Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

So in news of other theoretical games, I'm getting overwhelming vibes that Amazon's New World is going to crash and burn spectacularly. They're 15 years late to the party, have learned literally nothing from well over 100 MMO failures through the years, and are still pivoting on their core mechanics at this very late stage. It also doesn't look all that unique, although like all games it's more real than anything CIG has ever made. Does anyone have more information on that, perhaps a contradicting opinion with some interesting insight?

Nah, you're spot-on, pretty much everyone agrees it looks like a 10 year old MMO and there's virtually no hype for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Hav posted:

This is to scale;

Back in the day they used to publish the figures. After I produced this, the numbers started getting scrubbed. They’re about 1/6th scale if you work back from what they want the G to be, because I built some of them to check their simulation fidelity.

It’s one of the fun details that gives the physics engine a bit of a skew.

Why 1/6th scale if you have 64-bit precision, though. Bit of a headscratcher there.
I was wondering about this recently, what was their reason for downscaling planets? I guess it might require more effort to fill larger planets with unique empty useless environments, but is there some technical limitation?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hav posted:

This is to scale;

Back in the day they used to publish the figures. After I produced this, the numbers started getting scrubbed. They’re about 1/6th scale if you work back from what they want the G to be, because I built some of them to check their simulation fidelity.

Why 1/6th scale if you have 64-bit precision, though. Bit of a headscratcher there.

Who care about the scale factor, what we want to know is how many Skyrims can fit on each planet

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dwesa posted:

I was wondering about this recently, what was their reason for downscaling planets? I guess it might require more effort to fill larger planets with unique empty useless environments, but is there some technical limitation?

I don't know the reason, but it sure would be sensible to downscale them even further, if they weren't after ~fidelity~ or something. I mean they are desolate as they are now, and planets in Infinity Battlescape, where creators are also obsessed with "true scale", are even more desolate. Like yeah, it is cool that there are big planets, but other then that it is pretty boring and pointless

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dwesa posted:

it's certainly easier to have smaller planets, but even a tinyass planet will still feel barren as poo poo.
1/6 is more than enough for them to be just "huh neat. where's the content though"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bofast posted:

As I recall, Lethality was all over this one (much to the chagrin of some MMO community website who didn't like him getting invited to a closed event) so we can probably write it off.

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/991663064679419904

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hav posted:

This is to scale;

Lore wise, yes. However, game wise everything is scaled down. I'm not sure why they scale everything down in-game. It could be a technical reason or it could be a gameplay reason. I suspect it's scaled for gameplay because it would take too long to travel around a full-scale star system at sub-light speeds.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Cenasmells/status/1278039124713148417
https://twitter.com/Cenasmells/status/1278038329913573376
https://twitter.com/Cenasmells/status/1278038494691028993
https://twitter.com/Cenasmells/status/1278039288811159552
https://twitter.com/Cenasmells/status/1278038699863707648
https://twitter.com/Cenasmells/status/1278039858225614848

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 3, 2020

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:yikes:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

raindow lmfao

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nalin posted:

Lore wise, yes. However, game wise everything is scaled down. I'm not sure why they scale everything down in-game. It could be a technical reason or it could be a gameplay reason. I suspect it's scaled for gameplay because it would take too long to travel around a full-scale star system at sub-light speeds.
Wouldn't it be easier to just increase travel speed?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
CI¬G: Posts a picture of a colourful cake
Citizens: What about all the rape in male american prisons?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Between this and black lives matter CIG seems to have some very interesting fans

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Inacio posted:

Between this and black lives matter CIG seems to have assholes for fans

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Inacio posted:

Between this and black lives matter CIG seems to have some very interesting fans

Sadly this is true for most video games.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

CI¬G: Posts a picture of a colourful cake
Citizens: What about all the rape in male american prisons?

Jesus christ lmao I didn't clock that those are all individual replies to the same tweet.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Chris Roberts would be the blue colour, and almost half the cards would be counterspells (micromanagement, pixel alteration, scope increase etc.) aimed at preventing productivity.

As I recall, Lethality was all over this one (much to the chagrin of some MMO community website who didn't like him getting invited to a closed event) so we can probably write it off.

when player draws lethality, lethality automaically enters the game.
lethality destroys 50% of your fleet.
when the game is over and you still have lethality in your hand, you lose the game.
...and get an rear end-whip from your opponent.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Chris Roberts would be the blue colour, and almost half the cards would be counterspells (micromanagement, pixel alteration, scope increase etc.) aimed at preventing productivity.

Parperi, Delay Mage. (4 loyalty)
War of the Snark
2u1b
Legendary Developer - - Parperi

All backers can pledge at instant speed.

+1 Until your next turn, you may cast absolve yourself spells as though they had flash.
-3: Return up to one target asset, system, or video to its owner's hand. Draw an excuse.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

Who care about the scale factor, what we want to know is how many Skyrims can fit on each planet

How many do you need?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sandweed posted:

Sadly this is true for most video games.

True, but also CIG has managed to cultivate the absolute worst people who claim to play video games. It's rather impressive.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

Hence three different speed regimes, but that then begs the question as to why they’re lampshading the travel times.

The answer is that they’re looking for gameplay timers; gameplay timers provide a solid nudge towards spending money to avoid tedium.

