Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Countblanc posted:

Close - in an SBS oda said those are the real world nationality of the straw hats. But brook was Austrian, chopper was Canadian, Robin was Russian, and franky was American. If they actually went that route for casting it'd be cool

It looks like those flags are in order of who joins the crew with those nationalities in mind, for whatever that's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Sub Harrison posted:

Excuse me, Africa is not a country. :goonsay:

Neither is America

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Xarbala posted:

Today Parrotine learns about trans people

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Yamato's big introduction post-reveal is that of a hot chick with side titty. they're probably not trans, folks

Today grieving for Gandalf doesn't learn about trans people. :rolleyes:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

I can’t see live action Chopper being anything but terrifying. That said I feel like putting in every Straw Hat in the first season would be too much. I think it’d be better to just do the first five and roughly adapt the East Blue saga.

Live action Chopper is gonna be a real reindeer, they'll make it look like he's talking by putting peanut butter in his mouth like Mr Ed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

In 10 episodes, how much of the crew would even show up? Series is loooooong & it'd be a shame to rush through the early stuff.

Ep 1 – Luffy / Zoro
Ep 2 – Nami / Buggy
Ep 3 – Ussop's whole isle dealie
Ep 4 – Sanji and the resturant
Ep 5 – Arlong part one
Ep 6 – Arlong part two
Ep 7-10 – Alabasta?

I suppose that gets ya to Robin.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

so the narrator (that does the char intros [ussop???]) is not on the up and up with these things, i guess?? SAD!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I still think Naomi Scott should play Nico Robin.

Also maybe this is just me as a black man that's lived most of his life with a big afro but I'm gonna be real disappointed if Brook isn't black.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Yamato's big introduction post-reveal is that of a hot chick with side titty. they're probably not trans, folks

And O-kiku was the model of traditional Japanese femininity on her introduction.

I mean whats the evidence we have other than Yamato being referred to as male in literally every single mention of him and by his own admission.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 4, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Living Brook will be played by Slash.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So uh... thoughts... just saw this theory and I don't put it past Oda.

Yamato is future Otama or Otama is past Yamato, because their names are reverse of each other with an added Y

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Onmi posted:

So uh... thoughts... just saw this theory and I don't put it past Oda.

Yamato is future Otama or Otama is past Yamato, because their names are reverse of each other with an added Y

That's not how Japanese letters work.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Julias posted:

That's not how Japanese letters work.

Don't bring your logic into this.

Heckie Holmes
Jul 31, 2008

Bleck posted:

Also maybe this is just me as a black man that's lived most of his life with a big afro but I'm gonna be real disappointed if Brook isn't black.

My problem is I can't unsee Kumi Mizuno as what a real life Nico Robin would look like.

https://i.redd.it/u6vcsk23uxv31.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/8b5ddc9167aeb81d55d50b512fdad10a/tumblr_prus07gZDf1txynxco4_500.jpg

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bleck posted:

brook has a jew fro i think

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
human brook looks exactly like all of my ashkenazi jewish musician friends

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

human brook looks exactly like all of my ashkenazi jewish musician friends

Are they also skeletons?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yamato is hot !!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Andrast posted:

Are they also skeletons?

Everyone is a skeleton when you think about it.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
If Ace traveled to Wano I wonder if he ever had any kind of interactions with Kaido in the past. Since he's got king queen and Jack, maybe the spade pirates were originally an offshoot of kaidos forces?

I wonder if Kaido was really coming to save Ace at marineford?

Maybe Shanks is really a vilian?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i wonder if black maria is yamato's mom

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Seeing Yamoto unmasked has actually made me think about whether there's ever been any kind of expanded story about all the random people that just have horns in One Piece, like the other offshoot races or mutations

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

Seeing Yamoto unmasked has actually made me think about whether there's ever been any kind of expanded story about all the random people that just have horns in One Piece, like the other offshoot races or mutations

Yamato has really poked a huge hole in the "Kaido is actually a dragon with an oni fruit" theory, as much as I liked it

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Entirely off subject, and something I'm sure got pointed out at least once in here, but I wanna just get it out.

