Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've always found it funny that actual goddamn Leatherface has been infinitely worse than "we have Leatherface at home" so it's probably for the best that he's getting buffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And I seem to have yet again hit an endless string of red ranks (me being at level 10). These ones are notable in that they're just ignoring my Ghostface's Expose and I can't piece together how. It's nothing they're running, they all have the usual Spine Chill/Borrowed Time/Decisive Strike/Self Care that everyone uses, but I'm staring them down until a full meter, getting the sound cue, stabbing them and it just causes an injury.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

I'm honestly kind of stunned they seem to be buffing Leatherface, the killer who became a meme for having no talents except camping real good

It's time, since a lot of people recommend Bubba being your first buy for BBQ&C. Then they get a killer with a useful perk that they have to suffer with until it's teachable because the youngest Sawyer is no fun to play.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dawgstar posted:

It's time, since a lot of people recommend Bubba being your first buy for BBQ&C. Then they get a killer with a useful perk that they have to suffer with until it's teachable because the youngest Sawyer is no fun to play.

Yeah it's never been an exaggeration that Bubba has one whole thing he's good at and that's basement camping, which still needs you to run down at least 1 person to even start the plan.

Arzaac posted:

I've always found it funny that actual goddamn Leatherface has been infinitely worse than "we have Leatherface at home" so it's probably for the best that he's getting buffed.

Also yeah, that's something that's bothered me for a long time, why add a cool horror icon and then let him languish at the bottom of the list forever, help this poor tubby man already.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

...also I just noticed that Legion only comes with Frank and Julie as custom options, you have to buy the other two kids to use them. That's the most nickel and dime thing I think I've ever seen

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

...also I just noticed that Legion only comes with Frank and Julie as custom options, you have to buy the other two kids to use them. That's the most nickel and dime thing I think I've ever seen

Yeeeah it's a little lame, but they know people will buy Joey because they want a black dude and/or extra edgy outfit Legion and Susie because they want a girl who doesn't look 90% similar to Frank Legion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yardbomb posted:

Also yeah, that's something that's bothered me for a long time, why add a cool horror icon and then let him languish at the bottom of the list forever, help this poor tubby man already.
Compromise: Leatherface can stay the way he is but he has to be wearing Cowboys merch at all times.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One buff they could give Legion if they wanted to re-orient their power stuff is let them vault whilst in the powered state. They're the same size as the victims already and it would make them a lot harder to run from in a straight line when doing the thing.

Plus that's a sort of killer move we don't really have yet, agile run down instead of slow stead slaughter, and Legion is the most physically agile looking Killer in game, letting them do that would be a neat option.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Lord_Magmar posted:

One buff they could give Legion if they wanted to re-orient their power stuff is let them vault whilst in the powered state. They're the same size as the victims already and it would make them a lot harder to run from in a straight line when doing the thing.

Plus that's a sort of killer move we don't really have yet, agile run down instead of slow stead slaughter, and Legion is the most physically agile looking Killer in game, letting them do that would be a neat option.

... Legion can already fast vault windows and pallets in frenzy mode? Did you mean something else perhaps?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SaffronKit posted:

... Legion can already fast vault windows and pallets in frenzy mode? Did you mean something else perhaps?

Okay maybe I was thinking of something else. Cool that it works that way though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of Legion, man, all I want to do is knock off the tome for pulling two people off generators in one match while using Discordance. Unfortunately at rank 10, I face nothing but reds who have no interest in doing anything but running Spine Chill, grouping up on the generators as fast as possible and teabagging

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Don't worry, even if you had got those grabs the servers would have just dropped them anyways.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also I'm not sure how you would even do the one involving hitting five times in one use of Frenzy, considering hitting anyone twice with that cancels the entire power and missing also cancels the entire power. That would require hitting everybody in the match during one Frenzy, never missing once, and then hitting someone else again

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Pulling two people off generators in one match while using Discordance

Good lord, just stop making grab people challenges BHVR lol

DeathChicken posted:

Also I'm not sure how you would even do the one involving hitting five times in one use of Frenzy, considering hitting anyone twice with that cancels the entire power and missing also cancels the entire power. That would require hitting everybody in the match during one Frenzy, never missing once, and then hitting someone else again

That one's not as bad as it sounds, it just really takes the right bumbling from survivors, since all that means is start frenzy, first hit and then bounce between the others that are hopefully all nearby, then hit the last one twice.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 4, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also if you have extended time add-ons chances are the first guy will mend before the frenzy expires.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So other than leatherface's cannibalism perk, what are the other OP things for killers if any? I have only seen a few of them despite playing like fifty games so far... lots of Pyramid Head makes sense but it seems otherwise that it's all the Huntress, I've seen the cowboy guy once, Leatherface once, and the ghost once.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
BBQ isn't OP.

The only really OP things for killer are ebony moris, iridescent head + infantry belt hatchet Huntress, and I guess redhead's pinky finger on Clown except it's Clown so ehhhh. There's probably an argument for Instasaw Billy (primer bulb + tuning guide) since it makes getting chainsaws real easy. Some people might say Crack Billy (doom engravings + tuning guide), but at least curving takes skill.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

No One Escapes Death is pretty hilarious. Unless survivors take the effort to break every single totem on the map, when the last generator pops you can one hit kill them. They almost never bother destroying every totem on the map. It's not killer specific either, just a generic thing you can get along the web.

Other than that, Corrupt Intervention is really good (a Plague perk). It blocks off every gen except three of them for the first two minutes. Which means survivors will either play it smart and wait for it to go away, or play it really dumb and go after the unblocked gens exactly where you know they'll be. Really helps out guys like Trapper, who need that extra time to do their thing

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 4, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Decided to try billy out because of a daily I got. Was sent to the treatment ward and the chainsaw was useless the entire game, though the outstanding moment was when it made me do a 90 degree turn right straight into a wall.

