Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

END ME SCOOB posted:

Reminder if you're trying to narrow down your choices and, like me, hold a grudge: Basingstoke is Puppygames if that influences your "oh hell no never giving THEM money" stance after their giant meltdown years back.

I don't remember this, what did they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That’s some aggressive regional pricing on Horizon outside of the Eurozone, drat.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I can't believe it's 2020 and there's still no way to disable steam trading cards. Every time I get one, it spams the notification thing with a green number, and then I have to click on my inventory and wait for it to load so the green flag goes away.

yes, this is a serious post

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't remember this, what did they do?

They were the people behind a few very basic, very poorly designed clones of arcade titles in the early indie boom (Revenge of the Titans, Titan Attacks, etc) who proceeded to volunteer to be in one of the earliest Humble Bundles, then completely melted down when this proceeded to get a lot of people going "Hey, these clones of 80s arcade titles aren't very good" and they suddenly had to do millions of tech support requests on unoptimized games for pennies over multiple platforms. They straight up got out of PC dev for about 5 years over it, with a final pissy blog post going "You know what Phil Fish was right about everything, also gamers are bad because our titles only sell at a drastic loss". The post is here, and while there are a couple of things in here that are very "well, fair", there's also this:

quote:

But this leads us to another, darker, nastier, unwritten thing, that we all think but we don’t talk about, not ever. In fact the one time I ever did allude to it I was permanently banned from the TIGSource forums for daring to say it. But this is my piece of the internet and I can say what I like. And here it is – the bombshell. The more we argue, the more we bait the trolls, the more we seem to get into a death spiral of internet hate… the better it is for us. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Phil Fish may have turned in to a gibbering bearded recluse but now he’s a famous gibbering bearded recluse. Phil Fish only has to tweet a fart and it’ll be all over the internet. Given that discovery is the #1 problem for an indie developer (and always has been), you can see that the more infamous and terrible we are … the more money we make.

But it’s absolutely, utterly loving forbidden to ever say so.

Good old Phil is sitting pretty on a giant mound of cash the likes of which you will probably not even be able to comprehend, let alone earn in your lifetime. For every one of you that enjoyed denigrating him and thrilled at insulting him, there are now another thousand people who listen to every word he says. When he walks into the restaurant where you pitifully scrub the floor like a servile wretch in order to pay for DLC in DOTA2, you’ll call him sir.

And now here they are again shoving their stuff onto Humble because it was literally the only time this studio made money. Reminder: the end of that post is them going "god damnit you all devalued games so much that you cost us money to buy this" and here they are again, because they make crap games that they have to give away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

max payne 2 is one of my dark horse candidates for best-written video game, it exploits its medium and legacy to a degree that's been seldom seen before or since

remedy themselves have been trying to recapture it with every new release, to mixed success

Between that and the gameplay improvements it’s my choice for best sequel video game ever made. If you ask me what the best video game ever made is, I’m gonna tell you either Max Payne 2 or Prey (2017). They both perfectly execute very different concepts.

E:thinking about it, in the time between a few days before MP2 released (thanks, street date disregarding UPS guy!) and now, I’ve beaten MP2 over thirty times. It helps that it’s a very short and very fast paced game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oxxidation posted:

max payne 2 is one of my dark horse candidates for best-written video game, it exploits its medium and legacy to a degree that's been seldom seen before or since

remedy themselves have been trying to recapture it with every new release, to mixed success

Yeah it nails the absurd hypernoir, and its sort of a perfect length.

MAX, DEAREST OF MY FRIENDS

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Ambaire posted:

I can't believe it's 2020 and there's still no way to disable steam trading cards. Every time I get one, it spams the notification thing with a green number, and then I have to click on my inventory and wait for it to load so the green flag goes away.

yes, this is a serious post

The Steam client has a lot - A LOT - of usability failings that they have yet to rectify. They have been getting better about it somewhat, though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol i held off on waiting to buy stuff cuz maybe the humble monthly would have things in it. the gently caress is wrong with my stupid rear end.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

kater posted:

lol i held off on waiting to buy stuff cuz maybe the humble monthly would have things in it. the gently caress is wrong with my stupid rear end.
You'd be madder if you bought a bunch of poo poo that was then in the bundle.

(this bundle sucks though)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s a good selection of games, but the problem is, when there’s a bunch of good games in a humble bundle, you’ve probably already bought a lot of them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

There’s nowhere for this character left to go.

He can go bald!

I enjoyed Max Payne 3, but I do wish it'd taken a very different tack. Max used to be The Punisher, but now he's Deadpool. He's completely lost his mind and uses his bullet time powers for score attack purposes. Every combat encounter has a Platinum Games style results screen, also featuring pictures of some of your best kills in that fight in comic book form. Probably tie it in to that Valkyr drug, but who cares at that point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

But that's effectively the same ending as MP1! The only difference is Woden and Bravura wink at you at the end of MP1 to make it clear Max will get away with it.

