Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That brief moment of the collective talking before they were immediately spaced was such a tease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1278713359807008768?s=19

An article by someone watching TNG for the first time, in our modern world of pandemics and social justice struggles, and finding it entirely relevant and uplifting.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 3, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I tend not to like that genre of article, but this one I did like.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Up to mid season 2 of Voyager. How bloody fast are the Kazon meant to be? Voyager is 10+ months in their 75 year trip home (so I'd guess around 1/75th of the way back to the Alpha Quadrant) and the Kazon have caught up. I did think that maybe they had been tailed the entire time by this ship trying to steal Federation tech, but then they namedrop a bunch of Kazon sects that can be there within a day.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also I found a site that sells model kits and they have a bunch of stuff I remember from being a kid in the mid-90's like the Voyager and fiber-optic illuminated Ent-D model kits, for quite cheap prices. Pretty tempted to stock up on all those things I coveted as a kid...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Senor Tron posted:

Up to mid season 2 of Voyager. How bloody fast are the Kazon meant to be? Voyager is 10+ months in their 75 year trip home (so I'd guess around 1/75th of the way back to the Alpha Quadrant) and the Kazon have caught up. I did think that maybe they had been tailed the entire time by this ship trying to steal Federation tech, but then they namedrop a bunch of Kazon sects that can be there within a day.

I think it's that one ship has been tailing them but as a group the Kazon are everywhere so there are always fresh groups of locals to call in for assistance. They were supposed to be like street gangs though so you'd think they would show more tension with locals as they keep moving into different territory.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Brick Card posted:

Murica-Class!

I like to imagine it doing the Discovery spore drive flip every time it has to move anywhere.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

I think it's that one ship has been tailing them but as a group the Kazon are everywhere so there are always fresh groups of locals to call in for assistance. They were supposed to be like street gangs though so you'd think they would show more tension with locals as they keep moving into different territory.

Hmm, perhaps. I can't remember, are there many other people they repeatedly run into?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

womb with a view posted:

I like to imagine it doing the Discovery spore drive flip every time it has to move anywhere.

But rolling backwards rather than to the side.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Senor Tron posted:

But rolling backwards rather than to the side.

a barrel roll

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Senor Tron posted:

Hmm, perhaps. I can't remember, are there many other people they repeatedly run into?

The closest are the Vidiians, who appeared twice in season 1, and then have several appearances en masse in the second half of Season 2.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

These robots look cheesy and cheap and I'm pretty sure that was Johnny 5's arm but I loving love this premise of the AI from two races still fighting decades after their makers have died.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

These robots look cheesy and cheap and I'm pretty sure that was Johnny 5's arm but I loving love this premise of the AI from two races still fighting decades after their makers have died.

Yea that's a p good Outer Limits ep.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oh poo poo yeah this is Threshold, time to ride this Voyager train into the ground.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 3, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Senor Tron posted:

I kinda like how cheap they look - it sells the idea that these aren't Data, they're some crappy automatons that don't have enough flexibility in their programing to abandon their pointless war.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

This is actually fairly close to the plot of the game Nier Automata, complete with cheesey-looking robots

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Brick Card posted:

Murica-Class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2Vu9S2gDk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Senor Tron posted:

That brief moment of the collective talking before they were immediately spaced was such a tease.
Everything with the Borg Cube on Picard was a giant tease

There's a warning from a Romulan supervisor in the 2nd episode that implies there are areas of the cube that are not under control or dangerous, and we never get to see any of that. It feels to me like there was going to be more stuff with the Cube that didn't make it in the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHX-MFwJ6UI

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything with the Borg Cube on Picard was a giant tease

There's a warning from a Romulan supervisor in the 2nd episode that implies there are areas of the cube that are not under control or dangerous, and we never get to see any of that. It feels to me like there was going to be more stuff with the Cube that didn't make it in the show.

A lot of Picard feels like the writers trying to use the entire first season as an extended pilot and then seeding seven seasons worth of plot hooks throughout.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Didn’t it come out they’d only written like 3 episodes by the time they started filming? I can easily imagine they forgot to follow up on plot points in the rush to get pages done.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

seeding seven seasons worth of plot hooks throughout.

Realistically, how long is Patrick Stewart going to be in for this? I have a hard time imagining it's more than 3-4 seasons tops.

I mean, he's in fantastic shape for his age, but dude's not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Drone posted:

Realistically, how long is Patrick Stewart going to be in for this? I have a hard time imagining it's more than 3-4 seasons tops.

