Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

crispix posted:

Channel 4 News had old Krishnan on some street with a bunch of pubs and there was a big crowd of people just bumping into each other willy nilly :laugh:

This is going to be a complete shitshow

I was driving through Wakefield earlier and there were literally people huddled together talking in groups outside one of the pubs, another one was packed with full groups sitting at every table.

i'm just happy to have a few ciders in the fridge and chilling on discord with some friends that way, it's nuts how busy it is. Even the traffic was way busier than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As the debate raged on over ownership, it sort of turned into a weird FRP annexe to the George - the old men drunk in the pub, the club got a load of pool tables (which were covered with planks and a tablecloth when it was used for wedding receptions) and was colonised by the neck-tattooed.
Even for the Tudor Rose, dragging my memory back the country house style part on the left was definitely the lounge bit, with nicer decor than the flat bit which was more like the 'public bar', though I don't think there was ever a formal separation like in some still running Victorian pubs.

But neither part gave off quite the same negative vibes as that concrete FRP. It looks like a nuclear test bunker but for a device made of dog poo poo and fireworks and put outside a mosque.

So yeah

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there's definitely something psychically wrong with the FRP

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

if your pub doesn't have a flat roof then where are you gonna put your rottweilers?

thespaceinvader posted:

My secretary has been secretary since well before I joined, and my MP is the in the shadow cabinet, FWIW.

If you really wanna read it go nuts:

But it honestly mostly feels like whinging about twitter on reflection.

The section on trans rights in particular just feels inarticulate, I know what I'm trying to say but I can't words. I've also removed several swears but I'm considering putting one back in just for pure emphasis.

it's a good letter, in case you haven't sent it yet you've got "beast" instead of "best to" and "Oborne" instead of "Osborne"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The trotters van is long gone now, but this is still the worst pub I know.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m in a pub waiting for my girlfriend so we can go to the park. I know it’s naughty but I love pints and I’m depressed. Anyway, social distancing isn’t happening, like at all, everyone’s loving leathered, and were gonna have a MASSIVE spike in cases in two weeks.

Thread forgive me for my hypocrisy. It was for research.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

mehall posted:

I'm guessing this isn't the electric six gay bar

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jakabite posted:

I’m in a pub waiting for my girlfriend so we can go to the park. I know it’s naughty but I love pints and I’m depressed. Anyway, social distancing isn’t happening, like at all, everyone’s loving leathered, and were gonna have a MASSIVE spike in cases in two weeks.

Thread forgive me for my hypocrisy. It was for research.

Hope you are wearing a mask at least between sups.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

mehall posted:

Please tell us that the van was stolen.
That would not have lasted a night around here.
It would be joyridden around the place and burned in a field with all the other cars.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

baka kaba posted:

if your pub doesn't have a flat roof then where are you gonna put your rottweilers?

it's a good letter, in case you haven't sent it yet you've got "beast" instead of "best to" and "Oborne" instead of "Osborne"

I'm letting it settle til tomorrow, and thanks.

Our local flat roof pub got closed down after some huge fight and/or fire, I think. It defintely had a rough-rear end reputation. It was a few years ago.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Please tell us that the van was stolen.
That would not have lasted a night around here.
It would be joyridden around the place and burned in a field with all the other cars.

I'm pretty certain it was non-functional to avoid just that issue.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

mehall posted:

I'm pretty certain it was non-functional to avoid just that issue.

THEN HOW DID IT DRIVE UP THERE?
Checkmate.

/troll

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

everyone’s loving leathered,

Just how i like it. Actually, no

Jakabite posted:

everyone’s loving; leathered,

Just how i like it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno, I think she was basically right. What possible reason would someone under the age of 35 have to even know that Robert Maxwell existed? He died when I was 7, that I know he was is mostly a product of my environment than anything else, which is to say my lefty mother explained who he was & why he was a oval office because the idea of robbing from a pension fund was so abhorrent to her. If I didn't have that he'd almost certainly be a name I've seen in books & Wikipedia article I've read but nothing that would really be memorable. It's pretty easy to see why someone wouldn't instantly link a woman most notable for hanging around with wealthy paedophiles in American & the Caribbean with a London based guy long since dead.

As a counter point to this, Robert Maxwell did run a number of newspapers and embezzled from their Pension fund.
Any journalist in the last twenty or so years would have almost certainly worked with someone who would curse his name. If for no other reason than because they had to work for another 20 years on account of having no pension fund.
The idea of a journalist not knowing someone who was certainly infamous in journalist circles is....incredible.

It would be like meeting someone who works in the stock market who says "Nick Leeson?
Never heard of him."