There’s very little reason to scale things down other than it makes the math a lot easier; trying storing a 64-bit number in a database, for example. Having all that precision is great, actually using it is an absolute pain in the rear end. All that early talk about shifting to 64-bit was a bit of a blind because having access to the realm doesn’t make it *useful*. Having a millimeter scale universe is great, but when that gives rise to arbitrary precision calculations that bounce between a couple of extremes, poo poo goes south. It’s one of the reasons that people usually only develop one physics engine, because they’re a mess of compromises.

Thing is that distance matters; F = Gm/r^2

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

How many do you need?

640 Skyrims should be enough for everyone.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good bot

Bumble He posted:

when player draws lethality, lethality automaically enters the game.
lethality destroys 50% of your fleet.
when the game is over and you still have lethality in your hand, you lose the game.
...and get an rear end-whip from your opponent.

Does that make Lethality the MMO version of the Old Maid? :D

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

Parperi, Delay Mage. (4 loyalty)
War of the Snark
2u1b
Legendary Developer - - Parperi

All backers can pledge at instant speed.

+1 Until your next turn, you may cast absolve yourself spells as though they had flash.
-3: Return up to one target asset, system, or video to its owner's hand. Draw an excuse.

poo poo you can make your custom magic cards... i am afraid that i will spam this thread with my custom cards soon.

https://www.mtgcardmaker.com/

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
For anyone who wants to read about yet another accused scammer. It's pretty wild:
Bloomberg: The ‘Fyre Festival of Pizza’ Wasn’t an Accused Scammer’s First Flop

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Bofast posted:

For anyone who wants to read about yet another accused scammer. It's pretty wild:

Holy poo poo, I forgot about that pizza festival. There have been so many hilarious scam events, it's hard to keep track of them all.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Bofast posted:

Guy sounds Bi polar.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot about that pizza festival. There have been so many hilarious scam events, it's hard to keep track of them all.

i will do this until i get banned from this here forums

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:ohno:

Also that cake looks like it's made of loving play-doh lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
!raffle

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cig: happy cake!
Backer: R A P E

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

colonelwest posted:

Oh yeah, there already have been a few mental health breakdowns. There used to be a backer who went by Starloop on Reddit who was one of the biggest white knights and posted dozens of times a day to the SC sub. Suddenly in the midst of fighting another flame war, they had a big public meltdown when they finally realized that the game will never be finished, to the point that they admitted that they had nothing other than SC to look forward to in their lives. Sadly, there was a finality to it all to the point that they sounded suicidal and I think Beet reported it to the Reddit admins.

Unfortunately there probably will be cases of people hurting themselves or others over this mess when it finally ends, and I’m sure more than a few cases of stalking/threats against Chris and the devs.

I think a few of us contacted admins back then, but having done some additional digging after that whole thing, I came to believe Starloop was always what we originally thought he/she was.

Starloop had been on a vicious, ugly run of abuse for a long time. Left such a damning trail. And eventually people on discord or reddit directed him/her to our massive compilations of Starloop posts here on SA, and at that point, he/she realized they’d burnt that account completely. Immediately the switch to “my whole life has been a lie defending a bad game! my world is crashing down around me I’m sorry!” was an “exit stage left” plan, but I think it was to shut down a tainted reddit username.

There‘s never been a quicker 180 in the history of the Star Citizenry than Starloop’s. The switch was instantaneous, based on nothing CIG did or said in that time. The mea culpas played to our own stereotypes of citizen fragility. If there was even a five percent chance it was authentic, you obviously have to take it seriously. So it’s good we contacted the admins, but in hindsight, Im pretty sure it was a panicked shutdown of a toxic alt that had outlived its usefulness and destroyed its credibility through their blistering post history.

It’s hard to overstate just how ugly Starloop’s run was. In fact, before the switch, I made a video compilation of it (including some posts deleted by /sc mods) because I was so sick of him/her and shared it with a few goons a while back. I wanted to call Starloop out more publicly but wasn’t sure if doing so was a breach of reddit etiquette to compile toxic user posts in a video. A few goons felt it might be crossing the line, so I didn’t release it. It wasn’t long after that Starloop shut himself/herself down and negated the need.

Anyhoo, the whole matter will probably go in the “unsolved mystery” file of CIG history. Along with the AMD letter and whatnot...

:sandance:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
loving lol at those posts shittalking lethality. How do you even become such a rube that people instantly loses faith in anything you like?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bumble He posted:

poo poo you can make your custom magic cards... i am afraid that i will spam this thread with my custom cards soon.

https://www.mtgcardmaker.com/

That's a lot of blue! I guess excuses are game-breaking good.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

loving lol at those posts shittalking lethality. How do you even become such a rube that people instantly loses faith in anything you like?

A long history of being wrong and possibly annoying seems to suffice.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I like how he qualifies it with "she was beautiful" as if being an attractive minority exempts you from racism because, "I mean, like, I have no problems with pretty minority women I would totally allow them to be lucky enough to have sex with a white man."

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 4, 2020

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Beet Wagon posted:

Jesus christ lmao I didn't clock that those are all individual replies to the same tweet.

It really is the best community.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

monkeytek posted:

I like how he qualifies it with "she was beautiful" as if being an attractive minority exempts you from racism because, "I mean, like, I have no problems with pretty minority women I would totally allow them to be lucky enough to have sex with a white man."

Racism doesn't happen to attractive people of color. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Uh, he said the opposite. He was implying maybe the "racism" was her being harassed by someone who didn't "know how to talk to her". Not that she was exempt, but excusing the fact it happened.

Guy is a lovely fucker, it's the old thing where you excuse men for being socially aggressive because flirting in a pleasant way challenges them AND excusing racism.