Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Having a degree doesn't stop you from being an idiot.

hello,,,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

You have to try to keep in mind that Chris is a loving idiot

That's a bold statement given what $300+ million and 8 years of development have brought us thus far.

BTW, how does that cyberthing sound in your head?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

trucutru posted:

I dunno, but there is a guy in there that sold his blood to get JPEGs

Garriot refunded, IIRC

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Having a degree doesn't stop you from being an idiot. There are actual doctors out there vehemently supporting stuff like homeopathy or even - in some cases, albeit rare - drinking chlorine stuff.

Yeah... but still... There are a lot of citizens who say they are devs but there are at least 4 subjects in pretty much any CS degree that make you do projects on why these things are impossible with current hardware. poo poo basic physics should have let them know.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's a bold statement given what $300+ million and 8 years of development have brought us thus far.

BTW, how does that cyberthing sound in your head?

Cyberthing is still the clamp on version, no bolts yet.
It's great but the headband thing gives me a headache so I don't use it all day.
It is pretty sweet though when someone comes to my door I hear a notification in my head, and spotify is good on it too, just want the first operation done with now!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Baxta posted:

Yeah... but still... There are a lot of citizens who say they are devs but there are at least 4 subjects in pretty much any CS degree that make you do projects on why these things are impossible with current hardware. poo poo basic physics should have let them know.

You're looking at it all wrong, what does you head in brings me much joy.
See it not as a source of frustration but rather as a ticking timebomb of comedy, which at some point will go off.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Star Citizer: A ticking timebomb of comedy

e: I miss the days when it went off daily...

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Chris is a physics major dropout, right? That should explain a few things.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chris is the pointy-haired-boss

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Chris is a guy who is unaware of — or at least completely baffled by — middle-school introductory physics concepts such as momentum, acceleration, and the difference between length, arena, and volume. That explains things — not his attempts at leveraging that awareness in the context of university-level education.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Tippis posted:

Chris is a guy who is unaware of — or at least completely baffled by — middle-school introductory physics concepts such as momentum, acceleration, and the difference between length, arena, and volume. That explains things — not his attempts at leveraging that awareness in the context of university-level education.

Just this one page disallows the CIG promises.

http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/1/html/packets.html

Oh youre going to have 1000 assets all with a million chains of subassets or classes all generating data back and forth with mega cities and ground assets with their subclasses just all doing everything in 60fps with a billion polygons per asset and 30ms response times?

Yeah ok. Good luck with that.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baxta posted:

Just this one page disallows the CIG promises.

http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/1/html/packets.html

Oh youre going to have 1000 assets all with a million chains of subassets or classes all generating data back and forth with mega cities and ground assets with their subclasses just all doing everything in 60fps with a billion polygons per asset and 30ms response times?

Yeah ok. Good luck with that.

B-but QUANTA!!1!

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Baxta posted:

How are all these "developers" so braindead about data fundamentals and network architecture?!

Uni was a while ago for me but even I have a basic idea of how much data can be thrown around effectively.

How do they look at all the promises and not realise that its impossible to slap all these things together?!

Drives me nuts.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-smart-people-do-foolish-things/

Short answer is intelligence doesn't equal critical thinking.

You don't need game dev experience, or a degree in CS, to know that SC is borked. When someone pitches a game that is basically WoW+EVE+Every Rockstar Game+Every Call of Duty Game taken up to 11 and combined, and the person making the pitch has a long history of failed projects under his belt, broken promises, hasn't worked on a shipped game since the 90s, starting out with no real team or studio.... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this space ship is only ever going to blow up on the launching pad, if it even makes it to the launching pad.

Still, it would do well to consider the possible hindsight bias that might be influencing our perspective of the past. I remember when the project first crowdfunded the image I remember being present of Chris Roberts then was that of an accomplished game developer returning to the industry to make the game he always wanted to. That wasn't such an unusual thing back in the heyday of crowd funding, and I don't think CR's past was as heavily scrutinized as it is today. Remember, SC's original pitch was just a modern Wing Commander or Freelancer. A perfectly reasonable and doable game. But as the money came rushing in the promises grew, and the scope grew, and the money grew, and everything grew in a runaway reaction as people bought into the hype, the dream, the narrative, the movement until it all soared into cloud cuckoo land and it was obvious that it was never going to happen.

