Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I just got a rail clear and had a hell of a time with Hades spin' too. I was at pretty high heat and the Forced Overtime threw my timing off so much. It was a squeaker.

I've started taking Forced Overtime with every run, no matter what, so I can force myself to get used to the different timing. I'm getting to the point where I have to start picking Pacts that I ACTUALLY don't want to and both levels of that Pact will delay me having to pick annoying bullshit like more enemies or more damage.

Internet Explorer posted:

For sure, just need to get used to it. Not using it with the rail was also my conclusion, which made me think they should really put something out in the weapon courtyard so you can change your mirror choices.

I still use it with the rail, but mostly because I just don't use extra dashes anymore--I generally don't take them from Hermes either, since for the most part it lowers room clear times and doesn't hugely impact damage avoidance. It's definitely harder if you're using a primary attack build on the rail (that doesn't have the seeking hammer upgrade), but not massively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just had the most disastrous Exagryph run where I got my initial Artemis attack boon, and then completely gently caress-all boons that actually synergize with it. It was like...Aphrodite dash, Poseidon damage boost on entering room, just complete nonsense. Still made it to the second phase of the final fight but I was so goddamn tilted at the poo poo luck I got which ended a 5-streak run.

Then the next run gave loot buffs to the shield, and it was another slaughterfest with Demeter/Ares and the Chaos aspect. Broke my speed record too, as if the game got sick of my streak then decided to apologize right after.

Now it's back to Exagryph for the loot buff, and hopefully this time I can actually get good poo poo to synergize with the Artemis attack.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Honestly, I find you don't really need to find complementary boons so much when you run with Artemis. That's one of the things I love about her. If you get Artemis on your main damage dealing attack then pretty much anything else you get is just gravy.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just had kind of a crap run too. I tries out the Beowulf shield, had some fun with it, got an extra bloodstone from Chaos. I got the heroic Zeus cast upgrade, that sets off a little lightning storm whenever the cast procs, so basically I could bullrush into a group of enemies and everything would die. For my first hammer upgrade, I picked the one that turns the bullrush into a projectile. This was a bad choice; the projectile is a bit easier to miss with than the bullrush, and I usually want to follow up the bullrush with an immediate attack anyway. A while after that I got the Poseidon boon that increases knockback on my main attack. This, it turns out, also increases knockback on the bullrush. In other words, whenever I fired it, the enemies it struck were all pushed out of the blast-zone. I could still get the full effect against an enemy against a wall, but I'd basically ruined the weapon. Died to the minotaur and it was a relief.

Regarding Heat, I basically have the one that increases enemy reaction times on permanently. It's worth 3, and it saves me from having to retrain my muscle memory every run.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just spent 4 diamonds on a cosmetic then after the next run unlocked the contractor option to let Achilles visit Patrocles which costs... 7 diamonds :smithicide:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Shield boys have got to be the hardest non-boss enemy in game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Khanstant posted:

Definitely the most annoying, and once I would have agreed with you, but I probably take more damage from the giant rats and the satyrs in Styx these days.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I finally did it, I have beaten Hades.

All it took was giving the controller a chance (I've been playing with Keyboard+M) and it suddenly clicked, the melee weapons that I was having trouble with like the sword and spear suddenly flowed like water and I was consistenly getting to the final boss. Watching some videos on youtube about how the boon system really worked also helped. It seems I've been really playing with a hand tied up on my back all this time.

In the end I did it with the good ol' Rail, I thought I would end up using a special-focused build because I got the 3 grenade hammer, but the game started offering me Zeus boons and I lucked out and got both the Zeus-Artemis duo and the Zeus legendary as well, the primary attack dealt enourmous amounts of damage. My only complaint about the controller is that aiming sometimes can be a bit wonky.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I watched a walkthrough-guide run in youtube, and while I still have to improve in my skills, what I learned is that the big difference is my lack of knowledge in the game. The dude was going for specific god boons that were good for his weapon while avoiding others, and then going for a specific duo boon that he knew it was excellent for his build, getting first the complementary boon, and then picking a specific god keepsake and rolling again the doors until he got it. In the end he used self-guided blades that melted enemies in two seconds. I was watching it and thinking 'Not picking things randomly? that's... that's... cheating!'.

I joke, but really, building a correct build, rpg style, is a more important factor than I believed at first. I guess because the game is solid as an action game it fooled me in that regard.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 4, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Turin Turambar posted:

I watched a walkthrough-guide run in youtube, and while I still have to improve in my skills, what I learned is that the big difference is my lack of knowledge in the game. The dude was going for specific god boons that were good for his weapon while avoiding others, and then going for a specific duo boon that he knew it was excellent for his build, getting first the complementary boon, and then picking a specific god keepsake and rolling again the doors until he got it. In the end he used self-guided blades that melted enemies in two seconds. I was watching it and thinking 'Not picking things randomly? that's... that's... cheating!'.

