Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Amen. Yesterday I made a burger that was a scant quarter-pound and holy poo poo I miss small burgers.

So many places just make the restaurant version of the greasy, spherical dad burger so laden with sauce and mayo that it inevitably slides right out of the stupid, inadequate bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why even grind the beef if you're gonna mash it back into a full chuck roast

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Riatsala posted:

Amen. Yesterday I made a burger that was a scant quarter-pound and holy poo poo I miss small burgers.

So many places just make the restaurant version of the greasy, spherical dad burger so laden with sauce and mayo that it inevitably slides right out of the stupid, inadequate bun.

yeah i dunno how this ever became popular, theres a maximum height to a burger: the space between your upper and lower teeth when you fully open your mouth, plus a little that can be squeezed, but in a lot of restaurant burgers the patty alone is bigger than my mouth let alone the other ingredients

i also dont think a burger should really be a giant dinner, it's a sandwich, a snack for when you want a relatively light meal thats still filling enough to be considered a full meal and which contains carbs and protein and vegetables. burgers arent even unhealthy if they are a normal size and contain a good balance of ingredients and arent fried to death in oil

i suspect it's an issue of economies of scale, a small, high-quality burger is labor intensive to make and requires a lot of stored ingredients that get used little by little, it's easier to just sell a giant gently caress off pile of poo poo for more money

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thinkin bout those burgers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Ok, has this gone through deep dream or not? I literally cannot tell

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

I have diarrhea just from looking at that photo.

I usually get a black bean burger at the bar I used to go to since their regular burger, while good, was waaaay too big. Veggie burgers tend to be immune to the insane size escalation. Plus they made their own black bean burgers and there was curry and whatnot in there, it was amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Veggie burgers tend to be immune to the insane size escalation
not in my experience

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have diarrhea just from looking at that photo.

It looks like there's enough cheese on it that you'd be plugged up for days.

And yeah, I shouldn't have to be able to unhinge my jaw like a god drat snake in order to eat a burger, nor should I have to use a knife and fork like a savage.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Mighty Moltres posted:

It looks like there's enough cheese on it that you'd be plugged up for days.

And yeah, I shouldn't have to be able to unhinge my jaw like a god drat snake in order to eat a burger, nor should I have to use a knife and fork like a savage.

Oddly high etiquette for a savage

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
If your burger is served on an actual plate, you're probably getting ripped off. Burgers are casual meals that should be treated as such.

If a restaurant does put your burger on a plate, you can recoup your losses by dumping the contents of the plate on to the table and making a huge mess for someone to clean up. This probably only works once per establishment, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

lavaca posted:

If your burger is served on an actual plate, you're probably getting ripped off. Burgers are casual meals that should be treated as such.

If a restaurant does put your burger on a plate, you can recoup your losses by dumping the contents of the plate on to the table and making a huge mess for someone to clean up. This probably only works once per establishment, though.

This is true. A burger is meant to be wrapped double in foil paper and then slapped firmly

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shibawanko posted:

i suspect it's an issue of economies of scale, a small, high-quality burger is labor intensive to make and requires a lot of stored ingredients that get used little by little, it's easier to just sell a giant gently caress off pile of poo poo for more money
Also people complain more about getting too little food than too much, so restaurants are encouraged to err on the side of giving too much per serving.

And then europeans come over here and are amazed at the idea of getting 3 meals' worth of food from a restaurant order and taking the leftovers home.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

It pisses me off how the Fifa games have no 'be taken over by a billionaire oligarch/middle Eastern Prince' option on their career modes, so I can hog wild with Wycombe Wanderers and sign outrageous players.

One of the fifas a few years ago had a glitch which gave you infinite money, and it was great fun building up a squad of sulking mercenaries and decimating the opposition.

Instead, career mode for lower league sides is an absolute slog, with a scouting mechanic that is completely unfit for purpose (your scouts will make helpful recommendations like 'sign raheem sterling', so the only way to realistically get it done is to look up all the players online and do it that way.

To make matters worse, on this edition of fifa, the board set you financial objectives, so not only do I have a miniscule transfer budget, but they also want me to make a net £900k profit in my first transfer window, so I basically have to sell my best players else get sacked.

I guess it's realistic, but it's really not fun at all.

Wider point : all games, regardless of genre, should have cheat codes that let you do whatever the gently caress you want, and it's petty and cruel that they don't.

Play Football Manager and you can edit the database to give you all the money you want.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I can't think of a way to phrase this without sounding like a dick, so I'll just say I don't mean to sound like a dick. If I can't fit my mouth around a burger, I just take more bites. Some from the top, then some from the bottom. I don't get why it's a dealbreaker for some.

I'm a small enough person that a $12 giant burger can be 2-3 days worth of food for me, so I'm all for this trend.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I hate it when companies or institutions try to incentivize you to look for information on their websites or other resources when the information there isn't even close to being up to date. Hiding their customer service number behind several links and a bunch of disclaimers.

