Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Hammerite posted:

It's true and when he buys the forum, Jeffrey is going to move it to the blockchain.
Based on the rate bitcoiners have been able to move forums vBulletin is probably safe until at least 2040.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hammerite posted:

It's true and when he buys the forum, Jeffrey is going to move it to the blockchain.
My uncle works for etherium and he agrees

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Hammerite posted:

SA has 203797 total users, so once this happens all Seraph has to do is create 102000 new accounts and he can take over SA via 51% attack

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ad by Khad posted:

SA has 203797 total users, so once this happens all ****** has to do is create 102000 new accounts and he can take over SA via 51% attack

Dont say his name

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
yeah seriously, identify him by his wallet address which he never posted

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

SA has 203797 total users, so once this happens all Seraph has to do is create 102000 new accounts and he can take over SA via 51% attack

that is some bitcoin math right there

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the yos coin ico will save the forums

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Yeah let’s just entirely forget that whole massive waste of power thing.
You don’t happen to punch women do you? You seem the type.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean yeah agreed, but why is benzo overdose your preferred way of killing off all boomers?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean yeah agreed, but why is benzo overdose your preferred way of killing off all boomers?

what do they need bitcoin for? benzo's paradise IS a legitimate business

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
monorail and flying cars: like bitcoin, perpetual grift and hot air

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

The world could run approx 1 city block worth of society with bitcoin while the rest of the planet is miners and power generators. AGC.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Shumagorath posted:

monorail and flying cars: like bitcoin, perpetual grift and hot air
I mean the alternative would be to acknowledge the reality that the buttcoiner's preferred future resembles Mad Max: Fury Road more than anything else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kw0134 posted:

I mean the alternative would be to acknowledge the reality that the buttcoiner's preferred future resembles Mad Max: Fury Road more than anything else.

I mean....if I was guaranteed the cars I could be brought onboard here.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

As if the guy walking his guard dog in libertarian paradise wouldn't be heavily armed.

The energy wasting flying cars are in the spirit of crypto though.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Yeah let’s just entirely forget that whole massive waste of power thing.

The power isn't wasted.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Libertarianism is the most juvenile and intellectually bankrupt ideology one could hold, so it makes sense it's kind of the buttcoin default.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ghosTTy posted:

The power isn't wasted.

Your life is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ghosTTy posted:

The power isn't wasted.
Counterpoint: yes it is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Terrible Opinions posted:

boomers all crushed under pianos

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

For the sake of the lurkers, the power is by definition wasted because the actual work of recording transactions can be done on a Casio watch with a CR2032 battery, the rest is thrown away in trying to solve a Sudoku every time you want to append cell QZA2543 on the infinite spreadsheet that is the blockchain. "But what about 'securing' the blockchain?" some wide eyed crypto idiot enthusiast will ask. This only matters if you have to make the blockchain trustless, and in reality is worthless because you already have to trust multiple outside entities to not gently caress you over. The miners are concentrated into a cabal. The exchanges are loosely regulated, if at all, and scams are common. There are multiple lines of failure in terms of trust that show the wisdom of trustlessness but more importantly that you should never transact with crypto people in the first place, making it a moot point. It's so wasted that the vast majority of crypto transactions are effectively off the blockchain, putting lie into the supposed "value" of such "decentralization." (It also belies the promise of making everything blockchain, but thankfully that's stopped being a hype point recently.)

So any time someone says "but the blockchain will do x" you know one of two things: the speaker is delusional and is fooling himself and should not be listened to, or he's a fraudster trying to fool you and should not be listened to.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Motronic posted:

I mean....if I was guaranteed the cars I could be brought onboard here.
You could always buy some cheap land in Nevada and make the cars and drive around in assless gimp leather (no one's going to judge) on weekends and go back to civilization on weekdays. Hell, I'll bet there's a business opportunity for that: post-apocalyptic dude ranch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kw0134 posted:

You could always buy some cheap land in Nevada and make the cars and drive around in assless gimp leather (no one's going to judge) on weekends and go back to civilization on weekdays. Hell, I'll bet there's a business opportunity for that: post-apocalyptic dude ranch.

Please stop doxing me. Thanks.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the people behind stuxnet would do the world (and laffs) a huge favour if they would target butt miners for their next trick

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Hammerite posted:

the people behind stuxnet would do the world (and laffs) a huge favour if they would target butt miners for their next trick
No need to get state actors involved, Butterfly Labs will put unaccounted wear on your equipment too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

kw0134 posted:

So any time someone says "but the blockchain will do x" you know one of two things: the speaker is delusional and is fooling himself and should not be listened to, or he's a fraudster trying to fool you and should not be listened to.

At this point it feels like every Bitcoin enthusiast should be looked at as a grifter looking for a mark.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kw0134 posted:

Remember how they want (prob still do) to store the Blockchain on satellites so it can be accessed by everyone anywhere.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Remember how they want (prob still do) to store the Blockchain on satellites so it can be accessed by everyone anywhere.
Satellites eventually come down. To truly preserve the blockchain against the coming apocalypse they need their own https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trementina_Base.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Only if we get to stamp THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR all over it.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

A giant bird bath with an engraving "Nothing valued is here"

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

kw0134 posted:

For the sake of the lurkers, the power is by definition wasted because the actual work of recording transactions can be done on a Casio watch with a CR2032 battery, the rest is thrown away in trying to solve a Sudoku every time you want to append cell QZA2543 on the infinite spreadsheet that is the blockchain. "But what about 'securing' the blockchain?" some wide eyed crypto idiot enthusiast will ask. This only matters if you have to make the blockchain trustless, and in reality is worthless because you already have to trust multiple outside entities to not gently caress you over. The miners are concentrated into a cabal. The exchanges are loosely regulated, if at all, and scams are common. There are multiple lines of failure in terms of trust that show the wisdom of trustlessness but more importantly that you should never transact with crypto people in the first place, making it a moot point. It's so wasted that the vast majority of crypto transactions are effectively off the blockchain, putting lie into the supposed "value" of such "decentralization." (It also belies the promise of making everything blockchain, but thankfully that's stopped being a hype point recently.)

Nice meltdown

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

Nice meltdown

A well argued and well reasoned post is not a meltdown. Although I can see how you’re unable to tell when something is either of those things.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
he thought he was quoting one of the ice caps

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

He meant his Bitcoin servers were melting down

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth Brooks posted:

At this point it feels like every Bitcoin enthusiast should be looked at as a grifter looking for a mark.

I'm pretty sure a massive percentage of them are both, literally everything I've seen about bitcoin is delusional grifters grifting grifters top to bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

But is it really a ghosttit response without a meaningless and contextless chart? I feel checkmated.