Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

J.K. Rowling tweets praise for Stephen King, deletes it after he voices support for trans women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

There's no obvious misogyny yet and though the one main female character operating in the comic is a selfish manipulative bastard she's also a career politician and all of them are presented this way, so... you know.

the main obviously misogynist element which no one ever talks about is when the story pivots to a conflict between two political movements which are for all practical intents and purposes different doctrinal interpretations of radical feminism and the main reason no one discusses this element is because all the political and religious factions before and after this are as you noticed depicted in pretty much the exact same dysfunctional way the fact that one of the factions is identified as being led by astoria apparently confirms that its being run by cynical woke branding although as you can guess the situation is a bit more complicated than that

in an unrelated distant future sidebar i was just reading an mla essay about erasure and it occurred to me one of the reasons why i like the viktor davis character is because hes fairly consistently presented as a conceited twat i get this feeling any time i read a work or read about a work that depicts an author insert angrily shaking his fist at capitalism because it wont let him make the artistically relevant work he wants to and i can never ever sympathize with these characters because they consistently have zero self awareness about how lucky they are to be able to write for a living at all and are depicted as having utterly outrageous opportunity compared to the vast majority of people trying to break into the field viktor davis i think takes a lot of the piss out of that stereotype because he makes the same basic argument but is shown to be such an uninteresting and even deluded person that he has zero understanding of the political system he operates in which just begs the question of why anyone would want to listen to his original thoughts at all let alone pay for the privilege

of course theres still the usual cerebus problem of trying to make sense of any of this in the context of death of the author because up until his misogynist mental breakdown viktor davis is a far more obvious cipher for sims attitudes regarding self publishing and major comics distributors than more straightforwardly easy to classify political beliefs and short of being involved in the comics scene in the eighties or reading the editorials in the original printed cerebus comics as opposed to the phone books which dont include them theres just no way of understanding what the hell was even going on with cerebus from a business standpoint that was so important

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is there any chance you could investigate punctuation? I'm interested in that post but it's a single block of words, and I have a headache rn.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Normally I don't like to defy my C-SPAM gimmick lest I sound a bit like a conceited twat myself. But someone in real life asked for this particular take so I'm going to format it properly.

I finally got around to watching Only Yesterday and I'm inclined to agree with the idea the framing device is definitely odd and feels like an artifact of adaptation. This is especially obvious since it just kind of disappears for forty minutes at the start but i think it does make sense in the full context of the movie. Fundamentally this is a story about childhood alienation in the modern world. Child Taeko is frustrated because she has to conform to all sorts of standards she doesn't understand and don't really make sense from a child's perspective. This is very appropriately a metaphor for growing up and Taeko being a fairly functional if unremarkable office worker as an adult confirms that .

From this perspective i think the farming framing device is less intended to be a statement about how great farming is and more an exploration of how as an adult Taeko doesn't actually need to conform to modern standards if she doesn't want to. As justifiably insulted as she is at the grandmother scene the point does become kind of inescapable of why exactly she's doing this weird dye harvesting job as a pseudo vacation gig for the sake of relaxing when it's you know a regular job like any other. There's no particular reason she can't do it as a living as an adult. So we can see it as encouraging that Taeko is able to break that cycle and do what she wants to do instead of having to keep conforming to other people's standards.

It's interesting how the movie's themes translate easily to the current day even though the expression of those themes is very odd by our standards. The entire farming framing device takes on pollyannic overtones in part because we know the situation only got worse in that industry. The adults in little Taeko's world being really obsessive about not wasting food also only really makes sense when you recall they were from a generation that grew up during the war and viewed food waste with revulsion. Such an attitude would be incomprehensible in Japan today ironically enough because the Taekos of yesteryear are now the predominant cultural milleu.

Really good movie overall. I'd like to take another look at it later.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

Clancy's far from the only one who does that. It's a favorite tactic of the NeoLiberal consensus to portray fictional Democrats pursuing hyper-conservative policies in order to move the Overton Window ever further right. A rather prominent recent example was the Netflix House of Cards adaption which, before the whole thing with Spacey being a pedophile rapist derailed it, was all about a Democrat who pursued such "sensible" and "moderate" positions as abolishing Medicare.

Oh I actually remember this arc, President Rapey’s plan is to actually abolish any sort of benefits, declaring that “you are entitled to nothing,” and build up a mass jobs program. it’s so unwittingly stupid as gently caress

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Oh I actually remember this arc, President Rapey’s plan is to actually abolish any sort of benefits, declaring that “you are entitled to nothing,” and build up a mass jobs program. it’s so unwittingly stupid as gently caress

yeah and they show giant crowds of democratic voters cheering him on as he promises to abolish all social services

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1Vt6MyKj0

We're meant to side with Toby here, somehow.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best part about the west wing is that it’s a liberal fantasy soap opera where they never actually accomplish anything

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay so I finally finished that novel, the first of the Op Center series. Spoilers ahead, if you give a drat.

