Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Goddamn, well played by Fedule there :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Those 11 year probations really are a beautiful 'kick the can two decades down the line not my problem anymore'.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Outrail posted:

Those 11 year probations really are a beautiful 'kick the can two decades down the line not my problem anymore'.

Has anyone officially served their time on one of those and come back?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

yep

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lungfish (I think that was the username) just had one expire a month or two ago and posted a bit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i thought tommyfilth had one as well

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lungfish (I think that was the username) just had one expire a month or two ago and posted a bit.

What a time to come back.

Like spending the entire party in the bathroom and coming back to everyone throwing up and going home.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

100,000 hours ago is when I first registered, so it's safe to say they didn't miss much

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jeza posted:

Not confused, this is the post you were looking for:

Turns out I was the one mixing up stories! Thanks friends

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I think Glistening Hodor got like 5 or 6 years into his before it was undone and he came back.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

they only became a thing about 10 years ago, so the first ones have been starting to wear off over the past year or so, and a few people have come back

willing to be that they are people who just kept posting on a parachute account or why the hell would they have remembered?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

they only became a thing about 10 years ago, so the first ones have been starting to wear off over the past year or so, and a few people have come back

willing to be that they are people who just kept posting on a parachute account or why the hell would they have remembered?

I definitely would have set a reminder. I frequently do that to remind myself to tweet or post about stuff months away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

broke: canceling Skullgirls at EVO

woke: canceling EVO at Skullgirls

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gaukler posted:

Your wife is so fat and irradiated, she needs a tresimeter!!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stoatbringer posted:

Is "Alive Girl" DC or Marvel?

Krowley posted:

Neither, you're thinking of refrigerator girl

Dick Burglar posted:

That's the opposite of an "alive" girl.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For the minority of non-losers who don't know-- a "fridge" character is when a supporting cast member, usually a woman, is killed off to motivate a main character, usually a man. This happens so often in superhero comics that it's now a 3 decade-old joke that shows no real signs of ever stopping.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

mind the walrus posted:

For the minority of non-losers who don't know-- a "fridge" character is when a supporting cast member, usually a woman, is killed off to motivate a main character, usually a man. This happens so often in superhero comics that it's now a 3 decade-old joke that shows no real signs of ever stopping.

I've always wondered, why is it called that? Like is it based on an actual example or is it just metaphorical?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Danaru posted:

I've always wondered, why is it called that? Like is it based on an actual example or is it just metaphorical?

Actual example. In 1993 after a character "Kyle Rayner" took on the title of Green Lantern, his girlfriend was killed and literally stuffed into a refrigerator:

There was no reason to do this either. The enemy that did this to Rayner didn't go on to be some particularly juicy thematic nemesis, Rayner never needed the "extra push" nor did he need a particular example of how hero work was dangerous to humble him. It was done pretty much "just because." The best explanation is that the writers couldn't think of anything else to do with the girlfriend character-- because who wants to identify with a hero if he can't womanize? -- and felt it was a good shock moment to get them through the month... and that's lame.

So eventually actual good female writer Gail Simone coined the term "fridged" for when this happens to a character and a contingent of fans started recognizing this cheap bullshit for the cheap bullshit it is. Marvel is overall better on this than DC, usually relegating cheap "motivation" deaths to the origin story and usually making it thematically worthwhile.

That said it's honestly not even the worst example out there of a supporting lady suffering a horrible fate just to motivate the boys-- that honor is still held by Sue Dibny in 2004's Identity Crisis. Don't look that one up on a weak stomach.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Didn't the Wasp get eaten alive and on-panel once? I also remember a Marvel comic (can't be arsed to remember which one) in which someone calls out Captain America for being squicked out that a brother and sister anre banging (which is why I wan't arsed to remember it).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both of those are Ultimate Marvel which was entirely garbage except for the Spider-Man content. It's where Miles Morales came from.

The siblings were Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, with pretty much the sole exception of Miles Morales, if you ever wonder where [god-awful comic book thing] came from it almost certainly came from Ultimate. Ultimate was real bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Didn't the Wasp get eaten alive and on-panel once? I also remember a Marvel comic (can't be arsed to remember which one) in which someone calls out Captain America for being squicked out that a brother and sister anre banging (which is why I wan't arsed to remember it).

Yes. That was in Jeph Loeb's Ultimatum around 2007, and while that was ghastly that was more "edgelord for edgelord's sake" which is subtle but distinct, because comics are that loving terrible. I could be misremembering but if I'm not mistaken that was just an early event in the book to indicate "poo poo be wack and no one is safe yo" and thematically the Wasp dying didn't really mean much for any of the characters' subsequent arcs-- e.g: it could have been just about anyone who was eaten. Jeph Loeb is terrible. Don't support anything he touches.