I was thinking about the silhouettes of the Numbers we've seen so far. I'm thinking that it isn't just Oda trying to make them scarier. What if they were test subjects of SMILES for Ancient Zoans, but they were a critical failure and they ended up as stupid monstrosities that even the rest of the crew is barely safe from?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My thought for how the first season of Netflix One Piece would hash out, assuming mostly half hour episodes:

1-Hourlong pilot, intro, Romance Dawn, Alvida
2-Zoro and Morgan
3-Nami and Buggy
4 and 5-Usopp and Kuro
6 and 7-Baratie and Sanji
8-10-Arlong Park

I'm not sure if I'd stick Loguetown at the end of East Blue or the beginning of the Grand Line.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tir McDohl posted:

Yamato has really poked a huge hole in the "Kaido is actually a dragon with an oni fruit" theory, as much as I liked it
I was thinking the same thing, but it does lean more into there just possibly being an entire Oni race of people out there, nobody I recall has ever commented on the fact there's people running around with horns other than giants relating to Oars

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

scary ghost dog posted:

brook has a jew fro i think, human brook looks exactly like all of my ashkenazi jewish musician friends

I look basically exactly like human brook, skin tone and all

black people come in more colours than Ebony

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

My thought for how the first season of Netflix One Piece would hash out, assuming mostly half hour episodes:

1-Hourlong pilot, intro, Romance Dawn, Alvida
2-Zoro and Morgan
3-Nami and Buggy
4 and 5-Usopp and Kuro
6 and 7-Baratie and Sanji
8-10-Arlong Park

I'm not sure if I'd stick Loguetown at the end of East Blue or the beginning of the Grand Line.

This was pretty similar to what I came up with in my head, except I'd put the zoro stuff in the first ep, freeing up an episode for Loguetown and having that serve as a proper finale with a preview of things to come. Also might split up baratie and arlong park so they're both 2.5 episodes each depending on how they oaced/scripted it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

I feel like there's definitely a story implied there. A whole bunch of Kaidou's subordinates have horns, and I don't think they're all supposed to be related to him. It reminds me of how all of Enel's subordinates had the same type of wings and it was later revealed on the moon that the three races of sky people were defined by their wings- but the wings were never mentioned in dialog.

Marco said "Huh, they're calling it Onigashima now. Interesting." when he first met up with the Samurai and Law. I bet the island itself has some history do with these people. Possibly it's the skull/corpse of an actual creature whose descendants have been getting smaller and smaller.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They have horns because they're horny.

On the topic of the character getting the redactions that's cool of Oda, though I know he may have formed his views in a weird way. Wasn't he close friends with the VA for Ivankov? Like as gross as the okama/newkama stuff sometimes got, on a like, gut level it seems to be coming from a good place, and I don't think he's had an evil trans/nb/nonconforming person in the entire series, unless that theory about Crocodile turns out to be true.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
He's also got Izo nonchalantly hanging out with what I think I'm correctly interpreting as feminine hairdo and lipstick, which is cool. That's how it read to me at first at least. Typing this out has made me less sure.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Nessus posted:

They have horns because they're horny.

On the topic of the character getting the redactions that's cool of Oda, though I know he may have formed his views in a weird way. Wasn't he close friends with the VA for Ivankov? Like as gross as the okama/newkama stuff sometimes got, on a like, gut level it seems to be coming from a good place, and I don't think he's had an evil trans/nb/nonconforming person in the entire series, unless that theory about Crocodile turns out to be true.
Ivankov was directly based off a friend of his, the friend then learned about the character and then auditioned for the role of Ivankov in the anime.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

He's also got Izo nonchalantly hanging out with what I think I'm correctly interpreting as feminine hairdo and lipstick, which is cool. That's how it read to me at first at least. Typing this out has made me less sure.
I think Izo is specifically a cross-dresser, while his sister Kiku is explicitly trans. They're both presented as valid and cool. It's a pretty neat scenario.

In general I agree that Oda's depiction of gender-nonconformity comes from a place of respect. All the Okama have been explicitly good people. The problems in the past have been equal parts insensitivity to some specific issues and Sanji. Just Sanji in general. He's a problem.

Oda made a bunch of jokes about how ugly and unappealing old lady Kokoro was, for instance, but that's not because he doesn't like old ladies as people. Kokoro was clearly an awesome, admirable character. Oda's just so horny that he can't help but bring everything back around to how horny things makes him, and in the case of Sanji and the Okama... it resulted in something incredibly gross.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Julias posted:

This was pretty similar to what I came up with in my head, except I'd put the zoro stuff in the first ep, freeing up an episode for Loguetown and having that serve as a proper finale with a preview of things to come. Also might split up baratie and arlong park so they're both 2.5 episodes each depending on how they oaced/scripted it.

I could see putting Zoro in the first ep and having Romance Dawn maybe interspersed throughout.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I would simply not make a live-action One Piece series because what the poo poo that is a terrible idea for several reasons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sorry Arist, that ship has sailed

Ha ha, that's a One Piece joke for you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its gonna be wild for sure

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don’t want to go on a boring adventure* like that!

*a mediocre live action adaptation

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Arist posted:

I would simply not make a live-action One Piece series because what the poo poo that is a terrible idea for several reasons

It might suck but it might not. And hey, if someone wants to try, why not let em'.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Has there been a live action version of an anime/manga that actually turned out well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

live die repeat