Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Is there a native tribe in the mid-atlantic region that would be ok licensing their name in a tasteful way? Pretty much anything will be better than an overt racial slur, but wiping all the native imagery and replacing it with white colonialist imagery is problematic in a different way. Hopefully they're smart enough to not go with anything military or political office related.

You could take the political messaging in a new direction and call them the DC 51s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

nerve posted:

Redtails is absolutely perfect. HTTR.

Like it's absolutely, 100% perfect. Turns a racist name into one honoring a group of minority trailblazers. It keeps their capital-R and color scheme. The replacement logo of the aviator in proud profile would be dope. You can do sweet WW2 restored plane fly-overs on game day. It's such a great idea that of course they won't do it.

On the other hand Warthogs is okay, too. Also, easy cash tie-in when Disney pays to get Lion King characters on the helmet as the logo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Washington Ravens

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sell the team to Kawalimus so Washington can join the bird teams.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

The Washington Ravens

Kawalimus just started twitching for so many reasons, some of them real!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
If they changed their name to a bird team I might actually get on board :D

But it has to be a songbird.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

change washington to the Redhawks, the giants to the Giant Birds, and the cowboys to the Birdboys. all-bird division

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Washington Mockingbirds.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Giant birds are called emus

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Washington HogHawks

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

The Washington Ravens

MODS

e: whatever mods are left that is

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Washington Slapnuts

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Washington Cassowaries

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Washington Watergates

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

pretty crazy how unproductive those offense have been with him.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Washington cowbirds.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The Washington R-Words with no further elaboration on what it means.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sharknado slashfic posted:

MODS

Yes?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FizFashizzle posted:

pretty crazy how unproductive those offense have been with him.

Bortles Needs Weapons

Did he ever sign with a new team?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kawalimus posted:

Columbia is named for Columbus which is the Latinized Colombo, which is Italian for Dove.

Bird connection complete.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The Washington football team news penetrated my bubble, but I haven't heard how this happened. Did a social media campaign cajole Fedex into taking the stance?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Mega64 posted:

Bortles Needs Weapons

Did he ever sign with a new team?

He spent a season backing up Goff and is now a free agent, I believe.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

The Washington football team news penetrated my bubble, but I haven't heard how this happened. Did a social media campaign cajole Fedex into taking the stance?

Probably something to do with the nationwide protests

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Magnetic North posted:

Easy meat for FedEx, Nike and PepsiCo to beef up their social justice cred

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Is everyone just forgetting that the Redtails have never had anything at all to do with the Washington, DC area?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wylie posted:

Is everyone just forgetting that the Redtails have never had anything at all to do with the Washington, DC area?

yeah but AMERICA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pretty bold to write all that and then put -REDSKINS- at the bottom.

edit: I feel bad even joking about this gonna remove my special olympics joke signed with a slur

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Wylie posted:

Do half the NFL any professional sport names have anything to do with the current geographic location of their team?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1279147543897747458

Better Than You posted:

Washington SuperSonics

washington twins

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Do half the NFL any professional sport names have anything to do with the current geographic location of their team?

Steelers, Ravens, Packers, 49ers, Texans, maybe Patriots when you factor for the Revolutionary War imagery.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

fartknocker posted:

Lots of teams, but Florida is actually good at it (shocking I know). Buccaneers, Marlins, sun/stingrays, lightning, gators, dolphins... all things Florida related. Just missing the meth.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wylie posted:

Unlike the famous Rams of Los Angeles and Cardinals of Arizona. I don't know anything about their ancient histories, but also Giants and Bears and Jets and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

romanowski posted:

change washington to the Redhawks, the giants to the Giant Birds, and the cowboys to the Birdboys. all-bird division

gently caress the Birdboys.

Also, Cowbirds would be better since that's a real thing.

In which case gently caress the Cowbirds.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sash! posted:

Columbia is named for Columbus which is the Latinized Colombo, which is Italian for Dove.

Bird connection complete.

Never knew that! But it's too distant of a connection to count.

If it were "Redtails" I'd just imagine red-tailed hawks which are numerous in the region.

Cowbirds would be hilarious.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Wylie posted:

it started in boston

yep

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

fartknocker posted:

There's none I can think of that are named for a specific place/thing that is this wildly different from where they were when they took the name. The Jazz started off in New Orleans, the Lakers in Minnesota- those are the most egregious examples I can think of. The Tuskegee Airmen trained in Alabama.

Mostly, I don't want Dan Snyder to trademark a name of a -different- group that was primarily notable for their skin color.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

MODS

i am a moderator, what can i do for you?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
washington warlocks has a ring to it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

If they actually did the "warblers of rock creek park" name I would seriously consider switching allegiances or at least making them on equal footing with the Ravens. I am not kidding. But that name would never get picked so :D

I don't think I could cheer against a team called that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Washington No Representations

Washington Disenfranchised

Washington 1812s