated, which is a real shame, because Jarrett Allen was somehow named finals MVP despite being like, the tenth guy in New York's Rotation. I really liked that universe.

Instead, this rear end in a top hat wins a third finals MVP after a grueling 7 game series where, you'll note, he was held to just 28 points. Bradley Beal must have cooked New York, too.

Nothing really exciting on the player retirement front. No jersey retirements, which... eh. I could see the Clippers retiring DeAndre, but won't lose sleep if they don't. Weirdly, Gordon Hayward isn't retired for the Jazz. In this simulated universe, after his stint with the Celtics, he went back to the Jazz and played something like seven seasons. He played 13 years for the Jazz in total, most of them in the 20ish point range, so that does seem a bit like someone that would get a jersey retired. But hey, what do I know. Also, Hayward is kind of a dipshit. I harp on jersey retirements because they're something that I have zero control over as a player. I don't get the option to retire jerseys, and I can't choose not to retire jerseys if I don't agree with the choice (Like Lebron's Lakers jersey). This hasn't really come up yet, but when Mfiondu Kabengele retires and I can't retire his jersey (because he wasn't ever an all star for us), I'm going to be furious at this stupid game. C'mon, NBA2k. Pleasantly surprise me.

The best coach of all time, David Fizdale Gregg Popovich retires. Something about a brokered Democratic Party Convention, I wasn't paying too much attention to it. Several other coaches retire. I notice during staff signing that, despite several retired players being in the pool for staff, no one has been signed before now. However, both Chris Paul and Steph Curry are given assistant coaching jobs. I forget where Curry went, but CP3 is hired on as an assistant to the Bulls, and he should really just be their head coach, because the guy he's the assistant to is worse than him in every coaching stat. Maybe he'll be promoted sooner or later. Weirdly, I think the Bulls' new coach in question was an ex-assistant from Detroit, like Sydney Lowe. So both promoted assistants in our universe came out of the Detroit System. Chicago also interviewed our Assistant Coach, Otis Newman for their head coaching job, but he chose to stay in Honolulu.

The Magic win the Lottery, and the Ravens get a much higher pick than projected. This draft promises to be pretty weak. When I was editing player ages, I kept re-rolling stories for people, so I think I inadvertently normalized the talent of the higher end draft picks. Whoooops. I'll refrain from doing that next season. As it stands, this promises to be a weird one, and I am glad that I had the Blazers pick last year instead of this year.

Then, after several quiet years without any real off-season developments, the league changes.

The big news is The Salary Cap is Back, which, yeah, owners were going just a little crazy, and this is largely a vote to save themselves. I have to assume the two "no" votes were New York and Golden State. I'm pretty sure the Warriors are now $200 million over the new cap. It's good that the CBA is up this season, whatever that means, because hopefully that stabilizes things. Otherwise, this offseason is going to be utterly crazy, because a bunch of very, very good players are going to come up for free agency, and no one will be able to afford them. The Kings might be able to afford one good player, but that's it. And hey, the Kings need it. Extending the Shot Clock six seconds and changing the 8 second violation to a 10 second violation are two big changes that will slow down the pace of the game.

With the cap back, we're actually a bit over, but that will settle after contract holds go away. We should be able to re-sign anyone we want. Which is, at the moment, Boyd Johnson. The players expiring are Boyd Johnson and Wayne Hollins. I have several players on team options, and I intend to accept all of them except for Jud Webber, who I didn't use in the playoffs at all. If both Hollins and Webber leave, that keeps my draft pool open.

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

The Honolulu Honu have the 29th and the 61st pick in the NBA Draft. I have no sense of player overall ratings, (EDITrather, I do have a sense of OVR ratings, it's just that, around 29, no one will be high enough to be in the rotation right away) so I'm going to use best potential for the 29th pick but----
QUESTION 1: Pick 29
A)Draft Best Potential Guard (PG/SG)
B)Draft Best Potential Wing (SG/SF/Smaller PFs)
C)Draft Best Potential Big (PF/C)
D)Draft for specific Skill
(Specify skill, eg strength, speed, perimeter defense, shooting, etc)
E)Draft and Stash
F)Defer the pick

QUESTION 2: Pick 61
A)Draft Best Potential Guard
B)Draft Best Potential Wing
C)Draft Best Potential Big
D)Draft for specific Skill
(Specify skill, eg strength, speed, perimeter defense, shooting, etc)
E)Draft and Stash
F)Defer the pick
G)Best Name Available
(can't promise there are good ones... I don't remember any standouts)