What I think I'm noticing is that a lot of the people still supporting the project seem to dreamers. Romantics. Idealists, maybe. Swept up in the "vision" of it all, the "movement" of the BDSSE, and having a lot of disposable income they can live without. Wanting to be a part of something larger and more important than ourselves is a fundamental human condition, and I think SC cunningly takes advantage of that by fulfilling that need of these dreamers. Remember the kind of crowd drawn to the space sim. The kind of eyes that are lifted towards the sky and dream about sailing among the stars and being a pirate or mercenary or explorer and romancing exotic aliens and such. The space sim is fundamentally romantic and idealistic. In the posts quoted about people still supporting the project its easy to see the posts are full of rationalizations. And that's how we are. We are emotion driven, heart driven. We tend do as our emotions and hearts desire, with our brain rationalizing why this is okay. And Star Citizen is.. or was... a good emotion predator.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I opened that article and searched for "server meshing" (no time to read it, because I need to report critical bugs to CIG) and it didn't give me any hits, so obviously CIG is creating tech unheard of before, which will solve the problems. They just need some more time and money. Buy an Idris.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

You could have asked that question in #general chat and got an answer in less than 30 seconds. What's your point regarding player server caps?

Server Meshing will make player per server numbers irrelevant - after SM it is merely a cost per player factor, not something to influence the players experience. They could have 1 player per server and still everyone can be together in the same instance of the persistent universe if what they say about Server Meshing capability is true. If they had each planetary body and station broken out into their own servers right now, without meshing - log out and back in to travel (cut-scene) - they could increase player count significantly and have the whole NPC population active. NPC's take up the same resources as players without ships.

It's quite amazing that one multi-core server has 3 planets with landing zones, 2 of those have multi-million kilometre squared area maps with biomes and flora. All the moons, space stations, communication satellites, Levski, GrimHEX and many dozens of NPC's - AND it can accommodate up to 50 players each bringing their own inventory of ships, vehicles and equipment. When SC implements Vulkan this will improve client frame rates and stability which will help Star Citizen server tick rates. They have been gradually improving client actor networking over the last 2 years.

You see people comparing SC to other MMO's - really? Which of those has multi-thousand polygon ships and vehicles per player, plus a detailed solar system with biomes and active landing areas down the millimetre fidelity?

It's worth noting that both historically and currently Amazon AWS servers use Intel hardware (Xeons up to 36 cores running at around 2.3 - 2.5 Ghz). With the new competition between AMD and their significantly increased core counts with higher clock speeds we may see a significant improvement in AWS server capability in the next year or so. Intel are trying to hold their own with PC builds on a per clock speed basis for gaming, but they have been losing their server market share by a significant amount since the arrival of AMD's Zen processors.
https://www.quora.com/What-type-of-hardware-does-Amazon-AWS-EC2-use-to-run-virtual-machines

quote:

We don't know what the minimum size area could be. In built up populated areas they could have one server per room. If you can't see what is on the other side of a wall it may as well be on another server - how many times do you go on a train or in an elevator? We don't know how fast servers can be spun up to transfer load, we don't know how fast servers can transfer their data to allow them to join together more than one server load into only one server and then re-task those freed up servers.

You do understand that all the static objects that you see around you in the game only exist on your local client? All the dynamic objects are drawn by the local client according to the data stream it gets from the server. The server is only interested in the change states of the entities in the PU, which it then reports to your local client state. Your local client can take data streams from multiple servers with server meshing, because only data that is relevant to 'you' on your server is communicated between servers then down to you. They guy in the train with you may be on your server, but the guy flying the Cutlass in the sky above you may be on another server that is telling your client to draw a Cutlass up there. That is what server meshing allows, it allows more than one server to send data to your local client, if the data stream is not overloaded you can see on screen as many client actors as your local game client can accept. Now it's about your internet connection and PC's capability, Vulkan and some advice regarding minimum specs helps there.