I wanted to book a room for 4-5 people at a library and it is not a given these days that those are open, so it's really frustrating to get "Have you checked our website for...." for every place I call in when none of their local websites makes it clear that most of them are closed (Due to corona). No one is taking the time to correct information on their website, rendering it completely useless. I don't want to call customer service just to be bothersome, but I will if that is the only way to be sure I am receiving the correct information.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i dunno how this ever became popular, theres a maximum height to a burger: the space between your upper and lower teeth when you fully open your mouth, plus a little that can be squeezed, but in a lot of restaurant burgers the patty alone is bigger than my mouth let alone the other ingredients

i also dont think a burger should really be a giant dinner, it's a sandwich, a snack for when you want a relatively light meal thats still filling enough to be considered a full meal and which contains carbs and protein and vegetables. burgers arent even unhealthy if they are a normal size and contain a good balance of ingredients and arent fried to death in oil

It's a boomer thing. Boomers love to get huge meals for cheap, so the bigger the burger the better the deal.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The more I see it the more I get annoyed. His or her, his or her, he or she, his or her.
Forever, at some point it really started bugging me and it's only gotten more annoying.

I've been playing some rpgs lately, but that's really not the only place it comes up. Why the gently caress are people so insanely against using they and their, when they reference an unknown person?
Spell descriptions, class descriptions, conversations, every-loving-thing. Occasionally they'll use a specific gender in an almost arbitrary fashion, because again, they just cannot loving use 'they/them'.
Slap open a class description, like say, Paladins from DnD 5e and bam: ' Almost by definition, the life of a paladin is an adventuring life. Unless a lasting injury has taken him or her away from adventuring for a time, every paladin lives on the front lines of the cosmic struggle against evil. '

It's almost constant, and I don't understand why people keep using 3 words when they can just use 1.
Is it just some banal preference? I very much doubt that years-old games do it just to be contrary against current gender politics, but it's just so loving cludgy.

It's so loving banal, are people taught only to use they/them as a plural pronoun, or something?
(Sorry in advance to anyone else who is going to get peeved by how loving constantly people use 'he or she' instead of they.)

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

SubNat posted:

It's so loving banal, are people taught only to use they/them as a plural pronoun, or something?

it's exactly this (even though using they/them in the singular has always existed in English) and people get angrily pedantic about it being 'the correct way' as if anything else would be a blasphemous assault on all that is good and true and orderly in this world, casting us down the path to chaos and ruin

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In rpg books in particular I see writers switching arbitrarily between pronouns every sentence or paragraph. I really wish they’d just they, wish as a bonus is MORE inclusive anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ulex minor posted:

it's exactly this (even though using they/them in the singular has always existed in English) and people get angrily pedantic about it being 'the correct way' as if anything else would be a blasphemous assault on all that is good and true and orderly in this world, casting us down the path to chaos and ruin
Seconded. It's partially people clinging to idiotic prescriptivist grammar that never reflected real usage(especially where dialects and phrasing for new concepts are involved), partially people getting salty about inclusiveness.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I have two computer mouses. One, the middle mouse button (i.e. pressing the scroll wheel) doesn't work on about 1 out of 3 clicks. The other, the middle mouse button double-clicks on about 1 out of 3 clicks. Why do middle mouse buttons suck so hard?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know this is probably preaching to the choir but it really, really bothers me how long it takes to get coverage approval for procedures and medicine through the US healthcare system. It's not even the fact it takes a while that bugs me, rather the complete lack of action I can take to speed things up. There's no number for me to call, nobody to talk to about my case, no one to email. Nobody to give more information or medical records to. No website to visit, a portal that won't show me determinations in progress, and so on. I can call the doctor who ordered the procedure and ask them to put the screws to em but there's no guarantee that'll have any effect at all. There's literally nothing I can do but sit here in ever-increasing amounts of pain and unrest while some random computer system spends three weeks deciding whether or not it's ok for me to get a CT scan and sonogram on their dime.

It just ain't fair, man. Private companies shouldn't ever under any circumstance hold my life and health in their hands, not even for a second.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Jul 7, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In rpg books in particular I see writers switching arbitrarily between pronouns every sentence or paragraph. I really wish they’d just they, wish as a bonus is MORE inclusive anyway.

:agreed:

Although, I posit that it makes sense to use gendered pronouns if you're describing an interaction between two players, simply to make it a bit easier to follow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People saying "death of the author" when they mean "separating the art from the artist". Those are completely different things!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

When people talk to me

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

SubNat posted:

The more I see it the more I get annoyed. His or her, his or her, he or she, his or her.
Forever, at some point it really started bugging me and it's only gotten more annoying.

Funny, I just had this same thought yesterday. I was reading a self-help book and every single sentence was about how, "it helps him or her to know what he or she is getting into, so he or she can make the right choices for his or her life." I mean, I was also taught "they/them is only plural" in high school, but I think it's well past time to just let that one go.