QUESTION 3: Sacramento
Last season, the Boston Celtics had the worst season ever, posting just two wins in 82 games. If they were any team other than the Celtics (or the Lakers, I guess), I'd have had held a vote about potentially moving them. This season, the Sacramento Kings, an historically awful, just dreadful basketball franchise posted 5 wins, but with somehow an even worse points differential than Boston had. To complicate matters, the previous lack of a salary cap has suddenly materialized back into existence, severely limiting Sacramento's chances to get good now. They're the only team with remotely any cap space, but it's still not enough to sign a really good free agent, let alone the two or more they probably need. Rumor has it that Ranadive wants out. This season, the Kings just might be on notice.
A)Move the Kings if they post less than 16 wins
B)Don't move the Kings

(You may also vote A, but with a different number of wins required.)

QUESTION 4: Talent
So, uh, there's going to be a lot of talent that is soon-to be unemployed. Like, a lot. Maybe not this season, since everyone will have their salary cap holds, so quite a few players will still get paid way less than what they want, but... not all of them. And then next season after the holds, probably worse so. There's a new CBA, whatever the gently caress that means (I honestly don't know. I can't tell. I can never tell.) which, maybe it could raise the new cap? Maybe it being "0" years to the new CBA means we already missed it? Again, who knows. The point is, though we got here unnaturally, and there's been a couple of historically god-awful teams, the NBA is suddenly too small for all of its talent. Which logically means it's time to consider expansion. If I create more expansion teams, they will not immediately enter the league, they would be another thing that the board can vote on. Remember back to the start of this thread, where the board voted against adding the Honu and the Ravens and I had to override it? Well, because the talent situation is now screwed, I was thinking this might be a good time to add one or two possible expansion franchises. They wouldn't go into effect this season, rule change votes have already been held, and they might not go into effect for years, even if they were on the table. But, I could see if folks didn't want more teams, as we're still fairly early in the thread.
A)Add one potential Expansion team to the pool
B)Add two potential Expansion teams to the pool
C)Do not add any potential teams for now

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 4, 2020

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

QUESTION 1: D
QUESTION 2: D

Draft a Luka stopper. Draft two of them. That's literally the only thing that's prevented multiple rings IMO. I don't know exactly what skill(s) this requires but find whoever's best at them in the rear end-end of the draft & get them.

QUESTION 3: A?
Sure move the team, but is it a 2K decision where they go & if they re-brand or is that something you/the thread controls?

QUESTION 4: B
More blood for the blood gods, more teams for the team gods?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
When it comes to being a Luka Stopper, as near as I can tell when looking at the differences between Bilic, Boyd Johnson, and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk vs Frankie Lambert, Fred VanVleet and Gheorghe Eminescu, is that not only do you need to be a good perimeter defender and fast, but you also need to be strong, and have at least a little willingness to just whollop the poo poo out of him when you foul him. Actually, since Mykhailiuk was not a good perimeter defender, strength/poo poo wholloping might be the most important trait.

As for decisions about moving/rebranding as well as possible expansions:

The thread will vote, if we vote for either. If we vote for both and the Kings do move, I am making one of the teams the Seattle SuperSonics, but I will still hold a vote for if they're the moved team or an expansion team.

EDIT
And, thinking on it, I only just now realize that I could have had Boyd Johnson on Doncic and Frankie Lambert on Beal, and possibly, maybe squeaked by the Mavs that way.... it'd be pretty woeful for trying to score the ball with both guys on the court, though.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 4, 2020

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
QUESTION 1:
C)Draft Best Potential Big (PF/C)

QUESTION 2: Pick 61
E)Draft and Stash

QUESTION 3: Sacramento
A)Move the Kings if they post less than 16 wins

Las Vegas has an NHL and NFL team, why not an NBA team?

QUESTION 4: Talent
B)Add two potential Expansion teams to the pool

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I also would vote for prioritising a defensive stopper, and I actually recommend a conservative approach this off-season in all of the chaos. This team is still young and deep and I am kind of looking forward to the ridiculously over-spending teams getting their payback... not literally, of course, as those tens of millions are gone and those teams are hosed in the short term.