The primary conflict is that a reunification rally in Seoul gets bombed, and evidence points to North Korea, which ratchets up tensions in the peninsula, but the real culprits are South Korean Ultranationalists that want to trigger a new Korean War because they know that the US-backed South will win, and the North getting crushed will avenge the deaths of the fathers in the 1950s.

These superpatriots stole North Korean uniforms to try and make it look like the DPRK was behind the bombings, and they forge a US general's signature to steal some tabun nerve gas from a military base to try and kill some North Korean soldiers by dumping the gas into the barracks's air conditioning unit, and they infiltrate a team into North Korea to hijack some SCUD missiles with the intent of launching them against South Korea and Japan, all of which are bound to guarantee a hot war popping off.

"Op Center" is this new special branch of the Executive that's supposed to combine intelligence services, surveillance services, and a military commando team, to disarm geopolitical hotspots, such as this one. Their initial response to the developing crisis is hobbled by a computer virus, also planted by the South Koreans, that makes their satellite reconnaisance photos print out fake photos that makes the whole thing untrustworthy, but they eventually get that all sorted out - the tabun gas plot is foiled by one of their agents sniffing out the bad guys, the true story behind the bombings are revealed by a Korean CIA case officer that works with a North Korean spy to uncover that the uniforms were stolen, and the SCUD missiles are "recaptured" by Op Center's commando team after they do a covert insertion into the North.

The whole vibe of the story hinges upon the Op Center folks being the rational, skeptical adults in the room who are willing to wait and chew on an investigation, juxtaposed against all the warhawks that immediately jump to concluding that the DPRK had to have been the ones that did it. There's a bit where the US sends a reconnaisance flight over North Korea, an NK fighter shoots at the recon jet and kills one of the crewmen on the plane, and the President bombs a North Korean airbase in retaliation (with the invisibility and invincibility of the F-117 Nighthawk's bombing run described in exquisite detail). That's not part of the plot hatched by the baddies, but it does serve to illustrate that, much as in the Cuban Missile Crisis, you're going to get more and more incidents that only serve to further escalate a situation, just by having military forces on a hair-trigger be in such close proximity to each other, and that cycle of casualty-causing-accident-leads-to-retaliation-leads-to-counter-retaliation can spiral straight into a hot war unless someone is willing to back off unequivocally.

Op Center is presented as this organization that has the human and signals intelligence capabilities to investigate these sorts of crises, the communications technology and diplomatic ties to allow them to participate in the negotiations required to prevent the crisis from devolving into a full-blown conflict, and a small special forces arm to let them go in and shoot something when it's called for. It's a very technocratic view of how to handle post-Cold War American foreign policy, where the author gets to paint this picture of taking a stand against hawkishness and warmongering, but only insofar as it serves to revert things back to the status quo. It's never really questioned whether the US should or shouldn't be in Korea, only that you need a cool head with a supercomputer to make sure that nobody can use the US presence their for their own nefarious goals.

The positioning of the villains also calls to mind this idea that once all the cop shows come back in 2021, they're only ever going to be going after Neo-Nazis now, because those are the only people left in the liberal conception that can be unequivocally prosecuted with state violence without running into uncomfortable topics of racism and police brutality. In much the same way, it'd be gauche to just write-in Hardline North Korean Communists Invading South Korea Again, but also again you can't depict the militarization of the peninsula as an inherently bad thing, so instead you have to write-in this splinter group of South Koreans who are just so mad at the war not completely destroying the DPRK that they want to spark another one. It's a way to create a third-party to attack without delving into the question of the utility of propping up South Korea as a whole.

By most airport novel techno-thriller standards, it's decent yarn. The most egregiously bad things that stood out to me were:

* during the search to find out who planted the virus in Op Center's computers, the Director orders everyone's phones to be tapped, and explicitly yells that he'll worry about the ACLU some other time
* the satellite photos being accurate enough to do facial-recognition scans and capture a gunfight play out in real-time
* this constant digression about Op Center's Press Secretary wanting to bone the Director

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1Vt6MyKj0

We're meant to side with Toby here, somehow.

lol it's Neera Tanden talking down to Bernie Sanders

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

vyelkin posted:

yeah and they show giant crowds of democratic voters cheering him on as he promises to abolish all social services

So it's not that far off.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i find it terribly amusing how op center somehow has a more positive view of militarist north koreans and a more negative view of reactionary south koreans than anything the supposedly communist infiltrated south korean entertainment industry is willing to produce

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

i find it terribly amusing how op center somehow has a more positive view of militarist north koreans

I forgot to mention that during the SCUD raid, the Op Center commandos manage to shut down all but one of the missiles from launching, but the North Korean anti-aircraft battery commander is informed of what's happening and directs the AA guns to fill the skies with lead and it blows up the Japan-bound SCUD just as it's taking off, so it really is a positive depiction of the DPRK folks as restrained and reasonable people

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

So is Hamilton gonna be like the West Wing for succlib zoomers (they exist)?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Forceholy posted:

So is Hamilton gonna be like the West Wing for succlib zoomers (they exist)?

