Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

The media is spending most of its time assuring everyone that there was definitely no racial motive when the guy with the prominent swastika tattoo and his brother beat and stabbed a black man to death with a broken bottle. According to the defense attorney police haven't even asked the accused if it was racially motivated. Nothing to see here.

Also note that this person was rejected by Stram Kurs. The following quote is bizarrely honest (source: https://ekstrabladet.dk/112/kasseret-af-stram-kurs-drabssigtet-tatoveret-med-hagekors/8178251)

quote:

Et par uger før drabet på en 28-årig dansk-afrikaner natten til tirsdag i Nordskoven ved Rønne optrådte en af de to sigtede brødre med en synlig nazistisk tatovering ved et af Stram Kurs-lederen Rasmus Paludans politiske møder på Bornholm.

Det bekræfter partiets kredschef på øen, Charlotte Grønbech. Hun deltog selv i det offentlige aften-'poolparty' i sommerhusområdet Dueodde 12. juni om aftenen. Der var ikke så mange til stede, og der blev ikke taget billeder eller optaget video.

- Han havde shorts på, og man kunne tydeligt se en hagekors-tatovering på hans ene ben. Det var ikke noget, han forsøgte at skjule, siger Charlotte Grønbech, som ikke er i tvivl om, at den unge mand er identisk med den 25-årige og ældste af de to nu drabssigtede brødre.

- Mine sønner var der også, og de kender ham fra Rønne. Det gør alle. Det med nazi-tegnet - altså, det er okay med mig, hvis man i kådhed får sådan en tatovering som 16-årig. Men at vise det frem på den måde - det er ikke i orden, mener Charlotte Grønbech.

So, uh, he was rejected for not keeping his nazi tattoos hidden :|

One thing about the media coverage I don't like is the usage of "afro-dansker" and "afrikansk-dansk" when describing the victim. No, he was not. He was a danish man of african descent and with dark skin, who was likely killed in a hate-crime. I don't understand how even redox uses this term. It makes sense in an American context, but in a Danish context it's bad. Covering the hate crime is important, but that's possible without using alieanating language. Even when someone is killed because of what makes them different from the majority, media has a responsibility to not talk into this discourse of alienation. It's completely unnecessary. I'm not arguing that facts should be omitted, but to be mindful of descriptive language.

I also think it's weird how media focuses on the friendship and relations between the victim and the accused, as if hate crimes cannot occur between long-time acquaintances and friends. It can, and does, happen, very often. Some of the worst and most hateful crimes fit this mold.

Those who did this need to be taken out of society for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Tegnell is upset that WHO pointed out Sweden as a risk country, says they should have called us and asked

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/who-pekar-ut-sverige-som-sarskilt-riskland-hor-tegnells-svar

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Did Denmark open their Scanian border just long enough to lure Cardiac over then closed it once they had him? Very cunning :thunk:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Sweden is surely worse off than the UK or the US! The WHO is smoking some bad poo poo.

This is just getting politizised. I mean we suck compared to norway and denmark but compared to the rest of western europe things are pretty average here.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Sweden is surely worse off than the UK or the US! The WHO is smoking some bad poo poo.

This is just getting politizised. I mean we suck compared to norway and denmark but compared to the rest of western europe things are pretty average here.

To be fair, WHO is talking about resurgence. It can't get worse for a second time if it never got better. Also, the WHO statement is confirmation that Sweden had an improvement significant enough to talk about resurgence! Tegnell is bad at populism - he should take the opportunity and proclaim that the resurgence, as confirmed by WHO, is proof just how successful the Swedish method has been in controlling the Stockholm outbreak, and this will be repeated for local outbreaks.

As for the US, are they even in the WHO these days? :D

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Yeah, the US has hosed up their response to the point where there isn't a risk of a massive resurgence* - it's a certainty, locked in.

*A resurgence in explosive growth, there's not much reason to think they actually made cases drop during their weak "lockdowns", based on the discrepancy between reported deaths and excess deaths.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PederP posted:

So, uh, he was rejected for not keeping his nazi tattoos hidden :|

It's okay if you carelessly get a swastika etched into your flesh at 16, however. Just totally alright.

This is all eerily reminiscent of that time when they downplayed the racial motivations behind 16-year-old Deniz Uzun being clubbed to death.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

PederP posted:

To be fair, WHO is talking about resurgence. It can't get worse for a second time if it never got better. Also, the WHO statement is confirmation that Sweden had an improvement significant enough to talk about resurgence! Tegnell is bad at populism - he should take the opportunity and proclaim that the resurgence, as confirmed by WHO, is proof just how successful the Swedish method has been in controlling the Stockholm outbreak, and this will be repeated for local outbreaks.