If you do expand, please put a team in Montréal and put the Supersonics back in Seattle, if you have control over that.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Q1: C
Q2: C
Q3: A
Q4: B

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I do have control over where teams expand to, relocate, or how they rebrand. I could also change jersey design if anyone was interested. If there's a classic jersey or court design the thread wants to see on a team, I could set them up for a few years. I have zero objections to snazzing up anyone's look.

As for conservative vs spendy, I am possibly also over the cap. Right now though, it's cap holds, so several of my players are counted twice. Until I take player options, I won't know my real cap space. Like, I want to let Hollins and Webber go, to save money. And I want to sign Boyd Johnson. But depending on what Johnson does to my cap, I might not, because the season after this one will be Jacque Cisse, and I definitely prefer paying one of my best players (that is still improving) over paying a relatively unknown player. I might suddenly have to make that choice.

Depending on what Boyd asks for, it might come to a decision between him and Lambert, which is much more even.

Then, on top of all of that, next season should also have Donta Greene alongside Cisse. Suddenly having a cap hurts us, too. Just not quite as much as poor Golden State, which is probably 100Million into the luxury tax.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1 and 2.) D
I'm with oldskool on this, you need to get a Luka stopper because that's the biggest hole on your entire team right now.

3.) A, relocate them if they continue to suck.
In real-life sports, I hate relocation because it's always either (1) the owner's fault for being so lovely that fans give up or (2) the owner being a greedy rear end in a top hat who just wants a new stadium and is moving because the local government isn't willing to hand out several hundred million dollars of taxpayer money.

But this being a simulation, why not? Let's move the Kings out of their historical struggles in Sacramento and close the circle by moving them to Seattle.

4.) B, add two
Since you have control, I'd be interested in seeing one in Anchorage, Alaska, as the most remote area on the list.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

1 and 2.) D
I'm with oldskool on this, you need to get a Luka stopper because that's the biggest hole on your entire team right now.

3.) A, relocate them if they continue to suck.
In real-life sports, I hate relocation because it's always either (1) the owner's fault for being so lovely that fans give up or (2) the owner being a greedy rear end in a top hat who just wants a new stadium and is moving because the local government isn't willing to hand out several hundred million dollars of taxpayer money.

But this being a simulation, why not? Let's move the Kings out of their historical struggles in Sacramento and close the circle by moving them to Seattle.

4.) B, add two
Since you have control, I'd be interested in seeing one in Anchorage, Alaska, as the most remote area on the list.

You make a good point about that, Magus, in that it's a game and moving doesn't actually hurt anyone. VSM, what's the composition of the eastern and western conferences right now? One thing that I think should be insisted upon is that both conferences have the same number of teams and, since the last expansion added two western teams, I assume that it is unbalanced 17W/15E, but I don't want to presume.

I wouldn't want to make a team in Anchorage, though... their city stats weren't very good and I feel that they would be at a competitive disadvantage. I don't know if the game models the rigours of travel, but I presume that market size matters given that the two most profligate teams are found in NYC and San Francisco.

Edit: I went back and looked at standings and I noticed that Memphis was moved to the eastern conference, which is entirely sensible, and it's 16W and 16E. I think that it's too early to give up on the Kings (look how Boston turned around), so just expand by one team in each conference. Seattle is by far the best site for a new team according to in-game statistics and Montréal is one of the better 2nd-tier choices. You can always move the Kings to another western city if they continue to be hopeless.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 4, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
One thing to note is if I queue up two expansion teams, it could still be years before they exist. And also, there's nothing to say they will come into the league at the same time. They might immediately vote one in but not both. They might not even hold the vote. But I think it's arguably time to have the option available. Originally, I was gonna have this discussion after about 15 or 20 seasons. The league sort of blew itself out, though, so I am inclined to get things queued up early. There's a chance that players that are like high eighties might not get signed for a few seasons and "retire".

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I do have control over where teams expand to, relocate, or how they rebrand. I could also change jersey design if anyone was interested. If there's a classic jersey or court design the thread wants to see on a team, I could set them up for a few years. I have zero objections to snazzing up anyone's look.

Bring back the Dominic Wilkins era Atlanta Hawk's Jersey of the 80s & early 90s.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Largepotato posted:

Bring back the Dominic Wilkins era Atlanta Hawk's Jersey of the 80s & early 90s.

Do you mean the ones with the yellow numbering and the diagonal "HAWKS" down the front?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
1.D, and I agree on looking for a Doncic stopper, or at least someone to slow him down.