Hamilton is already for boomers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
it seems like basically everyone likes Hamilton except for the miserable online leftist demographic. They’re the only ones who have the special glasses from They Live that allow them to see it as Objectively Bad

General Dog has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Jul 4, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It's because Hamilton is a manifestation of the Obama presidency

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hamilton is a way for West Wing watcher type liberals to enjoy something patriotic. They think overt displays of patriotism are for uncouth poor people who watch Nascar, not them.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

General Dog posted:

it seems like basically everyone likes Hamilton except for the miserable online leftist demographic. They’re the only ones who have the special glasses from They Live that allow them to see it as Objectively Bad

there are real problems with hamilton but this is what happens when your dislike of something stems from your dislike of the people who like that thing

in the world where lanyards never fall for hamilton online leftists would never go into histrionics when hamilton is mentioned, it’d be at most “lol you mean 1776 but with rap?”

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm watching Gettysburg for the 4th and its funny how all the attempts to make the Confederates look good just make them come across as arrogant shithead with even the tiniest bit of context

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I liked the rotating lazy Susan thing on the stage in Hamilton

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1279490035151245317?s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hamilton seems like a decent musical if you're into that sort of thing but there was definitely a cultural moment when a bunch of liberal elites in Washington and New York were all going to see it every night and gushing about how it was the greatest cultural moment in modern American history and how you weren't a human being unless you saw it and loved it, and meanwhile it's literally something you can only see if you go to New York and pay like $1000 a ticket so the overwhelming majority of the country was just left out of this discourse and then mocked for being left out of the discourse. Also the idea of casting people of colour as rich white men who irl were slaveowners and then they rap about how progressive they are is kind of offputting to me but idk.

On the bright side it's given us some good jokes in other pieces of media mocking the rich lib crowd for their love of Hamilton. Thinking here of moments like the one in Knives Out where a rich liberal quotes Hamilton's "immigrants, we get the job done" line to an actual working-class immigrant and she's like "what the gently caress are you talking about"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

StashAugustine posted:

I'm watching Gettysburg for the 4th and its funny how all the attempts to make the Confederates look good just make them come across as arrogant shithead with even the tiniest bit of context

At least one good thing that's come out of all the recent troubles has been that it's okay to call out the Confederacy for being objectively pure evil for the first time since Reconstruction ended. Incremental progress has been made! But seriously becoming Leftist has hurt my ability to watch so much TV and Film. Most anything Civil War related from more than around 10-15 years ago I now see for being repugnant slaver apologia.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Remember when Pence went to Hamilton after getting elected and the cast scolded the audience for booing him and said they hoped the show inspired him to uphold American values?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

galagazombie posted:

At least one good thing that's come out of all the recent troubles has been that it's okay to call out the Confederacy for being objectively pure evil for the first time since Reconstruction ended. Incremental progress has been made! But seriously becoming Leftist has hurt my ability to watch so much TV and Film. Most anything Civil War related from more than around 10-15 years ago I now see for being repugnant slaver apologia.

you must learn to separate the art from the social structure or you’ll be wholly divorced from being able to interact with normal society, like some 4chan chud screaming about normies but with correct politics

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

As mentioned above, chuds still hate it over the Pence incident. I was looking at a Disney tweet promoting it's release, expecting a mix of excited fans and critical leftists in the replies. Instead it was thousands of chuds demanding that Disney apologize to the Vice-President, and that it was racist to have non-white people portray white people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

vyelkin posted:

Hamilton seems like a decent musical if you're into that sort of thing but there was definitely a cultural moment when a bunch of liberal elites in Washington and New York were all going to see it every night and gushing about how it was the greatest cultural moment in modern American history and how you weren't a human being unless you saw it and loved it, and meanwhile it's literally something you can only see if you go to New York and pay like $1000 a ticket so the overwhelming majority of the country was just left out of this discourse and then mocked for being left out of the discourse. Also the idea of casting people of colour as rich white men who irl were slaveowners and then they rap about how progressive they are is kind of offputting to me but idk.