Well that’s where consistency of theme and tone comes in. The first game is good, it’s fun, but it’s a cartoon. A great cartoon. It’s ridiculous, knows it, and just throws more and more ridiculous stuff at you until the end. That’s why I love it.

However that does comes at the expense of the actual story it’s trying to tell and I never really feel the vengeance the game wants me to. Max Payne 2 certainly has more than it’s fair share of ridiculous but doesn’t go quite as far and goes to far, far greater lengths to sell these moments to the player in an emotionally true way.

For example Vlad is retconned in the last 1/3 of the game to not only a villain but as someone who was also involved with the death of Max’s family AND a prodigal son of the inner circle. Without even playing the first game I’d argue he makes more of an emotional impact than anything Gognitti, Lupino, Frankie, Punchinello, BB, and Horne do combined throughout the entirety of the first game.

You’re right that it’s the same ending. Hell it’s almost the same story just with a few new faces and expanded roles. I may not be storming secret underground military bases or over-militarized corporate office buildings but what I am doing not only plays way better but pays off way harder.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

He can go bald!

I enjoyed Max Payne 3, but I do wish it'd taken a very different tack. Max used to be The Punisher, but now he's Deadpool. He's completely lost his mind and uses his bullet time powers for score attack purposes. Every combat encounter has a Platinum Games style results screen, also featuring pictures of some of your best kills in that fight in comic book form. Probably tie it in to that Valkyr drug, but who cares at that point.

I love playing Max Payne 3. I can never forgive it for being a Max Payne game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MP2 was so satisfying as a game that I felt literally 0 hype about MP3.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Speaking of Max Payne and Punisher I loaded up the mod for Max Payne 2, Punisher Warzone. Some uh interesting choices were made...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love MP2 for all the goofy in game TV shows. I stop and watch each one every time.

Also the game kicks rear end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Aragami is 4$. Someone tell me it's the 3D Mark of the Ninja game I'm looking for.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aragami is 4$. Someone tell me it's the 3D Mark of the Ninja game I'm looking for.
Kind of? It's a lot of fun (especially in co-op) but the stealth is very specific and built around magical shadow powers more than traditional sneaking, giving the game more of a puzzle element where you solve the specific guard/light layouts.
I'd definitely go for it at that price, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

I love playing Max Payne 3. I can never forgive it for being a Max Payne game.

Because most of the time, it isn't. It's a John Wick game before John Wick came out. But goddamn, the flashback bits to when he's in New York? I'd kill to see the old games remade with those assets.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Because most of the time, it isn't. It's a John Wick game before John Wick came out. But goddamn, the flashback bits to when he's in New York? I'd kill to see the old games remade with those assets.

Max Payne 3 really excels when max goes from being a washed up drunk to a wrecking ball of righteous fury after he finds the organ harvesting operation. It’s the first time in the game where the character feels like Max Payne and it’s a shame it’s so late in the game.

I’d for sure play a Euphoria engine remake of the first two games though, holy poo poo the shooting in MP3 was insanely good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody have Wreckfest? Worth the 15 bucks?

How about the season pass?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wouldn't put Aragami near Mark of the Ninja but $4 is a good deal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I love MP2 for all the goofy in game TV shows. I stop and watch each one every time.

Also the game kicks rear end.

They aren’t just goofy either. Both of the shows that you run into throughout the game are there to thread back into the game’s story. These aren’t exactly complicated connections but they also aren’t just funny things to listen to while still images rotate (they are also that).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Kind of? It's a lot of fun (especially in co-op) but the stealth is very specific and built around magical shadow powers more than traditional sneaking, giving the game more of a puzzle element where you solve the specific guard/light layouts.
I'd definitely go for it at that price, though.

Hwurmp posted:

I wouldn't put Aragami near Mark of the Ninja but $4 is a good deal.

Sounds cool, thanks. I'm kinda doing a sweep of my wishlist for any of the stragglers. I don't want to get every 5$ game on the list because that'd quickly inflate the price but picking some off over the years has been real satisfying.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What Max Payne 3 is is... meh. I dare anyone who disagrees to play MP2 and MP3 back to back in either order. Both the storytelling and the game mechanics are absolute dogshit by comparison. Not that MP3 has no strong points - it's visually quite good with a lot of attention to detail, probably some of the best detail animations in a game pre-Uncharted 4(although they are part of what makes the game mediocre since they negatively effect gameplay), the voice acting is really good, and there are a lot of really great sequences, but as a whole it cannot begin to live up to MP2. The multiplayer, though, was surprisingly good - probably the best tacked on p2p multiplayer experience I've seen yet.