3.A, Sacramento needs to get past the Kings.

4.B, more teams. MORE.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 13, Part 1, 2028-2029, Early Offseason

Everything is bad. Everything is bad forever. I'm pretty sure the Salary Cap was reinstated itself to the level it was when it was abolished, instead of being increased over the years we weren't using it. Free Agency is, in fact, going to be crazy. I hope the TV deal next season makes the cap skyrocket, because at least four members of the Honu next year are expecting big, big paychecks. I assume the entire league is shook up over this nonsense, but even we are hit way harder than I thought, and we were always one of the bottom 5 teams in the league regarding Salary.

But first, the Draft:

Orlando kicks things off by taking this guy, who is neither the highest overall, nor the highest potential player. I'm not actually sure what the logic here was. Like I said, I accidentally rebuilt narratives for everyone in this draft, so while there were a few studs in the draft, they go at weird times. In the future, I will not be rebuilding stories if/when I change a drafted player's age. But hey, weird draft.

Brooklyn trades their pick for the starting wings of the Utah Jazz.

Oops! All Ba/errys!

Meanwhile, the Pelicans decide they want the Magic's back court.

Brooklyn continues their plan of "just trade out of this weird draft and acquire an entire starting lineup through trades" which, hell, that might not be such a bad plan.

Per directive of focusing on trying to find a Luka Stopper, the Honu draft this guy, the second-best perimeter defender available at #29

As well as this neck-beard, who was the best perimeter defender available at #29, but we still got him at #61. He'll be spending stints in the G-league, but I will call him up at least once this season to test him against Doncic.

Mr. Irrelevant 2028 is Courtney Baldwin, who really, if he were on any other team but the Knicks, he might have had an NBA career. Stupid New York.

We accept all of our team options except for Jud Webber, and, honestly, I regret not taking his option, because we're broke as hell.

I offer qualifiers to Eminescu and Boyd Johnson, Wayne Hollins usually contributes less than nothing, and I would rather take my chances with a random free agent at this point. Eminescu's qualifying offer is 13 million, and I was really worried that he would have a price tag close to that amount buuuuut

I made an executive decision to re-sign him for 3 years, because he was willing to take a significant pay cut if I gave him a player option at the end of it. This is an absolute steal for us.

I'm not making an offer to Boyd Johnson, but if free agency ends and no one else does, he'll keep his qualifying contract, which is good, because, as you can see, we are now over the cap and while I can get Johnson for that price, I literally cannot get anyone else. Somehow, there are teams under the cap now that Free Agency has started, I assume because several teams renounced the rights to everyone, because, well, yeah.

At any rate, that still leaves us with a roster space free, and since our bigs rotation is only 4 deep, I figure we should really fix that. Since we're broke and everyone is broke, this gives us fairly limited options, but hey, limited isn't "none"

Jim Bullard is a former third string center to the Lakers. At 2.5 stars system match, whatever that influences, he's precisely as much a match for our system as he's not. He's capable of playing both big positions, which is a major drawing point. The 2M contract mark is also pretty tasty. Of the four options, he's the best at Interior Defense.

Paris Chandler is a former Summer League MVP for the Boston Celtics, and I'm a little surprised they never tried using him, but what can you expect from a 2 win team? Of the players available he is by far the best scorer and he's also got the second-most potential. He's a bit more expensive and might not be the best system match, but he's probably the best player available of these four guys.

Former Name of the Year Winner Dick Steele has a very affordable salary price, is a slightly better match for our system than Chandler. He can play two positions. He's the worst scorer, he's not a great rebounder. His defense is nearly as good as Bullard's and he's cheaper. (You could say he has an interior D of.... Steele. :imunfunny:)

Mr. Irrelevant 2026, Paul Posey doesn't play Center and has the lowest floor of all available players, but his price is almost nothing, and he has the highest ceiling. However, at already 26 years of age, it's doubtful he'll hit that ceiling. He is probably the best rebounder of these four guys.

:siren:VOTING TIME :siren:
We need to sign an additional player. Please pick one of those four guys and for how long.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm also going to have to trade some of the Wings, because we now have a lot of wing players, (both SGs and SFs) or we certainly will if Johnson signs. Most are developing guys, or defenders, so I'm not really attached to any at this point other than Dedric Wesley and Dylan Windler. I'm thinking I want to do this before the season starts, but it'll be a vote for another day.

