Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

new thoughts? well poo poo

e: glorious snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I started a new game just to check and didn't see any new options in the cabinet, so they must be hidden.

Also moving around seems a lot quicker, there's a lot less of the thing where you click on something and Harry spends five seconds slooooooowly creeping up to it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
new thots

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe by "new thoughts" they're referring to ones that were in the game but were glitched/ungettable for whatever reason? I saw someone post that they got Jamrock Shuffle earlier today upon loading their game and that was a huge mystery for a while.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arist posted:

Maybe by "new thoughts" they're referring to ones that were in the game but were glitched/ungettable for whatever reason? I saw someone post that they got Jamrock Shuffle earlier today upon loading their game and that was a huge mystery for a while.
I bothered people on the official game discord for the longest time, and was assured that the three glitched thoughts were fixed during the last big update (about six months ago?).

Haven't actually checked myself \ updated my guide, due to PC issues and lack of time.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Bought it. Played for a few hours.

Ended up doing a sick jump, getting stuck, and having a nervous breakdown.

Reload, ended up re-uniting a family, get laughed at by my whole station, break down a door and check out a haunted building. Kicked a furnace and had a life-ending heart attack.

This game's writing and atmosphere are great but dear lord is it unforgiving and designed around save-scumming.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

J.A.B.C. posted:

designed around save-scumming.

Don’t do this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

J.A.B.C. posted:

Bought it. Played for a few hours.

Ended up doing a sick jump, getting stuck, and having a nervous breakdown.

Reload, ended up re-uniting a family, get laughed at by my whole station, break down a door and check out a haunted building. Kicked a furnace and had a life-ending heart attack.

This game's writing and atmosphere are great but dear lord is it unforgiving and designed around save-scumming.

Carry more healing items, when you're about to lose your last health or morale point and have a spare consumable of the appropriate type you'll be given a few seconds to use it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Savescumming in this game will just ruin your experience of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

don't save-scum, and don't go 1 Phys/Psy on your first playthrough

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I went 1 Psy/2 Phys and I went fine for me. :shrug:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I enjoyed it just fine save scumming. I actually think the game would have been better without the rng, just binary skill checks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I failed the 99% karaoke skill check and it was the superior result.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Failing the “sneak away from Garte” check was the funniest thing in the whole game.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Every heal item I've found has been insta-use so far, and I don't know if they have a priority slot or if they show up as regular items and I am doing something wrong.

Also, I don't mean passing/failing rolls (having the bookstore girl call you on your bullshit is absolute gold), but sudden and unexpected lockouts or deaths that set me back by a shitload of progress because the autosave hasn't triggered yet. I've had one lockout (after jumping for the coat) and two deaths so far.

I had a full 2 health, I stub my toe and die, now I have to call up the station, go through all those dialogs again, then re-investigate everything I've already done because my dude has an Achilles toe. It's not Sierra levels of frustration but it's up there with Planescape levels of 'welp, hosed that up' saving.

Is there an option to change the autosave frequency?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Failing the “sneak away from Garte” check was the funniest thing in the whole game.
It is, but even succeeding it on the second time round got me good because it makes absolutely no difference to your circumstances whatsoever.

I loving love Garte. I've met a few people like him, and much like in the game its quite fun to wind them up a bit. Next time I meet one I might threaten to arrest him, see what happens.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

Every heal item I've found has been insta-use so far, and I don't know if they have a priority slot or if they show up as regular items and I am doing something wrong.

what

there are occasional heals in conversation but all the OTC medicines get added to the two heal buttons over your portrait and last until used

you also get a few seconds to use one when you run out of health or morale

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

what

there are occasional heals in conversation but all the OTC medicines get added to the two heal buttons over your portrait and last until used

you also get a few seconds to use one when you run out of health or morale

Those are heal buttons? I thought they were my max health values and the bars beneath were the actual values.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You didn't have a full 2 health.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The little orange & blue bars are your actual--and maximum--health and morale, governed respectively by your Endurance and Volition skills. The crosses are your heal buttons. The numbers inside them show how many heals you're carrying.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 3, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Avalerion posted:

I enjoyed it just fine save scumming. I actually think the game would have been better without the rng, just binary skill checks.

I think the rng is alright in most places, it allows for some surprises when you ace a check that didn't have much of a chance at, and vice versa. Most failures are still pretty fun, so its not so bad when things go wrong.

There are two times when I think the system does the game a disservice, and they're right next to each other towards the end of the game;the check to dodge being shot at the end of the mercenary tribunal, and the following authority check to warn kim. In the former case the roll is a guaranteed fail, and its attempting to drive home the inevitability of HDB getting shot (you cannot, in fact, dodge bullets despite how much you might want to). However, this point was already demonstrated more successfully in the unopenable door earlier on, all the dodging check does is encourage people to try and savescum through the entire tribunal.