I agree that it would have been much better as a Punisher game. If I wasn't playing it expecting incredibly sharp gameplay and industry-leading storytelling, but just a hate-filled rage story, I would have probably liked it a lot more. I never would have forgiven its technical sins, though. What an absolute joke all the fake loading and unskippable animations were. Incredible that a game was released in 2012 without the effort to allow the player to skip to 1 second before assuming control.

I also totally agree that from a storytelling perspective there was just no reason for it to be the game that it was. Max Payne 2 wrapped Max's story up just fine, if they wanted to continue the series great, but it shouldn't have been a sequel focused on Max.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 3, 2020

Jagwires
May 31, 2009
How is Metro Exodus? The only thing I remember about its launch was all of the poo poo it got because it was one of the first Epic exclusives. I don't remember if people actually liked it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jagwires posted:

How is Metro Exodus? The only thing I remember about its launch was all of the poo poo it got because it was one of the first Epic exclusives. I don't remember if people actually liked it.

I bounced off it pretty quick but I’ve done that with all three metro games. I don’t know why but they just feel weird to me, like my character is moving through some kind of syrup.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jagwires posted:

If you liked any of the previous Metro games, then it is basically more of that, but bigger and better. It's unambiguously a pretty great game.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

skooma512 posted:

Anybody have Wreckfest? Worth the 15 bucks?

How about the season pass?

Not worth. The progression is ruined by a community mod that everyone downloads that gives everything to you for free which makes multiplayer kinda pointless. They upgraded the physics to be way more arcadey. There's also a plethora of dorks that play the game as if it's a simulation and get mad at you if you ram them, which is literally the entire point of the game. There was a period of time where it was well worth the money for this game, but that time has well passed.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jagwires posted:

People liked it actually so much, in such a stupid way, that Metro Last Light was review bombed on Steam to "Mixed" but the actual Exodus pre-order release on Steam (they didn't remove that one) was "Very positive" all the way until EGS exclusivity ended.

It's a good game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
May Payne 3 has insane pacing issues because it yanks control away from the player every few seconds to play one of its precious cutscenes. I could not get into the flow because of it.

May Payne 2 is still amazing all those years later. Looks fine, plays well, cheesy as hell and proud of it. Love it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah I love Max Payne 2 it's one of the few games I go back to over and over again.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Verlet Swing also looks interesting. Seems like another pretty solid bundle.

Agreed, this is an outstanding monthly. Even got the $4 off offer to please resub, which I feel kinda bad about :unsmith:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Our goonintide discord is pretty much just deep rock/occasional other games/pictures of animals at this point so you can treat it as a DRG discord

I tried joining goonintide but it said the link expired.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Soul Glo posted:

Control is great.

Rad story, extremely cool levels (including one of the coolest sequences in any game in recent memory) and fun powers.

Play it on easy if you have to, but it's good as hell.

This is sort of the problem I feel, with all of Remedys games. Great ideas, settings, and story, all saddled with endless boring combat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jagwires posted:

Do you think what Metro needed was to be more like the new Far Cry’s? Then yes it’s good.

That’s a bit of an exaggeration but except for some distinct “dungeons” half the game takes place in open world areas, dotted with interest points to explore, loot, and/or stealth/fight in. Instead of the bullet currency there is instead some light crafting. It’s still good and still Metro but a different kind of Metro, though I also think it did lose some of 2033’s and Last Light’s atmosphere.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Aw man, I really don't like how the changes from doom2016 to Eternal feel. I was really looking forward to this game too. At least I figured that out fast enough to get a refund. Think I'll pick up Monster Train once the money gets back to me.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

That would be because it's a Man on Fire game, except the kidnap victim isn't someone you can sympathize with so the rampage doesn't have as much impact.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

Do you think what Metro needed was to be more like the new Far Cry’s? Then yes it’s good.

That’s a bit of an exaggeration but except for some distinct “dungeons” half the game takes place in open world areas, dotted with interest points to explore, loot, and/or stealth/fight in. Instead of the bullet currency there is instead some light crafting. It’s still good and still Metro but a different kind of Metro, though I also think it did lose some of 2033’s and Last Light’s atmosphere.

It being open world totally killed it for me. It's good but I couldn't get more than a few hours in then losing interest

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jamfrost posted:

Oh hey, anyone know any good co-op games for 5 people minimum?

I can find loads of good ones for four people, but 5 is way more difficult.

There are 6 people in my group of friends that like to play together, so I know what you're saying. We've got into 7 Days To Die for co-op crafting and zombie slaying, and it's been some good fun. Waiting for the new A19 stable release to drop so we can restart the server and begin again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Those fuckers at EA put the C&C Remastered Collection on sale starting today.