The larger the play space, the less likely that players will be in the same area concurrently, the easier the data stream loads are on the local client. There are literally hundreds of separated areas right now and that is only counting the places where there is expected to be activity. If significant numbers of players are out in space or on a remote planetary surface mining etc the likelihood of players encountering other players drops even further. When they add more play space areas the numbers dilute even more.

I've never heard of any game quite like this one that uses server meshing. Sure there are other games showcasing thousands of players in demo's but they are not all driving vehicles, shooting missiles, carrying large inventories in highly detailed built up areas. They are not majority populated by detailed and active NPC's.

Again. We just don't know what CI can do, because there is no precedent for what they are attempting. I do know that Chris Roberts is not the type of guy who would accept a poor substitute, if server meshing wouldn't achieve what he needed, he wouldn't be touting it as the final piece of the puzzle that allows a completely seamless universe where all players can interact simultaneously.

If you're about to tell me: Yeah right they'll never do it! Great. thanks for sharing the opinion. I'll take Chris' word.. he seems to regularly do what everyone and their dog says he'll never do. We didn't run out money in 3 months - this last year to date has been the best ever for fund raising and incoming new backers. Chris didn't skip off to the Bahamas. We were be able to fly ships instead of just walk around them in our hangars. We were be able to fly in a 64bit precision game universe. We were be able to land on planets and roam around all of their surfaces. There are fruit trees and plants. We do have multiple landing zones. We do have train services in commuter citizen. Server Meshing will happen, we will have a Persistent Universe that all players will occupy simultaneously. NPC's will become active when players can spread out over more than one star system and resources are freed up. We will have an active and dynamic economy.

If you can't believe in it, or at least have the patience to wait and see, while encouraging others to help grow the project - what the hell are you wasting time hanging around here for? Is there nothing productive you could find to interest you other than constantly negative gainsaying about what others can and will achieve?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'll take Chris' word..

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baxta posted:

Yes, you cannot have a single universe with thousands of players all across the globe interacting in a FPS-style game. But what CIG is offering is magic, and magic can do it. (it can't).

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 4, 2020

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Without seeing his list of finished courses there is no telling if came into contact with physics :D. Could have done a few Intros, Math 0, a little programming, maybe Linear Algebra I, maybe some Vectorthings.

I guess somewhere between the Intro ended his stunt.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Server Meshing will make player per server numbers irrelevant - after SM it is merely a cost per player factor, not something to influence the players experience. They could have 1 player per server and still everyone can be together in the same instance of the persistent universe if what they say about Server Meshing capability is true.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Server overhead, though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Remember that time that Crobberts said that gravity is much weaker a few dozen km above the surface of a planet with a several thousand km radius? Good times!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Apologies for the garbage quality.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

tuo posted:

See, this joke doesn't work anymore. Because as it turns out in real life Scott Adams is a raging rear end in a top hat, and he's very vocal about it. By association now, the pointy haired boss is the sympathetic character since Dilbert is an entitled white supremacist jackass.

Which, I guess could be CIG, they've hired the best after all.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sandi is the red cat thing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The Super-Id posted:

I was prepared for SC to suck and it didn't even suck in a way that I could laugh at while playing it. It was largely extremely boring and uneventful with occasional moments of total failure which just meant my time was wasted and I needed to return to part A (boring and uneventful). I spent no money on this experience and it was still unpleasant and I would not recommend anyone play this even for free. Following this thread is the best Star Citizen experience you can have.

:agreed:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The three or so years of development sure were worth it for this scene.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Drunk Theory posted:

See, this joke doesn't work anymore. Because as it turns out in real life Scott Adams is a raging rear end in a top hat, and he's very vocal about it. By association now, the pointy haired boss is the sympathetic character since Dilbert is an entitled white supremacist jackass.

Which, I guess could be CIG, they've hired the best after all.

Fine.

You can have Dilbert, but if you ruin Calvin & Hobbes for me I will hate you forever...

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

The Titanic posted:

The three or so years of development sure were worth it for this scene.

Is this from a video? Wondering why the guy at the bar changes places.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I hope to god Roberts watches the movie "Cocktail" and decides to do more mocap.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

I hope to god Roberts watches the movie "Cocktail" and decides to do more mocap.