Yeah, I watched Jawless Paul's walkthrough too and drawed some inspiration from it, I wish I had the darkness for rerolls though. I shoulf have read more about the mechanics before I started playing because I wasted a lot of resources in trap choices.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Nothing cemented my distaste for the bow more than fighting shield boys.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 4, 2020

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The hidden sword aspect feels like it's going to eat a nerf at some point. I was chunking the final boss for 1.5k crits, poor guy didn't even get a chance to use his laser spin before falling over.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just got my fifth clear, first with a melee weapon - the shield - and it was also my speed record (31 minutes and change) and ironically it was all because I really took my time in boss encounters instead of spamming everything all over the place.

However, the Hermes Dashes+ boon is still my crutch. That third dash is gold. If I can get that with Athena dash I could probably clear with any weapon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's a bummer, because outside of lucky boon combos I feel like the sword and aspects are the worst of the lot because they're all geared towards offense in a game where defense is extremely important.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Got my second consecutive escape, this time with the bow (Hera), got a hammer with double shot in the first chamber, and even earned one duo and two legendary boons. This run was ridiculously lucky, which is kinda funny because I never got far with the bow.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I joke, but really, building a correct build, rpg style, is a more important factor than I believed at first. I guess because the game is solid as an action game it fooled me in that regard.

Giving up strategically plays into this. I've had a couple of really successful runs carried by switching my weapon after I've seen the first boon or hanmer options. If I go in with Arthur and the first boon had epic Demeter attack, I'll probably reset and come back with fists.

The issues with Ares have been well explained in the past bunch of pages but I just want to emphasize how RIDIC Ares attack, Athena dash, duo is. Each dash-attack will do a full Doom instantly.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 4, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Attempt #33 I believe. And done. :)

The key was to use the shield as a...shield instead of a freaking ninja throwing star and block damage with it. Innovate I know. Well the real key was the 'charged shot' modifier, allowing me to block damage and also prepare a decently amount of ranged damage, piercing too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I legit don't know how to block with shield. I assume it's a thing like Link to the Past where you just line your shield up with certain attacks and do nothing? Getting Athena deflect on attack is the only way I know how to block with shield or any weapon.

edit: I also don't use Bull Rush very often!

Wafflecopper posted:

Definitely the most annoying, and once I would have agreed with you, but I probably take more damage from the giant rats and the satyrs in Styx these days.

My true downfall is getting a room full of them. I was on a run and got a room with Poseidon/Athena and chose to fight Poseidon and he summoned like two waves of almost nothing but shield boys, it took very long and was taking attrition damage the whole time. Couldn't stand still to chain-backstab em b/c of the poseidon waves going around. Didn't die there, but two seconds later I walked into a room with no HP and died to whatever immediately.

I've gotten better at the sewer level enemies, but it's highly reliant on build. Those tiny rooms make good casts and specials godly, last time I got there I knew I didn't have enough lives for Hades, but it was still worth clearing out every satyr room because it was free real estate with my bouncy crasher splash cast that basically hits the entire room with critical wall smash damage. Walk-in, cast cast cast, its over baby!

It's when you gotta slash those fuckers with your weapon that the trouble starts, a single poison puddle can chunk your health if you panic trying to find the healing pool, or the healing pool is smack dab in the middle of some trap-blades.

Speaking of traps, can you just become immune to them? I've taken the buff to get 75% reduced damage, but never actually tested the math for myself. There are other damage resistances too, do they stack and if you get 100% do you just avoid all trap damage so you can just stand in them and trick enemies into coming to you?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Anybody else experiencing bad response in new patch? Feels like my left mouse button only works 50% of time.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

I legit don't know how to block with shield. I assume it's a thing like Link to the Past where you just line your shield up with certain attacks and do nothing? Getting Athena deflect on attack is the only way I know how to block with shield or any weapon.

When you're charging your bull rush, your shield is up. Just point it toward what you want to block.

Buller posted:

Anybody else experiencing bad response in new patch? Feels like my left mouse button only works 50% of time.

For the most part, things have felt fine to me. Initially, I felt like they may have calmed down some of the input buffering when mashing repeatedly, but I'm not sure about that now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I legit don't know how to block with shield. I assume it's a thing like Link to the Past where you just line your shield up with certain attacks and do nothing?

Yeah, just hold the attack button to block any incoming attack from the front (180º coverage? not sure). Hades mega attack? Super easy to nullify, just hold a button, it isn't like Dead cells where you have to time it.
The only thing you have to take care is to avoid the dudes that hurl explosives into the air in arcs and the suicidal mini carriages from Elysium

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man, I've been missing out, I figured it was only useful for little projectiles n poo poo. Wish Skelly had an attack mode so I could test how far the shield goes when I'm in a big slash or something.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Khanstant posted:

edit: I also don't use Bull Rush very often!

Those two issues are connected.
While Zag is charging bull rush, and during the charge, the shield is raised and thus will block attacks from Zagreus' front.