They changed their mind and now agree that the surge in new cases is due to increased testing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kamrat posted:

Tegnell is upset that WHO pointed out Sweden as a risk country, says they should have called us and asked

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/who-pekar-ut-sverige-som-sarskilt-riskland-hor-tegnells-svar
Tegnell tears best tears

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mooey Cow posted:

Did Denmark open their Scanian border just long enough to lure Cardiac over then closed it once they had him? Very cunning :thunk:

He can stay on Lindholm.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mooey Cow posted:

Please please please keep him

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Please please please keep him

gently caress no.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Maybe Sweden could start trying to prevent thousands of people from dying instead of :qq: about how mean WHO is to them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Maybe Sweden could start trying to prevent thousands of people from dying instead of :qq: about how mean WHO is to them.

But it’s summerrrrr

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

SplitSoul posted:

gently caress no.

Again, Lindholm.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

gently caress no.
Maybe they can put him on that island they planned to stick refugees on, totally unrelated to the armed forces conducting live fire exercises nearby.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Maybe they can put him on that island they planned to stick refugees on, totally unrelated to the armed forces conducting live fire exercises nearby.

https://da.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindholm_(Stege_Bugt)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

I think you're confused. The refugees are already stuck between live fire ranges, the suggestion was to move them to a plague island.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Really loving the unironic "But he had a black acquaintance"-narrative about the Bornholm murder. :discourse:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think you're confused. The refugees are already stuck between live fire ranges, the suggestion was to move them to a plague island.

Via the only connecting ferry named Virus.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Again, Lindholm.
We don't want him in Vendsyssel either!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ah yes, classic mistake that; underestimating danish racist shitheadedness

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also, it's not "between", it's literally *inside* a large area designated for military exercises. They subject PTSD-stricken refugees to around-the-clock sounds of gunfire and explosions. There are videos of parents consoling crying children who think they're back in a warzone. The people responsible belong in the loving Haag.

Social Democrats promised to at least move the families, but AFAIK it hasn't happened yet.

The Minister of Integration, who by the way himself is the son of an Ethiopian refugee, just terminated contracts with the Danish Refugee Council—it will now be the so-called Repatriation Service that handles sending people back. It will be horrifying to see what kinds of abuses they can come up with.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Also, it's not "between", it's literally *inside* a large area designated for military exercises.
Sure, but we're not yet at the point where the areas they live in are cleared for actually firing into or dropping bombs on.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A bunch of my colleagues organised a beach picnic thing by the beach today. I was sorely tempted but considering the beach would be jam packed, the busses to said beaches would be stuffed (confirmed later by local papers) and considering no one wears masks in this God forsaken country, I reluctantly stayed home.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

McCloud posted:

A bunch of my colleagues organised a beach picnic thing by the beach today. I was sorely tempted but considering the beach would be jam packed, the busses to said beaches would be stuffed (confirmed later by local papers) and considering no one wears masks in this God forsaken country, I reluctantly stayed home.

Stay safe goon, we need your posting!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McCloud posted:

Yeah we biked around and stayed far the gently caress away from other people this WE

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
This kind of poo poo pisses me off, lot's of artists live paycheck to paycheck and they get nothing, while big artists have an easier time so get money even though they really don't need any.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/stora-artister-far-krisstod-sma-artister-blir-utan
I think it's obvious that the priority should lie with helping the little guys.

Jill Johnson answers the critique with some bullshit that doesn't even answer why she needs the money now.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/jill-johnson-svara-pa-kritiken-kring-stodpengarna-ni-borde-skammas

quote:

Jag skäms inte. Jag bidrar till samhället och har gjort det sedan jag var tonåring. Jag har inte sökt vare sig ett stipendium eller bidrag tidigare, och jag hoppas innerligt att jag aldrig mer behöver söka något. Att bli tilltalad som en människa som ”tar från de bättre behövande” är otroligt smärtsamt, när så mycket jag vill stå för att vara just en människa som bidrar. Ni som aningslöst vräker ur er, ni borde skämmas

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul posted:

The Minister of Integration, who by the way himself is the son of an Ethiopian refugee, just terminated contracts with the Danish Refugee Council—it will now be the so-called Repatriation Service that handles sending people back. It will be horrifying to see what kinds of abuses they can come up with.

And who did they think it best to lead this shitshow? Why, it's disgraced official Claes Nilas from the infamous statelessness case, where Palestinians were denied citizenship for years in contravention of UN treaties! Marvelous.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

As a Swede I feel like on a personal level and business level people are (mostly) taking this pandemic very seriously.

Makes me wonder if Sweden's incredibly bad corona situation has more to do with the system that existed before the pandemic than the response to the pandemic.

Like we got enough of a welfare state so that government funded staff run around the entire country poking old and sick people on a daily basis. But not enough of a welfare state that these workers have any sort of job security or the support needed to apply due caution in the middle of a global pandemic.