As soon as the Cocktail sessions are done and not a single stitch of it is usable we can send him a copy of Coyote Ugly

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Fine.

You can have Dilbert, but if you ruin Calvin & Hobbes for me I will hate you forever...

Well.....actually thanks to Bill Watterson's nature to avoid the public and hatred of licensing, it's unlikely he'll poison his work. Enjoy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thoatse posted:

As soon as the Cocktail sessions are done and not a single stitch of it is usable we can send him a copy of Coyote Ugly

And then when that fails, it is time for Road House.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Game out? Saw some guys streaming on twitch and an elevator stopped working. Goty

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Game out? Saw some guys streaming on twitch and an elevator stopped working. Goty

By design. There is a NPC elevator repair man that will rescue you in 3 hours.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Inacio posted:

I'll take Chris' word..

You can't just take Chris word ..... You have to pledge to Chris too!

Buy a Grey Cat and some land claims.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://streamable.com/h3m76p

it's the tier 0 bartender...

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Wow I was really hoping it was all idiots with disposable income, you just had to post about a guy donating plasma to fund his space dreams :ohno:

Also what is this poo poo about one player per server again, I mean even if that's theoretically possible, where are they getting the idea that this is affordable lol

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Inacio posted:

https://streamable.com/h3m76p

it's the tier 0 bartender...

:eyepop:

wow, they even modeled the fact that the bartender is shy and you must slowly back away so they can make your drink in peace, the fidelity!! :lol:

also before you say anything, my space mohawk also flickers in real life

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

And Star Citizen is.. or was... a good emotion predator.

Good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Everyone who spend money on this game. Would you do it again? Just a little talk posted:

quote:

I‘m a Car mechanic Learner and making roughtly 750€ a month,i‘m saving for my poo poo if I want something ^ I started with a Normal combo pack of SQ42 and SC with an Aurora,later on i wanted that connie so bad,so it was my birthday present to myself in 2017 (my dumbass bought it via Grey market,so it doesn’t count as Concierge money ...) Then it went further with some smaller buys like a dragonfly and Tumbril in the year,but then i thought a Retaliator is a great ship. It was indeed,but without 5 ppl to man the turrets it wasn‘t that great for me. Then the Hammerhead released (the only other ship that has a similar turret amount like the Tali) and the tali became (turret wise) weak as gently caress,so i melted the tali tumbril and dragonfly and got one of the Old Exploration packs that didn‘t cost 1300$. I got an Arrow before that package in 2018 and a 325a after christmas this year.

I love all of my ships that i actually have,and some i had i‘m going to buy back over time,for now i‘m building a living with my GF and my car is broke,so the wish of a Valkyrie will be a wish for a year or more but since i can grind ships ingame now, with the downside that they can glitch away every second, i‘m going to grind me one and test it until i can buy it ^

I got to say that the C2 and Valkyrie are the only interesting ships that are in my Price range. I‘d love to get a Kraken someday but since its so hardly limited and only on sale all few Months/years without any Comment that i can safe for it long enought it will be my first ingame grind when the game is further down the line ^

quote:

When I backed the game in 2014 we barely had the money to afford to eat and it took me months of saving change to afford $45 pledge. It was a birthday present for myself. I was happy to back it even though I didn't have any money or a real way to play it because I wanted to invest in the dream.

I got to play once when you could fly your ship around port Olisar. Hadn't touched it since but followed the development.

Fast forward to 2020 and life has drastically changed. 3.9 dropped right after I finished a new gaming rig and I hopped on and played a ton. Then invictus week happened.... now I am a proud owner of a Kraken Privateer and a heavily upgraded Exploration Mega pack. Nearly 4k in, in a single weekend.

I only jumped that hard off the deep end becausd our Hawaii vacation got canceled due to covid. Would of been my first real vacation in my nearly 30 years. I've got some preexisting lung issues so travel is a no until we've got a vaccine. So I spent my vacation funds on this and some stuff for my wife.

Had Hawaii happened this would not have. But I am still happy I spent the money and I'd make the same choice under the circumstances again definitely.

I believe in the dream this game represents. The pathetic struggle for $45 back then felt worth it to me. The easy come easy go 4k from a bonus from work feels more than worth it to me.