On the latter check, I rolled snake eyes on a 97% chance and Kim got shot, and that sucked.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Lies, failing to get the sandwich is.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

JamMasterJim posted:

Lies, failing to get the sandwich is.

Dang, I missed that. Time for playthrough #3!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a speedrun mod? Now that all the thoughts seem to be unglitched, I'm going for a Hardcore run, and am actively dreading trekking along the coast.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

JustaDamnFool posted:

I think the rng is alright in most places, it allows for some surprises when you ace a check that didn't have much of a chance at, and vice versa. Most failures are still pretty fun, so its not so bad when things go wrong.

There are two times when I think the system does the game a disservice, and they're right next to each other towards the end of the game;the check to dodge being shot at the end of the mercenary tribunal, and the following authority check to warn kim. In the former case the roll is a guaranteed fail, and its attempting to drive home the inevitability of HDB getting shot (you cannot, in fact, dodge bullets despite how much you might want to). However, this point was already demonstrated more successfully in the unopenable door earlier on, all the dodging check does is encourage people to try and savescum through the entire tribunal.

On the latter check, I rolled snake eyes on a 97% chance and Kim got shot, and that sucked.

those situations do say "INEVITABLY FAILED" instead of just "FAILED," but it doesn't get signposted. maybe this problem could be alleviated by making it clearer that you can't pass those checks, whether before or after you actually try it.

oughta start playthrough number 4 to do a hardcore run. but almost all of the other achievements I'm missing are related to being a fascist "traditionalist" and/or being a dick to Kim and I don't even know if I'm capable of either

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

being a dick to Kim and I don't even know if I'm capable of either
It takes all of -5 points, which you can easily make up for:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1921534085

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Xander77 posted:

It takes all of -5 points, which you can easily make up for:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1921534085

oh awesome, kim hates me at 11 AM day 1 and now we can start over fresh. thanks

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Is there a speedrun mod? Now that all the thoughts seem to be unglitched, I'm going for a Hardcore run, and am actively dreading trekking along the coast.

Oh, and also. Anyone got a list of Art Cop thoughts? I followed this guide, but haven't managed to get it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/ejdgfl/art_cop_a_quick_guide_to_getting_an_actual_art/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just started playing the game. Had a 'holy poo poo' moment when I tried to slip away from the bartender and failed the roll. Then I broke down and had a game over when I got to the hanged man. 10/10 will roll a new character tomorrow.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Just started playing the game. Had a 'holy poo poo' moment when I tried to slip away from the bartender and failed the roll. Then I broke down and had a game over when I got to the hanged man. 10/10 will roll a new character tomorrow.

Sometimes failure is funner than success.

Pressing F1 for a guide to the UI is helpful. Note picking up healing items adds them to the plus buttons over your health and morale meters and can be used while they tick down towards 0.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I never even realized you can grab the spinners, get Joyce to front you the hotel money, say good night to Kim, then sell the spinners for the full 200$.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You monster. :P

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is the Mysterious Pair of Eyes new to this update? Never encountered him before.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Always been there but the requirements are pretty high and the window to meet is pretty small so it's easy to miss.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Just finished my first play through this game. It was a really moving experience and a lot of fun.

Did anyone else feel like the thought cabinet was too skill point intensive to let you really try new thoughts once it filled up? Looking up stuff now it seems rather easy to min-max with a guide in hand, but once you’ve got a “status quo” with a full cabinet the opportunity cost of switching them out is so high.

I was also surprised that there’s no achievement for abstaining from drugs and alcohol the whole game.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, I never switched thoughts out once they were locked in, though there are some real stinkers. Generally I think you're not supposed to switch thoughts in or out unless you really hate one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Did anyone else feel like the thought cabinet was too skill point intensive to let you really try new thoughts once it filled up? Looking up stuff now it seems rather easy to min-max with a guide in hand, but once you’ve got a “status quo” with a full cabinet the opportunity cost of switching them out is so high.
I do feel a thought guide is handy (which is why I wrote one), but you get anywhere between 50 and 100 skill points, of which 9 unlock thought slots, so it's not like there's a desperate shortage.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It would feel like more of an issue if the thoughts themselves were more characterized, but you’re rarely conversing with them directly.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

does anyone know of a screenshot let's play or a liveblog or. something. I wish to experience this game vicariously through the eyes of a newbie.
i will only accept video let's plays if the let's player is like, REALLY entertaining and/or clever.
for reference to what i consider good, my favorite LPers are Norhternlion and BaerTaffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I quite enjoyed this one, lots of good voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ETpz_DKWI