The Kings are put on notice. If they win less than 16 games, they'll be moved. However! They might pull it off, so I won't count those chickens just yet. I do want to start gearing up the potential Expansion Teams, though. I am not going to allow certain cities at this time, including, sadly, Anchorage. Mostly because the current climate of Anchorage is such that it makes less sense to put a team there than it does putting a second team in Honolulu. They're just not that interested in Basketball. But hey, at least it's better than Athens, Georgia.

So yeah, I ruled out a few cities here or there. I also added one I didn't consider last round, because it's actually a pretty good position now. Each city has three stats associated with it. The stats are, in order, Median Income, Fan Interest, and Population. For a city to be considered, I required it to have at least a 50 in Fan Interest, unless the other two stats were too good to ignore and there wasn't already a basketball team present. We by no means have to put a team in the best position to succeed, I consider all of these locations viable. In 2028, the viable cities are:

Albuquerque, NM: 21/50/27
Austin, TX: 61/70/60
Baltimore, MD: 62/70/62
Cincinnati, OH: 60/65/60
Columbus, OH: 60/45/60
El Paso, TX: 16/50/25
Hartford, CT: 43/60/36
Jacksonville, FL: 35/50/45
Kansas City, MO: 60/50/60
Las Vegas, NV: 59/55/60
Louisville, KY: 37/70/38
Montreal, QC, CA: 68/35/65
Nashville, TN: 60/50/54
Pittsburgh, PA: 61/40/60
Providence, RI: 35/50/48
Raleigh, NC: 40/65/36
Saint Louis, MO: 61/50/62
San Diego, CA: 64/55/63
San Jose, CA: 65/60/54
Seattle, WA: 68/90/64
Tampa, FL: 61/45/62
Virginia Beach, VA: 44/60/52

As before, please vote for your four favorite options.

Any and all criteria you base your vote on are valid.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
3 years with Paris sounds good.

Bring pro basketball back to:

Seattle
Louisville
Virginia Beach
Baltimore

Why?

Seattle was done extremely dirty and they deserve a team again.

Louisville and Virginia Beach (Well, Norfolk, but this is close enough) were 2 great ABA teams that should have been part of the merger and they got left out in the cold. Bring back the Kentucky Colonels and the Virginia Squires, I say!

Baltimore also has a tie-in to the ABA, as the Baltimore Hustlers existed in theory, got changed to the Baltimore Claws, lost 3 preseason games and then promptly folded. It's time to resurrect them from the briny deep.

Yes, I may have recently read the ABA book "Loose Balls", what of it?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do you mean the ones with the yellow numbering and the diagonal "HAWKS" down the front?

The 82-92 version here.

http://www.jerseymuseum.org/team/atlanta-hawks/jerseys/

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Montreal and they sign nothing but canadians or europeans

Dont care about the other 3 teams so put montreal over and over and over and over and over and over

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Dick Steele for 2 years sounds good. Louisville, Montreal, Baltimore, and Cincinnati are my picks for expansion (Kentucky Colonels and Baltimore Bullets!).

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Albuquerque isotopes or bust

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hope that you aren't planning to add two teams to *each* conference all at once (too much, too soon), but my opinion remains Seattle & Montréal. My second-tier picks would be Baltimore and Cincinnati, but I don't know how that word work out in terms of the East/West split.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

I hope that you aren't planning to add two teams to *each* conference all at once (too much, too soon), but my opinion remains Seattle & Montréal. My second-tier picks would be Baltimore and Cincinnati, but I don't know how that word work out in terms of the East/West split.

I'm only adding two teams, but I'm letting people vote for four and I am taking the most popular two.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Jim Bullard, one year!

As for the cities:
Austin
Cincinnati
Las Vegas
Seattle

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Hard not to vote for Dick Steele

Joke city vote: Move the Kings immediately (to anywhere) and replace them with a new team in Sacramento named the Jesters

I guess let's actually go:
Seattle
ABQ
San Diego
Louisville

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Seattle
Alberquerque
El Paso
Providence

Also, in a world where Dick Steele is an option, you should already know how the vote is going to go here.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Bring hoops back to Seattle and Kansas City!

EDIT: Virginia Beach and Baltimore as well.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 5, 2020

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
Dick Steele

Raleigh
Montreal
Seattle
Virginia Beach

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug