Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

The Deadpool #0 issue was basically a gag short where everyone who was dead came back from the dead as clones and it was mostly like loser villains Scourge killed because everyone else comes back from the dead on their own. The "money shot" Rhyno referenced is Deadpool walking in on Uncle Ben and Aunt May having sex, because Aunt May (or an actor hired by Norman Osborn to pretend to be Aunt May and die of cancer) was dead at the time too.

No the four Gwens was the money shot! Ew! I forgot about that other stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My mistake, the old people having sex as a joke for how gross it is for old married couples* to be sexually active was midway through, the french maid Gwens was in fact the final page.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

They get mentioned periodically, the original Gwen Stacy clone (and the Spider-Clone that would be later called Ben Reilly) were retconned into being existing human being who got like radical surgery to look exactly like Peter and Gwen during the Evolutionary War crossover. I forget all the details but basically they wanted to close the door on 'clones' in the Marvel Universe in the same way that 1980s Marvel tried to get rid of vampires and superfluous supervillains and characters with the same names. So the High Evolutionary found all of the Jackal's notes after he died and revealed he was a big fraud who couldn't clone poo poo.

The "clone Gwen Stacy" was a woman named Joyce Delaney who via magic got her original memories and personality back. Then later during the Clone Saga they re-retconned it so the Jackal had faked his death and faked his notes admitting he couldn't clone poo poo to trick the High Evolutionary, and actually he can clone the hell out of whatever he wants! And he actually had like hundreds of clones of Gwen Stacy (and Peter Parker, obviously). He wanted to go find his best clone of Gwen (Joyce) and it turned out she was married to a clone of the Jackal and living a normal life, so Jackal got mad and killed all of his non-Joyce clones of Gwen (unless... some survived?) and I think killed the clone of himself who married Joyce/Gwen but then other stuff happened.

And then in 2011 an even more eviller clone of Gwen murdered Joyce-Gwen for the Jackal, but then she died too. I think this was just a subplot to set up THE CLONE CONSPIRACY: DEAD NO MORE and clean up continuity so that Slott could introduce even more Gwen clones, who might have all died again, hard to say. There might be some of the original clones that were supposed to die but didn't (like Kaine but with Gwen Stacy) out there.

The Deadpool #0 issue was basically a gag short where everyone who was dead came back from the dead as clones and it was mostly like loser villains Scourge killed because everyone else comes back from the dead on their own. The "money shot" Rhyno referenced is Deadpool walking in on Uncle Ben and Aunt May having sex, because Aunt May (or an actor hired by Norman Osborn to pretend to be Aunt May and die of cancer) was dead at the time too.

Thanks for the explanation but loving hell, I'm not going to lie, I can see why manga is outselling superhero comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bessantj posted:

Oh, I've seen that posted before. Norman Osborne was the father wasn't he? And the twins hated Spider-Man. Where are the editors?!?!?!?!

Hey, now, the editors were on hand for that.

They were originally going to be Peter's, if they hadn't intervened. Because that would have been worse, apparently.

But hey, at least it's not Trouble...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the explanation but loving hell, I'm not going to lie, I can see why manga is outselling superhero comics.
Is manga outselling superhero comics? Also absolutely none of that is relevant to current superhero comics (not even the Spider-Man books, last I checked) and is like an accumulation of almost fifty years worth of stories that are largely politely ignored.

It's like hearing about the plots of various Aaron Spelling soap operas and going "loving hell, no wonder reality shows are outdrawing scripted dramas."

And yes, JMS wanted the two Grey Goblins(?) to be Peter Parker's kids, but editorial thought Spider-Man having adult children (even artificially aged adult children) would make him seem old. Which is valid, but is that really your first objection?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It'd be one thing if the children were actual kids and it was about Peter wondering about raising them or being in their lives but in comic book fashion they are adults because apparently Goblin blood can accelerate aging and they are enhanced humans again because of the blood and they have to fight Peter as tools being used by Osborn and then use Peter's blood and the Goblin formula and

It was an odd story for someone to want to tell.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, now, the editors were on hand for that.

They were originally going to be Peter's, if they hadn't intervened. Because that would have been worse, apparently.

But hey, at least it's not Trouble...

Well one saving grace I'll admit.

Edge & Christian posted:

Is manga outselling superhero comics? Also absolutely none of that is relevant to current superhero comics (not even the Spider-Man books, last I checked) and is like an accumulation of almost fifty years worth of stories that are largely politely ignored.

It's like hearing about the plots of various Aaron Spelling soap operas and going "loving hell, no wonder reality shows are outdrawing scripted dramas."

And yes, JMS wanted the two Grey Goblins(?) to be Peter Parker's kids, but editorial thought Spider-Man having adult children (even artificially aged adult children) would make him seem old. Which is valid, but is that really your first objection?

I don't know if 'politely ignored' or the whole 'illusion of change' thing is a problem because while it can make it seem like there is absolutely no stability in the storytelling and anything that has happened can be reversed in an instant it does mean someone new can drop into the comic and not have to worry about catching up. That probably does help new readers.

Well maybe it's because I'm looking at the whole picture rather than a slice of time that I have the objection. If I was looking at one persons run I'd probably like it better as it doesn't have to weave into anything.

Also as I've been going through the reading list on MU I'm up to late '75 and, on the whole, women are really not well written.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edge & Christian posted:

Is manga outselling superhero comics?

Yes, by quite a bit.

I’m not sure if it’s totally fair to compare all of manga to superhero comics, given that manga is a medium and not a genre, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Shonen Jump manga outsold Marvel or DC

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That article doesn’t say what you think it does.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So why did Norman Osborne make four clones of his dead girlfriend and then have super-aging goblin children with one of the clones? To own the libs Spider?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It wasn’t one of the clones.

Norman really should have stayed dead. There’s been some good stuff with him since he came back, but I don’t know if it’s worth it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Nessus posted:

So why did Norman Osborne make four clones of his dead girlfriend and then have super-aging goblin children with one of the clones? To own the libs Spider?

'cause he's so evil

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gwen and Norman's daughter who was like 9 but appear to be 25 and identical to Gwen also tried to seduce Peter at one point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Keep in mind the only reason she had accelerated aging and was Norman's daughter is that Joe Quesada quashed the idea of her and her brother being Peter and Gwen's because it would make Peter seem too old.

E: I see that was already brought up.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 5, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have a question.

Origins aside, have there been any instances where someone dies, "permanently," and it demonstrably changes the temperament of a character? Obviously, I'm talking cape comics.

I ask because I was re-reading Captain America, and Sharon's death was so jarring and evidently final, and he went for a long, long time both dealing with that and dating other people, only for one day to have the old lol psych she's alive thing happen.

She came back, but his character had been changed in a small but fundamental way that was defined by that loss. So that's the question.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have a question.

Origins aside, have there been any instances where someone dies, "permanently," and it demonstrably changes the temperament of a character? Obviously, I'm talking cape comics.

I ask because I was re-reading Captain America, and Sharon's death was so jarring and evidently final, and he went for a long, long time both dealing with that and dating other people, only for one day to have the old lol psych she's alive thing happen.

She came back, but his character had been changed in a small but fundamental way that was defined by that loss. So that's the question.

I'd say both Gwen Stacey and Jean deWolff had long-term impact on how people wrote Peter Parker.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have a question.

I feel Barry Allen and how it affected Wally is the go-to.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jordan7hm posted:

That article doesn’t say what you think it does.

I re-read it and I’m not sure where you’re getting that. It’s pretty clear: American superhero comics are being outsold in the United States by manga and by kid-oriented comics and graphic novels.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

I re-read it and I’m not sure where you’re getting that. It’s pretty clear: American superhero comics are being outsold in the United States by manga and by kid-oriented comics and graphic novels.

In the book market, which is approx. half of the total comics market. The direct market isn’t 100% cape comics but it’s probably not dramatically off from that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jordan7hm posted:

In the book market, which is approx. half of the total comics market. The direct market isn’t 100% cape comics but it’s probably not dramatically off from that.

The article covers the direct market, though. It includes comic shops, Diamond, and digital downloads

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know it does, but the section that speaks to manga market share is specifically from bookscan about the book market, which is less than half of the total market.

80% of the direct market (which was 510m in 2018) is just DC and Marvel. So 400m in just DC and Marvel alone, without bookstores.

Meanwhile manga represents 28% of the 465m bookstore market. It’s not even close.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

Wasn't like part of it also that editorial wanted Peter Parker to have been a virgin until he married Mary Jane for some dumb reason (which is also contradicted by Spider-Man: Blue).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't like part of it also that editorial wanted Peter Parker to have been a virgin until he married Mary Jane for some dumb reason (which is also contradicted by Spider-Man: Blue).

Also by the existence of Black Cat (unless her very specific thing was dry-humping Peter in costume).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Also by the existence of Black Cat (unless her very specific thing was dry-humping Peter in costume).

I thought Black Cat being way more interested in Peter wearing the costume than him out of it was a major part of their relationship.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I thought Black Cat being way more interested in Peter wearing the costume than him out of it was a major part of their relationship.

It was, but it was more about Peter still being a virgin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vulpes established that they at least got their pants off

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They also have definitely hosed in the PS4 game, Black Cat lies about being pregnant and Peter thinks it could be his.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Skwirl posted:

They also have definitely hosed in the PS4 game, Black Cat lies about being pregnant and Peter thinks it could be his.

Maybe Peter doesn't know how babies work

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Cats are known for rubbing themselves against legs.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Skwirl posted:

Does this mean that Peter is still a virgin, but Spider-Man definitely fucks?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cubone posted:

Maybe Peter doesn't know how babby is formed

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cubone posted:

PS4 spider-man is pretty dumb, so I buy it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Black Cat was okay with Peter's body, she just preferred he kept the mask on. It sounds like I'm making a joke about him being ugly but it's true. She didn't want to be with "Peter Parker".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Black Cat was okay with Peter's body, she just preferred he kept the mask on. It sounds like I'm making a joke about him being ugly but it's true. She didn't want to be with "Peter Parker".

Oh, yeah. It's why she always called him 'Spider.'

"My name is Peter, Felicia."
"I know, Spider."

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lobok posted:

Wonder if that was true for his Bag-Man costume as well?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lobok posted:

its actually because of the bug face and mandibles that spider-man must have

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thaddius the Large posted:

Wonder if that was true for his Bag-Man costume as well?

"The whole costume? What about the 'Kick Me' sign?"
"Especially the sign."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cubone posted:

It is the Marvel universe so does anyone know how babies work?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

When a daddy scientist and a mommy scientist really love each other...they go into their lab and make a clone of a superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I think you have to go into the future so they can grow up in an apocalyptic wasteland.