A good contrast from the same time is Lian Harper-- a cute orphan infant being raised by recovering drug addict Roy Harper (aka Green Arrow's 20-something former sidekick)-- who was fridged via a villain's earthquake machine just so Roy Harper could get super angry, depressed, go back on drugs, become a villain for a bit, and then die in a blaze of glory. The key there is that Lian was a supporting player who solely existed in relation to a male character who was killed off at the exact instant she became old enough to exist as a character in her own right, and not a plot device. She had her potential deliberately cut off to motivate an existing main character in a trite and frankly uninteresting way.

Another ur-example from before the actual "fridging" event happened, and much more well-known, was when Barbara Gordon (aka Batgirl) was shot in the spine and then sexually assaulted in "The Killing Joke" in 1989. She didn't have any real life inside of the story up to that point, she just shows up and gets shot solely to motivate her father and Batman into deciding whether or not they should just kill the Joker. The writer-- Alan Moore-- has gone on record saying that he regrets writing it and that it really was just "shock value for shock value's sake" and it absolutely set the example that you can see me listing in four separate DC Comics events in a 15 year-span.

So fridging isn't just "a supporting character died in a brutally unfair way," it's "a supporting character died in a brutally unfair way and it's clearly done solely to motivate a main character."

------------------------------------------------------------

Now content:

Cradle to the Grape posted:

Love how he keeps saying "bipolar alcoholic woman" like it's some kind of fuckin' Dungeons and Dragons monster that devours sad doughy guys.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i have 100% resistance to women, and men

e: or wait, whats the negative one. they hurt me a lot :qq:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

Me at 4 in the morning after I didn't manage to pick a chick, again

Data Graham posted:

Wait

Explain to me how clocks work in Germany plz

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wendigee posted:

never had shy bladder... i suffer from shy penis though

it goes right up into my guts if someone looks at it, otherwise its fine and perfectly normal sized

Anticheese posted:

Michigan J. Hog :hmmyes:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ultimate marvel was like if Maddox wrote the Avengers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The key thing about a fridging is that the character isn't just killed off, but then completely forgotten once the protagonist stops being sad about it, and it's like they never existed.

It's not exactly exclusive to comics; happens enough in movie sequels that Austin Powers makes fun of it with the last movie's love interest turning out to have been killed offscreen and replaced by a robot, and he just goes 'Now I'm single again!'

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I tried it once and didn't like it, but then I tried it again and it was a lot of fun. It was a resounding success!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

I'm so angry I got this pun without having to click through for context.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Joe Bogan posted:

:yeah:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Was it this thread where we discussed a foreign language word about staying up heh you’re exhausted because you just want to claim some time as your own? I’m trying to remember the word and the language.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Trevor Hale posted:

Was it this thread where we discussed a foreign language word about staying up heh you’re exhausted because you just want to claim some time as your own? I’m trying to remember the word and the language.

I think it was Chinese and it was something like awake vengeance time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Joe Bogan posted:

:oh:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

직업 복수

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trevor Hale posted:

https://twitter.com/daphnekylee/status/1277101831693275136

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Joe Bogan posted:

:same:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Joe Bogan posted:

:mad::hf::mad:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

dokmo posted:

First, the midgets would need to concentrate all the gorillas into a single location. A ring of midgets surrounds the gorillas -- if midgets are, say, 40cm wide, and the gorillas are spread out over a 1 km^2 area, you'd need 22,000 midget to form a ring around the gorillas. But a gorilla could easily break through that ring, so you'd reinforce the ring by making it 10 midgets deep. And then, have every midget in that ring carry another midget on his shoulders, just for fun. That takes up only 440,000 midgets. Now, the midget ring begins to tighten up on the gorillas: one by one midgets back out of the ring, which closes that much tighter in their wake. The gorillas begin to feel the squeeze!

As the midget ring tightens up around the gorillas, the remaining midgets keep reinforcing the outside of the ring so that the increasingly agitated gorillas cannot break out. Finally the gorillas are packed together as tight as can be. Now the midgets outside the ring climb over their compatriots towards the gorillas. When they reach the inner edge of the ring, they jump on a gorilla. More midgets follow and jump on any gorilla part they can see, or, failing that, they jump on a fellow midget.

How much weight would it take to hold a gorilla down? I don't know -- it would probably take at least 100 kg to hold me down, so let's say these are super gorillas that would require 10x that number. Say each midget weighs an average of 40kg. Each gorilla would need 25 midgets to hold them down, or 1500 to do all 60.

My plan for midget domination ensures a minimum of midget casualties and a humane, suffocating death for the gorillas. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Haha gently caress

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im 100% sure there is a tediously detailed diagram of Data's robot cock and how it works out there

Pick posted:

okudaglans