I mean, he's in fantastic shape for his age, but dude's not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

a) showrunners don't care, if it doesn't work out, they'll just move onto something else
b) the strength, depth, and likability of the other characters is such that the show can easily go on without a major name tied to the show
c) *rolls DnD dice on mystery box table* hm, it seems that the Cardassians have uncovered a time portal to the Borg home planet at a critical historical period

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is actually fairly close to the plot of the game Nier Automata, complete with cheesey-looking robots

If Salad Fingers was made up of robots.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

a) showrunners don't care, if it doesn't work out, they'll just move onto something else
b) the strength, depth, and likability of the other characters is such that the show can easily go on without a major name tied to the show
c) *rolls DnD dice on mystery box table* hm, it seems that the Cardassians have uncovered a time portal to the Borg home planet at a critical historical period

I was about to say that this is absurd and Picard ending with Patrick Stewart's leaving is a foregone conclusion, but this is 2020 and the CW is charging forward with Batwoman minus Batwoman, nothing is given.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think they've said that the plan is for three seasons but we'll see

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

McSpanky posted:

https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1278713359807008768?s=19

An article by someone watching TNG for the first time, in our modern world of pandemics and social justice struggles, and finding it entirely relevant and uplifting.

Honestly I genuinely dislike startrek.com articles since it's all part of the CBS marketing arm, not a serious exploration of the show. I'd be BLOWN AWAY if they let some write an episode talking about how many fuckups TOS had (patterns of force, turnabout intruder) but that just isn't what CBS allows.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tonight we once again picked a TNG episode more or less at random and got a two-parter: Gambit, which I probably haven't seen since the 90s and only hazily remembered.

Reactions:

- For the most part, this is good space-swashbuckling fun. I like this one overall.
- The scene where Acting Captain Data rips Worf a new rear end in a top hat and then they apologize to each other is drat good.
- So where the hell did the mercenaries get this magical sensor-blocking hull material anyway? Plot Devices R Us?
- They never fired Chekhov's Transporter Gun! :mad: They go to all this trouble to establish a gun that beams poo poo up instead of vaporizing it and then it never actually appears!
- The Stone of Gol (Gol Stone?) is a little underwhelming as a weapon, don't you think?. It's hard to see what it does that a regular-rear end raygun couldn't do better and faster. In fact, when it failed to kill Picard and company due to their peaceful intentions, I was left wondering why the hell the Vulcan lady didn't just pick up the drat phaser that was lying on the ground right there and use that to finish the job.
- Still, it's nice that she tried to use it on Worf and it didn't work. He may be an aggressive warrior, but he doesn't have murder in his heart.
- I usually don't like it when an episode ends with a joke, but this one worked. It flowed perfectly naturally from the plot and the characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Gambit is pretty decent for season 7 TNG (which, in general, was bland as hell because all of the writers were just completely burned-out). It's definitely better than some of TNG's garbo two-parters (looking at you, Time's Arrow).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Time's Arrow is great and fun

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Time's Arrow is the worst two-parter of the series

It has some moments but it's just a weird episode

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Time's Arrow is the worst two-parter of the series

I think that title goes to either Descent or Birthright (almost certainly Birthright ... Christ, that was terrible), but Time's Arrow is straight garbage outside of Jerry Hardin hamming it up.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Time's Arrow is the best two parter because it gave us TNG Edit 23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIxSwvmWVM

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

I think that title goes to either Descent or Birthright (almost certainly Birthright ... Christ, that was terrible), but Time's Arrow is straight garbage outside of Jerry Hardin hamming it up.

I kinda like the Data dream segments in Birthright and it's one of only two current sources for HD DS9 footage, so I'm fine with it. It's largely mediocre but it's watchable. Descent is loving awful, yeah, but I do like the cold open in Part 1 and the tiny subplot of Crusher in command of the Enterprise.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
everyone hates on season 7 of TNG but I really like the episode where Data loses his memory and accidentally gives a village radiation poisoning. They actually do a science and its an actual experiment to determine how things work which is much better than Geordi appearing at the start of act 3 or 4 to go "okay so so i ran some numbers on the computer it turns out its an alien doing a thing to us. anyway to get this story moving along we need to do x but there's a y as an obstacle so let's go"

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

everyone hates on season 7 of TNG

who does and why
my fists are ready

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Disagree with Picard decision for first time I think, giving Jono back to Tamarians after kid stabs him in his sleep. Like what the gently caress dawg, he just gave you the perfect out for keeping him aboard as Riker informs Endar 'he's being held on this ship for murder.' The whole episode is showing you how Jono is still human but been through a lot of poo poo with trauma of his parents being killed, repressed memories and even though he was raised by someone who lost their son and so treated him as one of their own, he has a loving grandmother in Statfleet who outranks Picard and desperately wants to be reunited with him. How the gently caress you just gonna give him back to Endar because he says he wants to, gently caress that he isn't in the proper mind state to make any decision. Bring him back with the conditions he can choose to leave and go back to Tamarians after meeting his true family/etc. If I'm that Admiral i'm making it my mission to ruin Picard for that bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kind of funny Sisko makes the exact opposite decision in the same situation with that Cardassian kid

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's a DACA analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

AntherUslessPoster posted:

who does and why
my fists are ready

I’m with you. I have an unusual love for TNG season 7 since they just decided to get weird with it. Sure there’s some clunkers, but I found season 5 to have way more of those than 7.

Plus 7 is the one I remember most airing when I was a kid and that definitely does not make me biased at all.