Also lol at Norwegians feet. What's up with that?

The little toe is like half way to the heel. This explains why Norwegians always wear socks with sandals.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Katt posted:

As a Swede I feel like on a personal level and business level people are (mostly) taking this pandemic very seriously.

Taking it seriously isn't really enough. The "controlled burn" / shielding-the-vulnerable strategy seems to have led to a poor outcome in all countries where it was tried, in the case of the UK and Netherland even despite their change of strategy. I reckon this is because the value of "taking it seriously" scales with the prevalence of infection in the population. Once it gets above a certain level, you need to actively reduce activity and change contact patterns. I suspect Sweden can do this without a full lockdown, but some combination of test-trace-isolate and shutting down various high-interaction activities is a necessity.

It would be awesome if appealing to personal responsibility worked, but I think it's a bit of a cop-out. This virus is incredibly infectious, *sometimes*. Most individuals don't infect many, if any, others. But a few spread it like crazy. Combine that with asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spreaders, and it's unreasonable to rely solely on individual action. Some degree of collective action is needed.

Also, I think any and all ideas about herd immunity and/or flu-style epidemic burnout should be discarded. Any infection should be considered undesired. Shielding the vulnerable is mutually exclusive with accepting infection spreading among the "healthy" and young. It's also dumb when it seems like post-infection complications are a thing for a significant number.

It's not like Sweden needs a curfew and shutting down everything to get on top of this, but I wish there would be an acceptance that the plan of building immunity in the population is simply not a good idea. It was a gamble, would have worked with a different virus, but admit defeat and move on.

That being said there are still voices in Denmark who talk about herd immunity and express genuine disappointment that the epidemic is halted almost completely. I think the US is about to show everyone else why dreams of herd immunity need to stop right now. This is not a virus you want to infect anyone - the risk of complications and spreading to the vulnerable is too great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Katt posted:

loving please. Everyone is dining in with little to no restriction, nobody wears masks, I have to remind people *every*time* I shop to back the gently caress off, the list goes on.

PederP posted:

It's not like Sweden needs a curfew and shutting down everything to get on top of this
It loving is tho. You lock up hard for 4 weeks and contact-trace after, with harsh enforcement. There's no magic way.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

evil_bunnY posted:

loving please. Everyone is dining in with little to no restriction, nobody wears masks, I have to remind people *every*time* I shop to back the gently caress off, the list goes on.

Yeah, people have stopped caring, I see buses full of people whereas in the beginning hardly anyone rode the bus, people walk ever closer and closer in the store. I was even invited to a big indoor party that I politely said no to.

It's like people think this thing is over already when we're in the middle of it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark we're basically pretending we won, while occasionally disinfecting our hands and not using elevators with other people in them unless we've been waiting a bit. Handshakes are limited is really the best I can say. At least, that's my experience.

I do know some at risk people who are just staying put, but that just makes everyone else chill more.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sure am looking forward to entering make-work just in time for the projected second wave. At least I got my hands on some masks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BonHair posted:

In Denmark we're basically pretending we won, while occasionally disinfecting our hands and not using elevators with other people in them unless we've been waiting a bit. Handshakes are limited is really the best I can say. At least, that's my experience.

I do know some at risk people who are just staying put, but that just makes everyone else chill more.
I'm in two risk categories (cancer patient less than 5 years ago and newly-diagnosed diabetes haver), and I've been forced back into work-training (used to be called revalidation; which I was put in because apparently I have to work 1 hour a week for some undetermined amount of time to prove that I can't work).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:qq: The murderers suffered from mild autism and ADHD and it doesn't matter that the one with the swastikas and "WHITE POWER" etched into his flesh knew the full lyrics to The White Man Marches On and was fond of singing it in between bursts of antisemitism and calling for ethnic cleansing as he attended Stram Kurs gatherings, racism could not have been involved when he savagely beat, burned and stabbed the black man; he had friends of colour.

https://www.information.dk/indland/2020/07/drabet-skoven-bornholmske-broedre-laenge-vaeret-berygtet

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The guy he killed was his friend of color, too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

The guy he killed was his friend of color, too.

You're missing the point. Some of them are still alive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, my point is that people are pointing to him having friends of color as some kind of evidence for him somehow not being racist, when he literally killed a colored friend in a racist killing.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

No, my point is that people are pointing to him having friends of color as some kind of evidence for hun somehow not being racist, when he literally killed a colored friend in a racist killing.

That's what I'm riffing on. Can't be racist, he left several of his POC friends alive.

Reminder that it took literally six hours from the time of his shooting death to the public announcement that Omar El-Hussein was a terrorist motivated by radical Islamist beliefs.