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Question IRL posted:

As a counter point to this, Robert Maxwell did run a number of newspapers and embezzled from their Pension fund.
Any journalist in the last twenty or so years would have almost certainly worked with someone who would curse his name. If for no other reason than because they had to work for another 20 years on account of having no pension fund.
The idea of a journalist not knowing someone who was certainly infamous in journalist circles is....incredible.

It would be like meeting someone who works in the stock market who says "Nick Leeson?
Never heard of him."

Yeah I loved him in Taken. What's he got to do with the stock market though?

Modern journalism doesn't investigate or discover things, that's why it's such a big deal when they actually ever report on anything that isn't after some sort of official announcement or major event. I'd imagine most of them don't even know what Fleet Street was.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

What a loving slob, it's a boat why not just piss off the side.

There was a great book I :filez: as a Teen called the big book of Conspiracy (or maybe it was the big book of Death.)

It had a great section all about Robert Maxwell. It talked about his life and death.
Supposedly at the investigation into his death there was medical evidence called about the phenomenon of men stepping out of warm rooms to go for pisses off the side of boats and suddenly falling unconscious as a result of the cold winds and drowning.
Amazingly enough, their is a medical term for it.
I can't remember it off the top of my head, but I'll see if I can dig up my copy of the book.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

namesake posted:

Yeah I loved him in Taken. What's he got to do with the stock market though?

You are thinking of Leslie Nelson.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Glad to live in Leicester which will end up having the lowest rates in the country 2 weeks from now

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just how i like it. Actually, no

Just how i like it.

:hmmyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Question IRL posted:

There was a great book I :filez: as a Teen called the big book of Conspiracy (or maybe it was the big book of Death.)

It had a great section all about Robert Maxwell. It talked about his life and death.
Supposedly at the investigation into his death there was medical evidence called about the phenomenon of men stepping out of warm rooms to go for pisses off the side of boats and suddenly falling unconscious as a result of the cold winds and drowning.
I can't remember it off the top of my head, but I'll see if I can dig up my copy of the book.

Found this thread on another forum (doesn't mention unconsciousness though).

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/peeing-over-the-side.280688/

One comment:

quote:

my bro in the RNLI said they have an acronym for the majority of men found drowned.
FIFO - Fell In, Flies Open.

Another comment:

quote:

Indeed, RNLI were rumoured to have a category of incident report known as the DOWF syndrome.
This referred to picking up expired yachtsmen who were "dick out when found"

Lord, there's another thread on peeing off yachts:

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/technical-question-about-peeing.208564/

I'm not googling anymore.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 4, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Question IRL posted:

You are thinking of Leslie Nelson.

No he was in "The Unbelievable Journey in a Crazy Aircraft", as I assume the film is known in English, having seen the German title :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp I went in a pub. Saw some people and it was basically all they wanted to do. It was at least dead inside and well spaced out.

Meanwhile Stratford Station had a good 200 people huddled outside of it for a dance off.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

The Question IRL posted:

I think you may mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micturition_syncope, also known for bringing drunk tourists to a watery end in Amsterdam canals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No that was all the guy off pointless.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao::vince:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

No that was all the guy off pointless.

Egg Heads:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/home-cj-de-mooi-homelessness-16771145

quote:

This nightmare in CJ’s life was followed by other allegations without foundation for theft, assault and child abuse. He was then arrested, quite bizarrely, at Heathrow Airport in September 2016 for the alleged murder of a man in Holland, on the back of something CJ had penned as a throwaway line in his 2015 autobiography about an encounter with a mugger in Amsterdam years previously.

“I was arrested, taken to jail, taken to court and had my name splashed all over the national media. But there was one thing that nobody seemed to realise – it was all based on a lie. Some Dutch man who had a book coming out claimed I had said certain things in my book. I never said anything like that.

“The Dutch prosecutor very quickly withdrew the arrest warrant because the authorities had made an embarrassing error. The judge had to apologise.”

Claims were made that CJ had written: “He caught me on the wrong day and I just snapped. I fully suspect I killed him; I’ve no idea what happened to him.”

These words do not appear in his book. Rather, he wrote: “I half-punched, half-pushed him into the canal. Trembling with rage and with fists still tightly clenched, I’m ashamed to say I walked away. I didn’t give this sorry creature another thought.”

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

I think you may mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micturition_syncope, also known for bringing drunk tourists to a watery end in Amsterdam canals.

Truly, I saw unto you, SA is a font of knowledge.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I knew it wasn't pointless but I actually thought it was chaser so you got me anyway :v:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I checked in for Starmer's Zoom call to the Labour party after he got elected: from what I saw, I don't think he's some sinister MI5 plant; I do think that he's utterly, utterly Establishment. He's internalised that the existing way of doing things is substantially the only way of doing things and has neutered his imagination to exclude any possibility of considering that anything could be done differently.