Somehow I managed to get everyone, though, including a person who clicked a flashlight at me as I walked past him that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Had not one but TWO ragers in my last Deathslinger game. The first one raged because they tried to stand at a pallete and I beat them on the 50/50 with a lunge. The other I was trying to give the hatch and he kept struggling and like, ran away and ragequit after I finally found him a couple times.

Why do they always DC when I try to give the hatch :(

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

As a person who's pretty drat bad at this game, I'm getting a lot of 4 murders as Legion and I can recognize that it's because they punish some Stupid Survivor Behaviors fairly well. Survivors definitely want to group up on gens and start popping things in the first two minutes (it would be more optimal to split up, but that would take a little more time. Can't have that), they definitely don't want to spend any amount of time in injury, if you've hurt them they're going to heal, even if it would be better to push through it and do more gens. I can appreciate a killer whose biggest strength seems to be ruining the way almost everyone plays :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've been feeling the same way with the plague. Survivors clustering just means I can infect multiple people at the same time and people are desperate to clean it off, wasting their time and giving me a more vile purges than I know what to do with.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

While a lot of survivors will complain about certain killer perks (NOED, BBQ etc) no perks are really stand out OP by themselves. It's more about what's OP for that killer and synergies with their power.

As an example, BBQ is good but not amazing for any killer without map pressure. The best thing about it is the extra BP! Literally doubles your BP gain, what's not to love? Slap BBQ on Billy or Nurse or Spirit or Freddy and well. Map Pressure power + Aura reading survivors far away = ez snowball. Got an M1 killer with a power that allows them to 1 down someone or at least doesn't count as a basic hit? Save the Best For Last will literally win you games! Want consistent snowball-y gen pressure on any killer? Pop Goes the Weasel! Got a 24m terror radius? Moniter and Abuse + Nurse's Calling!

The possibilities are endless, unlike survivor which has a kind of standard meta build that works for everyone.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What's a good killer for taking years off friends lives who are really bad with jumpscares? I do like pig but I just can't get used to her crouch and when to use it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Wraith is pretty good at it what with bieng nearly invisible when cloaked. I imagine Spirit is also good for that since it can feel like you've shaken her and then she appears in front of you.

The ranged killers (Huntress, Deathslinger, Clown and sort of Plague) can do some jumpscare stuff with their projectiles though you're more likely to use their ranged attacks during a chase rather than stealthy opener. It is great though with Plague to spot a gaggle of survivors and tag all of them with vomit before they even notice you

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nalesh posted:

What's a good killer for taking years off friends lives who are really bad with jumpscares? I do like pig but I just can't get used to her crouch and when to use it.

If you're playing in KYF, then scratched mirror Myers on Lery's. Any indoor map - Hawkins, The Game, and Midwich - will do, but Lery's is really the best mixture of hallways and rooms. Ghostface is also good on indoor maps but lacks the free aura reading of the scratched mirror.

Other than that, yeah coxcombed clapper Wraith. You can kind of get jump scares with bone clapper Wraith or a prayer beads Spirit with Monitor & Abuse. Plus bone clapper is a necessary component of battle bong.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 5, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah silently appearing wraith will cause your friends to track you down and and murder you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have never once used a scratched mirror and not had it send me to the loving farm. Even if I burnt an offering to go somewhere else.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, but in KYF you can specifically pick which map you wanna go to without loving with the offering system. I think they eliminated the chance for map offerings to fail if there were no other map offerings played, and it's mostly just cakes these days.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nalesh posted:

Hag. The traps spook the poo poo out of people every time if you know how to place them right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SaffronKit posted:

Hag. The traps spook the poo poo out of people every time if you know how to place them right.

Spirit too, if you know how to listen. Both are big on 'and suddenly they're there and stabbing you.'

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I still really want a doppelganger character, like no red light, looks like a random survivor until they get close, etc. Pmuch what I expected legion to be tbh.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I want a Leslie Vernon killer with the ability to make most of the standing pallets useless props that won't stop him, but that would get the survivors sending DDoS attacks again

Also for jumpscares, there's always this one. Step 1, pick Leatherface with Insidious, Iron Grasp and Agitation (also preferably some add-on that decreases chainsaw charge time). Step 2, down someone and haul them to the basement. Step 3, wait around the corner until someone comes to get their friend, rev up the chainsaw, run at them waving it

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 5, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Freddy can do the fake pallet thing, but from what I understand they're quite bad.

Also I'd like to thank the matchmaker for putting me up against 2 rank 1s and a rank 6, my rank 18 rear end was loving spinning trying to keep up with them.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The matchmaking has been completely turbofucked this entire week. I'm Rank 15 on killer and I'm regularly running into one Purple per game and usually at least one Purple and one Red. I've got friends who just started the game this week running into groups of purples/reds when they try Killers, too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Oh yeah, I'm steadily ranked 10 or thereabouts and I face nothing but reds. Once it was three rank 1s and an 11

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Are there just no lower-rank people playing at this point?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still climbing the ladder and I'm at 13 I think? I havent seen anyone below rank 7 for several games except one rank 19 with three 1s.

Also every time I get a disconnector it's always a purple rank

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I surely can't imagine a new player to this getting matched up against Real Pro Gamers running optimal setups, smashed flat, butt danced at the gate and deciding to never play again. Nope, no way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
There probably aren't that many new players outside of the sub 15 level, and when they reworked the rank reset even fewer survivors get dragged back into green ranks or below. I do know that the longer it takes, the more likely you're about to be matched with people outside your rank.

They're working on an MMR system but who knows how useful that'll even be. Crossplay will also hopefully help with getting new players matched together.