Hate to do this but in Hamilton's defense is that the full soundtrack was easily available so a lot of people who liked it had never seen it in person

galagazombie posted:

Gettysburg does at least have a solid fifteen minutes of rebels getting owned by artillery so ill sit through some bullshit for it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the reason hamilton is bad is because its fans are utterly insufferably smug

https://twitter.com/Richard_Primus/status/1279436691699388419?p=v
https://twitter.com/Richard_Primus/status/1279440482800734208?p=v

like for a sense of contrast 1776 is also a silly showtunes musical about the founding fathers but in addition to actually being good and giving a poo poo about historical accuracy no one would say watching 1776 is a patriotic statement and anyone who tried to make such a claim would be treated as a loving loon

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jul 5, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The only good kind of musical is a musical with Zero Mostel in it.

Unrelated, but this is very true:

Soup du Jour posted:

you must learn to separate the art from the social structure or you’ll be wholly divorced from being able to interact with normal society, like some 4chan chud screaming about normies but with correct politics

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

beyond the politics the actual music is just straight up embarrassing. epic rap battles of history poo poo

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Woke Hamilton is in house Dumbledore and will use the One Ring to destroy Trump’s horcrux (a bag of Cheetos, lol).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

We’ve been marathoning Search Party on HBO Max tonight and man is that show great. Imagine if the writers of Girls didn’t think the faux eccentricities of white New York trust fund kids were precious and wrote accordingly. Mousy rich person babysitter Dory (Alia Shawkat) becomes obsessed with the disappearance of a girl she barely knew in college because it represents an opportunity to assert herself in the world, and the story unfolds from there. Can’t really say too much about it; just know it is a well written story full of characters that, at worst, are fun to hate. The writing also embraces brevity, so every episode flows perfectly and no element feels like it was written in simply because prestige tv must have endless dramatic convolution. It’s also consistently funny. Worth your time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Soup du Jour posted:

I mean, I get that to a degree. I myself can enjoy lots of older stuff made in less enlightened times. And you always have to divorce stuff like actors real life shittyness from your opinion of the characters, but at some point stuff like that is doing actual objective harm to society. Like all the Copaganda shows constantly running on T.V to this very moment are an important factor of White America's love of the police state. A statistically significant amount of people alive today base their ideas on policing off of Dirty Harry and Death Wish.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

mysterious frankie posted:

We’ve been marathoning Search Party on HBO Max tonight and man is that show great. Imagine if the writers of Girls didn’t think the faux eccentricities of white New York trust fund kids were precious and wrote accordingly. Mousy rich person babysitter Dory (Alia Shawkat) becomes obsessed with the disappearance of a girl she barely knew in college because it represents an opportunity to assert herself in the world, and the story unfolds from there. Can’t really say too much about it; just know it is a well written story full of characters that, at worst, are fun to hate. The writing also embraces brevity, so every episode flows perfectly and no element feels like it was written in simply because prestige tv must have endless dramatic convolution. It’s also consistently funny. Worth your time.

This is exactly true - every character is privileged, awkward and self-obsessed ... to the point that I had to give up after 4 episodes because I hated them all. Not negating your recommendation, it's remarkable how the show takes apart the whole "young people in the city (who just happen to be invisibly rich)" trope. Shawkat is quite good, seemingly as the only person who asks questions and feels uncomfortable about her life.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

nonathlon posted:

This is exactly true - every character is privileged, awkward and self-obsessed ... to the point that I had to give up after 4 episodes because I hated them all. Not negating your recommendation, it's remarkable how the show takes apart the whole "young people in the city (who just happen to be invisibly rich)" trope. Shawkat is quite good, seemingly as the only person who asks questions and feels uncomfortable about her life.

It gets better as it gets worse; I stopped tonight around middle of season two and I wish I could tell you where the story has gone. It’s not what I was expecting (quirky people learn quirky lessons about their quirky lives) and keeps aggressively dismantling the trope.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/1279827438470459393

gently caress moopies

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Soup du Jour posted:

The only thing a person has to learn is to keep shut their mouth and bare it in lite conversation. Learning how to not blurt things out becomes easier when a person understands how art and the culture are connected because if they're not fully aware of it, then embarrassing statements are blurted out in uncomfortable ways.

But it's not helped by the fact that the United States is big mixture of cultures with no consensus on what is "NORMAL." Movies which are seen as too progressives to some people, can be completely bullshit conservative to others.

See Broke Back Mountain Vs. the Kids in the Hall Sketch where they watched a hollywood gay movie "I've seen the wife naked 5 times, and they haven't even kissed."

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

General Dog posted:

Go gently caress yourself trump voter

And Hamilton is terrible too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this man calls himself a film critic yet is apparently unaware that this is the explicit plot of birth of a nation ben hur or literally any world war two movie presumably because his definition of blockbuster is brightly colored garbage intended to be consumed by children