E: the gently caress? I swear I refreshed the page before posting this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, two questions now I beat Hades once.

How to use the ambrosia? You have to use the nectar in someone several times before? The wording in the wiki is slightly confusing.

What's the easiest Heat 1 modifier, in your opinion?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

How to use the ambrosia? You have to use the nectar in someone several times before? The wording in the wiki is slightly confusing.

Ambrosia is something you use to upgrade a relationship after you've given them like 5 or so necters, It has another use but you need to get a great to maxed out relationship with key people for that to come up.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

1) yes it’s after you give them enough nectars to progress the relationship

2) I’d say the one that gives them one free shield, can’t remember the name. Although it can be really annoying for thinks like Exagryph if your first hit is usually the grenade since it just negates all the damage from that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Turin Turambar posted:

There are a handful of decent choices early on (and you can just do them one at a time for the prophecy): extra health and extra enemies aren't as bad as they sound (especially because the extra enemies drop more gold), and Extreme Measures 1 causes some amusing plot interactions (and there are more lines if you turn it off later).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm not loving up by trading my ambrosia for blood, right?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Incoherence posted:

There are a handful of decent choices early on (and you can just do them one at a time for the prophecy): extra health and extra enemies aren't as bad as they sound (especially because the extra enemies drop more gold), and Extreme Measures 1 causes some amusing plot interactions (and there are more lines if you turn it off later).

IMO the enemies block first hit one is the safest. Just spam some weak attack before going ham.

What do yall like for a starting keepsake? I was defaulting to the free gold but now I'm liking free/better chaos gates, since a good boost there can be huge.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm not loving up by trading my ambrosia for blood, right?

Ambrosia is to get companions.
https://hades.gamepedia.com/Companions

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Eschatos posted:

What do yall like for a starting keepsake? I was defaulting to the free gold but now I'm liking free/better chaos gates, since a good boost there can be huge.

This honestly depends on what weapon you're running and what you're hoping to do. At this point, I almost 100% of the time start with the boon of a god I want to force to appear or Chaos .

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Turin Turambar posted:

I highly recommend the harder boss one. You'll have to get used to the new bosses at some point so it might as well be now.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Like 80% of my runs now are egg, egg, some god, hourglass. If no particular god appeals I'll take purse in Elysium... but I should probably take acorn since preventing 1 loss of death defiance is worth more and I'm still struggling with the boss at +40% speed.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

What do I gotta do to start being able to give people Ambrosia? I've got at least half a dozen people with enough hearts to where I can't give em more nectar.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Eschatos posted:

What do I gotta do to start being able to give people Ambrosia? I've got at least half a dozen people with enough hearts to where I can't give em more nectar.

There is a story block that has to be cleared up before you can continue to improve the relationship. What exactly it is varies depending on the character, but usually resolved by just continuing to speak with everyone, or accomplishing some specific task.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 5, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I dont know posted:

There is a story block that has to be cleared up before you can continue to improve the relationship. What exactly it is varies depending on the character, but usually resolved by just continuing to speak with everyone, or accomplishing some specific task.

there are also early access blocks where the content just isnt implemented yet

you can tell in the codex; a "lock" icon is something you can unlock by progressing stories, a "clock" icon means you just need to wait for an update to add more

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder how people build the bow. And I mean real bow builds, not picking the bow and then focusing on casting or weird dash builds. I tried to focus on straight damage on one run:
-I had a starting boon (or hammer upgrade? can't remember) that that does +100% damage on an easier to execute power up shot
-I got a attack damage boon at level 8 (!) and an another one at level 4 (thanks to the boon of 'pom of power applies twice).
-I got a damage keepsake.

The burst damage of a single arrow was pretty good, but still, the overall DPS wasn't enough, in comparison with other weapons at the same point in the game. Why? Because you lose time repositioning yourself a lot, aiming and releasing the arrow, that's why the real DPS (think total damage every 10 seconds) wasn't good. I get that ranged weapons should do lower damage than melee weapons to compensate being safer to use, but it wasn't really any safer, not being able to move while holding up the aim is already big enough of a con by itself, now add that the low DPS means encounters were around one third longer than with other weapons, that meant more time to make a mistake and being hit.
I'm still learning the game, but it seems to me the bow needs a buff.

On other news, I discovered a nice synergy between two Poseidon buffs. There is one that does +300% damage when you push enemies into walls, and another that does aoe damage + push in your dashes, once leveled up both it's funny to just dash around and seeing people die hitting walls.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I'm not a fan of the bow either. The most success I've had has been Chiron aspect + Dionysius special, so I could stack a bunch of poison. But compared to something like Excalibur it still felt weak and awkward.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel like the bow would be a lot better if you didn't need to charge the basic shot just to fire a snap shot. Would at least make Chiron feel so much less fussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, faster basic shots, or if you want to maintain the bow identity of a slow weapon, it needs a hefty +20-25% damage buff to the base numbers.