In short, he's a dull psychic drain but not actively malicious and that's the nicest thing I can say about him at this point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's not an MI5 plant but he does occasionally water them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pistol_Pete posted:

a dull psychic drain but not actively malicious

pretty sure this was his leadership campaign slogan

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I checked in for Starmer's Zoom call to the Labour party after he got elected: from what I saw, I don't think he's some sinister MI5 plant; I do think that he's utterly, utterly Establishment. He's internalised that the existing way of doing things is substantially the only way of doing things and has neutered his imagination to exclude any possibility of considering that anything could be done differently.

In short, he's a dull psychic drain but not actively malicious and that's the nicest thing I can say about him at this point.

all it takes for evil to triumph is for not actively malicious psychic drains to do nothing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

one of those weird coincidences that always attach to planning disputes the club suddenly caught fire

Glasgow has had a spate of buildings, many of them listed, mysteriously catch fire over the last few years, the school of art being the most well known. You'll not convince me these are all accidents, no matter how conspiratorial it sounds. GSA went on fire, everyone was sad, they spent ages fundraising and restoring it, and then it went on fire again a few days before it was due to reopen even worse than the first time. They blame an electrical fault but... nah. Not to mention they're often in primo development locations. There's absolutely something fishy going on there.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 4, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A lot of people in government aren't actively malicious -they just don't care what the consequences of their actions or inactions are, or just refuse to accept them

which is its own kind of malice really. At least people being actively hostile are attaching some weight to their actions, they know what they're doing and why it hurts people

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Glasgow has had a spate of buildings, many of them listed, mysteriously catch fire over the last few years, the school of art being the most well known. You'll not convince me these are all accidents, no matter how conspiratorial it sounds. GSA went on fire, everyone was sad, they spent ages fundraising and restoring it, and then it went on fire again a few days before it was due to reopen even worse than the first time. They blame an electrical fault but... nah. Not to mention they're often in primo development locations. There's absolutely something fishy going on there.

Oh, it was well known that there was the building down by the river on Clyde Street, the plot next to where the Barfly was if you ever went there, that was burnt down because it was listed & someone decided what Glasgow really needed was more flats. Think they've finally done something with it but I've not been down that way in 3 years

Mebh
May 10, 2010

What drives me nuts about Starmer is my various BBC and old media consuming relatives were always yelling about Corbyn being an ineffective opposition. Saying he does nothing and how useless Labour are.

Now we have an ineffective psychic drain in charge they are either dead silent or totally on the forensic, showing that Boris what's what in PMQ's train. They are bending over backwards to justify everything he's said as perfectly reasonable and are convinced him one upping Boris with factual minutiae will lead to a landslide of change in their favour.

Its absolutely maddening. Gah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If that were true then you nitpicking with the material facts about corbyn's effectiveness as opposition leader would change their minds, and yet it does not, curious.

Then again feels over reals people believing wholeheartedly that they are big brain rational people and everyone else is too, is hardly a new concept.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mebh posted:

What drives me nuts about Starmer is my various BBC and old media consuming relatives were always yelling about Corbyn being an ineffective opposition. Saying he does nothing and how useless Labour are.

Now we have an ineffective psychic drain in charge they are either dead silent or totally on the forensic, showing that Boris what's what in PMQ's train. They are bending over backwards to justify everything he's said as perfectly reasonable and are convinced him one upping Boris with factual minutiae will lead to a landslide of change in their favour.

Its absolutely maddening. Gah.

The one time I got into politics on FB recently it was over exaclty this assertion, that Corbyn was an ineffective leader, and it made me spit.

Just... what would an effective leader loving look like.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
being 20 points ahead in the polls of course

of course now that Starmer's the leader it's no longer being 20 points behind in the polls

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/openDemocracy/status/1279513142696050688?s=20

Robert Jenrick back at it. Quality

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Today I found out that 'cottagecore' is a thing.

Does this mean Nigel Farage in a flatcap is fashionable now?

Also, jesus christ

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/04/police-smash-car-window-ryan-colaco-tv-interview-racism

quote:

Police smash car window of man on way home from C4 interview about police racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RockyB posted:

Today I found out that 'cottagecore' is a thing.

Does this mean Nigel Farage in a flatcap is fashionable now?

Also, jesus christ

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/04/police-smash-car-window-ryan-colaco-tv-interview-racism

yeah here's the video in case people don't click through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJIVX-osBuU

quote:

Officers hauled him from his car and forced him to the ground, hitting his head against the ground before he was thrown face-first against a wall, Colaço said, causing him severe headaches. He was handcuffed, drug-tested, taken to the station and strip-searched before spending hours in a cell before being released about 12 hours later, with nothing having been found.

He had to walk a mile at about 5am to retrieve his car, which had been impounded. During the walk, he was approached by officers in a vehicle who pulled over to ask why he was out and about.