It feels a little dirty to complain about this though, because I remember when I started to notice the shift from using "he" in every example to occasionally using "she" instead, and that made me happy. But it's just obnoxious to feel the need to cover all your bases 4 times in the same sentence.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

People need "one"

"it helps one to know what one is getting into, so one can make the right choices for one's life."

Nice

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Funny, I just had this same thought yesterday. I was reading a self-help book and every single sentence was about how, "it helps him or her to know what he or she is getting into, so he or she can make the right choices for his or her life." I mean, I was also taught "they/them is only plural" in high school, but I think it's well past time to just let that one go.

It feels a little dirty to complain about this though, because I remember when I started to notice the shift from using "he" in every example to occasionally using "she" instead, and that made me happy. But it's just obnoxious to feel the need to cover all your bases 4 times in the same sentence.

They being plural-only hasn't been true since at least Shakespeare. As a rule in english, any grammar rule that literate, native speakers routinely break and think "uh, this looks fine?" is almost guaranteed to be dumb poo poo from the past couple centuries that was prescribed to make english more similar to latin and to modern romance languages.

See: "to boldly go" and similar being wrong. In latin and french (and I assume the other romance languages but I don't know) this is impossible because infinitives are one word. Ire/aller/to go. "Don't split infinitives." Because, according to victorian assholes, you literally can't in latin, and latin should be good enough for us. But see english doesn't work like that. Our infinitives come in two parts. We can boldy go, even in the infinitive.

See also: the prepositions we "can't" end sentences with.

Brawnfire posted:

People need "one"

"it helps one to know what one is getting into, so one can make the right choices for one's life."

Nice

If we're bringing that into casual conversation can we also re-formalize and codify the split between thou, you, and y'all?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They being plural-only hasn't been true since at least Shakespeare. As a rule in english, any grammar rule that literate, native speakers routinely break and think "uh, this looks fine?" is almost guaranteed to be dumb poo poo from the past couple centuries that was prescribed to make english more similar to latin and to modern romance languages.

See: "to boldly go" and similar being wrong. In latin and french (and I assume the other romance languages but I don't know) this is impossible because infinitives are one word. Ire/aller/to go. "Don't split infinitives." Because, according to victorian assholes, you literally can't in latin, and latin should be good enough for us. But see english doesn't work like that. Our infinitives come in two parts. We can boldy go, even in the infinitive.

See also: the prepositions we "can't" end sentences with.

If we're bringing that into casual conversation can we also re-formalize and codify the split between thou, you, and y'all?

e: I also loving hate John Krazinski or whatever Jim from the Office's name is. The character was an rear end on the show, his deaf horror film was lovely, his youtube crap he sold was lovely, he sucks irl

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when anything to do with a woman's body is symbolized by a pair of fingers making a heart shape, like this:

i kind of get it if it's done as a visual euphemism for a vagina, because it's a reproductive organ and you can't just slap it on a bottle of ointment, but this was from an article about breasts (i'm a man i was just reading it out of curiosity)

why a heart? is it because women are inherently more loving? that's pretty sexist to begin with. it also just looks stupid

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure this is just a stock photo and you're reading too deep into it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

when anything to do with a woman's body is symbolized by a pair of fingers making a heart shape, like this:

i kind of get it if it's done as a visual euphemism for a vagina, because it's a reproductive organ and you can't just slap it on a bottle of ointment, but this was from an article about breasts (i'm a man i was just reading it out of curiosity)

why a heart? is it because women are inherently more loving? that's pretty sexist to begin with. it also just looks stupid

You're meant to love your body!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is pretty funny the way some advertisements will get around the US' puritanical mortal fear of mentioning the genitals or anything near them. Like that one commercial with a woman walking by a hedgerow all confident and smiling and the bushes get trimmed as she passes by - it's like the commercial's creator is nudging you with their elbow going 'eeeehhh? Geddit??'

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
People can't handle seeing a man's penis without going full panic and invoking AO, but Hannibal Lecter bisecting him and flaying his back fat spreading it like angel wings? That's fine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just a stock photo and you're reading too deep into it

ive never seen dick ointment with that symbol though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shibawanko posted:

ive never seen dick ointment with that symbol though

I was curious (not about the dick ointment thing) so I looked up this specific pic and it turns out (nsfw) people making hearts on their boobs with their fingers was a social media meme I guess??? The internet is a fascinating place.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

People can't handle seeing a man's penis without going full panic and invoking AO, but Hannibal Lecter bisecting him and flaying his back fat spreading it like angel wings? That's fine.

People are much more comfortable with violence than sexuality

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

american people are much more comfortable with violence than sexuality

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
More like oldpeenless

...Sorry I got nothin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

i hate how a vagina is symbolized using a pair of hands forming a heart in advertisment. i get it, it's got to do with making love so it's a heart and a heart also kind of looks like a mons pubis but it's such an overused visual cliche and it's on everything. it's also vaguely sexist

Shibawanko posted:

you're living in an episode of the twilight zone where some alien presence is running psychological experiments by bombarding you with this constant heart/hand imagery until you lose your mind